Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Olé

Korey Smith Racially Abused

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

Does make one wonder about the inadequacies in their lives, that they have to seek to belittle others to make themselves feel better.

• Like 3

Yeah all these people hide behind faceless accounts, I bet if you tracked them down they’d be some of the saddest most pathetic people on the the planet and you’d almost feel sorry for them. No one content in their own life would feel the need to send people that sort of abuse online.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Olé said:

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

It’s a form of bullying but because of social media instead of targeting the supposed weak kid in school (or work), 

the weak and jealous target those that are probably everything they want to be anyway I hope they get caught and punished appropriately!

• Like 2

I’m not going to post it on here , but the abuse is vile and the content would I would think be the most offensive thing you could  say to Korey

********* Tamping here 

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m calm . 

Social Media has to take a lot of blame. And has enabled these vile bastards to spout their shit to easily. Something needs to change 

Agreed. People see people like Katie Hopkins get rewarded with work in national newspapers for their vitriol, they think this is the norm

• Like 12

Hate generally is on the rise, whether it’s race, nationality, or anything else that marks out an individual as different to the person spouting this stuff. Social media has become the toxic channel by which much of this vitriol is spread. If you don’t recognise that, whatever your political persuasion, then you are either very blinkered, or you have been living in a cave without internet access for the past 10 years.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Unan said:

For anyone that wants to know what was said, I won't post it here - link

That is vile. Makes me feel angry. God knows how Korey and his family must feel. Hope they name and shame the piece of shit who done this 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I genuinely cannot understand why more isn’t being done by organisations such as Instagram and/or the police to identify these cretins so they can be deservedly punished. 

Whilst I agree sadly this won't change as long as the big companies like fb/instagram etc... are filling there pockets with money. Just like how big companies have never cared about climate change aslong as they make money .

Either we all boycott social media outlets or what i think we should do is use it far less as technology is worryingly over used!!! 

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Don't do social media: simple.

I do not understand why people feel the need to broadcast to the world their relationships, family, hobbies, holidays, and even meals.

Every sympathy for Korey as he comes across as a decent chap but because he's a decent chap he should drop Facebook, Instagram and whatever and leave it to the trolls and pond life that infest it.

Exactly.

Well said.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I do not understand why people feel the need to broadcast to the world their relationships, family, hobbies, holidays, and even meals.

Every sympathy for Korey as he comes across as a decent chap but because he's a decent chap he should drop Facebook, Instagram and whatever and leave it to the trolls and pond life that infest it.

It would be a good move to ditch platforms that refuse to self-regulate. People need to feel strongly enough, and in enough numbers, to make it work - until then apathy rules.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Social media is built on user generated content. Exactly like a football forum.

And you're posting on here. 

(Not having a pop at you, just wanted to point out that you do use social media).

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I believe the message was sent to his wife.

Unfortunately, her career is social media. These ‘influencers’ are more likely to be abused as they have to spend a considerate amount of time on their sharing their lives.

33 minutes ago, Unan said:

For anyone that wants to know what was said, I won't post it here - link

Hopefully a prosecution will follow, as it must be relatively easy to find this moron. Obviously he needs to be  Educated as well as punished?

If anybody on here is friends with that barrington guy from birmingham on social media.

Forward it to him, and im sure he would be willing to take this lowlife out for some community work.

He knows how to deal with scumbags like this.

50 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

(Not having a pop at you, just wanted to point out that you do use social media).

I appreciate that, and the last time I tried to read OTIB at work it was blocked as being "social media".

I however think that there is one huge difference between a forum and other social media: anonymity.

This isn't a shield to hide behind but rather it means that what is important is what you say and how you say it rather than who you are, what house you live in or what car you drive.

To take the OP here: @Olé. I don't know him from Adam (other than knowing he was the excellent admin of the previous Bristol City Netcentre) but he posts (IMO) excellent match analyses and generally thoughtful posts and I judge him on what he posts.

This is very different to a personalised platform where who you are, what you have matters as much as what you say mainly because much of the content is pictures rather than words.

It also jumbles together everything so it's not just your views on matters Bristol City but your politics, what you look like etc.

Even on here I rarely read the politics forum because I don't want to start disliking a poster on the football forum because of their political views.

Facebook and the like however bleeds everything together until you end up with a distilled virtual simulacrum with which, because it appears as a person, other simulacra start getting personal and nasty with it even seeping into real life. I know a middle aged woman who was done for assaulting another middle aged woman for something she had posted about her on Facebook.

Did I mention that I don't like social media? 🙂

• Like 5

Vile cowards.

Korey Smith doesn’t have to respond to scum like that, and shouldn’t have to be burdened with abuse like that.

The internet is amazing, but shows the downsides when it enables disgusting and pathetic low lives like the ones responsible for this trash.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If anybody on here is friends with that barrington guy from birmingham on social media.

