Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Never to the dark side

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

Recommended Posts

Aye, time to review is later. (One minor point LJ did mention about possibly spending a club record fee tonight, but also mentioned about promoting an U23. Every option open).

Tweet from evening post reporter . Sounds exciting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Not how I recall it - there were a few on here claiming he was a re- incarnation of Jimmy Greaves - most however, were somewhat more sceptical and dare I say, suspicious of the whole transaction.

And if you wish to bring up Jack Marriott v Eisa - which one could be plying their trade in the PL next season ?

The one that made it clear he wouldn't come here as he wanted to be at FL's Derby County, who signed him for a lower fee than we offered.

P.S. I meant to add that in losing Mariott, Posh were keen to sign Eisa - the same Posh with a track record of picking up and developing lower league strikers like Marriott, Assombalonga, Boyd etc.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Aye, time to review is later. (One minor point LJ did mention about possibly spending a club record fee tonight, but also mentioned about promoting an U23. Every option open).

Tweet from evening post reporter . Sounds exciting 

….think I heard we might be singing some bloke called Stewart this week, won't be cheap though. 

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Ah Lloyd, you young, handsome, rich, premier league footballer, where did it all go wrong?!!!!!😀

Whenever I read about footballers" punching above their weight" I always think back to the "not handsome in the conventional way" Peter Crouch's classic quote.

When asked what he would have been had he not become a wealthy, premier league footballer, Crouch answered, " probably still a virgin"

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Taz said:

Whilst that wouldn't have helped, you make it sound as if he was sacked because of that - Gray/Gayle turned us down in the Summer. Cotterill was sacked in January after a run of naff results, and on more than one occasion not naming enough subs (despite being able to pick players from the academy) to try and make his point of not having enough "depth or quality".

That, amongst other reasons behind the scenes, was why he was sacked.

SL revealed at Senior Reds in December that he was unhappy with SC by saying “I didn’t believe him” when SC had said that he’d got all he could from the squad.

We glanced at each other over  the table and one guy ran his index finger across his throat.......and early in the NY SC was gone.  

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SL revealed at Senior Reds in December that he was unhappy with SC by saying “I didn’t believe him” when SC had said that he’d got all he could from the squad.

We glanced at each other over  the table and one guy ran his index finger across his throat.......and early in the NY SC was gone.  

Steve " Godfather" Lansdown.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I had pretty much the same conversation with SC at David Lloyd in Long Ashton ... he really thought that with a bit more serious backing he’d have done better in the championship ...

I loved (and still do) Cotterill, but there's a big difference between not being backed and not caving into 40k per week demands on strikers we've just agreed a £9m fee for, which at the time was over four times our current transfer record.

You've got to remember at the time we were averaging 12k and couldn't have predicted with absolute certainty the massive rise in revenue from both ticket sales and money that Ashton Gate is producing. I think we should've been a bit more savvy.

In League One we were a big fish and had the most resources so had the pick of the bunch, a bit like clubs like Villa do in this league, but for us to waltz into the Championship expecting to do the same was a very naive in my opinion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Super said:

The most pointless signing ever.

Honest question, would we have paid £1.5m for him if Gary Johnson wasn't the manager at Cheltenham at the time?

Though he is up there with Engvall and Styvar !

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Honest question, would we have paid £1.5m for him if Gary Johnson wasn't the manager at Cheltenham at the time?

Though he is up there with Engvall and Styvar !

800k rising to 1.2m wasn't it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

Exactly why I said LW has no place and be realistic he doesn't if we want to push on. 

Would you have got rid of Bobby Reid when he was 21?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would you have got rid of Bobby Reid when he was 21?

I probably would have if he was 21 where the club is at now and I doubt i'd be alone with that view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I probably would have if he was 21 where the club is at now and I doubt i'd be alone with that view.

I said keep him. But either way my point is players improve from 21. Some become like completely different players from 21 to mid 20s. 

The other poster is saying a 21 year old has to be ready now. Many of our promising youth are 21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

  I may be getting confused, but I think a few weeks back someone posted that he was on a three year deal, if correct, he therefore still has 2 years left - I hope I am wrong!

Oh god yes maybe your right mate .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Aye, time to review is later. (One minor point LJ did mention about possibly spending a club record fee tonight, but also mentioned about promoting an U23. Every option open).

Tweet from evening post reporter . Sounds exciting 

Ref your first paragraph.

Is that "did mention tonight (on the programme)"

Or is it " spending a club record fee Tonight"

Which is it please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said keep him. But either way my point is players improve from 21. Some become like completely different players from 21 to mid 20s. 

