IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spooky

A bit downbeat about Afobe being the result of our striker pursuit , or more about how we went about our business,  I did a bit of watching and reading recap about Afobe last night

Was going to post and highlight something this morning that I’d picked up about him last night

When I watched the below video , and accepting it was when he was ‘hot’ 4/5 years ago ,  

but my very first thought was

‘Ohhh he’s left footed , I thought he was right footed’ ............but as the video rolls on he finishes with both feet - really , really impressive and still pretty rare IMHO at our level)

When I saw some videos of his more recent goals I agree with you he does look still capable of a good / explosive finish but does look one sided and even crosses legs at one point to finish(well) with his right when a left (if capable) would have been much simpler

Its actually something I really hope our coaching team pick up on , have a chat with Afobe about and see if there might be an underlying reason (or just coincidence)

Loss of confidence in his left ?

Not maintained his work on his left ? Etc etc

Interesting

One things for sure , if someone can get him into his mode of four or five years ago and finishing off both feet as below he can finish , and finish explosively 

* YouTube won’t let me embed the video but here is one that covers the majority of the same I saw

The video that I watched was ‘Afobe welcome to Fernabache’ if you search ‘Afobe’ in YouTube

Thanks Bob, I suspect, when under pressure, it's a fear of missing - hence "comfort" zone of favoured foot.  The message must be, do not fear. Back yourself whatever side/situation you are in. Chances may be few and far between. Just take them, whatever way you can!

11 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

A few years ago Clarke-Harris scored a double against us. Doesn't mean he's a good player or I'd have him anywhere near our squad. I care about how good players are now, not how good they were nearly 5 years ago, if that's what we're doing why not get Berahino? Not good enough to be frank. 8 goals in 45 appearances in the Championship is awful, mid-table Championship at best. 

To be honest, if this is our main ST and we don't loan in anyone else I'll be fumin'. But given the loan market is still open, and you could introduce the technicality of loan with obligation to buy in January (like Bolton did with Doidge I believe after the deadline), even though they didn't end up buying him. Would like if we went in for someone like Morelos or Edouard. Someone who has potential for the Premier League and then bring in Michael Hector on loan

He scored 6 in 26 for a team that only scored 45 goals between them in the whole season. 

Just now, The Original OTIB said:

Thanks Bob, I suspect, when under pressure, it's a fear of missing - hence "comfort" zone of favoured foot.  The message must be, do not fear. Back yourself whatever side/situation you are in. Chances may be few and far between. Just take them, whatever way you can!

Thanks for your initial post which was a fair one - it prompted me about what I’d noticed by randomly watching his older videos first  !

Think anyone would have to concede some of his finishing was impressive and off both feet .......very impressive 

The main concern , is his hot period was mainly 4 years or so ago

But there’s the ability there for sure

9 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Is there an interview anywhere with him ? 

There was one up on twitter just now but it seems to have been taken down. Usual sort of stuff, ready to go, wants to put the Stoke season behind him (although he did point out that he finished as Stoke's top scorer despite it being a "bad" season).

Anyway. He made it to the roof.

Oh and he's been given Pack's vacated No.21.

5 hours ago, Coppello said:

Here's all of his Stoke goals shown in a video. Pace and power is something we've been missing. 

What appears to come across to me is how popular he seems to be with the rest of his team mates who cant wait to personally congratulate him, have a feeling he is going to be a fans and players favourite. Hope we have agreed a fee in advance because if he is as good for us as I think he will be they will wish they hadn't.

2 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

I’m excited by his signing. Rather have him than Eddie to be perfectly honest. 

Agreed. Actually proven at this level. 

Come the end of the season I bet there won’t be much between them regarding goals scored. Think Afobe will score more .

Haven’t read through hardly any comments, but from what I’ve seen of him ( admittedly when he was a wanted man in form ), he reminds me of Defoe in some ways, hits the ball very early, where some would have an extra touch. Looks to be fairly two footed in his shooting & looks to have pace & good movement. Exactly what we need imo. Actually excited by him & hopefully he can find a home at the Gate. COYR 

Some teams are just bad for certain players. Think of the players that have left City to go on and achieve a lot more. Stoke City looks like a bad fit, simple as that. Hopefully things click into place when he plays for us. I've gone from feeling deflated to really excited in just a day. Roll on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't understand why you don't just put him on ignore if he bothers you so much. I haven't posted on here for a while and I come back to see you still trying to bait him - why not just do everyone a favour and ignore him? It's so tiresome to see you trying to wind people up all the time.

I don’t try to bait him, or anybody else for that matter. BobBob has been on my case for years. He has often claimed I’m using multiple accounts but is never willing or able to put a name to his (entirely false) accusations. I’m just looking for answers so I can prove my innocence to fellow Reds.

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

I don’t try to bait him, or anybody else for that matter. BobBob has been on my case for years. He has often claimed I’m using multiple accounts but is never willing or able to put a name to his (entirely false) accusations. I’m just looking for answers so I can prove my innocence to fellow Reds.

Are you on trial?

1 hour ago, pillred said:

What appears to come across to me is how popular he seems to be with the rest of his team mates who cant wait to personally congratulate him, have a feeling he is going to be a fans and players favourite. Hope we have agreed a fee in advance because if he is as good for us as I think he will be they will wish they hadn't.

Thanks for the video. Nice to see a player picking the ball up and driving into the box before tucking away a tidy finish. Not something we really have at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Give him some love and who knows how many he could score. Semenyo Diedhiou Afobe and Weimann are a solid four imo. 

I was thinking the same thing. If he feels loved from the off then I honestly think he could really find his form again. 

This is a man we all really need to get behind, who knows missing out on other targets could be a blessing and BA could fire us into promotion candidates. 

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Didn't realise he was only 26. Got a good feeling about this one but with so many new players who knows how it'll work out.

Me neither, seems to have been around for years. A few years ago he was great for Wolves as mentioned, sounds like he’s lost his way a little since then. He has by all accounts recognised this and work hard on fitness over the summer. Sounds like he wants a new fresh start and will be busting a gut and seizing his chance.

I am gutted Pack has gone, but fully understand our midfield was slow and not functioning. The signing of Afobe has lifted me somewhat...come on he has got to be more polished than Diedhiou!

Archived