IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

36 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You're right although it's difficult to visualise a cb who could hit the ground running and give us as solid a defence as we enjoyed last season.

I've rated Semi Ajayi from Rotherham, whenever I've seen him and I think that he's probably top-end Championship quality but whether he can become Ajayidini would remain to be seen.

Ajayi is the most similar to Webster I can think of. Powerful, quick, great on the ball, dominant.

I'm not so sure we can find someone who can do what Webster can do, but doesn't mean we can't find a quality ball playing centre half. 

Could even a loan be an option? Jake Salter Clarke is captaining the England under 21 side tonight. Had a loan at the gas I think a couple of years ago. Was loaned to Holland last year I think. 

Another loan option that I really fancy is Trevoh Chalobah. Played centre mid for Ipswich last season, but is very much a centre back. Is he ready to play in his natural position? He looks strong to me, quick, great on the ball, very tall. Gives us versatility too in that he is a very good midfielder and can play right back, just like Ajayi can too.

Maybe we could take advantage of this great relationship we have with Chelsea again. I guess Ampadu or Tamori might be a bit harder to get, but hope we'd try with those first!

My fear is it took until mid November or so for us to really start clicking. Even if our recruitment is stellar it will take time. Then what? We go on a run maybe make playoffs? Maybe fall short again? Same position as now where people want our players and we are willing to sell. The money does not guarantee anything but players are a bit safer than the money imo. 

At present I believe we have a bottom half side. Lose Webster and we are relegation candidates. Obviously that can change with recruitment but I just do not see the point in running it that close this season. 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Ajayi is the most similar to Webster I can think of. Powerful, quick, great on the ball, dominant.

I'm not so sure we can find someone who can do what Webster can do, but doesn't mean we can't find a quality ball playing centre half. 

Could even a loan be an option? Jake Salter Clarke is captaining the England under 21 side tonight. Had a loan at the gas I think a couple of years ago. Was loaned to Holland last year I think. 

Another loan option that I really fancy is Trevoh Chalobah. Played centre mid for Ipswich last season, but is very much a centre back. Is he ready to play in his natural position? He looks strong to me, quick, great on the ball, very tall. Gives us versatility too in that he is a very good midfielder and can play right back, just like Ajayi can too.

Maybe we could take advantage of this great relationship we have with Chelsea again. I guess Ampadu or Tamori might be a bit harder to get, but hope we'd try with those first!

Tomori they want £10m for, I'd love it if we signed him, the boy looked class for Derby & at the gate for England u21s. 

The harsh reality of this and similar situations, which has been mentioned previously, is that if this talk of Villa being interested is true that could turn the players head.

Should that happen, particularly if other clubs from the PL show an interest we are on a hiding to nothing.

I am firmly in the camp that says we cannot keep selling  if we are serious about promotion but,  that won't stop clubs and agents potentially trying to buy our better players. I don't believe for one second that the club did not expect interest in Webster so I would imagine they have a contingency plan in place should they need to utilise it.

There could also be an 'agreement' in place with the player that we would let him go next summer for an acceptable fee if we don't get promoted.

I suspect however, that we may have a fight on our hands to keep him.

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

My fear is it took until mid November or so for us to really start clicking. Even if our recruitment is stellar it will take time. Then what? We go on a run maybe make playoffs? Maybe fall short again? Same position as now where people want our players and we are willing to sell. The money does not guarantee anything but players are a bit safer than the money imo. 

At present I believe we have a bottom half side. Lose Webster and we are relegation candidates. Obviously that can change with recruitment but I just do not see the point in running it that close this season. 

The bit in bold is the funniest thing I've read on here for ages.

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Tomori they want £10m for, I'd love it if we signed him, the boy looked class for Derby & at the gate for England u21s. 

It really shows me that Chelsea only really want to make money from all that talent they have. For a 21 year old Tomori is outstanding. You'd think he has a serious chance of being a top top player in a few years. Would love him here, but can't imagine us spending 10 million on a centre back.

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The bit in bold is the funniest thing I've read on here for ages.

