Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

reddogkev

How many true club legends do we have?

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Buster and Beryl

2 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

Alan Dicks would probably be in there

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Tinnion, Murray and Carey in my time of watching. 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Marina Dolman's Rolls.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Colin Daniel 

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Anybody with over 400 appearances which means roughly over 10 years at the club could be a good place to start

1 Louis Carey1995–2004; 2005–2014, 646

2 John Atyeo1951–1966, 645

3 Trevor Tainton1967–1982.  581

4 Brian Tinnion1993–2005, 551

5 Tom Ritchie1972–1981; 1983–1985, 504

6 Gerry Sweeney1971–1981, 490

7 Rob Newman1981–1991, 483

8 Gerry Gow1969–1981, 445

9 Geoff Merrick1967–1982, 433

10 Scott Murray1997–2003; 2004–2009 , 427

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

derryn coller

ken sage

bob boyd

apologies for any I missed for getting us out of the shit......

All of the above plus Chris Garland, Fatty Wedlock, Cheese among a few others.

• Like 2

Of the current squad who has the potential to become a legend? I think Korey Smith has the greatest chance. If he can avoid further serious injury and stays with us until retirement then he could yet reach 400 appearances. He's currently on 172 at the age of 28 so would need to get another 228 - or 46 a season over 5 seasons...a tough ask but not impossible. He was part of the League 1 double winning team in 14/15 and of course ascended to immortality by sticking one through Romero's legs on 20 December 2017. Rarely does he have a truly bad game, conducts himself well off the pitch and fans seem to like him.

Needs to stay fit, consistent and of course at the club, but for me he's the one that could join the pantheon of greats in due course.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Just now, reddogkev said:

As usual, some really good comments, cheers all. 

There's definitely a lot of cult icons appearing on the thread - like Jacki for example, and yep I'd say Flint is a cult icon.  It seems that Super Scotty Murray is getting quite a few nods as a Legend, which sounds fair to me.

I think Scotty gets bonus points for continuing his involvement with the club and for being really good at washing and ironing football kits. Jokes aside he just has a great rapport with the fans and that only builds his status.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolute waste of space. A few tricks and the occasional 30 yard shot was all he was about.  He had no idea what ‘team’ meant.

Don’t mince your words will you? 😳

I quite liked him. And his tricks. Up Park Street 😂

1 minute ago, WarksRobin said:

John Galley

Stephen Lansdown

Matt Taylor

Lansdown? Over Coller, Sage and Boyd?

Men who amongst others saved us and got only a fraction of financial reward that Mr L is and will get?

******* hell....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Don’t mince your words will you? 😳

I quite liked him. And his tricks. Up Park Street 😂

I used to see him staggering out of the Adam& Eve in Chappell Hill  on a regular basis. He couldn’t walk in a straight line.

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

As usual, some really good comments, cheers all. 

There's definitely a lot of cult icons appearing on the thread - like Jacki for example, and yep I'd say Flint is a cult icon.  It seems that Super Scotty Murray is getting quite a few nods as a Legend, which sounds fair to me.

I also think many players are heroes, and especially to younger fans, but that is not the same as being a legend.

In my youth Paul Cheesley was a hero, but his lack of longevity denies him legend status. 

• Like 4

Trevor Tainton.  Always flew under the radar, but:

A product of our youth system 

Third highest appearances in club history 

Important part of 76 promotion team.

Regular starter in top division. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Trevor Tainton.  Always flew under the radar, but:

A product of our youth system 

Third highest appearances in club history 

Important part of 76 promotion team.

Regular starter in top division. 

and he put mickey droy on his arse......I was there

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Jacki?

Interesting.... most talented player ive seen, and a cult hero, but can he be a legend due to the limited anount of games played here?

I guess in my time...and they may not be legends, but more like my stand out hero's and players for the level they were playing:-

Norman Hunter
Glyn Riley
Alan Walsh
Super Bob
Jacki
Cole
Tins
JET
Tammy

For me club legends have to either have done something that is astounding like Atyeo or they have to be a player that a younger generation idolise and will grow up still believing they were one of the best players they have ever seen wear the shirt. This is then passed on to future generations (for example i didn’t see Gow play but consider him a legend- i take this from how highly people still rate him).

