Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Whites

Jamie Paterson - Confirmed - Derby on Loan

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hugely experienced, know the league, hugely popular with the squad, swapped with two players who we don’t know the style of play of & don’t really know their personalities, one of which has played 3 professional games that LJ told us not to put too not much expectation on?

this also means Reid and Bryan back together, and Pack and Flint back together. We all saw how strong their bonds were. 

Also sent both to promotion rivals. 

They both may well be promotion rivals - to each other.

I don't get the expectation levels, we don't have any promotion rivals imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Pato gone to Derby on season long loan, strange one for me. One thing letting him go and cashing in, another doing a loan to a rival.

I wouldn't have said that getting Patterson was doing them any favours but I agree with the  general point you are making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I reckon LJ asked MA to take Pack and Pato away from him. He just couldn't stop himself picking them and knew he needed help.

It's the kind of intervention that's needed for any self-destructive addiction.

Two down, one to go :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Pack and Paterson gone. 

Walsh, Adelukan and Watkins still here. 

Great stuff all round

Would happily get rid of Watkins but Adelukan and Walsh are worth persevering with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would happily get rid of Watkins but Adelukan and Walsh are worth persevering with. 

Walsh maybe but Adelukan for me looks pretty poor every time he’s played 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Walsh maybe but Adelukan for me looks pretty poor every time he’s played 

I think the ankle surgery he had last year knocked him back quite significantly. Add in the natural need to adapt to the higher level. I think he's worth a bit more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Strange move. Maybe a matter of wages reduction after Afobe?

Exactly my thoughts, based on the fact that Afobe deal nearly collapsed due to cost of the BA loan/personal terms - hence why I think that this deal and the one for Pack have happened right at the end 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can see this the gamble we must take.

As good as Pats or Pack might have been playing for us they are not good enough to take us to the level we all want.

Will the new boys be good enough? I don't know, nobody dose. If Johnson is as good as he thinks the potential here now is incredible.

All I can say I like the way the club is going.  Would imagine things will be tough for the first few weeks but hopefully will be such a different HOME Team this season given time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Pato gone to Derby on season long loan, strange one for me. One thing letting him go and cashing in, another doing a loan to a rival.

Judging by his patchy form since the illness in 17/18 season LJ might be thinking the Rams might also see a dip in form 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a curious one. 

Was pretty good at least decent in terms of returns from sometime in December last season.

@DerbyFan if you ever bump into Cocu, tell him that out wide is his best position, as a '10' behind Marriott or Waghorn- or both- it just won't cut it- you're welcome. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Well I'm somewhat baffled by this.

I'm not.

He is a one in four player, one good game and three indifferent or poor.

I don't think he'll be missed on the pitch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watch the Paterson interview on the Derby website, he looks and sounds as sick as a dog. His smile is completely fake and his face is misery itself. He keeps forcing himself to say the right words but they stick in his throat and he cannot help drifting into how much he loved it at City, when his mood immediately lightens. I couldn't actually sit through the whole interview, because it was costing me the will to live. He made Theresa May look like Coco the Clown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I am pedantic about spelling of names of players! Disrespectful to get it wrong 

But you’ve called me a pedant for pointing out spelling mistakes! Welcome to my world - it’s rubbish! 🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Ever considered that no one wanted the players you mentioned ?

No one in the Championship or Premiership.  League 1 is a different matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Pack and Paterson gone. 

Walsh, Adelukan and Watkins still here. 

Great stuff all round

I think Walsh may stay there is a player there , the others and maybe Bakinson can still be loaned to league one and Scotland until September 2nd and probably will be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Bard said:

No one in the Championship or Premiership.  League 1 is a different matter...

The window is still open until September for Leagues 1&2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Commentary you thought you would never hear...

”Paterson...to Rooney...”

Still may not. Paterson might just be the stop-gap until Rooney arrives in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems a curious one. 

Was pretty good at least decent in terms of returns from sometime in December last season.

