IGNORED

Benik Afobe - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Selred

Used to like him but he's lost the plot last season or two, hoping he could be hungry to get his career on track, agree with comment that he could be the type of striker we need (as I still see LJ persisting with one up front) obviously bit of a shambles with the Arsenal lad but this could be worse 

1 hour ago, ProjectMayhem said:

VERY happy with that!! quite prolific at wolves, the pacey poacher we've been looking for?

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

Woeful signing.

Piss poor.

Brilliant. Posted seconds apart. This is why we love OTIB. Is there a godamn better website on the internet?!

13 minutes ago, grifty said:

I can imagine Afobe making much better use of Elliasons whipped crossed?

11 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

I’m looking forward to Afobe playing. Having Eliasson whipping in the crosses makes it very exciting.

He'll probably be subbed just before Eliasson is brought on though. 

We come a long way when some are disappointed with this signing tbf.

Happy with this - has shown he can score goals at this level; not an ace time at Stoke not alone with that against him.

Makes our forward options look that bit more meaty, and can see him and Fam being a handful for defenders if we can get them a decent supply of chances.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Chris Iwelumo

just thinking that mate. What a nut on 'im! and as someone has already said "What a bald signing"

Big advantage that we  already have a very good idea what we are getting as opposed to a gamble on a young flash kiddy from Arsenal who could have done a Danny Rose on us and not be arsed to bother for City

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Unwise to look at just the stats without context. He was playing in the Prem in a struggling Bournemouth side for a while and struggled at Stoke recently.

Earlier in his career he was a 1 in 2 striker at MK Dons and Bournemouth.

At 26 years old, still plenty of time to recover his old form.

Stylistically he's a very good fit for us I think. I feel you may be pleasantly surprised...

Hopefully he will get better coaching here as well?

21 minutes ago, Coppello said:

AFOBE JOINS CITY ON SEASON-LONG LOAN

City have added to their forward firepower with the loan signing of Benik Afobe from Stoke City.

Afobe, pictured playing at Ashton Gate in 2018/19, arrives in BS3 on a season-long loan and the Robins do have the option to purchase the Dominican Republic of Congo international.

"Dominican Republic of Congo international". Where is this African/Carribean hybrid country? 

That’s embarrassing.

Everyone know’s he’s from the Czech Republic of Ireland.

I think it's a decent signing. Struggled in the Prem with Bournemouth, and Stoke have hardly been flying high themselves recently.

Need to remember what he did at Wolves before, not actually that long ago. It seems that we've completely changed the way we're going to be playing with Paterson gone and Pack (confirmed or not?) as well. Think we'll be going back to a more quick passing, high pressing game, and Afobe and Fam in that sort of team could be very dangerous. I think a lot of defences will be getting a bit of a battering in the coming weeks...

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Option to purchase but I imagine he's on huge wages? Wouldn't surprise me if Stoke were paying him PL wages.

I don't know much about this lad's playstyle tbh, does be play like a target man similar to Famara? 

Fam is not a natural target man and Lee isn't playing him like one, yet the boys insist on treating him like one. That's why when he came off the dynamic changed so drastically. If we have both him and Afobe up front then the midfield has a choice and defences will be far less confident in marking them. This may actually be a good fit for Fam.

I’m pleased with this - if we can get him to replicate his form at Wolves (22 goals in 46 games), we will have some player!

Clearly one which City are keen to sign, based on the pre-approve deal to make it permanent next summer - let’s be fair, he won’t be coming cheap either, based on the fact that Stoke paid £12m for him at the start of this year!

Welcome Benik!

Archived