Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Runners!

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Ouch. Don't do it!

Honestly, it was a real grind, but a good feeling getting to the top. If you go a little beyond the golf course you really do feel you've ascended the mountain because you're at the highest point for as far as the eye can see. 

So, actually, do it!

The worst bit is the B4058 up to Renishaw which doesn't have any path for pedestrians, and then when you reach the golf course the traffic is speeding by at 60 mph and again no pavement.

I suppose you can hop over to the course at the top, but it would be better with a different route from Charfield to the Old London Rd.

The roads put me off doing that again more than the hills, although my hip was feeling it after the ascent.

I'm doing a marathon in April, all going well, so will be doing more of those long ones, probably slower and less hilly though.

Yeah, it’s an absolute beast. I drive up there regularly, whether to play at the golf course or to drive to Nailsworth, Tetbury or wherever - it avoids going through Wotton which can sometimes take a while. And yes, the view is superb. 
The route you did, the climb technically starts just past Renishaw, and obviously gets huge as you go up Old London Road. 
Gonna have to do it soon. 

Yeah, I’ve sometimes done the route past Renishaw on the B4058, no path for about a km once you leave Charfield. I’ve only done it if I’m up early enough on a Sunday morning, knowing there’ll be little traffic. 

If you’re trying that route again, there’s a way around it. 
Turn at the petrol station in Charfield, down the hill, right at the first junction and you go up past Swinehay (there’s a Grand Designs House up there, at the back of Renishaw pretty much), then you drop back down the hill from North Nibley and you’re back up the hill by Bradley Green (just up from the Rowe Vets you’d have passed). 
I’ve scribbled over your route through Charfield, below. 

Anyway, fair play mate, that’s some distance for Xmas day, and to go up that beast of a climb is superb on such a long route. 

CD71CF4F-27F1-44D5-A984-6BE53C64454B.jpeg

Edited by Harry
1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Finally managed to get under 2hrs yesterday for a half 1.56.44 - very pleased with that 

Great work mate. You’re coming along amazingly. I remember that first half I ran with you at Forest of Dean, 3.5 years ago. You’ve taken about an hour off your time now. Brilliant 👍

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great work mate. You’re coming along amazingly. I remember that first half I ran with you at Forest of Dean, 3.5 years ago. You’ve taken about an hour off your time now. Brilliant 👍

Mate i was thinking about that the other day - i was in absolutely no shape to be doing that run at all when i look back, i was in agony after 9 miles and i couldn’t get walk after due to my knee, I’ve unfinished business with that run....

• Like 1
On 27/12/2020 at 09:16, Alex_BCFC said:

I managed a half for first time in about 6 years last week. 1:50:34 which I was also very pleased about! No idea how people run a marathon.

I think its more a mindset than anything else. Slow your pace to keep your heart rate in zone 2/3 and just not try to push it. I feel like trying one sooner or later. I've gone as far as 18 miles and it was more the cold of evening stopped me more than physically. 

• Like 1

After having tendonitis in my knee which has stopped me running for 8 months, I'm restarting. C25k for me which does feel beneath me but at 52 I'm gonna build up gradually and for once, listen to and follow advice 🙂

• Like 2

How was everyone’s 2020 then. 
Mixed bag for me. 
Started the year doing just a few runs on weekends between weekly 5 a side. 
Lockdown allowed me to really ramp up the running, hitting a high of 157k in July. 
Started playing football again in August and went back to full 11 a side in September (not a great idea at 46 and a 9 year break!!), which had a knock on effect on my running and also gave me lots of niggles. 
Was hoping, with no 11 a side football since Nov that I’d ramp up the running again, but a combination of a few little tweaks and niggles here and there has limited my distances. 

Ended the year with 1,213kms in total. 1,083 of running and 130k of football in various guises. 

I’ve got a target to beat for 2021 now - obviously football/injury dependent!!  

I reckon there a few of you on here who’ve done at least 1,500k and beyond......

122C6476-4731-40D9-9647-89241C279785.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Well after trying a few short runs in Jan I ended up in Hospital by the end of it thanks to my Crohns. A whole week in Southmead and then two months of recovery and a new injection got me back on my feet.

April: 21m

May: 66m

June: 75m - first 1/2 marathon 1:59

July: 77m

August: 68m - Sub 1:50 1/2 marathon 

September: 67m - 10k sub 45:00, 20:33 5k

October: 67m - Sub 1:40 1/2 marathon, Sub 43:00 10k

November: 77m 1:37 1/2 marathon, longest run 16m

December: 73m 

Total for year 548m. 

Pretty happy with that given I’ve not run properly since I was 16 and although I was of decent level at school (5:30ish mile) I never thought I’d get back into groove so easily. 

Goals for 2021 maybe try hit 100m a month or at least 800-1000m by year end. I think hopefully being back in office will allow me to do a lot more lunchtime runs. Hopefully some races later on and perhaps trying to go beyond 20miles at some point 

• Like 3

Good shout @Harry 2020 has been a good  year for running if nothing else! 1509 km done for the year with 2 months of 200km or over. Switched from endomondo to Strava in Feb or March as it was recommended as being more accurate but tbh some splits around the docks seem to me to be inaccurate. Like you I’ve been back into eleven and five a side football and I think you appreciate it so much more when you’re older, if only I could go back to being a 20yr old again with the experience we have eh! 

