IGNORED

Pedro Pereira

Davefevs

10 hours ago, FrozenRobin said:

my opinions is my opinion

Yes, but you seem a little bit confused about what your opinion is...! 

Is Pedro 100 times better, or just better, in your opinion..? 

And you say that you’re not saying that Hunt isn’t good, just before saying that his defending is poor..! 

11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Would’ve liked to have seen him overlap Eliasson more. Once their fullback cottoned onto Eliasson wanting to use his left foot I felt he was getting the better of NE. 

I can understand him being hesitant in not wanting to overlap Eliasson.

I watched both Eliasson and Famara intently on Saturday.

As usual Eliasson will track and tackle when one on one with his opposite number. Where he struggles is when there is more than one player to cover.

He will often leave his man and point for him to be covered by the RB. What he fails to check is that the RB is already covering someone else and then gets overloaded. 

Am I the only one who feels Eliasson is becoming a parody of himself. A few shuffles, step overs and a ping into the box?

I was hoping he was going to become the wide player that could do that, but also come inside and make slide rule passes to feet into the 18 yard box. Having a bigger all round game.

10 hours ago, FrozenRobin said:

Not saying he isn't good, but his defending is poor at the moment, no matter how many goals he scores

I think we knew what we were getting when we bought hunt. The Wednesday fans were very open about his attacking persuasion 

So it's just as well that Pereira is better at defending... different 'clubs in the bag' to be used as best suits

There can't be many fullbacks outside the PL that are genuinely good at both attacking and defending equally

This is another testament to the balance of the squad - a weakness was spotted and addressed. It may have taken longer than the 3(?) windows Johnson claimed it'd take, but I believe he now has the depth he needs and all credit to him and his staff for getting there

We have become quite the  cosmopolitan championship side........with Portugal, Czech Republic. Austria, France, Senegal, Sweden, Hungary, Eire and Wales represented.  It's like the Fast Show sketch, when Paul Whitehouse as the manager converses in a different language with each player in the dressing room!  The Scottish player is the funniest, which only  Scott Murray would ken'?

4 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

I think we knew what we were getting when we bought hunt. The Wednesday fans were very open about his attacking persuasion 

So it's just as well that Pereira is better at defending... different 'clubs in the bag' to be used as best suits

There can't be many fullbacks outside the PL that are genuinely good at both attacking and defending equally

This is another testament to the balance of the squad - a weakness was spotted and addressed. It may have taken longer than the 3(?) windows Johnson claimed it'd take, but I believe he now has the depth he needs and all credit to him and his staff for getting there

I think Pereira is very good at attacking too going by his YouTube clips. He's got some skills and pace. 

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

As usual Eliasson will track and tackle when one on one with his opposite number. Where he struggles is when there is more than one player to cover.

He will often leave his man and point for him to be covered by the RB. What he fails to check is that the RB is already covering someone else and then gets overloaded. 

Am I the only one who feels Eliasson is becoming a parody of himself. A few shuffles, step overs and a ping into the box?

I was hoping he was going to become the wide player that could do that, but also come inside and make slide rule passes to feet into the 18 yard box. Having a bigger all round game.

Definitely a work in progress defensively. 

He seems to lack confidence in himself at times, going forward. I'd like to see him go past the defender on the outside more often (he is always offered the outside) and also it seems (perhaps I'm wrong) that he rarely gets all the way past a defender - just opens up enough space to ping the cross in. 

It would help him as others have said to have a fullback willing to make a run outside him.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Definitely a work in progress defensively. 

He seems to lack confidence in himself at times, going forward. I'd like to see him go past the defender on the outside more often (he is always offered the outside) and also it seems (perhaps I'm wrong) that he rarely gets all the way past a defender - just opens up enough space to ping the cross in. 

It would help him as others have said to have a fullback willing to make a run outside him.

And there in lies the problem... he's a liability defensively, so no RB is going to risk overlapping with him.

It's no surprise LJ will only use him in a 442 scenario.

He imo needs a fuller all round game to find a regular starting place. He's the lob wedge of the bag imo.

12 hours ago, Kibs said:

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but when we were under the cosh second half, with Reading getting a lot of joy down our right, Hunt was warming up nearby. He grabbed him while their was a break in play to give him some advice which was nice to see. 

RB has been a problem for ages IMO, now we have 2 very good players in that position.

That is evidence of a very good team spirit in the club.

Tactically, I'm not a big fan of LJ but he has got that right - solid dressing room.

I agree that Pereira had a good solid game and also did well when he was moved into a back three centre back.

Those earlier in the thread trying to pick who is the best are not seeing what we have. Two right backs, one a seasoned Championship pro, the other a young and talented lad from Portugal. Different types of right back but silly to try to choose which is best.

And Pedro with Taylor Moore, Jay Dasilva and possibly also Zak Vyner, we have four very good young back four defenders. And Aden Baldwin breathing down their neck's for an opportunity. And also Pring?

Bright future defensively!

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

And there in lies the problem... he's a liability defensively, so no RB is going to risk overlapping with him.

It's no surprise LJ will only use him in a 442 scenario.

He imo needs a fuller all round game to find a regular starting place. He's the lob wedge of the bag imo.