@DerbyFan if you ever bump into Cocu, tell him that out wide is his best position, as a '10' behind Marriott or Waghorn- or both- it just won't cut it- you're welcome. :thumbsup:

This morning, according to the Derby Telegraph, the plan was to bring in two players, apparently a right winger and an attacking midfielder, I had to laugh because our official site in the article about Paterson it says:

Quote

and can play in various attacking roles, either out wide or from a central position.

that sounds like we've decided one player can cover the lot instead! 😂

Your guess is as good as mine as to where he'll actually be playing! 😉

40 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Commentary you thought you would never hear...

”Paterson...to Rooney...”

We might still never hear that as you've got a January recall on him! 🙃

9 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

If you watch the Paterson interview on the Derby website, he looks and sounds as sick as a dog. His smile is completely fake and his face is misery itself. He keeps forcing himself to say the right words but they stick in his throat and he cannot help drifting into how much he loved it at City, when his mood immediately lightens. I couldn't actually sit through the whole interview, because it was costing me the will to live. He made Theresa May look like Coco the Clown. 

Not watched the interview myself, doesn't sound great though! 🙈

Seen a few of our fans saying something that made it sound like he's known he's been coming here for a while though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DerbyFan said:

🙃

 

Seen a few of our fans saying something that made it sound like he's known he's been coming here for a while though?

It's mentioned in the interview. 

I hope he does well for you. He can light up a football pitch. Dig around on Youtube for City 4 Derby 1 and he gets the third goal and a beautiful 50 yard assist for the fourth. Also there is a freakish banana shot in Sheff Utd 1 Bristol City 2 and another beautiful curler in City 2 Reading 0. 

We were told when he came he was brilliant on his day but inconsistent. From Aug - Dec 2017 he was brilliant for us, helping us to the League Cup semis and second in the league, but has done absolutely nothing since, despite playing every week and being give the luxurious free-roaming ten role. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

If you watch the Paterson interview on the Derby website, he looks and sounds as sick as a dog. His smile is completely fake and his face is misery itself. He keeps forcing himself to say the right words but they stick in his throat and he cannot help drifting into how much he loved it at City, when his mood immediately lightens. I couldn't actually sit through the whole interview, because it was costing me the will to live. He made Theresa May look like Coco the Clown. 

Doesn't sound to excited  about the move does he. 

Also says he's known about Derby's interest for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

It's mentioned in the interview. 

I hope he does well for you. He can light up a football pitch. Dig around on Youtube for City 4 Derby 1 and he gets the third goal and a beautiful 50 yard assist for the fourth. Also there is a freakish banana shot in Sheff Utd 1 Bristol City 2 and another beautiful curler in City 2 Reading 0. 

We were told when he came he was brilliant on his day but inconsistent. From Aug - Dec 2017 he was brilliant for us, helping us to the League Cup semis and second in the league, but has done absolutely nothing since, despite playing every week and being give the luxurious free-roaming ten role. 

That's a bit revisionist, that last bit.

Wasn't he shunted around somewhat between wide and '10'. His final 5-6 months of last season went pretty well, extrapolated at least IIRC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

It's mentioned in the interview. 

I hope he does well for you. He can light up a football pitch. Dig around on Youtube for City 4 Derby 1 and he gets the third goal and a beautiful 50 yard assist for the fourth. Also there is a freakish banana shot in Sheff Utd 1 Bristol City 2 and another beautiful curler in City 2 Reading 0. 

We were told when he came he was brilliant on his day but inconsistent. From Aug - Dec 2017 he was brilliant for us, helping us to the League Cup semis and second in the league, but has done absolutely nothing since, despite playing every week and being give the luxurious free-roaming ten role. 

