IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

Meh

Is he actually any good?

I see lots of posts about we need to replace Pack (which I get), but Josh is the other way - hope we sign <insert name> because him and Josh together would be awesome - but it is always as a partner for Josh instead of to replace him !

I watch many many games and for me his consistency level of good game versus average or poor game is right up there with Pato.

Maybe he will be better with more quality around him (which we all hope will be this window) but a part of me also thinks he may well be exposed as the weakest link when he has talent around him !

I know some will point at recent rumours of 25M offers to try and justify that he is actually a great player but personally on what I have seen - I would take a third of that and then I reckon we could get something better in Europe and still make a tidy profit

I’d describe Brownhill as a ‘solid’  Championship midfielder who does a steady enough job. He can get forward and has a goal in him but imv he’s nothing special. There are plenty of other Championship midfielders who are just as solid.

In fact when I saw a wild rumour of a  huge bid from Leicester on here I laughed.............:rofl2br:

I rate him very highly. Though he does have to improve in a few areas. He has all the potential to be prem imo. Johnson said he's 2 years away from being prem player, and that was about a year ago I think.

Still very young and I think improved a lot over last 12 months. He wasn't as good in the middle when played there in 17/18 imo.

Though he was already very good out wide. Which makes me wonder how good he is out there now. Maybe that is the plan with these midfield signings.

3 hours ago, Meh said:

Is he actually any good?

I see lots of posts about we need to replace Pack (which I get), but Josh is the other way - hope we sign <insert name> because him and Josh together would be awesome - but it is always as a partner for Josh instead of to replace him !

I watch many many games and for me his consistency level of good game versus average or poor game is right up there with Pato.

Maybe he will be better with more quality around him (which we all hope will be this window) but a part of me also thinks he may well be exposed as the weakest link when he has talent around him !

I know some will point at recent rumours of 25M offers to try and justify that he is actually a great player but personally on what I have seen - I would take a third of that and then I reckon we could get something better in Europe and still make a tidy profit

He’s 23 and arguably the best midfielder we have. So the answer to your question is yes, he is good and I’m happy we have him.

Just think we need competition and freshness in there so with Massengo and Nagy coming in, I’m hoping it will do just that.

IMO currently the best central midfielder at the club by a long way (dependent on the new kids we've just/plan to sign). After last season for me he is first on the team sheet at present.

He is consistent whether you call that average is down to your own opinion.

He if full of energy reminds me of a Milner/Henederson type player... lacks a bit of end product. I would like to see him score more goals arriving late similar to Lampards game but he is young an can/should improve..

I did laugh at the speculation linking him to Leicester... 

I like Brownhill but I feel - and this may be perception rather than reality - he is a little bit all over the place positionally. He is not quite an attacking midfielder and not quite a defensive one and it does feel at times he's not quite clear what his role is. I reckon, if we had an additional defensive midfielder whose role was to sit in front of defence to win the ball and someone like Pack (or a similar player) to sit deep and play passes, it would give Brownhill a bit more license to get all over the pitch, get into the box and support the attack and we would get more out of him. I don't think Pack and Brownhill are an ideal midfield two and I think it exposes the flaws in both of their games. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I like Brownhill but I feel - and this may be perception rather than reality - he is a little bit all over the place positionally. He is not quite an attacking midfielder and not quite a defensive one and it does feel at times he's not quite clear what his role is. I reckon, if we had an additional defensive midfielder whose role was to sit in front of defence to win the ball and someone like Pack (or a similar player) to sit deep and play passes, it would give Brownhill a bit more license to get all over the pitch, get into the box and support the attack and we would get more out of him. I don't think Pack and Brownhill are an ideal midfield two and I think it exposes the flaws in both of their games. 

I agree insomuch as I don't know what his best role is. He's an impressive all round footballer without excelling in any particuler way, and that makes him difficult to select.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’d describe Brownhill as a ‘solid’  Championship midfielder who does a steady enough job. He can get forward and has a goal in him but imv he’s nothing special. There are plenty of other Championship midfielders who are just as solid.

In fact when I saw a wild rumour of a  huge bid from Leicester on here I laughed.............:rofl2br:

And then you remembered that he’s 23 and  has over 200 career appearances including 45 championship appearances this season and the previous season. As you like to remind us, LJ knows his players better than anyone. Not so wild as you might think.

Archived