Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sad news. 

The first time I remember seeing him play was around 1968 against us for Blackpool at AG - a game they won (I think) 2-4. He tore us apart that day, playing on the lest wing even though he was predominantly right footed. Unusually for those days, that game was recorded for TV. I was amazed and delighted when we signed him the following season. 

He was fast and strong although I’d never describe him as “tricky” but he was a good signing for us. He’d made a name for himself playing for Arsenal so he had a good pedigree and had a swagger in the way he played. 

He formed a key part of one of my most memorable and favourite City teams 

Rest peacefully Alan. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sad news. 

The first time I remember seeing him play was around 1968 against us for Blackpool at AG - a game they won (I think) 2-4. He tore us apart that day, playing on the lest wing even though he was predominantly right footed. Unusually for those days, that game was recorded for TV. I was amazed and delighted when we signed him the following season. 

He was fast and strong although I’d never describe him as “tricky” but he was a good signing for us. He’d made a name for himself playing for Arsenal so he had a good pedigree and had a swagger in the way he played. 

With that defeat we went bottom of the second division. Jantzen Derrick scored our second in injury time after we were 1-4 down.  Green un headline that evening was "City are rocked and go bottom". RIP Alan. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sad news. 

I, too, saw that game and remember his speed and strength, but what struck me (as a young boy) was that Blackpool, the famous Tangerines with their equally famous players (The great Stanleys Mathews and Mortenson, Jimmy Armfield, Alan Ball), played in white shirts! 

• Like 1

If I hear the name Alan Skirton I always get a mental image of AG pre-Dolman stand and a game going on with those flats looming large on the far side of the pitch.

Just a bit before i started going he was

but RIP BCFC hero , Alan

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sad news. 

Nice summary of guy who was one of our stalwarts of the Dicks team he built before the young promotion winning team (Gow Ritchie Cheese etc ) came through. He signed for £15,000 as I recall! .....I, along with many of you, was at the televised Blackpool MOTD game which was , I think , the first time we had been on MOTD.....very unusual for a 2nd div game to be shown back then..

• Like 1

Sad news, Always liked him.  He tended to play much better on the right attacking the East End, in those days there was no terracing ,or anything on the opposite side due to the very lengthy demolition/erection of the Dolman.   He told me once that he used to hate playing on the right attacking the Park End as there was no atmosphere !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Just looked up his stats.  99 goals in 338 career  league appearances.   That's pretty damn impressive for a winger.  RIP Alan.

Yes, he had a powerful shot and could head a ball too. When I think of him what comes to mind is successive home wins over Norwich and Fulham when we won 4-0 and 6-0. I think Alan scored in both.

What also trips off the tongue is my favourite City attack of Skirton -Garland -Galley -Kellard -Sharpe.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, he had a powerful shot and could head a ball too. When I think of him what comes to mind is successive home wins over Norwich and Fulham when we won 4-0 and 6-0. I think Alan scored in both.

What also trips off the tongue is my favourite City attack of Skirton -Garland -Galley -Kellard -Sharpe.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

Remember those results and that strike force, as if it was yesterday, those were the days :city:

He was a strong, quite aggresive winger which was unusual in those days. Remember watching him when he came to City in the late 60's and then meeting him when I signed for Bath City youths in the mid 70's, If my memory serves me right he was the Commercial Manager there. RIP Alan.

2 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

those were the days :city:

They certainly were....we had a pretty good home record in those days. AG was an intimidating fortress all be it only 3 sided for a while during the Dolman construction!!