Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

QuedgeRed

Amusing comments on Pulis

5 minutes ago, Akira said:

Or Rose for that matter. Thought he was rubbish when he came here. Looked completely disinterested. 

Still looks rubbish to me. Every time I watch Spurs with my North London friend I take the piss and it's usually easy with plenty of ammunition supplied!

• Like 3

I’m not defending Pulis but 4 years ago maybe Gnabry wasn’t ready back then.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 3

Are people forgetting he had just recovered from a really bad knee injury at the point in time when he was loaned out to WBA..He was out for like half a year, don't blame him for not being a world beater in the 2014-2015 season, confidence and fitness must've been shot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Or Rose for that matter. Thought he was rubbish when he came here. Looked completely disinterested. 

Rose had a couple of very good games

Plenty of lemons brought into our club.

Pulis was dull but made us harder to beat, which was actually what we needed at the time in my opinion - although why he was selected over David Moyes is still puzzling.

8 hours ago, Akira said:

He WAS disinterested. Thought playing here for experience was beneath him. Completely different attitude from Caulker, who we got the best out of, but was sadly later derailed by his own demons.

Tammy also showed that a great professional does his best for whatever club he is at, bides his time, and takes his chances when they come.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He WAS disinterested. Thought playing here for experience was beneath him. Completely different attitude from Caulker, who we got the best out of, but was sadly later derailed by his own demons.

Tammy also showed that a great professional does his best for whatever club he is at, bides his time, and takes his chances when they come.

What makes you think he was disinterested?

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

What makes you think he was disinterested?

His performances. Clearly putting in less effort than he did when back in the Prem on loan to Sunderland, where he faced better opponents.

Clearly had pace and on the ball ability but spent most of his time here jogging aimlessly down the wing and not becoming involved much in active play. When he wasn't injured.

These kids that play for elite clubs are lauded and feted to high heaven based on potential and youth football, paid money their mates can only dream of, and many are already big-time charlies when they come to clubs in lower divisions on loan.

Some, like Tammy, use the experience of coming here to make friends, learn, and as a springboard on to greater things. Others don't.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

His performances. Clearly putting in less effort than he did when back in the Prem on loan to Sunderland, where he faced better opponents.

Clearly had pace and on the ball ability but spent most of his time here jogging aimlessly down the wing and not becoming involved much in active play. When he wasn't injured.

These kids that play for elite clubs are lauded and feted to high heaven based on potential and youth football, paid money their mates can only dream of, and many are already big-time charlies when they come to clubs in lower divisions on loan.

Some, like Tammy, use the experience of coming here to make friends, learn, and as a springboard on to greater things. Others don't.

So its your opinion that he was disinterested then. Could have been just a young player still learning the game. Lets be fair, Millen was the manager at the time and we very poor. And tactics was not millens strong point.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

So its your opinion that he was disinterested then. Could have been just a young player still learning the game. Lets be fair, Millen was the manager at the time and we very poor. And tactics was not millens strong point.

He was disinterested off the pitch too, walked round like he owned the place. And Caulker didn’t have any problem being a young player learning his game.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Well, amazingly, he suddenly got better on his next assignment when playing at a higher level, where he'd have faced much tougher games.

But it wasn't the end result. It was the effort. The effort he made here was minimal. And he had that Ryan Kent "I don't want to be here" face all the time as well.

Compare and contrast with Caulker, who was immense.

Makes me laugh when fans say players dont try. I cant imagine how anyone would play football and not try. So ridiculous

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Makes me laugh when fans say players dont try. I cant imagine how anyone would play football and not try. So ridiculous

To some footballers it’s simply a job and like all of us if we don’t like the our work environment then we are unlikely to do our best.

That certainly applies to some players and one was Rose  and it’s so ‘ridiculous’ to think otherwise that it doesn’t apply to some other players as well.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You obviously didn't know me at school!  :laughcont::laughcont::laughcont:

But, it's not so much the thought "I'm going to not make much effort and be deliberately shit" it's more not wanting to be somewhere, not feeling much of a connection with the team and from that low psychological point basically not giving your best.

