Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

WRERE

Marlon Pack - Confirmed signed for Cardiff (Merged)

I’m sad to see him go and surprised too. He has been a fixture in our team for so long. 

Best wishes for the future, Marlon. 

• Like 2

Will miss him (in particular his whole-hearted attitude) and, as an outlet for the back four, he was integral to our play. However there was always the feeling that he wanted too long on the ball and slowed things down. I would wish you well personally Marvin but I certainly don’t wish Cardiff any success with you. 

• Like 1

A manager who constantly moans about a lack of leaders, gets rid of one and brings two young lads in..........................

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Will miss him (in particular his whole-hearted attitude) and, as an outlet for the back four, he was integral to our play. However there was always the feeling that he wanted too long on the ball and slowed things down. I would wish you well personally Marvin but I certainly don’t wish Cardiff any success with you. 

Yes, all the best Marvin. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Not sure what that’s got to do with Weimann or Kalas being captain? Oh yeah, zero. 

Moore signed for Southend yet? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

A manager who constantly moans about a lack of leaders, gets rid of one and brings two young lads in..........................

i remember a young lad from Cheltenham.........................

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I suggest you watch him in the next game. Against Leeds he was constantly talking to those around him and encouraging them. 100% captain material.

I hope I don’t because it’ll mean we’ve got a better defender in place. I hope he comes good but at the moment he’s not good enough. 

I think this was the right move. Good luck 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

When I talk promotion challenge I mean top 6. I don't think we are anywhere near good enough for top 2

With so many changes to the team how on earth do any of us know if we are not good enough for top 2.

• Like 1

It really interesting to see these "leaders" leaving the dressing room this summer. Seems to me quite obvious that the team has lacked confident leadership for some time. At least people who believed promotion was a genuine possibility. To me, having thought about it, a proper clear out was essential. Those moved out seem to me to be part of an era willing to accept mediocrity/mid table and it's time to move on!

Maybe I'm wrong and it's all a downgrade when all is said and done but you can't say today was not "bold"!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Even if Marlon only stood in as a back up to our defensive midfielders this season, it should have been with us and not with bluddy Cardiff. This sale makes no sense at all. We would not get a comparable replacement for the 700k, so you keep this type of player in your own squad. Cardiff are laughing their arses off at us!! Bad move

I agree, that I don't get why he couldn't be a squad player. A real tremendous servant to us. I wish him nothing but the very best despite who he has gone too. I hate Cardiff and hope they struggle but one player that I hope shines is Pack. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

I agree, that I don't get why he couldn't be a squad player. A real tremendous servant to us. I wish him nothing but the very best despite who he has gone too. I hate Cardiff and hope they struggle but one player that I hope shines is Pack. 

Wages and FFP.

Well, I'm surprised and a little bit disappointed, was watching the BBC website and this didn't come up.  What was the fee?

Good player for us, had his detractors, but I always rated him.  Wish the fella well.

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Fee 6m ?

Taff mate reckons that's what is being touted over the bridge.

And we paid how much - a few hundred?  Nice bit of business.  Still sorry to see him go.

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

i remember a young lad from Cheltenham.........................

Agreed, but we didn’t have a manager at the time who always deflected criticism of himself, by blaming lack of leadership on the pitch.

Where is our solid experienced midfielder that every Championship team has and needs. I’m not knocking the new players, they obviously are good footballers, but in this league you need experience, nous and know how of the league in that central midfield area. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

The title of the group is ironic as Otara is one of the poorest areas of Auckland.

South Auckland, not for the faint hearted! 

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 1

Can really only judge this transfer on the fee - the £750k quoted would seem a lot more strange than the other extreme quoted £5-6m given the upheaval to the squad and way of playing (i.e. why gamble for peanuts) but I guess this must primarily be to address the wage bill and endorse a changing of the guard.

I've been critical of Pack after several games but only by his own high standards in so far as he's had poor games in the past year where his passing has been sloppy, particularly at home. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the role he plays and we have now created a vacuum with pressure on players to fill it fast.

But with that said, for me it's less about Pack's abilities and more about the players around him (i.e Brownhill) who will be forced to take more responsibility to lead and control the match now without their comfort blanket sitting in behind them. It certainly qualifies as bold and I am more excited than disappointed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

But with that said, for me it's less about Pack's abilities and more about the players around him (i.e Brownhill) who will be forced to take more responsibility to lead and control the match now without their comfort blanket sitting in behind them. It certainly qualifies as bold and I am more excited than disappointed.

Yes. It's the shake up that was needed. I didn't want Marlon to leave necessarily but I couldn't see how all the new signings would affect the system with him still here. 

• Like 1

I know people who will be crying in their cornflakes over this move...but take away the rose tinted glasses and sentimental reasons, we needed a shake up in his position.

