IGNORED

left back dilemma

where's the joy

Could Tommy Rowe turn out to be our best signing of the summer in light of JD's injury?

Could it present an opportunity for COD to establish himself in the first team and make left back his new, permanent position

Whilst i have liked JD going forward i have always felt he was light in defensive awareness and strength

Might just turn out to be a blessing in disguise

Not sure that Cal is too great in the defensive department to be effective there, but I've seen several leftsided midfielders and wingers become great wing backs over the years, so it is a possibility if yhe player is willing.

I just don't think the lad is committed to Bristol City and just wants to run his contract down so as he can earn another big signing on fee elsewhere.  A shame really as he has shown us what a really good player he can be when he puts in the effort.

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A shame really as he has shown us what a really good player he can be when he puts in the effort.

Has he actually though?

Doesn't score many, doesn't get many assists.

I don't think he's a bad player, but he seems to be one of those rare players who has a positive reputation that he doesn't really deserve based on performances, and I'm not really sure why.

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

Whilst i have liked JD going forward i have always felt he was light in defensive awareness and strength

Might just turn out to be a blessing in disguise

Losing any player to long term injury is bad news. And whilst I understand what you mean, losing a player of JD's calibre is certainly no "blessing" - disguised or otherwise.

I do, however, like what little I've seen of Rowe, and it might turn out that the bloke many thought was our most underwhelming signing of the summer proves to be one of the most useful.

As for COD, I too have seen left wingers become fine left backs (Clive Whitehead in the seventies would be the prime example), and Callum has many of the right footballing attributes to do well there. It's his attitude you have to wonder about. If he showed half the character that Rowe appears to possess, he'd be a major asset.

Archived