Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

City oz

City goal keepers that have scored goals.

Recommended Posts

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fully prepared to be corrected here - however, I'm going to say that Cashley's goal is the only time a goalkeeper has scored in a competitive fixture for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

No idea how accurate this list is, but Cashley is the only City goalkeeper listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goalscoring_goalkeepers

I don't trust that list, it doesn't include Sly Stallone. :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't that giant German (Maierhoffer?) score for us one game and play in goal for part of the next?

I think he only played about 3 times at the very end of GJs reign, and his has to be about the most bizarre Bristol City career ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

Definitely not foggy. It was raining and there was a howling gale blowing straight down the ground. I was standing on the East End directly behind the goal when Ray launched his kick down towards the other end. There was a moments pause when the ball went in the net then the whole ground erupted. Great moment.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

Yes but it wasn't foggy. Just pouring with rain and a strong wind blowing from Covered End toward Open End. One bounce and over Jeff Wealands head into the net.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was foggy when Chris garland scored with an orange ball but that game got abandoned. any idea which year?  which game?

The Cashley goal is a funny one because its one of those occasions when everyone of a certain age was there. i reckon i was there unfortunately my Dad is not with us to confirm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, the frampton balti said:

it was foggy when Chris garland scored with an orange ball but that game got abandoned. any idea which year?  which game?

The Cashley goal is a funny one because its one of those occasions when everyone of a certain age was there. i reckon i was there unfortunately my Dad is not with us to confirm

Leeds...... How do you know if he scored? 

4 dec76 iirc

Edited by archie andrews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Didn't that giant German (Maierhoffer?) score for us one game and play in goal for part of the next?

I think he only played about 3 times at the very end of GJs reign, and his has to be about the most bizarre Bristol City career ever.

I don’t think he scored for us did he?

Only played a handful of games, and 20 minutes of one was in goal. Kept a clean sheet as well iirc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I don’t think he scored for us did he?

Only played a handful of games, and 20 minutes of one was in goal. Kept a clean sheet as well iirc!

No, he didn't score. 

Been around a bit though! 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2002–2003 First Vienna 18 (2)
2003–2005 SV Langenrohr 53 (26)
2005–2006 Bayern Munich II 42 (21)
2007 Bayern Munich 2 (0)
2007 TuS Koblenz 14 (3)
2007 Greuther Fürth 10 (2)
2008  Rapid Vienna (loan) 11 (7)
2008–2009 Rapid Vienna 38 (24)
2009–2011 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 (1)
2010  Bristol City (loan) 3 (0)
2010–2011  MSV Duisburg (loan) 27 (8)
2011–2012 Red Bull Salzburg 39 (15)
2013 1. FC Köln 14 (1)
2014 Millwall 11 (2)
2014–2015 SC Wiener Neustadt 4 (1)
2015 Millwall 10 (1)
2016 AS Trenčín 10 (2)
2017–2018 SV Mattersburg 37 (7)
2018– FC Aarau 22 (10)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

I always thought he was offside

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, the frampton balti said:

Very good!

i was at the open end as i recall I think the goal was at the east end .

memory is a funny thing.

Did you look that up?

No tfb.... Remember Leeds taking over park end too that day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

No tfb.... Remember Leeds taking over park end too that day

Leeds take the Park End .......Not on my watch mate!

ps what does tfb mean in this case . I just discovered there is a thread on this from 2016 . ive been giving this forum a break for a few years!

were you there for the Cashley goal?

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

I am fully prepared to be corrected here - however, I'm going to say that Cashley's goal is the only time a goalkeeper has scored in a competitive fixture for us.

The week before, home to Scunthorpe in the League Cup. Their goal went in off Cashley's rear end! Don't worry, we won that game 3-1 and the following Tuesday was that game against Hull. I don't remember foggy though. It was raining heavily and I was one of just a few on the Open End.

The ball was brown and as mentioned, bounced once and passed over the head of Wealands who had come out of his goal to catch  the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

Only remember that one and was in the enclosure as well.

Edited by BigTone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its cheating a bit as will not be in the stats, but have half a memory of a keeper taking one in a penalty shoot out once. Might also have entirely made that up mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

I don’t think he scored for us did he?

Only played a handful of games, and 20 minutes of one was in goal. Kept a clean sheet as well iirc!

 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

No, he didn't score. 

Been around a bit though! 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2002–2003 First Vienna 18 (2)
2003–2005 SV Langenrohr 53 (26)
2005–2006 Bayern Munich II 42 (21)
2007 Bayern Munich 2 (0)
2007 TuS Koblenz 14 (3)
2007 Greuther Fürth 10 (2)
2008  Rapid Vienna (loan) 11 (7)
2008–2009 Rapid Vienna 38 (24)
2009–2011 Wolverhampton Wanderers 9 (1)
2010  Bristol City (loan) 3 (0)
2010–2011  MSV Duisburg (loan) 27 (8)
2011–2012 Red Bull Salzburg 39 (15)
2013 1. FC Köln 14 (1)
2014 Millwall 11 (2)
2014–2015 SC Wiener Neustadt 4 (1)
2015 Millwall 10 (1)
2016 AS Trenčín 10 (2)
2017–2018 SV Mattersburg 37 (7)
2018– FC Aarau 22 (10)

I stand corrected! Got the three games right though.