The other poster is saying a 21 year old has to be ready now. Many of our promising youth are 21.

Difficult balance isn’t it. Yes I too would have ditched Bobby Reid before he had that wonderful season, a season which saw him change position and he put a lot of effort in away from the club ( personal trainer), would it have happened if it wasn’t for this?

 But how many do we keep too long and hope they will come good, probably more than our successes but of course selling one or two (now three!) academy players for millions gets all the headlines. How much money have we lost on players we took a serious punt on only for them to leave and we don’t break even. Not only the money paid in fees but that’s only the start, there is wages, kit travel expenses, hotel bills, it all adds up. 

Mark Ashton though has done a decent job getting some of the money back, and yes every club must face this too but when we lose we do seem to lose heavily on the wrong player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

DaSilva and his agent have a firm offer from us, ball in his court and he's mulling it over in a positive way. 

Johnson said Korey was a big miss for us last season, and with him out again for another 5 months, we could look to get in a similar player on loan or perm.

Said we were unlucky not to have scored more goals last season, hit the woodwork 19 times, more than any other club in the EFL.

Said our players don't find Weimann enough at times, and that his movement is quality. 

Need more 'class' and 'quality' to break teams down.

Couple of bids in for Eisa, club having a look at those options with the player (sounds like he's on the way out) 

Not sure yet on Vyner or Moore, club wants to have a look at them in Summer. 

 

Maybe we just need some shooting practice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to the interview yesterday and listening to it again now- truthfully I often read his comments or MA's comments and actually filter out a lot of football comments because in the industry, people can spin it etc.

He talks a very good game. An excellent game- says many of the right things. Many good things- yet I wonder about some of the gap between rhetoric and actions. These aren't exact quotes but they are close enough to convey the meaning.

"We need PL players", not the exact quote but basically that. We therefore rule out or overlook Championship players who maybe good at this level but not necessarily PL level do we? About improvement- if stepping stone players such as good Championship performers help us reach a certain point, if their experience perhaps also helps our younger players it seems a bit rigid. Would be stupid to look to rule out such players, aiming for the PL though we are.

"A reason for home form is sides come and play for draw". Some do- maybe even a small majority but by no means all. That's a myth- and not always seen in the most expected places. Two examples, Ipswich were more positive than they would have been expected by far and we were lucky to draw.  Wigan set a tone earey by winning 2 free kicks and getting it forward- not quite a lesser side coming for a draw. Bolton and QPR most definitely were, but even e.g. Rotherham were more positive than expected, albeit not as much as the first 2 and especially not 2nd half. Obviously top sides didn't- do we think the top 3 came for draws? I certainly don't.

Some games where we had more possession still saw positive counterattacking- aggressively positive counterattacking- think Preston first half, but also Middlesbrough first half and Birmingham in general." Certain teams of course did but I don't think it was as wide an occurrence as LJ claims personally from memory. I missed the Derby game and I know we were unlucky in defeat in a few games but still. The quote in q was in the context of response to the difference between home and away form. He has a point, but I think possibly an exaggerated one looking at home games individually and on their merit.

Two examples- but in general I think the gap between talking and doing can be evident at times.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RedM said:

Difficult balance isn’t it. Yes I too would have ditched Bobby Reid before he had that wonderful season, a season which saw him change position and he put a lot of effort in away from the club ( personal trainer), would it have happened if it wasn’t for this?

 But how many do we keep too long and hope they will come good, probably more than our successes but of course selling one or two (now three!) academy players for millions gets all the headlines. How much money have we lost on players we took a serious punt on only for them to leave and we don’t break even. Not only the money paid in fees but that’s only the start, there is wages, kit travel expenses, hotel bills, it all adds up. 

Mark Ashton though has done a decent job getting some of the money back, and yes every club must face this too but when we lose we do seem to lose heavily on the wrong player.

I think with the smaller players like Walsh and Morrell, they need a bit more time before making that decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I said keep him. But either way my point is players improve from 21. Some become like completely different players from 21 to mid 20s. 

The other poster is saying a 21 year old has to be ready now. Many of our promising youth are 21.

You said got rid but I take your point about writing players off when they hit 21. The thing is, we are told the club is "punching above its weight" and don't have the budget to compete with other clubs in the division, but we spend millions on youngsters, many of whom don't make it. I support the policy incidentally but we have to get better at evaluating talent and do some due dilligence whilst we are at it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Ref your first paragraph.

Is that "did mention tonight (on the programme)"

Or is it " spending a club record fee Tonight"

Which is it please?

The programme   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Honest question, would we have paid £1.5m for him if Gary Johnson wasn't the manager at Cheltenham at the time?

