IGNORED

Derby County Drink Driving charges (merged topics)

WhistleHappy

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I wonder what Joe Public on benefits would have got?

A custodial sentence because he wouldn't be frightened by the other inmates.

The judge wasn’t able to send them to prison was he?  I thought the guidelines had to be followed no matter someone’s profession?

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Joke of a punishment, send out the completely wrong message.

Not a major inconvenience having a driving ban when you can comfortably pay for a driver / taxi.

So fined 6 weeks wages by their employer, minimum punishment from the court - all over.

I really wonder what would have happened to Joe Public in exactly the same circumstances.

Pretty similar I think. Guidelines suggest maybe even less of a ban. 

On TalkSport, they are/were talking about the drink driving thing and alcohol in football generally.

Don't know it in full but Mel Morris apparently said- and it's probably one of many quotes- that "football needs to learn from this". What a laugh...

Taken from a Derby forum.

Mel Morris not live on radio:

• Mel has a back problem at the moment and is currently confined to bed.
  • Mel says drinking and driving is rife through the football world, whole sport of football must learn from this.
  • Needs to act as a deterrent for other footballers who do the same thing.

Yep, this sentence and club punishment- it's a real deterrent!! ?:laughcont:

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Current guidelines are for far harsher bans. This is farcical in extreme. Do that in my location and it would be 3 years and a drink related intensive rehab course with Monday morning breath tests. They must be laughing. No charges for the driving standards , nothing for causing injury to a passenger. The Police did not file anything with the cps. They certainly could have. 

From what I can find, 3 year bans are for second offences. Perhaps I’m missing something. 

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

How on earth have they got away with that. Almost all serious drink driving offences today are 3 years ban. That there was no charge relating to careless or dangerous driving beggars belief, and how a charge of dangerous driving and causing an injury was not filed by the cps suggests the local police are Derby fans. They nearly killed themselves and others around. The police and cps have. a lot to answer for here. Nothing to do with lawyers, the charges presented were pathetic . 

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Current guidelines are for far harsher bans. This is farcical in extreme. Do that in my location and it would be 3 years and a drink related intensive rehab course with Monday morning breath tests. They must be laughing. No charges for the driving standards , nothing for causing injury to a passenger. The Police did not file anything with the cps. They certainly could have. 

What about prison- or was that unlikely with the guidelines etc?

Still struggling with the comments of the judge- worth repeating as to a non lawyer like me- they're somewhat odd!

District Judge Jonathan Taaffee had warned the players a custodial sentence was an option, but decided not to follow through on the threat after hearing from probation services that they would struggle in prison.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

District Judge Jonathan Taaffee had warned the players a custodial sentence was an option, but decided not to follow through on the threat after hearing from probation services that they would struggle in prison.

This is absolute horseshit. I'd imagine that MOST people would "struggle in prison" if sent down for the first time. Mental. I can understand it if it went against precedent or sentencing guidelines but that excuse is nonsense  

26 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

This is absolute horseshit. I'd imagine that MOST people would "struggle in prison" if sent down for the first time. Mental. I can understand it if it went against precedent or sentencing guidelines but that excuse is nonsense  

You're right there! It's a joke- or would be if it didn't have the risk of having been being so serious ie the possibility of injury or even death from the crash- precedent and sentencing guidelines would be a reason albeit one open to debate but that reason is almost beyond parody!

The sort of explanation to a headline I'd expect to see in a Spoof publication- ie The Daily Mash, The Spoof or perhaps Private Eye to name 2 or 3- not a genuine judge in a genuine court case!!

Reckon this guy  or some UK relative must have been the judge sitting the case- go to 00:00:35 on here to 01:00:00.

Just now, Curr Avon said:

Yep seems harsh on the face of it given the other two were behind the wheel and are now back playing.

Although from Derbys perspective they were faced with having to pay a players wage for the rest of the season who through his own fault had made himself unavailable for selection.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

So, what about Lawrence and Bennett?

Guessing the fact that they have transfer value means that Derby are taking an inconsistent (hypocritical) approach.  Keogh wasn’t driving was he!!

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yep seems harsh on the face of it given the other two were behind the wheel and are now back playing.

Although from Derbys perspective they were faced with having to pay a players wage for the rest of the season who through his own fault had made himself unavailable for selection.

The cynic in me says the other two have value to Derby...…………...

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

We shall see.

Surely they are on dodgy legal ground if they sack the one who was actually left in the car- sacked because he didn't take a paycut apparently.

Very inconsistent approach to this whole ordeal.  Keogh, the scapegoat.  Hope he challenges their decision.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Guessing the fact that they have transfer value means that Derby are taking an inconsistent (hypocritical) approach.  Keogh wasn’t driving was he!!

Too true, Dave. Lets also hope that Keogh is able to play professional football again. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

It's driven (sorry) by money isn't it.

Lawrence and Bennett remain fit to play and so Derby can carry on employing and paying them as that employment still benefits Derby.

Keogh is crocked for the season - why pay him (and medical bills) when you can just dismiss him, presumably under some sort of gross misconduct clause. 

Nothing to do with wishing to punish anyone, just economics.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Very inconsistent approach to this whole ordeal.  Keogh, the scapegoat.  Hope he challenges their decision.

Agreed- Keogh wasn't even in court/in the dock and he's the one who is sacked!

@Grey Fox Of course, the financial POV all makes sense but I question employment law, consistency here etc.

@Vincent Vega Very much so!

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Too true, Dave. Lets also hope that Keogh is able to play professional football again. 

Don’t think we will be hearing the last of this....unless “sacked” is the external wording and “contract paid up” us what’s really happened?  

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We shall see.

Surely they are on dodgy legal ground if they sack the one who was actually left in the car- sacked because he didn't take a paycut apparently.

Wasn't there talk of Keogh suing the other 2?

Doubt it really. Probably sacked under some sort of misconduct clause in his contract or in some employee handbook. Therefore Derby can say that he was sacked not because of his injury or not taking a paycut. I guess he might be able to claim that the other two should be sacked as well but he's unlikely to get himself reinstated. Derby must have already taken legal advice on this and the contract is likely pretty good.

Archived