It makes you wonder why everyone waited until deadline day for it to go through if that's the case? 😕

Thanks, I'll check them out. From what I remember about him, he's always been a little annoyance when he's played against us, I've always assumed that was because he raised his game against us being ex Forest! 😂

Inconsistent certainly seems to be the go to word when describing most winger/no10 types, seems much rarer to get consistent ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DerbyFan said:

It makes you wonder why everyone waited until deadline day for it to go through if that's the case? 😕

Thanks, I'll check them out. From what I remember about him, he's always been a little annoyance when he's played against us, I've always assumed that was because he raised his game against us being ex Forest! 😂

Inconsistent certainly seems to be the go to word when describing most winger/no10 types, seems much rarer to get consistent ones.

Pato is definitely not a winger mate  and if that's what you are expecting, you will be disappointed . He is a left sided midfielder, with a modicum of skill when he is in the mood, but most games you will forget hes even there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Pack and Paterson gone. 

Walsh, Adelukan and Watkins still here. 

Great stuff all round

League one and two window still open imagine at least two of those three will still leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Pato is definitely not a winger mate  and if that's what you are expecting, you will be disappointed . He is a left sided midfielder, with a modicum of skill when he is in the mood, but most games you will forget hes even there.

Think he's more of a 10 personally. Best in that position when in the right system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To afford Afobe he had to get players off the wage bill   It just so happens we had bids for pack and Patterson    It also opens up a pathway into the team for our new/ young players 

if bids came in for Watkins O’Dowda and Walsh then pato and pack wouldn’t  have gone anywhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

To afford Afobe he had to get players off the wage bill   It just so happens we had bids for pack and Patterson    It also opens up a pathway into the team for our new/ young players 

if bids came in for Watkins O’Dowda and Walsh then pato and pack wouldn’t  have gone anywhere 

Utter nonsense - we have no FFP issues because of the Webster sale.

Our squad was too big , no other reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Utter nonsense - we have no FFP issues because of the Webster sale.

Our squad was too big , no other reason.

Wages....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we signed Paterson, Forest fans all said he started great for them but then fell off and became inconsistent. I think it's fair to say his time with us has been very similar.

I expect him to do very well for Derby to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Exactly my thoughts, based on the fact that Afobe deal nearly collapsed due to cost of the BA loan/personal terms - hence why I think that this deal and the one for Pack have happened right at the end 

Can you explain/expand on this?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think he's more of a 10 personally. Best in that position when in the right system.

The best football we’ve played in the last couple of seasons was when Diedhiou was injured & we played Paterson & Reid up front. Think he’s another player that fans will only realise how much he offered now that he’s gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nice to see that he obviously loved it here and as others have said it was a delight when both pato and bobby were up top together but, over the course of last season never once have I thought he could be our match winner. I Wish him well though 

Edited by NorwichbasedWurzel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Utter nonsense - we have no FFP issues because of the Webster sale.

Our squad was too big , no other reason.

I don’t think so petal  We still have a balance sheet to work too. Also with the 2 new midfielders we would have had something like 12 for centre /attacking/ wide midfield.  Lj said he wanted 2 or 3 to go 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The best football we’ve played in the last couple of seasons was when Diedhiou was injured & we played Paterson & Reid up front. Think he’s another player that fans will only realise how much he offered now that he’s gone. 

It's only a loan though, so he will be back in 12 months having learned a bit and perhaps improved on his lack of physical strength.

Strange that Derby wanted him though.  I assume he can't play against us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It's only a loan though, so he will be back in 12 months having learned a bit and perhaps improved on his lack of physical strength.

Strange that Derby wanted him though.  I assume he can't play against us.

No, he can’t play against us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The best football we’ve played in the last couple of seasons was when Diedhiou was injured & we played Paterson & Reid up front. Think he’s another player that fans will only realise how much he offered now that he’s gone. 

I mean it's possible we've upgraded that '10' but yeah, that was the best football at this level not just in a couple of seasons but over a consistent period at this level in years!

Definitely doesn't deserve some of the flak he gets on here IMO and let's face it if Derby are keen he must have something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...