Though he is up there with Engvall and Styvar !

I believe so, he was a lower league gem with potential.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Honest question, would we have paid £1.5m for him if Gary Johnson wasn't the manager at Cheltenham at the time?

Though he is up there with Engvall and Styvar !

Another question which could be asked is 

«  Would we have got Eisa if GJ wasn’t the manager of CTFC at the time ? « 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Another question which could be asked is 

«  Would we have got Eisa if GJ wasn’t the manager of CTFC at the time ? « 

Why not ? Were we offering less than the other clubs supposedly bidding for him ? Surely GJ would only do what was right for his employer and not help his son out ??

Edited by Loon plage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Honest question, would we have paid £1.5m for him if Gary Johnson wasn't the manager at Cheltenham at the time?

Though he is up there with Engvall and Styvar !

I thought that when Leicester paid £1m for Vardy. Thought that was crazy.

It's also only £800k with £200k this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You said got rid but I take your point about writing players off when they hit 21. The thing is, we are told the club is "punching above its weight" and don't have the budget to compete with other clubs in the division, but we spend millions on youngsters, many of whom don't make it. I support the policy incidentally but we have to get better at evaluating talent and do some due dilligence whilst we are at it.

No I didn't say get rid of Bobby? Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You said got rid but I take your point about writing players off when they hit 21. The thing is, we are told the club is "punching above its weight" and don't have the budget to compete with other clubs in the division, but we spend millions on youngsters, many of whom don't make it. I support the policy incidentally but we have to get better at evaluating talent and do some due dilligence whilst we are at it.

Plus perhaps development of them- or lack thereof is a hit and miss area.

What sense did keeping Adelakun and Eisa in January make for example? Clearly neither were ready for this level and whether they will be, who knows but football careers are long- with someone else maybe. Can't see the recall of Semenyo as helping his development either, given his lack of gametime after he returned. Eisa though...meteoric rise though Non League, then admittedly a very good season with Cheltenham- but the nature of the rise and the ease of goalscoring at lower levels suggests too big a leap- but especially if no loan to a good League One side- Charlton were apparently keen, would have been a good transitional step or at least if he had done well but not well enough have retained value and profile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spudski said:

He was backed...but he shot himself in the foot by telling said players they'd be on certain wages and others in the squad that they'd get improved contracts. None were achievable under FFP and what we had in the budget. Then more underhand things came to light. There is a reason our Financial Director chose to leave, especially considering he'd been involved in writing the FFP rules. SC shot himself in the foot...he went ferrell. Went totally against what was asked of him in how we wanted to run the club...like now...and was backed, just within wage budgets, not empty promises.

Under those circumstances, anyone Will.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wasn't terribly enthused at the time I don't think.

Our recruitment is and has been hit and miss. We compounded this by no January loan to a suitable club 

If no suitable club makes a loan offer you can't magic one up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loon plage said:
  1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Would you have got rid of Bobby Reid when he was 21?

 

Sorry mate missed the joke, not that it matters.

Think I must have misunderstood what you meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If no suitable club makes a loan offer you can't magic one up.

Charlton were keen seemingly- from Bowyer himself.

Was also claimed a lower Championship club may have been- think that would have been too big a leap at that time, but Charlton? Absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Pretty indiscreet to be sharing that about an employee to the punters in my opinion.

He knew that all of us old boys are long standing City fans and felt comfortable in that environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Robbored said:

And that attitude cost him his job.

The problem we have is that our owner wants despotic control and will not hire a manager that would shake things up in the way that is necessary to achieve promotion to the Premiership. To his great credit SC (in addition to a glorious  Championship promotion season) had a good bash at loosening SL's  grip on his plaything

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 3
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

The problem we have is that our owner wants despotic control and will not hire a manager that would shake things up in the way that is necessary to achieve promotion to the Premiership. To his great credit SC (in addition to a glorious  Championship promotion season) had a good bash at loosening SL's  grip on his plaything

What on earth are you on about?  You really don’t get it do you.............:cool2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Charlton were keen seemingly- from Bowyer himself.

Was also claimed a lower Championship club may have been- think that would have been too big a leap at that time, but Charlton? Absolutely.

There's a big difference between a club being keen or interested and them actually making a suitable offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

  I may be getting confused, but I think a few weeks back someone posted that he was on a three year deal, if correct, he therefore still has 2 years left - I hope I am wrong!

It was me. He is. 2 years left. 

