Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Bicester Red

Berwick

Berwick the only team in England play in Scottish league

They play a local derby v Cove Rangers (Just along the A!)

Two legs start today

Could become no teams in Scottish league

Hope not

Even though its great to see new team come into the league

1 hour ago, Bicester Red said:

Pretty sure they aren’t the only team in England. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Two legs start today

Hope not

Drinking since lunch time?

10 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Are there no teams in Scotland now? Stops Celtic winning 9 in a row I suppose............

• Like 1

They'll have to rearrange the Scottish non league then. Cove is from Aberdeen and were the Highland League champions. Berwick due to their location, will drop into the Lowland league.

Were Berwick officially still at war with Germany until relatively recently?

Sure I heard one that because it was disputed in the late 30s early 40s, it became a bit of an issue.

Or was that all a myth?

My brother was there today, said Berwick were shocking. Real shame, wonder what league they will play in next season?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sure I heard one that because it was disputed in the late 30s early 40s, it became a bit of an issue.

Or was that all a myth?

Russia, not Germany!  

*Thanks to a bureaucratic mistake, it appeared that all 12,000 residents of Berwick-upon-Tweed were excluded from the 1856 peace treaty between Russia and England that Queen Victoria announced after the Crimean War. It was concluded that omission from the Treaty of Paris had left the town in a long-running state of war.

*Not my own work!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Cove smashed them 4-0 if anyone is interested. So no English clubs left........literally anywhere!!!!

4 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Are there no teams in Scotland now? Stops Celtic winning 9 in a row I suppose............

3 hours ago, 22A said:

They'll have to rearrange the Scottish non league then. Cove is from Aberdeen and were the Highland League champions. Berwick due to their location, will drop into the Lowland league.

2 hours ago, PolskRed said:

My brother was there today, said Berwick were shocking. Real shame, wonder what league they will play in next season?

I daresay the ultimate outcome will be the same, but this was only the first leg....

On 11/05/2019 at 10:36, Bicester Red said:

Two legs start today

Hope not

I travelled on the East Coast rail mainline about twenty years ago and the Berwick Rangers stadium is awesome.

The fence of concrete posts and one tubular bar at the top, combined with a large garden shed in use as a Main Stand is unique in senior league football! No terracing either.

The view over the railway line to the North Sea is beautiful although on a windy February evening game, it might not be so appealing.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or was that all a myth?

"One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". When the Treaty of Paris was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I travelled on the East Coast rail mainline about twenty years ago and the Berwick Rangers stadium is awesome.

The fence of concrete posts and one tubular bar at the top, combined with a large garden shed in use as a Main Stand is unique in senior league football! No terracing either.

The view over the railway line to the North Sea is beautiful although on a windy February evening game, it might not be so appealing.

Absolutely this. I went to watch Montrose over the Easter weekend and then got the East Coast line to get down to Sheffield for the Wednesday game on the Bank Holiday, and the train line goes right past the Arbroath, Raith, Berwick grounds all the while weaving in and out of amazing landscapes with the North Sea in the background. Stunning places and felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olé said:

felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

No need to travel to Scotland; Horfield has one.

Just like Eastville did, Berwick's speedway track is round the football pitch.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Absolutely this. I went to watch Montrose over the Easter weekend and then got the East Coast line to get down to Sheffield for the Wednesday game on the Bank Holiday, and the train line goes right past the Arbroath, Raith, Berwick grounds all the while weaving in and out of amazing landscapes with the North Sea in the background. Stunning places and felt a bit naive for having limited myself to English football grounds as clearly some amazing ramshackle places to watch football up there.

Did you go there for the football or another reason?

If it's the former, you have my admiration as a dedicated football nut.

I lived in Livingston for two years but didn't venture north of Dundee for any games.

8 hours ago, Unan said:

"One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". When the Treaty of Paris was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out."

It was briefly covered in this Jay Foreman video: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two legs start today

Hope not

How is Berwick/ Aberdeen a local derby?

Two legs start today

Hope not

Berwick is Northumberland, Cove is Aberdeen. Not really a local derby!!! 