To me legends are made on the play ground where kids imitate and worship them. Imagine how many pretended to drop the shoulder, cut inside and smash the ball into Mildenhalls top corner from 25 yards? Would i call JET a legend? - debatable. But would a 13 year kid who was watching him that day call him one when they reach my age? - there is every chance... A screamer against the Gas, a 1 in 2 ratio of goals or asists and part of the double winning team.

My point being that every generation will have players they consider legends that previous generations might scoff at as they will never compare in their eyes to players they watched in their youth.

• Like 2

In fifty years time from the people mentioned above only Wedlock and Atyeo will be truly remembered as legends unless in the next 50 years we are able to add to those two.  I always live in hope!

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Buster Footman - how many other physios in the history of the game were regularly serenaded round the pitch by the fans

How many ‘physios’ had zero professional qualifications?

It highlights just how poorly run the cub used to be...........:disapointed2se:

The sad news is that Buster has advanced alzheimer’s..........he no longer recognises anyone.

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Carey is seldom the first name that springs to mind when threads such as this arise on OTIB. For some reason fans, including me, never seemed to warm to him as much as they have say, to Scotty.

Louis of course deserves recognition in everyone’s list. 

John Galley would always make my own top twenty as would Chris Garland.

He did leave us for coventry mind

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Biff Newman 

Glyn Riley

Yeah Legend to who? all our fans or personal. Love both your choices.

Me. Jimmy Mann, Chris Crowe.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

Surely it doesn’t matter if you’ve seen them play, by your own definition..?! 

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely it doesn’t matter if you’ve seen them play, by your own definition..?! 

It does to me - it’s the only way I can judge.

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

I guess it’s how the word ‘legend’ is interpreted.

Maybe a Hall of Fame would be better ?

Then a select few can set aloft as LEGENDS

Tinnion, Murray, Carey for me. 

Nobody else come close since I've been watching. 

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Of the current squad who has the potential to become a legend? I think Korey Smith has the greatest chance. If he can avoid further serious injury and stays with us until retirement then he could yet reach 400 appearances. He's currently on 172 at the age of 28 so would need to get another 228 - or 46 a season over 5 seasons...a tough ask but not impossible. He was part of the League 1 double winning team in 14/15 and of course ascended to immortality by sticking one through Romero's legs on 20 December 2017. Rarely does he have a truly bad game, conducts himself well off the pitch and fans seem to like him.

Needs to stay fit, consistent and of course at the club, but for me he's the one that could join the pantheon of greats in due course.

I actually think Pack is best placed to hit 400 appearances for us. On 234 now according to wiki. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

I guess in my time...and they may not be legends, but more like my stand out hero's and players for the level they were playing:-

Norman Hunter
Glyn Riley
Alan Walsh
Super Bob
Jacki
Cole
Tins
JET
Tammy

Can Tammy be a club legend when he was never a City player ? 

11 hours ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

Joe Royal was an icon,I met him once and found him a very humble man,didn't he score 4 against York on a Tuesday night on his debut?

Middlesbrough.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Ahem. :cool:

16 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Jacki?

The title is "Legends" not "Legovers". 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... and Scotty went to Reading

Yes they both went to better themselves legends in my eyes were Atyeo  loyal . Oh and the Aston eight especially Geoff merrick who could have been worth a fortune.

Edited by RobintheRed Red
  • Like 1

I would add John shaw, Rob Newman, Bobby Huchinson, Glynn Riley and Alan Walsh from my time as a kid. My first game at the gate was Ipswich v Southampton.

Is not one of the problems in judging who qualifies as a legend, the simple fact  that, from the "modern" era, Atyeo stands head and shoulders above everyone else? 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It does to me - it’s the only way I can judge.

So John Atyeo isn’t a club legend..?! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

To me legendary players are those that still get talked about with high praise many, many years after they leave the club. 

