Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Thoughts on him so far after two games.  I ask as a friend of mine (a keen  committed  life long Brentford fan) told me before it became public that we were after him and he implored us to buy him !

He claimed that he cost the Bees 15 points last season.  As always I take stuff like that with a pinch of salt but listening to radio Brizzle today seems there were two moments in second half when he made two howlers in succession that almost dropped us in it and Gary Owers was wondering what he was doing ? I also note he made a few very decent stops.   My take on it is that we have a really decent keeper, but prone to the odd 'howler'  From those there today what are your thoughts please ?  

Couple of moments where he made the wrong decision, think we have to accept that he is being asked to play a specific way and will probably see a few more such instances this season. Hopefully doesn't cost us too much and his obvious strength in terms of distribution outweigh any negatives.

• Like 1

He’s a keeper who plays out from the back so will make the odd mistake. Made two excellent saves and caught everything . He must be working on his commanding of the box because what I saw of him he punched everything at Brentford. Still very young for a keeper

• Like 3

I like him.  Nice and positive, good reflexes, pretty good kicking overall too.

You guys are perfectionists.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Think he was a bit to casual on the ball a couple of times but not to concerned yet. Also made two very good saves. 

Yes, save early on, very good, but one from Jutkiewicz was top drawer....that was travelling and he got a very strong hand to it.

Distribution....apart from one awful pass out for a corner....not sure what else you can expect?  Can’t see anything that would warrant criticism today.

BFEA1CAE-193E-48FF-8CD7-F1F897DAD6E4.thumb.jpeg.387bbb17979d06b83102798d56822382.jpeg

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Made some horrendous decisions in the two games so far that haven’t cost us but has pulled off some smart saves as well,good number 2 to have 

What horrendous decision did he make today?  

• Like 8

I'm impressed. A couple of heart stopping moments but I think we have to remember that he's still establishing an understanding  with the CBs and is clearly being asked to play the ball out. He can throw the ball miles and his distribution is pretty good. Made at least one cracking save. I'd expect him to have the jersey for a while yet.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, save early on, very good, but one from Jutkiewicz was top drawer....that was travelling and he got a very strong hand to it.

Distribution....apart from one awful pass out for a corner....not sure what else you can expect?  Can’t see anything that would warrant criticism today.

BFEA1CAE-193E-48FF-8CD7-F1F897DAD6E4.thumb.jpeg.387bbb17979d06b83102798d56822382.jpeg

Tried to get us on a break away and chucked it straight to their player while we were at 6s and 7s at the back

Edited by joe jordans teeth

Looked solid to me. Decent performance including two fine saves.

• Like 1

That tip that nearly went in was so weird. He's done that before with Brentford. Simple tip over that he tips and drops into the net. Strange. I don't trust him like i do Maenpaa who was outstanding last season.

• Like 1

Four million. God he better stop the under 7 crap. 

Some smart saves but has liability written all over him at the moment 

• Aubergine 2

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That tip that nearly went in was so weird. He's done that before with Brentford. Simple tip over that he tips and drops into the net. Strange. I don't trust him like i do Maenpaa who was outstanding last season.

That was no simple tip over, he had to react quick and stretch. Great save, that looked a goal the minute he shot tbh

Edited by AppyDAZE

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was it the choice of shirt colour? The boots? Or wrong hair product?

Either way, some time training with the u18s should get the message across we expect better at this club.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Thoughts on him so far after two games.  I ask as a friend of mine (a keen  committed  life long Brentford fan) told me before it became public that we were after him and he implored us to buy him !

He claimed that he cost the Bees 15 points last season.  As always I take stuff like that with a pinch of salt but listening to radio Brizzle today seems there were two moments in second half when he made two howlers in succession that almost dropped us in it and Gary Owers was wondering what he was doing ? I also note he made a few very decent stops.   My take on it is that we have a really decent keeper, but prone to the odd 'howler'  From those there today what are your thoughts please ?  

I felt Max proved himself well capable last season to be our No2,,was very steady, even outstanding on occasion(Villa away in particular)... Bentley a pointless signing from the outset & money wasted.

• Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

That was no simple tip over, he had to react quick and stretch. Great save, that looked a goal the minute he shot tbh

Will have to watch back but it looked lile he tried to make it look good. Look at the compliation of errors last season and numerous times he did the same and it bounced in.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I get the impression you've made your mind up about him already Jon - and that's it now; they can't be changed. Similar to your views on Weimann!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will have to watch back but it looked lile he tried to make it look good. Look at the compliation of errors last season and numerous times he did the same and it bounced in.

I've seen it couple of times, it looks a great save to me. I hope people give him a fair chance because it isn't his fault NM is popular, I love NM as much as the next City fan but Bentley is in for now and to me looks fine.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get the impression you've made your mind up about him already Jon - and that's it now; they can't be changed. Similar to your views on Weimann!

