IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Trust the system. 

Kodjia, Kelly, Flint, Bryan, Reid, Webster, Tomlin = c. £80 MILLION

All whilst delivering year on year improvement of league position for 5 straight seasons. No mean feat. Harder than ever to keep that up this season but I’m confident in the ability of the club to plan wisely for replacing the outgoings. 

People have to realise that a club with a fan base as small as ours is not going to ‘get there’ any other way than this, assuming we want to be compliant with FFP. The whole system is reliant on selling at the peak of a player’s value. 

I think it’s also a very sensible strategy to have a reputation as a club that won’t stand in the way of progress.

The next Adam Webster, Bobby Reid, Lloyd Kelly will all see this club as somewhere to come and get noticed. And sooner or later it’ll all click one season and be our time. 

Shame I can only like that once.

The last 24 months of trading have been pretty exceptional. Buying players at what appears to be a fair price and cashing in when a top offers lands.

Might take a bit longer to reach the top flight, but if it secures the future of the club....

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

13.57 sky news is more significant. Brighton have offloaded a Centre Half, thus freeing up wages and a position at CH. I have a big feeling this will be settled very soon.

I think you are right. Good money though...

If or when he goes . I have full confidence in the club finding a replacement. I really rate Webster but the club will get what they want and so will Webster. That’s why JD signed for us IMO.He knows he will be playing and he knows we will sell him when the time is right. City won’t stand in the way of any player . Really is getting exciting times to be a city fan. Maybe not a small fish as we think in a big pond 

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Shame I can only like that once.

The last 24 months of trading have been pretty exceptional. Buying players at what appears to be a fair price and cashing in when a top offers lands.

Might take a bit longer to reach the top flight, but if it secures the future of the club....

Agree with this.

And if this is true.  Who is the person who has achieved this?

I only ask, as reading most comments on here it can't be LJ as he is clueless

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Can’t underestimate how poorly timed this is, all our set play work, movement etc etc would’ve been focused around him, and now we have 4 days tl bring in probably 3 players to plug the games. We need some big big signings and this is where MA/LJ earn their cash. 

Window closes 1700 a week from Thursday so 8 days and CB we have most depth even of not as talented as AW. 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

If or when he goes . I have full confidence in the club finding a replacement. I really rate Webster but the club will get what they want and so will Webster. That’s why JD signed for us IMO.He knows he will be playing and he knows we will sell him when the time is right. City won’t stand in the way of any player . Really is getting exciting times to be a city fan. Maybe not a small fish as we think in a big pond 

I take your point(s) But you cannot sell your best players annually  infinitm - very difficult to build a promotion side in 12  months 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

I take your point(s) But you cannot sell your best players annually  infinitm - very difficult to build a promotion side in 12  months 

I totally agree BBSB. But we are also signing some very good players. And I still believe we will sign a couple more . This time last year everyone was stressing about selling our best players. Me included. And then we signed an injury prone player who turned out to be fantastic for us. Unfortunately the money offered by these clubs is to great to turn down unfortunately. But we are getting what we want. It’s a tough one 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That's always the risk, they have been spending strongly in the youth market for a few years, so hopefully some of these graduate to first team regulars and the cycle continues, but yes. You are right, you cant keep selling the best players and continue to improve.

That said, if your employer blocked you from career enhancement and life changing money, how motivated would you be?

Just now, Lew-T said:

Can’t help but feel deflated by this. Just feels like the old Bristol City cycle again right before a new season with promise and expectation, but then dashed with key players leaving.

I want to agree but let's wait till who comes in. If he does go in an ideal world we'd get Clarke on loan as part of the deal, then use the money for a forward and DM. 

Our squad would be stronger than last season then. I'm not sure it currently is. 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Would people rather start Sunday with Webster in the side . Or 20 odd million in the bank with a few days of the transfer window left . Money for me 

25 would be lovely. I've always thought any player is replaceable. Especially defenders. If we were to get Hector and a really good holding midfielder then that might make us stronger in defence, and that's without our best defender. It's a team game.

Not because Hector is better than Webster, but because the 2 are better than Webster and having a bit of a soft protection of our defence.

But not only that, we will also then probably have more money from that sale to spend on a forward. So there are potentially many benefits to selling Webster, as long as we do get silly money for him.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Can’t help but feel deflated by this. Just feels like the old Bristol City cycle again right before a new season with promise and expectation, but then dashed with key players leaving.

We’ve had a better season than the one before it 5 seasons in a row. So although I understand the ‘feeling’ of what you’re saying, the actual end result has been the exact opposite. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

That's always the risk, they have been spending strongly in the youth market for a few years, so hopefully some of these graduate to first team regulars and the cycle continues, but yes. You are right, you cant keep selling the best players and continue to improve.

That said, if your employer blocked you from career enhancement and life changing money, how motivated would you be?

What it reinforces is that you have to grab your opportunities to go upwhen they come along as it’s the only way of keeping your best players 

8 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

If we are replacing Webster with TM that wouldn't bode well

Why not? 

We have Kalas, Wright, Baker who are proven at this level and Vyner and Moore who should be really pushing them.

Just because we may sell a central defender, does not mean we need another one. If the selling price proves to be circa £25 million, then spend £10 to £15 million on midfield and striker.

A whole new "Spine" for less than £30 million (Bentley and Kalas) and at £2 m, a drop in the ocean for Dasilva.

We can but hope!

Archived