Forward it to him, and im sure he would be willing to take this lowlife out for some community work.

He knows how to deal with scumbags like this.

I reckon Mark Little , Flinty And Big Wilbs could probably do a reasonable job

I would imagine you would have to be pretty empty on the inside to get any kind of personal reward from spending your time posting things like that on the internet. Wonder if whoever posted it proudly shows it to his friends or just looks at it themselves now and again to remind themselves of how they are winning in life?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm a touch uncomfortable about this - millions of people use social media in the way in which it's intended, to communicate with large numbers of other people quickly and respectfully. What you're saying here is that because a minority are trolls he should stop using it. A better response is highlight it (and certainly to the law and site owners), then carry on as before to show the idiots they won't succeed in bullying. 

Appreciate the latter is more easily said then done....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Although I agree with most of this, Korey should obviously be able to use social media freely. Personally I have never typed a single word on social network, unless OTIB is classed as social network? I see there is a reason for it, but not sure telling people what you have had for lunch or whatever is the reason? Back to Korey, absolutely disgusting ( but unfortunately not surprising behaviour) from the moron who abused Korey & his family. A great example imo of a decent person/family man is Korey. Have had the pleasure to have a quick chat with him & was happy to interrupt his coffee to talk to me & my son. Any abuse/discrimination is abhorrent & unfortunately social networking does ( in their own minds at least ) give people ( for want of a better word )  the power to spout this vile crap. Keep smiling everyone, don’t let the ****ers grind you down! COYR 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Although I agree with most of this, Korey should obviously be able to use social media freely. Personally I have never typed a single word on social network, unless OTIB is classed as social network? I see there is a reason for it, but not sure telling people what you have had for lunch or whatever is the reason? Back to Korey, absolutely disgusting ( but unfortunately not surprising behaviour) from the moron who abused Korey & his family. A great example imo of a decent person/family man is Korey. Have had the pleasure to have a quick chat with him & was happy to interrupt his coffee to talk to me & my son. Any abuse/discrimination is abhorrent & unfortunately social networking does ( in their own minds at least ) give people ( for want of a better word )  the power to spout this vile crap. Keep smiling everyone, don’t let the ****ers grind you down! COYR 

But that's not the only reason people use it though. I use Facebook to keep in touch with old school and university friends (and seeing how much more interesting their lives are than mine), Instagram (rarely) for F1 behind the scenes and Twitter for football and funny things.

To say people shouldn't use Social Media to avoid the abuse is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la". I know you haven't said this Simon, but someone further up did.

• Like 1

Lately it seems to have been a trend, especially in the sense that one person does it, and someone else/trolls sees it and thinks it is funny and wants to add fuel to the fire for no reason. I'm not sure if it is people being racist because they are ****'s or racist to troll and aren't quite aware of the gravity of the matter they are dealing with and just think it's funny. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m calm . 

Social Media has to take a lot of blame. And has enabled these vile bastards to spout their shit to easily. Something needs to change 

Make social media companies jointly and severally liable for anything posted (published) through their medium, aimed at any citizen or resident of the UK. They would then be jumping over backward to verify all user accounts to help protect themselves, as it would be in their financial interests to see that miscreants were prosecuted for any wrongdoings.

If you feel strongly about an issue that social media companies refuse to address, then you can always boycott them. You won't catch me on twitter, snapchat, instagram, or facebook or anything 'social media like' except youtube (or a couple of internet forums if we're counting them).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

But that's not the only reason people use it though. I use Facebook to keep in touch with old school and university friends (and seeing how much more interesting their lives are than mine), Instagram (rarely) for F1 behind the scenes and Twitter for football and funny things.

To say people shouldn't use Social Media to avoid the abuse is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la". I know you haven't said this Simon, but someone further up did.

I said it; and if you are using it with privacy settings and in closed groups then yes you can use it safely and it can be of value.

However to use it on open settings on a platform which anyone in the world can join and over which regulation is notoriously poor, slow, and reactive and not expect someone somewhere to be offensive is naive.

You don't get this sort of thing on OTIB for one simple reason: it is actively monitored and regulated.

If you choose to post on a platform that isn't actively monitored and regulated then you are opening yourself up for possible abuse.

Of course one "shouldn't" be open to that but then I "should" be able to leave my car unlocked with my wallet on the dashboard while I go for a walk. 

The world is however different in reality to what we think it should be.

23 minutes ago, grifty said:

You saved yourself there!😉 COYR 

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I genuinely cannot understand why more isn’t being done by organisations such as Instagram and/or the police to identify these cretins so they can be deservedly punished. 