Different for everyone I guess, and this is my personal interpretation, so if I am lucky enough to have grandchildren I'll tell them about 

Aden Flint 

Aaron Wilbraham 

Albert Adomah 

Lewis Carey 

My father in law will tell them about the players before my time 

Edit. Korey Smith ... maybe JET if I'm.feeling particularity nostalgic. 

I really want to believe that isn't a typo and you actually do mean Lewis, rather than Louis!

Edited by LondonBristolian

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So John Atyeo isn’t a club legend..?! 

That’s not what I said............:cool2:

Atyeo is the only City player to play for England and is Citys all time leading goalscorer. Of course he qualifies as a club legend.

Unfortunately I don’t remember ever seeing  him play.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s not what I said............:cool2:

Atyeo is the only City player to play for England and is Citys all time leading goalscorer. Of course he qualifies as a club legend.

Unfortunately I don’t remember ever seeing  him play.

Billy Wedlock played for England too 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I actually think Pack is best placed to hit 400 appearances for us. On 234 now according to wiki. 

True, he's comfortably the most senior player right now. However in my opinion he won't be the one from this team/era that is talked about in 30 years time. I don't think that loads of appearances should be enough, on its own, to grant a player legendary status.

32 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

As a 'judge' cant you accept a majority verdict from the OTIB jury? 

As a judge it’s about weighting the evidence...........so far there are two/three that most agree on  - Atyeo, Gow and Murray.

I don’t disagree with any of those.

8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes they both went to better themselves legends in my eyes were Atyeo  loyal . Oh and the Ashton eight especially Geoff merrick who could have been worth a fortune.

I’ve come to this thread late and haven’t read it all, so apologies if I repeat anything that’s already been said. 

It would seem to me that Atyeo and Wedlock would be indisputable legends because of their length of service and England caps earned while City players (also for Atyeo his incredible goal tally). 

Taken from the club website the following players played over 400 games for the club so should probably earn legend status because of that:

646 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-2014)
645 - John Atyeo (1951-66) 
581 - Trevor Tainton (1967-82) 
551 - Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)
504 - Tom Ritchie (1972-81; 1983-85) 
490 - Gerry Sweeney (1971-82) 
483 - Rob Newman (1981-91)

445 - Gerry Gow (1969-81) 
433 - Geoff Merrick (1967-82) 
426 - Ivor Guy (1946-57) 
426 - Scott Murray (1997-2004; 2005-2009) 
415 - Mike Thresher (1954-65) 
408 - Jack Connor (1960-71)

Personally I’d add Terry Cooper because of his incredible devotion during such hard times for the club. Also Beryl Fudge, who so many of us have memories of. 

Harry Dolman is synonymous with the club so him too. I also think Steve Lansdown earns his place  - he has been a key part of Bristol City for a long time and has a lasting legacy with the re-built Ashton Gate. 

Finally the likes of Les Kew, Deryn Coller, Des Williams (who had a stand named after him) etc who were involved in City’s rise from the ashes I regard as club legends  

Other than that it’s more subjective. Growing up watching City in the 1980s the likes of Walshy, Riley,  Neville, and Bob Taylor are legends in my eyes. As for my Dad, he still raves about John Galley and Chris Crowe. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 17:02, Robbored said:

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

Who?

Do you mean Scott Murray?

• Sad 1

For me there’s a difference between being the one of the best players to play for a club and being a club legend. Obviously like Atyeo you can be both. In my lifetime one of the best players I’ve seen play for City is Nicky Maynard is he a legend definitely not. I’d say Korey Smith is a city legend but then definitely not one of the best player I’ve seen play for city.

I think context matters a lot. I’d say you can be a legend through being city through and through and making a lot of appearances like Carey. Being a cult hero like Flint or scoring a memorable and important goal e.g Tinnion or Korey Smith.

I like the thought you can become a club legend in a instance. If for example one of our players scores the winning goal at the playoff final to take us to the prem they would automatically become a club legend to me.