Not really. Just thought he made a meal of that save. Weimann not that great most of last season. But when he was at the start i was saying he is outstanding. So didn't have a problem when he played well. Just didn't play well enough for me. Bentley awful last season according to every Brentford fan comment or anyone that knows a Brentford fan. So of course I'm concerned he isn't good enough.

One kick that went out for a corner (don’t know how, talk??) baring that he played well

Made some decent saves, the ones he is expected to save he makes look awkward. 

Early days and I'm certainly not writing him off. Just feel we are in better hands with Nikki between the sticks. That and it's better for my heart. 

24 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Pick the best keeper when both fit,transfer fee should have nothing to do with it 

Well ? 

Only joking. My point was he’s a young modern keeper that plays from the back and made 2 very good saves. Hasn’t got the experience of Nikki obviously. Keeper positions in very good hands imo. No pun intended. 

I'm not impressed so far.  I've said in other threads that he really doesn't command his box. He reminds me of Phillips with that. 

Anyway, 2 games in so it is what it is.

24 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Quality keeper....end of! 

Importantly we have two GKs that LJ now trusts.  That’s not being critical of Max, because he covered more than adequately, but he wasn’t up to Mäenpää’s standard (Frankie also upped his game when coming back in too).

Max will come back stronger from loan, and suspect Niki will leave next summer and then we have Bentley and O’Leary competing.  That is the bigger picture and the succession planning LJ has set out.

Gilmartin in not only to allow Max out on loan, but JoJo too....who looks like he’s improved hugely.

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I'm not impressed so far.  I've said in other threads that he really doesn't command his box. He reminds me of Phillips with that. 

Anyway, 2 games in so it is what it is.

What about the “take” 10 yards out from Roberts long throw today?  What other opportunities did he have to claim / command his box?

I personally thought he was good today. Made some decent saves and there was nothing he could do about their goal.

One or two misplaced passes but that was all. 

Is he a better keeper than NM? I honestly dont know, but once he beds in I think he could be excellent. 

The one thing he doesn't need is fans getting on his back already. Considering what happened to him at Brentford he seems to be a confidence player and the boo-boys giving him stick certainly wont help (does it ever though?)

Edited by RED4LIFE
Smelling pisstake
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I personally thought he was good today. Made some decent saves and there was nothing he could do about their goal.

Is he a better keeper than NM? I honestly dont know, but once he beds in I think he could be excellent. 

The one thing he doesn't need is fans getting on his back already. Considering what happened to him at Brentford he seems to be a confidence player and the boo-boys giving him certainly wont help (does it ever though?)

For what LJ supposedly wants to do with the team, he absolutely is a better keeper.

• Like 1

He's pretty poor for a team wanting play offs. There is a reason Brentford sacked him off

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Thought he was ******* great again. Kicking class. Throwing great too. His save in the second half was superb, Maenpaa doesn’t save that. 

Seems like a real athlete and also a leader. Screams and shouts to organise all game. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not really. Just thought he made a meal of that save. Weimann not that great most of last season. But when he was at the start i was saying he is outstanding. So didn't have a problem when he played well. Just didn't play well enough for me. Bentley awful last season according to every Brentford fan comment or anyone that knows a Brentford fan. So of course I'm concerned he isn't good enough.

Bentley had a lot of personal issues last season, similar to Afobe in a way. I believe we were interested in him before Brentford got him from Southend.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

19 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

The one thing he doesn't need is fans getting on his back already. Considering what happened to him at Brentford he seems to be a confidence player and the boo-boys giving him stick certainly wont help (does it ever though?)

Spot on I would never boo a player but can appreciate when people do when they have paid their hard earned money 

13 minutes ago, Lucan said:

He's pretty poor for a team wanting play offs. There is a reason Brentford sacked him off

So what makes him “poor” in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So what makes him “poor” in your opinion?

Not being very good? Being weaker than other keepers?

• Aubergine 2

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, answer the question. Why is he poor? Based on what you have seen.

I don’t know what you expect to hear.  He isn’t abysmal, I just don’t think he is very strong in any area.  

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What about the “take” 10 yards out from Roberts long throw today?  What other opportunities did he have to claim / command his box?

Well, he has to do it more than once to convince me. Over the past few games including preseason he could have claimed a few crosses where he remained rooted to the spot. 

It's just amazing that it's 'same old same' old from the same old posters who just have a problem with all parts of the club.

Our new GK is doing alright but FFS needs a chance to bed in. 

54 minutes ago, Lucan said:

you really have a problem supporting BCFC generally - perhaps you need to disappear in real Lord Lucan style?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's just amazing that it's 'same old same' old from the same old posters who just have a problem with all parts of the club.

you really have a problem supporting BCFC generally - perhaps you need to disappear in real Lord Lucan style?

Be much better if they just waited half a dozen games before criticising or over-praising.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If “supporting” means pretending that Bentley is a quality keeper then thanks but no thanks.

I would rather give an honest opinion than talk drivel in order to meet the internet dweebs standards of arse-lickery....

I can support without pretending every move the club makes is the right one 

• Aubergine 1