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I think once he got us promoted he realised he had to keep us there and didn’t have the players to do so, as he hadn’t developed them. I don’t think that was his skill or interest. So he had to buy success, immediate success and thought he had earned the right to do so. I doubt he was concerned about the fair play finances, he needed Gray or Gayle or similar and couldn’t understand why not. 

And yes, I don’t think any fan of the club didn’t think that one day LJ would be back here as manager. I was surprised it happened so soon if I am honest, I thought we had a ‘one more manager’ timescale before it happened, but who knows one of our rivals may have gone for him in the meantime, SL couldn’t take that risk.

I disagree with that. Several of the promoted players have long proven their ability at this level as well as the few he did bring in. Some have gone above!

Fielding

Fredericks - got a move to Prem

Bennett

Ayling

Flint

Baker

L.Moore

Bryan - got a move to Prem

Smith

Pack

Freeman

Kodjia

Robinson

Reid - got a move to Prem

Saville

I’ve not included Williams, Little, Wilbraham who’ve all done jobs at this level since promotion. 

The players were good enough but didn’t adjust well, formation being one issue. Eventually stubbornness got the better of him. Robinson probably the only one in that list Cotts didn’t use!

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I thought that when Leicester paid £1m for Vardy. Thought that was crazy.

It's also only £800k with £200k this summer.

Yes, confirmed by Jon Palmer - reporter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Lansdown should be very cautious with his money and don't get carried away. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Would Liverpool have reached the CL final with City's attitude in home games at the end of the season?

Yes, he is "learning" at the age of 40 but he pissed a golden chance due to negativity   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's easy to say now I guess but a bit of pragmatism and he may have reaped the rewards of the higher revenue from 2016/17 onwards- and especially the proceeds of the Kodjia sale!

Who knows where we would be then. It's funny though, because looking man for man and certainly age range, were Sheffield United of 2016/17 and the subsequent season under WIlder- who played a very similar style to us- so different ability wise to that first season under Cotts but in particular our promotion season? Maybe Wilder played with a bit more pragmatism but very similar styles in all honesty.

Exactly this. Cotterill was given no less backing than Wilder with a very similar squad playing an almost identical system. Difference is: one threw his toys out of the pram and the other knuckled down and got on with the job. That's why Chris Wilder is now a Premier League manager and Steve Cotterill is still out of a job, whining to fans about how hard done by he is.

He came very close to undoing all of the great work he did getting us up in the first place. Thankfully, we clung on by the skin of our teeth and have now got ourselves back on track, but we wasted 2 or 3 years in the process.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

What on earth are you on about?  You really don’t get it do you.............:cool2:

Quite obvious if you look at what happens at Bristol City. The sixth largest city in England could but doesn't deliver Premiership football. Ask yourself why.

By "it" , I take it you mean your opinion?   

Other people can have their opinions you know.

SL is our benefactor. The price we pay is that he also our greatest obstacle to the ultimate prize.

 

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Quite obvious if you look at what happens at Bristol City. The sixth largest city in England could but doesn't deliver Premiership football. Ask yourself why.

By "it" , I take it you mean your opinion?   

Other people can have their opinions you know.

Not my opinion but the facts of that SLs strategy of sustainability and stability are beginning to bear fruit - that’s what you don’t get.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not my opinion but the facts of that SLs strategy of sustainability and stability are beginning to bear fruit - that’s what you don’t get.

'Beginning to bear fruit" (you sound like Jim Callaghan - "the inevitability of gradualness")

Even if that were true (and I believe that last season showed that it isn't, as we turned our back on Promotion), are you thinking you can wait another hundred years for another Alan Dicks to magically appear and take us to where we should be?

Signs are that LJ is showing some spunk (calm down that's what they call it in the USA) let's see how long he sticks around if a Club owned and run by people with genuine ambition come calling.

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

'Beginning to bear fruit" (you sound like Jim Callaghan - "the inevitability of gradualness")

Even if that were true (and I believe that last season showed that it isn't, as we turned our back on Promotion), are you thinking you can wait another hundred years for another Alan Dicks to magically appear and take us to where we should be?

Signs are that LJ is showing some spunk (calm down that's what they call it in the USA) let's see how long he sticks around if a Club owned and run by people with genuine ambition come calling.

Well he’s just signed a new four year deal so he’ll be walking away from a small fortune.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well he’s just signed a new four year deal so he’ll be walking away from a small fortune.

 

...and with a 4 year contract in place we'd get a small fortune in compensation if he did go of his own choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Well he’s just signed a new four year deal so he’ll be walking away from a small fortune.

 

Are you sure @Major Isewater?

You're not muddling it up with the news earlier that Pat Lam has just signed a 4 year extension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...