Said it before to have these types of accounts you need to create an account using a credit card / debit card. If you or someone else posts such comments on an account in your name , you’re responsible and subject to any prosecution relevant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olé said:

I don't want to divert this from an issue of racism (The British Empire) but this is also about abuse. Forms of hatred and poor behaviour are always legitimised when in a crowd. It allowed a healthy disconnect I remember years ago going to the football as a teenager with my dad,  singing abuse that would never leave the ground and be thought of much after the game (but carried on in the pub). 

Social media is uncomfortable because the abuse no longer seems okay when outside of a crowd, although memes and pile ons have replicated the crowd quite well. Look at all of the abuse  Johnson got a couple of years ago for example, most of it highly personal.

Edited by Odysseus
  • Like 1

Despicable, but I guess that even pond life have access to computers these days. Korey is a million times the ‘man’ that wrote this bilge so I’m sure it won’t affect him too much. I hope so anyway, also as someone else mentioned great response from the club. 

I feel that's giving publicity to it. So not sure that's a great response. Just post the picture maybe with the caption / hashtag? Or come out much stronger against this racist garbage.

I feel like this is caught in the middle ground? Where we acknowledge it thus giving it publicity, but don't really say or do anything about it.

The conjecture, political debate and antagonism have been moved into a thread in the politics section where it belongs, if you wish to continue debate (or bickering) please continue there.  

Personally, I just can't get my head round anyone posting stuff like that - (the abuse, not the political debate).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Easy fix. People should have to put their card details or ID into these things to be able to register.  No hiding then. 

Harry Maguires suggestion was the best I've seen, every account should be backed up by either a passport or driving license held on record by the provider. You can still post anonymously but as soon as you post anything like this it is instantly traceable by the authorities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Harry Maguires suggestion was the best I've seen, every account should be backed up by either a passport or driving license held on record by the provider. You can still post anonymously but as soon as you post anything like this it is instantly traceable by the authorities.

I can't see this ever happening. Twitter would lose millions of users and would not be what it is now imo, as loads of people do not have passport or driving licence, and then most that do would probably not want to send such details. And then I am not sure how easy it is to do, as twitter does not have a huge number of staff as it is. They'd lose a lot of money employing more staff, whilst losing a lot more money from losing many millions of users.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see this ever happening. Twitter would lose millions of users and would not be what it is now imo, as loads of people do not have passport or driving licence, and then most that do would probably not want to send such details. And then I am not sure how easy it is to do, as twitter does not have a huge number of staff as it is. They'd lose a lot of money employing more staff, whilst losing a lot more money from losing many millions of users.

Ok then, Twitter and the like to come up with a workable solution or be shut down?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know many people without either of these documents? They don't cost too much and if you are that determined to use Twitter / Facebook etc then it shouldn't be too much of a deterrent assuming you are going to post reasonable content that won't cause serious offence and upset to people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Ok then, Twitter and the like to come up with a workable solution or be shut down?

Don't see either being shut down- US based, a lot more robust on speech etc etc.

Unless you mean no longer available in the UK? Unsure I like that approach, Great Firewall of China etc. OTOH there's clearly a problem!

As for the ***** who sent the abuse...

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't see either being shut down- US based, a lot more robust on speech etc etc.

Unless you mean no longer available in the UK? Unsure I like that approach, Great Firewall of China etc. OTOH there's clearly a problem!

As for the ***** who sent the abuse...

I understand but it really shouldn’t be beyond the wit of these organisations to come up with solutions to stop these idiots.

Social media, I've got mixed views on.

Dunno if I agree with @Eddie Hitler . Is useful- keeping in touch with people you know across the country and indeed outside it. Good way of keeping in touch.

That said I don't use it so much myself these days after some issues a few years ago and my social media was fairly open. Now it certainly is not! Mainly WhatsApp now and that's encrypted at both ends- occasionally FB, Twitter but the latter is more to read content I'm interested these days rather than Tweet/engagement with people.

As well as the obvious racism issues, trolling and I'm talking the nasty, vicious, insidious shit because some is fairly nonsensical  not great but not necessarily appalling either- big problem, especially IMO on FB. Sure there is more to put on that list too but that's 2 big problems right there for a start.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

There is a very big difference between OTIB and the public medias.

We use "Pen Names" to protect our anonymity. We have moderators who are very vigilant about anything out of place.

I'm very sad for the Korey Smith family. I have never met him but from his actions on the field of play, I believe him to be a credit to his family, his employer, BCFC, and the supporters from whom I have never heard any comments that are offensive or obscene.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

There is a very big difference between OTIB and the public medias.

We use "Pen Names" to protect our anonymity. We have moderators who are very vigilant about anything out of place.

I'm very sad for the Korey Smith family. I have never met him but from his actions on the field of play, I believe him to be a credit to his family, his employer, BCFC, and the supporters from whom I have never heard any comments that are offensive or obscene.

Pen names can remain even with ID verification beign introduced, they could just be stored by whomever the provider is just in case they are needed for criminal activity.