Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Eddie Hitler

Irish players

This crossed my mind when I looked up Paul Heffernan who is Irish in connection with strikers who are free agents (not a suggestion btw as he has hasn't played professionally for two years).

When it comes to non-English players we have had some brilliant Scots (Gerry Gow, Scott Murray and Paul Hartley spring to mind), some decent Welsh players (Mark Aizlewood, Lee Trundle) but nobody really stands out from Ireland, north or south.

I know Tommy Doc played for NI through ancestry and we have had youth players over the years including one promising one who we pulled out of signing after he decided to start throwing people into Torquay harbour but I struggle to name senior players. There was an attacking midfielder we signed from a Scottish club who was more of an impact substitution and I forget his name.

Am I missing somebody obvious or have we just not had the players for one reason or another?

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This crossed my mind when I looked up Paul Heffernan who is Irish in connection with strikers who are free agents (not a suggestion btw as he has hasn't played professionally for two years).

When it comes to non-English players we have had some brilliant Scots (Gerry Gow, Scott Murray and Paul Hartley spring to mind), some decent Welsh players (Mark Aizlewood, Lee Trundle) but nobody really stands out from Ireland, north or south.

I know Tommy Doc played for NI through ancestry and we have had youth players over the years including one promising one who we pulled out of signing after he decided to start throwing people into Torquay harbour but I struggle to name senior players. There was an attacking midfielder we signed from a Scottish club who was more of an impact substitution and I forget his name.

Am I missing somebody obvious or have we just not had the players for one reason or another?

We have had a couple, but as you say more from Scotland and Wales. I don't know if there is a historic reason, but in Dolman's book there is a chapter about Peter Doherty's period as Manager and how bringing in Irish players caused some division along sectarian lines in the dressing room. Maybe that has had an influence over the years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

We have had a couple, but as you say more from Scotland and Wales. I don't know if there is a historic reason, but in Dolman's book there is a chapter about Peter Doherty's period as Manager and how bringing in Irish players caused some division along sectarian lines in the dressing room. Maybe that has had an influence over the years?

I didn't know that but that can't have cast a shadow into the 90s surely?

1 minute ago, S.B. said:

Greg Cunningham's Irish I believe and he played a reasonable amount for us.

Yes, good call.

How can I have forgotten his excellent book running video!

3 minutes ago, S.B. said:

He is Irish from Galway, the best player in the Irish league is Jack Byrne at Shamrock Rovers who went through the Man City academy, he made his debut for the Republic last week coming on for O'Dowda and played a great cameo, wouldn't be surprised if he came to a Championship club in January 

We also had Smith, a striker for us, in the 90s. He never scored a goal.

There was also a loanee from Man City. Ryan (I've forgotten his surname) and was a midfielder with dyed bleach blonde short hair.

1958 world cup qualifiers; England v Ireland. City provided both centre forwards; John Atyeo and Dermot Curtis.

9 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

There was also a loanee from Man City. Ryan (I've forgotten his surname) and was a midfielder with dyed bleach blonde short hair.

McGivern, he was a left back wasn’t he?

44 minutes ago, S.B. said:

Isn't Derek Williams Irish, or of Irish descent? I know it seems unlikely with a surname that is more often associated with Welsh ancestry (and maybe I'm having a senior moment here), but I seem to recall him being considered for Irish representative honours at some level at one early stage in his career. Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else: I'm sure someone will correct me.

The other name that will mean something to old gits like me is Tommy Casey, who in the terminology of the day played left half (i.e. no. 6, for all you post-baby boom youngsters). He was an Irish international and a very classy player at City's (then) level.* He came once to my old school to do a bit of coaching and I still remember it. Lovely bloke and I learned more in about an hour then I did in all the rest of my school sports sessions.

*Edit: this was late 50s/early 60s. 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Derek Williams, Irish international, though born in Germany.

You pipped me by a matter of seconds, Major.

Edited by CliftonCliff
Omission

17 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Isn't Derek Williams Irish, or of Irish descent? I know it seems unlikely with a surname that is more often associated with Welsh ancestry (and maybe I'm having a senior moment here), but I seem to recall him being considered for Irish representative honours at some level at one early stage in his career. Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else: I'm sure someone will correct me.

The other name that will mean something to old gits like me is Tommy Casey, who in the terminology of the day played left half (i.e. no. 6, for all you post-baby boom youngsters). He was an Irish international and a very classy player at City's (then) level.* He came once to my old school to do a bit of coaching and I still remember it. Lovely bloke and I learned more in about an hour then I did in all the rest of my school sports sessions.

Ace pipper I am.

50 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

A bit of trivia here, Dermot Curtis played for City and scored in a 1-1 draw for Ireland against England in 1958 in a game where Atyeo scored for England, 

Good bit of trivia this. Have there  been many international matches where two City players played against each other?  There probably are a few, but not many, as our list of international players is quite small. 

58 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Andy Smith? That was 2007 but seems so long ago.

42 minutes ago, Robin Goch said:

Andy Smith? That was 2007 but seems so long ago.

Thanks Robin. 

Andy, that's him. Can't believe I've lost 10 years! Wow! Only 2007.

Always felt sorry for him. He was energetic but despite playing for a few English clubs, he never scored a goal.

John Burns who arrived from Forest as part of the Jim Brennan deal. At the time, Tony P***s heralded him as the next Roy Keane. 

He wasn’t. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

John Burns who arrived from Forest as part of the Jim Brennan deal. At the time, Tony P***s heralded him as the next Roy Keane. 

He wasn’t. 

£100k valuation in the deal; I don't think Pulis believed his own hype there. Just a headline grabber for the BEP.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's the fella I was trying to recall.

Though he was hardly a mainstay of the team.

He was not just a mainstay but the whole team

‘We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules.....

and number one is Ivan Sproule’ etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Pipped me to it with "straight backed" Tommy Casey. I loved the commanding style of running with the ball due to his upright stance. Hard as nails as well.

4 hours ago, S.B. said:

Although not as many as he thought he deserved . Not really let go of that one, young Greg.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

We did have those couple of young lads Keohane and ? a few years back.

Patrick Hoban. Subsequently played for Oxford but best spells in Ireland for Dundalk. 

Keohane played for Exeter and also had spells in Ireland but now plays for Rochdale.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Didn’t know trundle was welsh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

He wasn’t. 

All the puns about Barry Corr and John Burns is/was actually in a band and released music c2010

I remember going to see a tribute band in Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago and saw they were due to play the same place, interesting career change!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

You are correct as I pointed out earlier, he is from Liverpool. He is as English as Bobby Moore. He made his name with Welsh football teams as an Englishman playing for them, just as Billy Meredith and Ryan Giggs were Welshmen who made their name playing for English clubs...but doesn't make them English just as with Trundle it doesn't make him Welsh.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

There are many things under the moon, sun and stars that one cannot hope to glean within a mere three score years and ten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

All the puns about Barry Corr and John Burns is/was actually in a band and released music c2010

I remember going to see a tribute band in Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago and saw they were due to play the same place, interesting career change!

I hope he was a better pop star than he was a footballer!?

On 25/09/2019 at 13:27, stortfordred said:

‘We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules.....

and number one is Ivan Sproule’ etc

Love it. 

Didn't he score a hat-trick for Hibs against Rangers before joining us? One of the quickest wingers I've ever seen in a City shirt, after Junior Bent of course.

2 hours ago, boadle said:

Love it. 

Didn't he score a hat-trick for Hibs against Rangers before joining us? One of the quickest wingers I've ever seen in a City shirt, after Junior Bent of course.

Not as fast as Dave Smudger Smith!