Care to elaborate? 

Maenpaa

Hunt Wright Webster Pring

Eliasson Pack Brownhill COD

Paterson

Diedhiou

O’Leary, Weimann, Baker, Vyner, Semenyo, Adelakun and Walsh

Maybe I missed someone but that would be our strongest matchday squad at present. Look top half to you? Then take out our player of the season

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why even bother posting that thought at the moment. We obviously will be strengthening the squad whether Webster is here or not.

If we lose Webster, and it’s a big if, I’m certain it will be for significantly more than the £12M quoted. I’m not aware of any release clause in his contract so, unless we’ve promised him something, you don’t sell him for less than Kelly. As a young player Lloyd might have the potential to make the grade in the Premiership but Webster is good to go now. Any fee has to be close to, possibly exceeding £20M. I’m not sure about the Villa interest but if true City should ensure they get all the money upfront this time. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Care to elaborate? 

Maenpaa

Hunt Wright Webster Pring

Eliasson Pack Brownhill COD

Paterson

Diedhiou

O’Leary, Weimann, Baker, Vyner, Semenyo, Adelakun and Walsh

Maybe I missed someone but that would be our strongest matchday squad at present. Look top half to you? Then take out our player of the season

We've lost 2 players from our first team, DaSilva and Kalas

That doesn't take you from the cusp of the playoffs down to being a bottom half side at best.

Then factor in that most of the players will have improved as they get more experienced, factor in those past their peak declining.

That squad would absolutely be weaker than last season, but let's avoid the hysteria please.

Even without Webster we would be a solid midtable side. You're also assuming absolutely no incomings either which is equally laughable. 

You're normally fairly sensible so I assumed you were having a laugh with such a nonsensical post.

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why even bother posting that thought at the moment. We obviously will be strengthening the squad whether Webster is here or not.

Guessing something messed up there as you've quoted me saying something I didn't say!

2 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Swansea's van der Hoorn

Swansea's new manager has said they've got to look to the loan market, perhaps their players could be sold off a bit cheaper than expected to help their finances? They get parachute payments but its not really how their owners operate.

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I posted with context. Why get weaker when we do not have to? Webster has plenty of time left on his deal so I don’t even see the point of entertaining offers. We would not be the first champ club to outright say no unless a stupid valuation is met. Money does not win football matches. Recruiting is 50/50. What we have is a proven top champ CB. That is already established and nothing else is. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I posted with context. Why get weaker when we do not have to? Webster has plenty of time left on his deal so I don’t even see the point of entertaining offers. We would not be the first champ club to outright say no unless a stupid valuation is met. Money does not win football matches. Recruiting is 50/50. What we have is a proven top champ CB. That is already established and nothing else is. 

We won't sell on the cheap. That's for sure... similar silly offer to Kelly proportions I'd say... that's why people are saying £20m. We don't have to sell.

Thinking back to the Flint sale, LJ said to Ashton only sell if he gets him Webster.

Well he's probably saying something similar now about Webster. Only sell him if he gets Ajayi for example.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We've lost 2 players from our first team, DaSilva and Kalas

That doesn't take you from the cusp of the playoffs down to being a bottom half side at best.

Then factor in that most of the players will have improved as they get more experienced, factor in those past their peak declining.

That squad would absolutely be weaker than last season, but let's avoid the hysteria please.

Even without Webster we would be a solid midtable side. You're also assuming absolutely no incomings either which is equally laughable. 

You're normally fairly sensible so I assumed you were having a laugh with such a nonsensical post.

Guessing something messed up there as you've quoted me saying something I didn't say!

It isn’t hysteria. Just does not seem sensible to get weaker if we do not have to and we do not have to. We don’t have a player ready to step into the role. We do not need the money for him. So why entertain it?

Even if we forget where we see the current squad ending up, we are in a better position now to add to and be succesful than adding if Webster leaves. We have holes to fill anyway and imo we can do without adding another to that list. 