I honestly think some of our "would be coaches" on here overthink the game. Not every player will have the same strengths, their all round game with have weaknesses in it. I'd much rather praise Eliasson for being one of only two players (O'Dowda the other), who I think can consistently beat a man and deliver a cross like the one on Saturday, than berate him for doing the defensive duties to the same level. Oh and by the way, wasn't it only last week that someone put stats on here showing that he has the most tackles in the Championship? That will do me.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That is evidence of a very good team spirit in the club.

Tactically, I'm not a big fan of LJ but he has got that right - solid dressing room.

I agree that Pereira had a good solid game and also did well when he was moved into a back three centre back.

Those earlier in the thread trying to pick who is the best are not seeing what we have. Two right backs, one a seasoned Championship PRI, the other a young and talented lad from Portugal. Different types of right back but silly to try to choose which is best.

And Pedro with Taylor Moore, Jay Dasilva and possibly also Zak Vyner, we have four very good young back four defenders. And Aden Baldwin breathing down their neck's for an opportunity.

Bright future defensively!

I don't think Aden Baldwin is anywhere near breathing down their neck is he? Unless he's improved a lot since not managing to get in the Cheltenham team. To me Tom Harrison looked the better defender in one under 23s game. Only one game though, but he looked very talented.

I really like the look of Pedro. I wonder in a back 3 Pedro, Kalas and Moore, 2 very good ball players either side of Kalas. I know that means no Williams, just another option. We have numerous combinations we can play back there now. 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think Aden Baldwin is anywhere near breathing down their neck is he? Unless he's improved a lot since not managing to get in the Cheltenham team. To me Tom Harrison looked the better defender in one under 23s game. Only one game though, but he looked very talented.

I really like the look of Pedro. I wonder in a back 3 Pedro, Kalas and Moore, 2 very good ball players either side of Kalas. I know that means no Williams, just another option. We have numerous combinations we can play back there now. 

May be that "breathing down" is not the right thing to say. But Baldwin and Harrison are the current next in line and injuries and suspensions could easily mean an opening for one.

Good strength in depth and building for the future.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I honestly think some of our "would be coaches" on here overthink the game. Not every player will have the same strengths, their all round game with have weaknesses in it. I'd much rather praise Eliasson for being one of only two players (O'Dowda the other), who I think can consistently beat a man and deliver a cross like the one on Saturday, than berate him for doing the defensive duties to the same level. Oh and by the way, wasn't it only last week that someone put stats on here showing that he has the most tackles in the Championship? That will do me.

Fortunately the game has moved on...and players need an all round ability.

To the point where the Goalkeeper has got to be as good a footballer as your CBs etc.

You simply can't improve as a Club if you only have players with one prominent skill.

Of course we know the positives of Eliasson.

Anyway...I fear I may have detailed the thread. Back to Pedro...a fine RB who I hope we keep.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Fortunately the game has moved on...and players need an all round ability.

To the point where the Goalkeeper has got to be as good a footballer as your CBs etc.

You simply can't improve as a Club if you only have players with one prominent skill.

Of course we know the positives of Eliasson.

Anyway...I fear I may have detailed the thread. Back to Pedro...a fine RB who I hope we keep.

I agree to some extent, as long it doesn't happen to the point that the key parts of his game are nullified, i.e. he can't beat his winger because he has just run back 50 metres and back to kick the ball into touch. Anyway you are right, Pedro looks good for someone so young, even if he looks about 30 in features. :) 

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

Has there been confirmation of why he played?

Is it just because LJ sees him as a better option in a flat four, or did Hunt have a knock?

Going by Johnson's interview pre-game, he mentioned he'd spoken to the whole squad and said they'd all get game time and thus a chance to 'stake their claim'.

That and it being the 3rd game in a week, a lot of travelling etc. Just a bit of rotation as far as i'm aware.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

In. A. Nutshell.  Exactly what I said in other threads this weekend.  It was a key reason that Reading looked threatening in the second half.  Pereira had Ejaria....all we needed was Eliasson to keep close(ish) to their LB / LWB Richards.  But he kept trying to cover both, and as a result covered nothing, and exposed Pereira (who did v.well) when he was comfortable defending Ejaria.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Do we have an option to buy? 

Yes

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As you will know, tackles are necessarily a meaningful stat when taken on its own.  Kalas had one of the lowest tackles per 90 last season in the Champ.  Why so low?  Because he doesn’t need to tackle, he positions himself well, is quick so doesn't need to tackle.  The sample size for this season won’t be great either for Eliasson.

The dilemma for LJ is - does Eliasson’s attacking attributes and contribution to team cohesiveness outweigh the negatives of his defensive weaknesses (shape, positioning, intelligence).

He got the assist on Saturday, great.

But he also caused a complete lack of shape / system in second half too.

Anyway back to Pereira....impressed, more to come hopefully.

10 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Going by Johnson's interview pre-game, he mentioned he'd spoken to the whole squad and said they'd all get game time and thus a chance to 'stake their claim'.

That and it being the 3rd game in a week, a lot of travelling etc. Just a bit of rotation as far as i'm aware.

Might’ve been a very late tactical change with Baker pulling out 20 minutes before the teamsheet put in.

Archived