Still a good player, but looked stale and not the player of a season ago, when the likes of Pep were purring about him.

Hope he finds his mojo again but not against us.

• Like 5

Love Marlon and going to miss him but if Sunday proved anything it showed that with Marlon in the side the football we play wasn't going to change much and that hasn't been good enough the last two seasons.

I love Pack and will miss him but I can sort of see the thinking - his limitation is his pace so his positioning needs to be perfect to avoid being exposed in defence and he struggles to pass and move quickly around the press in possession.

On top of that, he needs time to play the long passes, with any great accuracy - again, Leeds didn't allow him to do that.

Other teams might not be so quick to close him down which will increase his value on the pitch. Also, I get the feeling we will miss his impact off the pitch.

Still, what's done is done. I can't say I wish him the best beyond staying injury free though!

Lastly, generally, I don't have that much of an issue with City reporting transfer fees as undisclosed - in this case though, I think City should probably admit to it (though, of course, Cardiff may want it to remain undisclosed). Pack is our longest serving player and (notwithstanding Bailey Wright) was our captain and the transfer was out of the blue, right at the end of the window. Since Webster left, any fee is unlikely to have any impact on how much we will be quoted for players going forward anyway.

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Radio Bristol reporting the fee as close to £4 million which makes a lot more sense of LJ’s remarks about it being hard to refuse. 

Just seen it too. 

Hahahaha. 

Screenshot_20190809_094248_com.twitter.android.jpg

12 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

***** sake.

681AA224-CD77-4F0B-AD2E-C4A774F1EE02.jpeg

Blimey. Colin's tracksuit bottoms get higher and higher every time I see him. He won't need a t-shirt soon if he carries on at this rate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Young lads can’t be leaders ? 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

And we paid how much - a few hundred?  Nice bit of business.  Still sorry to see him go.

£75k. A bargain. 

One of the best pieces of business we’ve ever done. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Blimey. Colin's tracksuit bottoms get higher and higher every time I see him. He won't need a t-shirt soon if he carries on at this rate.

He'll be able to tuck his man boobs in them soon.

A man reaches a certain age where he must hang up the tracksuit and start wearing a suit if he is to maintain any dignity at all.

• Like 2

That head tapping thing is actually starting to bother me now.

It almost like an act of subjugation you might want a captured prisoner to perform to demonstrate they are broken.  It's starting to look like humiliation.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

With Mrs Doubtfire in the frame in this photo it makes this look like more some weird comedy promo than a transfer unveiling. Certainly doesn’t hurt as much as the photo of Bob did (the fee of £4m helps there as well mind!). 

Edited by lenred

6 good years from him. Certainly leaves with his head held high. I'm sure Cheltenham are happy this morning.

1 minute ago, RedSkin said:

That head tapping thing is actually starting to bother me now.

It almost like an act of subjugation you might want a captured prisoner to perform to demonstrate they are broken.  It's starting to look like humiliation.

It’s just weird.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gazred said:

6 good years from him. Certainly leaves with his head held high. I'm sure Cheltenham are happy this morning.

Let's hope so, although how many young players have they ever sold for money and so needed to think about inserting sell-on clauses...??

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Let's hope so, although how many young players have they ever sold for money and so needed to think about inserting sell-on clauses...??

Indeed. Sure I read somewhere that he's now effectively their record sale.

20 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s just weird.

Let's face they are ******* weird and I one hundred percent mean it when I say they can **** having been in the Prem. I would never want our club to be ran like theirs. 

£4m with £750k up front and a pay rise for Marlon. MA has had Tan Sri Vincent Tan over a barrel yet again!

Edited by Westcountry Robins

4 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

£4m with £750k up front and a pay rise for Marlon. MA has had Tan Sri Vincent Tan over a barrel yet again!

Yes Gregor trying to cover his (OTIB’s) mistake on the fee by saying the £750k is the upfront money. Decent fee anyway and Cheltenham will be happy.

• Like 1

Surprising sale at this stage , maybe January when the new players have had time to work with the squad and understand the approach, whatever that might be. As Pack was integral to the way we played last season, as was Webster, I am a little unsure what the plan is going to be without those two pivotal figures. 

Wishing Marlon the very best and thank you for a great stint at the club. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

That’s £20m ish for Tomlin, Reid and Pack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always liked Marlon and players like him. He's a bit like a fuel pump on a car. It just sits there and gets on with it's job. No one sees it unless they're looking really closely and it's not a part of the car people talk about or admire but, you can be sure if it's not running right then the car doesn't run either. 

And that was always the problem with Marlon, he was the type of player that got on with the job and when playing well was barely noticed. When he wasn't performing well or having an off game it became quite apparent. 

Time will tell if this is the right move for both club and player but I thank him for all the hard work in his years at the club and wish him all the best for the future (except when he's on the field against us of course) 

• Like 2