Idk maybe it would feel better if we had already signed Kalas, Dasilva or a striker. As it stands it does not sit well with me the starting XI getting weaker and weaker. What I have is not hysteria or panic reflex but wanting to see the club progress further. I have no doubts we can add to the squad at present and be contenders for automatic promotion but not if we have to replace 3-4 starters who were probably our best performers. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Swansea's new manager has said they've got to look to the loan market, perhaps their players could be sold off a bit cheaper than expected to help their finances? They get parachute payments but its not really how their owners operate.

I know they just extended his contract by a year, due to a contract clause, but I think we could get him. At 26 he's a good age, and comfortable playing out from the back. 

Harlee Dean could be an option too, or Liam Moore who I've always rated. 

3 minutes ago, Judda said:

We won't sell on the cheap. That's for sure... similar silly offer to Kelly proportions I'd say... that's why people are saying £20m. We don't have to sell.

No I get that and if Webster left for 20m or near it I agree nothing we can do. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It isn’t hysteria. Just does not seem sensible to get weaker if we do not have to and we do not have to. We don’t have a player ready to step into the role. We do not need the money for him. So why entertain it?

Even if we forget where we see the current squad ending up, we are in a better position now to add to and be succesful than adding if Webster leaves. We have holes to fill anyway and imo we can do without adding another to that list. 

Idk maybe it would feel better if we had already signed Kalas, Dasilva or a striker. As it stands it does not sit well with me the starting XI getting weaker and weaker. What I have is not hysteria or panic reflex but wanting to see the club progress further. I have no doubts we can add to the squad at present and be contenders for automatic promotion but not if we have to replace 3-4 starters who were probably our best performers. 

It's the 18th of June ffs, we rarely have any signings announced by now.

The squad is weaker because loans have ended.

Yes, it is hysteria.

Also, who even said the club has entertained the idea of selling Webster? No ****ING one.

If the fee is ridiculous he will go, if not he will stay. It's that simple.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Ok you know me better than I do then ?

You're literally making criticisms based on things that haven't happened or that there is no evidence of, and making assumptions based on worst possible scenarios and assuming we make no signings.

Hardly a rational way to approach something is it?

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's the 18th of June ffs, we rarely have any signings announced by now.

The squad is weaker because loans have ended.

Yes, it is hysteria.

Chillax James.......everybody involved in the transfer healings are still on holiday........No surprise that there’s no signings yet but absolutely no doubt there will be new players already lined up and some may well have signed already but it’s not officially announced yet.

Things will move quickly when all concerned return to work.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Chillax James.......everybody involved in the transfer healings are still on holiday........No surprise that there’s no signings yet but absolutely no doubt there will be new players already lined up and some may well have signed already but it’s not officially announced yet.

Things will move quickly when all concerned return to work.

Accidentally living in the transfer forum right now aren't you Knobbored?

Yes, I know transfers are rarely done by now, that's literally what I was saying :facepalm:

Perhaps you should read what I actually said :dunno:

Or better yet, you must have some bowls game to bugger off to.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

You're literally making criticisms based on things that haven't happened or that there is no evidence of, and making assumptions based on worst possible scenarios and assuming we make no signings.

Hardly a rational way to approach something is it?

I have not criticised anything. I would criticise selling Webster but literally all I have said is I don’t see the point in weakening the side further at this point in time. I completely get it is early and there have only been a handful of deals done. 

If my point has come across as something else that is on me I guess. All I want to get across is I believe we should add first before we think about selling anyone else in our starting XI

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have not criticised anything. I would criticise selling Webster but literally all I have said is I don’t see the point in weakening the side further at this point in time. I completely get it is early and there have only been a handful of deals done. 

If my point has come across as something else that is on me I guess. All I want to get across is I believe we should add first before we think about selling anyone else in our starting XI

WE HAVEN'T SOLD ANYBODY FROM OUR STARTING XI!

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

WE HAVEN'T SOLD ANYBODY FROM OUR STARTING XI!

Pedantic I know but kelly started more games at LB than Dasilva. Also pedantic from you because you know damn well what I meant in that we have lost half our defence from last season. My point/opinion remains however

Archived