We've all seen it bags of times from certain players at City in the past.

Fingers crossed, it's not a charge I'd ever level at anyone here now.

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I can imagine some players looking for a move, or not liking the manager and trying to get them the sack not trying.

A minority for sure but there must be examples of that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yeah Tomlin gave maximum effort when he was here after he signed permanently, pretty much like what got reported by every other clubs fans once he got his permanent move...

43 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It’s not so much not trying, it’s not trying as much. Look at Spurs last weekend when they lost the ball. Static compared to the last few years.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

To some footballers it’s simply a job and like all of us if we don’t like the our work environment then we are unlikely to do our best.

That certainly applies to some players and one was Rose  and it’s so ‘ridiculous’ to think otherwise that it doesn’t apply to some other players as well.

Well yes, but if they have the “just a job” mentality, they still need to do well to progress in there career

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I can imagine some players looking for a move, or not liking the manager and trying to get them the sack not trying.

A minority for sure but there must be examples of that.

Maybe subconsciously. But no one benefits from not playing well. Football is highly competitive and there’s always someone willing to take your place 

10 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Well yes, but if they have the “just a job” mentality, they still need to do well to progress in there career

Rose was less than impressive on loan at City but ended up playing for England so he obviously impressed somewhere.....

Being Yorkshire boy maybe he didn’t like Bristol or the area or maybe he had been reluctant to go on loan? 

Who knows?       :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rose was less than impressive on loan at City but ended up playing for England so he obviously impressed somewhere.....

Being Yorkshire boy maybe he didn’t like Bristol or the area or maybe he had been reluctant to go on loan? 

Who knows?       :dunno:

He was played on the left wing while he was with us, which might not have helped.

28 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He was played on the left wing while he was with us, which might not have helped.

I would say he was more left midfield/wingbackat the time think Joe bryan type position..... 

15 hours ago, Riaz said:

Danny Rose has recently said he doesn’t really like football and it is just a job to him. And if he didn’t like where he was sent to work, it’s not too hard to see why he wouldn’t put in the level of effort required to make a success of the job. Caulker on the other hand loved playing but has been so sadly undone by other demons, when he clearly had the talent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Danny Rose has recently said he doesn’t really like football and it is just a job to him. And if he didn’t like where he was sent to work, it’s not too hard to see why he wouldn’t put in the level of effort required to make a success of the job. Caulker on the other hand loved playing but has been so sadly undone by other demons, when he clearly had the talent.

Totally missing my point that you quoted. If its just a job, then he still needs to do well to further his career. Not trying, could potentially affect his future earnings!

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

he wouldn’t put in the level of effort required to make a success of the job

He's hardly done badly!

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

I bought the book about the 4 seasons in the top division directly from David Woods, and he told me that keeper John Shaw hated football then and now, and for a long time wanted no input into the book. He hated the game but I still remember him giving 100% every time.

Edited by The Horse With No Name

19 hours ago, Riaz said:

Maybe subconsciously. But no one benefits from not playing well. Football is highly competitive and there’s always someone willing to take your place 

This is a fair point in theory but it seems a bit naive - there’s so many examples of players not giving the same level of effort in different situations. Otherwise everyone would be at the top of their game, fitness permitting, all the time.

It might be down to something more than complacency, confidence or something else but there’s overwhelming evidence that it happens regularly.

As for people making sure they progress their careers... What about Ravel Morrison? It’s a real shame he’s never got anywhere near his potential, but it’s not down to anyone else except him for not taking his opportunities.

Edited by RonWalker

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I bought the book about the 4 seasons in the top division directly from David Woods, and he told me that keeper John Shaw hated football then and now, and for a long time wanted no input into the book. He hated the game but I still remember him giving 100% every time.

Possibly similar to a comment by a Model Railway shop owner.

"When your hobby becomes your job, it loses it's attraction."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And what’s your point?

• Confused 1