IGNORED

Fam

JBFC II

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

That's not strictly true, though, is it?

My perception, from afar, is that @BobBobSuperBob has some experience in this field.

He has, perhaps, 'generalised', which is unfortunate, but please try not to denigrate him because of a misguided comment.

How I saw it was he made the comment, backed it up by saying he has 30 years of experience in the field and then questioned anyone who questioned his comment because they didn’t have the same experience. 

I’m not denigrating him at all, just seeing his posts as I saw them written

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

How I saw it was he made the comment, backed it up by saying he has 30 years of experience in the field and then questioned anyone who questioned his comment because they didn’t have the same experience. 

I don't have have 30 years, but I know the field well and work with groups of people who are massively stigmatised already. His comment was unhelpful at best, and at worst perpetuates stigma that people face.

What the person spends their money on is absolutely irrelevant. People get physically assaulted, denied access to services, housing, healthcare etc because of the stigmas that those sort of comments feed and it was right to call him out on it. 

17 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Havnt read all the comments but could i be first to say that he probably miss-controlled handing the cash over......?! ?

nice thing to do tho Fam. 

Not only that, but as I understand it he passed up the opportunity to give money several times before when clear to do so. Only when Elliasson was passing by did Fam convert the chance to donate.

(Just joking Fam - fair play)

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

That is probably a fair comment, so I apologise.

1 hour ago, BristolCity1992 said:

I don't have have 30 years, but I know the field well and work with groups of people who are massively stigmatised already. His comment was unhelpful at best, and at worst perpetuates stigma that people face.

What the person spends their money on is absolutely irrelevant. People get physically assaulted, denied access to services, housing, healthcare etc because of the stigmas that those sort of comments feed and it was right to call him out on it. 

I disagree vehemently!

I understand that there are 'beggars', who, for whatever reason, depend on our charity.

I have been abused by 'beggars' when I have offered cigarettes (some years ago, as I no longer smoke), or food (on leaving a supermarket), because they want ready cash.

If a 'beggar' - I am not using this word disparagingly - refuses my offer of food or (non-alcoholic) drink, I simply walk away, for I refuse to feed their addictions, whatever they may be.

I know we must not generalise, but just a few years ago I tried to donate a quilt to a 'beggar' who frequented a local supermarket - the abuse I received (he wanted cash!) left me in despair, almost disgust. 

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That is probably a fair comment, so I apologise.

I disagree vehemently!

I understand that there are 'beggars', who, for whatever reason, depend on our charity.

I have been abused by 'beggars' when I have offered cigarettes (some years ago, as I no longer smoke), or food (on leaving a supermarket), because they want ready cash.

If a 'beggar' - I am not using this word disparagingly - refuses my offer of food or (non-alcoholic) drink, I simply walk away, for I refuse to feed their addictions, whatever they may be.

I know we must not generalise, but just a few years ago I tried to donate a quilt to a 'beggar' who frequented a local supermarket - the abuse I received (he wanted cash!) left me in despair, almost disgust. 

Who here has even mentioned "beggers"? What has that got to do with a big issue seller? 

I'm not defending people that aggressively ask for money and I've been annoyed by those who act in this way many times. They are different too people that have to ask for money for whatever reason. No one's demanding that you give money to anyone either, I don't care if people do give or not, that is up to them and in fact I understand the many reasons that don't, aren't able too, and I am also one of those people. 

As I said I've seen the damage of abuse and stigma towards people that are homeless, have complex needs including drug and alcohol use, and other needs.

Someones decision to use substances is neither here nor there. It is not for others too make a moral judgement against and I ask people to try and not slip into that. I'm not asking people to give money to anyone. I expect fellow professionals not to peddle that stigma.

Also just to point out that I've met people with years of experience who are amazing, and those that aren't. I've met those new to professions who are amazing, and those who aren't. I've seen how stigma can create divisions in a service and how it can lead to abuse of those that we are meant to help. That's why I think it's important too call it out. 

Archived