I've followed Berwick from afar for best part of 40 years after discovering they were English. Real shame what has happened to them, seeing how East Stirling have struggled since they went down I don't see them coming back up anytime soon

17 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I've followed Berwick from afar for best part of 40 years after discovering they were English. Real shame what has happened to them, seeing how East Stirling have struggled since they went down I don't see them coming back up anytime soon

Read "Pointless" by Jeff Connor. Tragi-comedy about ESFC.

They're almost as bad as the clampetts across town.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PolskRed said:

But it’s the Border derby! A match between the English (hooray) and the Scots (boo). It’s their version of the Severnside derby where the heroic English take on the conquered Welsh. 

23 hours ago, PolskRed said:

A local derby for Cove if it had to be a side from a different country would more likely be Stavanger, Brondby or Malmo rather than Berwick.

5 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Read "Pointless" by Jeff Connor. Tragi-comedy about ESFC.

They're almost as bad as the clampetts across town.

Cheers, Michael - I'll search that one out. Love a random football book 👍

21 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

A local derby for Cove if it had to be a side from a different country would more likely be Stavanger, Brondby or Malmo rather than Berwick.

They are either side of the border 

Short distance along A1

3 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

They are either side of the border 

Short distance along A1

Yes you are prob right

Cove short distance from Berwick

And another Cove by Aberdeen

Edited by Bicester Red

45 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

Yes you are prob right

Cove short distance from Berwick

And another Cove by Aberdeen

It's good to see you agree with yourself...

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2019 at 21:50, Bristol Rob said:

Or was that all a myth?

No Germany but Russia!

It came from the Crimea war due to the declaration of war listed Berwick but the peace terms did not!!!

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:32, CrazyInWeston said:

It was briefly covered in this Jay Foreman video: 

Jay Foreman is one of the best youtubers going. Recommend the rest of the Map Men series for pedantic detail and sardonic wit.

14 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Reading through this site is both interesting and informative. I love this description of the facilities, especially the last sentence. I want to go there!

Shielfield Park has a classic oval shape, with a cinder track surrounding the playing area, which is used by the Berwick Bandits Speedway team during the summer. The Main Stand is on the west side of the pitch. It is all seating, mostly with quite large plastic tip up seats, but a section at the northern end are backless. There are a row of floodlights running across the front of the stand which could impede your view. On the opposite side there is terracing which doers’t extend all the way to the far end. The central part of this side has a good sized roof which should provide excellent cover in all but the worst driving rain. This area is known as the ‘Ducket Enclosure’.
There is no access at all to the northern end as most available space is taken up by the bend of the speedway track. Whilst at the southern end there is just a flat pathway to access the ‘Ducket’ side. Although there is nothing to prevent spectators standing in this area, it is a long way from the pitch, and of course a very long way to the far end goal. There is a pronounced slope from the south end down to the north end. This slope is also prevalent in the Main Stand as the walkway at the front of the seats goes down also. Some of the seats are not exactly parallel with the pitch.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Reading through this site is both interesting and informative. I love this description of the facilities, especially the last sentence. I want to go there!

Shielfield Park has a classic oval shape, with a cinder track surrounding the playing area, which is used by the Berwick Bandits Speedway team during the summer. The Main Stand is on the west side of the pitch. It is all seating, mostly with quite large plastic tip up seats, but a section at the northern end are backless. There are a row of floodlights running across the front of the stand which could impede your view. On the opposite side there is terracing which doers’t extend all the way to the far end. The central part of this side has a good sized roof which should provide excellent cover in all but the worst driving rain. This area is known as the ‘Ducket Enclosure’.
There is no access at all to the northern end as most available space is taken up by the bend of the speedway track. Whilst at the southern end there is just a flat pathway to access the ‘Ducket’ side. Although there is nothing to prevent spectators standing in this area, it is a long way from the pitch, and of course a very long way to the far end goal. There is a pronounced slope from the south end down to the north end. This slope is also prevalent in the Main Stand as the walkway at the front of the seats goes down also. Some of the seats are not exactly parallel with the pitch.

I liked the bit about what it’s like for away supporters, no segregation but take exception to being called “English *********!”

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

Are Berwick reminiscent of a certain other BRFC?

Image result for berwick rangers fc ground

Image result for berwick rangers fc ground

image.jpeg.7665cfe56ded38c7372d365bddb68893.jpeg

Not really, I don’t any tents or patio chairs there.....

Edited by BS15_RED