I think one was GJs last game at Plymouth, which is remembered for other reasons now. But I remember that we were truly awful that night: we stuck this guy (who was about 7') up front, and the clear instruction for every City player was quite clearly to just launch the ball skyward in his general direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

I was there as well. It inspired me to start playing in goal, until I realised it was a thankless task and you got blamed for everyone else's muck ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too was at the Hull game  (age 11). That goal is still one of my great City memories. I was lucky enough to be near the front of the East End to the side of the goal so had a view of it all the way down the pitch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 22A said:

The week before, home to Scunthorpe in the League Cup. Their goal went in off Cashley's rear end! Don't worry, we won that game 3-1 and the following Tuesday was that game against Hull. I don't remember foggy though. It was raining heavily and I was one of just a few on the Open End.

The ball was brown and as mentioned, bounced once and passed over the head of Wealands who had come out of his goal to catch  the ball.

I was also in the Open End that night, probably sheltering by the Hospital Broadcast box if it was still there at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

Don't remember it being foggy............fog and gale force winds ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

Lee peacock and tinman both played in goal and scored goals for us

Early 1970's Millwall took out Cashley so John Galley took over as only one sub permitted then. 1-0 up, 2-1 down but drew 2-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Not City but Jimmy Glass mind #SCENES

 

A few months before that goal I was working with Frank Talia’s partner Michaela. At that time he was at Swindon and Jimmy Glass was his understudy. I asked her whether Frank ever fancied himself as an outfield player and she said “no, but Jimmy does, he looks for any excuse to play in in training”.

As you can imagine, it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news that he had scored that goal at Carlisle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, City oz said:

I was in the old enclosure in front of the grand stand and alway remember Ray Cashley  scoring a goal. It was a very foggy night but you could see all his kicks were for some reason landing in Hull City’s box area.  In the second half he managed to score, the ball bounced in front of the Hull keeper and went straight over his head in to the net. This was early 1973. Any one else witnessed a City goalie scoring a goal ?

I was in the East End that night.  One of my favourite moments.  Had a soft spot for Hull until more recently!! 😉😉😉😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

A few months before that goal I was working with Frank Talia’s partner Michaela. At that time he was at Swindon and Jimmy Glass was his understudy. I asked her whether Frank ever fancied himself as an outfield player and she said “no, but Jimmy does, he looks for any excuse to play in in training”.

As you can imagine, it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news that he had scored that goal at Carlisle.

That’s ace. I guess a lot of goalies are really frustrated strikers. 

Although I was lead to believe at the time Frank Talia was still marries to his wife Geni 

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a kid, I grew up understanding that Pat Jennings was the only gk ever to have scored from a drop kick.

I was present on the night Ray Cashley scored and my recollection is yhat it was so foggy, you couldn't see one end of the pitch from the other.  I may be wrong though as ancient memories can be a funny thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

I am fully prepared to be corrected here - however, I'm going to say that Cashley's goal is the only time a goalkeeper has scored in a competitive fixture for us.

Well, we’ve had keepers who’ve also scored goals for us - Rob Newman, Louis Carey, Brian Tinnion - pretty sure they all donned the gloves for us at some point, and all obviously scored goals at the right end - does this count?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cashley is the only nominated city goal keeper to score in a competitive match. However he was originally signed as a left back. He also played in every game in 75/76 when city were in the 1st Division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

That’s ace. I guess a lot of goalies are really frustrated strikers. 

Although I was lead to believe at the time Frank Talia was still marries to his wife Geni 

I hope I haven’t been indiscreet then. :) They were definitely together when I knew here, not sure of the timelines though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I waas there at that game ,in the East End .Remember the ball bouncing over keepers head ( a young Jeff Wealands I think ) and into the net .Our players stopped for a second or two of disbelief before running back to celebrate with Cash

Edited by Mr Roper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, we’ve had keepers who’ve also scored goals for us - Rob Newman, Louis Carey, Brian Tinnion - pretty sure they all donned the gloves for us at some point, and all obviously scored goals at the right end - does this count?!

Close enough!

Did any of them score previously in the games in which they then ended up in goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was standing in the enclosure for the Hull game - always liked to follow the forwards back in the day when you could move freely through that section of the ground. I have a clear memory of Jeff Wealands initially moving towards the ball until he realized he was caught in no mans land. He started to back up but the ball hit the wet ground in front of him and fizzed into the net. On the next day's local news a tv crew was filming Ray Cashley trying to replicate the feat, but he didn't come close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...