Anyway. The goal for 2021 is just keep going. Let’s hope we’re all of us on here fit and strong enough to keep doing the same, let’s enjoy it, embrace it and bloody well smash it!!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Well, I ended up rounding off the year with a HM. Kind of Withnail-ish in that it was supposed to be 10k but I decided that my planned route would be too lethal so had to extend!

Finished the year on 4,119km. A few five a sides and easier paced walks in that but reckon I met my target of average 10k run a day and there’s at least 3660 km of pure runs/jogs in there.

Love to get up to marathon next year dependent on time available - not always easy with kids to get out for longer trots.

Congrats all and HNY!

7B4A6FDE-D0ED-410D-966D-6E2FDCCB8AFD.png

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

Marathon training started this week, although I've already gone off plan (1st week doesn't matter!)

I'm doing 37 miles in total this week and somehow have to build to 50 mile weeks. Not sure my right knee can withstand that, particularly with my lack of stretching and strengthening...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TomF said:

Genuinely struggled with my knees last two weeks. Not sure if it’s the temps but not bothered me previously 🤷‍♂️

I don't think there's a runner in the world that doesn't get knee pain at some point. Comes with the territory to an extent, although I've added strengthening to my training plan to see if that sorts it out. I'm supposed to be doing barbell squats and deadlifts today (low weight) amongst other things.

Recently I've also started slowing down my longer runs. I'm supposed to run at 9 mins/mile but I tend to go too quickly. It sounds daft but slowing one's pace cake actually be quite challenging. 

On 08/01/2021 at 20:24, TomF said:

Genuinely struggled with my knees last two weeks. Not sure if it’s the temps but not bothered me previously 🤷‍♂️

I’ve had a knee issue for last ten days. Did 1:47:12 (PB) for a half on NYD and today 1:59:00 despite 9 days rest. Not really sure what can be done other than rest?

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’ve had a knee issue for last ten days. Did 1:47:12 (PB) for a half on NYD and today 1:59:00 despite 9 days rest. Not really sure what can be done other than rest?

Yeah I rested mine for 5 days and then  ran a steady 10k with issue.  Hopefully just a rarity 

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

Any advice about mitigating achilles pain from running?  I've been out a couple of times since new year but have to wait 5/6 days before trying again due to the pain.

Cycling is less painful..

It might sound daft but when was the last time you had a good sports massage? 
I thought i had a bad ankle before but it was all to do with having a very tight calf, had a few sessions and it was sorted 

On 10/01/2021 at 11:44, Alex_BCFC said:

Well weirdly they say strengthening for tendon injuries (I'm not a physio mind!). So maybe rest isn't always the best policy and sometimes regular squats etc would help? 

@mozo I mentioned I was keen to run up that brutal hill climb you did on Xmas day. 
Managed it this morning. Wow!! That was tough. 
Eased myself into the run to start climbing at 1k and got to the top by the golf club at 5k. That 4k distance was quite literally vertical for about 2.5k and only levelled off temporarily a couple of times. 
An absolute beast!! 
Was nice turning at the top and running back down it though 🤣

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Harry said:

@mozo I mentioned I was keen to run up that brutal hill climb you did on Xmas day. 
Eased myself into the run to start climbing at 1k and got to the top by the golf club at 5k. That 4k distance was quite literally vertical for about 2.5k and only levelled off temporarily a couple of times. 
An absolute beast!! 

I think mental hill climbing was the order of the day today. Thought to myself “Not been to Somerset monument before, might run there”. Vertical. 

The stupid thing was that it was 10k into a HM so after killing my legs I had another 10 to go. Currently unable to move on the sofa!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Harry said:

An absolute beast!! 

Fair play - I’ve ridden that on my bike, it’s a beast indeed!! Good 10k time with that hill involved 👍👍

• Like 1

Great work everyone!

Having fallen out of love with running quite quickly during lockdown 1 and enjoying the gyms being open again, lockdown 3 has seen the enjoyment of running return!

So far, I’ve clocked 40 miles for the month since the day of lockdown beginning. Having only sporadically run outdoors in months, I’m pretty chuffed with that. Not bothered about the speed at the moment, just getting miles into the legs and enjoying being able to get out and clear my head from the stresses of homeschooling etc. 

Ran up Bridge Valley for the first time ever yesterday. Boy, what was tough. I thought it was then pretty much flat down to the Bridge - how wrong I was. Going up the Promenade felt tougher than going up Bridge Valley! And loads of people around not socially distancing - very annoying. Did 7m - today’s been a rest day as aching all over!

Target for the month is 100km - has been years since I’ve achieved that. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think mental hill climbing was the order of the day today. Thought to myself “Not been to Somerset monument before, might run there”. Vertical. 

The stupid thing was that it was 10k into a HM so after killing my legs I had another 10 to go. Currently unable to move on the sofa!

Fair play mate. Just looked at your route. I’ve done a couple of 10k’s along Chase Lane and King Lane, the initial hill as you go into Chase Lane is manageable. I usually turn at King Lane and towards Horton. I see you went straight on toward Hawkesbury, up to the Monument - that’s a big climb!! Fair play. It’s then pretty lumpy all through Horton and Vinney Lane. Tough half marathon that - good stuff. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Fair play - I’ve ridden that on my bike, it’s a beast indeed!! Good 10k time with that hill involved 👍👍

Yeah, I was surprised at the time to be fair. I usually clock around 4:45-4:50 per km on average, those massive inclines had me at 6:30!! However, on the way down I was sometimes hitting 4:00 pace - I felt half Kenyan for a few minutes 🤣