Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lez

Premier League My Arse - based on last 4 games

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

Let's be realistic here we are now being found out. The last 4 games 3 against poor sides we have had one good 45 minute spell 2nd half at Charlton.

Reading we were lucky, dominated in spells by them.....Luton we were dire.....Wigan we were dire.....charlton a 98th minute winner masked over the cracks. If we think this side is going up in a weak championship division we are delusional.

LJ you say you want BCFC identity.....we have no identity we never have had identity under your management.....we have no particular style of play, we have no consistency in selection, and we have no set structure. Today was utterly humiliating.

Yes we got a point. Deserved nothing. 

And what's the biggest worry? Our players who were keeping us in it getting us wins we didnt always deserve are now making mistakes.....Massengo last 2 games before today making lots of mistakes.....bently 2 games 2 mistakes today one costing us badly.

Those 2nd half tactics....lost, clueless, the players looked confused....havent thought so obvious since Mciness away at millwall those years ago.

And Kasey Palmer.....great ball Wednesday but for 4 million quid you are not doing enough.....not even close pull your finger out and have a look at yourself.

We are where we are because of a bang average 2019 championship and today along with the last month or so has not been good enough.

Cheer up mate. Kalas, Nagy, Smith, Dasilva and Afobe out. Half a team. 

Best to try to remember that 

• Like 7

We’re 6th, with some of our most important players out injured and there’s 30 odd games left. 

How can you write off the chance of promotion? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We’re 6th, with some of our most important players out injured and there’s 30 odd games left. 

How can you write off the chance of promotion? 

With half our team unavailable, top six isn’t good enough apparently 

Mentality of this group of players is unbelievable. To keep getting these late goals despite peformances. If we go up it will be down to that, a lot of teams don't have what we have.

1 minute ago, handsofclay said:

Fortunately, promotion to the Premier League isn't based on 4 games instead it is based on 46 matches.

Unless you're Swindon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Let's be realistic here we are now being found out. The last 4 games 3 against poor sides we have had one good 45 minute spell 2nd half at Charlton.

Reading we were lucky, dominated in spells by them.....Luton we were dire.....Wigan we were dire.....charlton a 98th minute winner masked over the cracks. If we think this side is going up in a weak championship division we are delusional.

LJ you say you want BCFC identity.....we have no identity we never have had identity under your management.....we have no particular style of play, we have no consistency in selection, and we have no set structure. Today was utterly humiliating.

Yes we got a point. Deserved nothing. 

And what's the biggest worry? Our players who were keeping us in it getting us wins we didnt always deserve are now making mistakes.....Massengo last 2 games before today making lots of mistakes.....bently 2 games 2 mistakes today one costing us badly.

Those 2nd half tactics....lost, clueless, the players looked confused....havent thought so obvious since Mciness away at millwall those years ago.

And Kasey Palmer.....great ball Wednesday but for 4 million quid you are not doing enough.....not even close pull your finger out and have a look at yourself.

We are where we are because of a bang average 2019 championship and today along with the last month or so has not been good enough.

Lez is more .

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

6th in the table.

Unbeaten in 6 at home.

1 defeat in the last 13.

Nagy, Dasilva, Smith, Kalas all to return from injury.

Last six years:- L1 12th, L1 1st, C 18th, C 17th, C 11th, C 8th - and now 6th.

I’ve been following City for over 30 years now and can’t remember a period of such consistent incremental improvement over many years, and so many reasons to be cheerful.

If people can’t find in themselves to be at all optimistic or positive during a period like this, then go and support Barcelona or Man City like all the plastics elsewhere in our city.

spot on

46 minutes ago, Lez said:

I've deleted this because I was pissed off when I typed it.

I wish I could've done that back in the day after my rant on radio bristol after the infamous 3 little pigs game v Wolves.

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

As Fergi said "Never underestimate the value of a home point" Especially when it's the 84th min and you're playing crap. (I said that )

You are at least as wise as Fergie, and possibly kinder to refs.

• Haha 1

We’ve been really poor  in the last 5 games really. Preston away it sounded like we played well.

Positive is that we are playing poorly but getting results with a squad decimated by injuries and now our only decent fit striker is out for 2 more games.

One real negative is why does LJ never get us playing well at home. This isn’t a recent thing - it’s been going on a long time now. I know today you can blame injuries etc but over a long period it hasn’t improved. 

• Like 2

Losing Afobe has been the real killer. You can see in the way we play, we need a player with his profile. There were too many crosses today with no one on the end of them. Weimann can't play that role either. That said, on balance we've had a good season so far, especially considering the injuries. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

6th in the table.

Unbeaten in 6 at home.

1 defeat in the last 13.

Nagy, Dasilva, Smith, Kalas all to return from injury.

Last six years:- L1 12th, L1 1st, C 18th, C 17th, C 11th, C 8th - and now 6th.

I’ve been following City for over 30 years now and can’t remember a period of such consistent incremental improvement over many years, and so many reasons to be cheerful.

If people can’t find in themselves to be at all optimistic or positive during a period like this, then go and support Barcelona or Man City like all the plastics elsewhere in our city.

I just can’t get excited by the football we play, we lack any control, structure or pattern

Very rarely do we pin teams back and over run them either physically or technically 

We pick up scraps and the odd 5 mins of pressure and somehow scrape wins and draws

Appreciate we are top 6 but I can’t recall when I last came away from a league game feeling entertained and believing we were good value

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Lez is more .

Who's Lez?  Aaaah the OP.  Keep up Tone

Edited by BigTone

I am amazed that we are the position we are in , for long periods the football isn’t great to watch but we do still seem to pick up the points.

A few years ago to me , it felt like we played much more exciting football ,  but then we often got beat by 3 or 4 goals at the same time.

I guess I would rather have the points , I think 😬

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corshamred said:

I am amazed that we are the position we are in , for long periods the football isn’t great to watch but we do still seem to pick up the points.

A few years ago to me , it felt like we played much more exciting football ,  but then we often got beat by 3 or 4 goals at the same time.

I guess I would rather have the points , I think 😬

Agreed. Although not knocking what we are achieving results wise, I do reckon we have to be up there for being one of the most boring of Championship sides to watch, home and away. Top 6 though, and i'll be honest, I wasn't expecting this at all so I'll take that for now.

Edited by AppyDAZE

The season we got to the play offs V Hull was not exactly like watching Brazil- I remember a number of matches we won or drew and thought how the **** did that happen?

IF we can be 6th after nearly a third of the season gone , playing not that well overall, with some very very good players to return AND a window to come.......

I'd say the OP is an arse and needs to celebrate being 1 win from the leaders.

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Mods 

Can I gain permission to attack the poster not the post?

Ah! You agree with the post but dislike the poster?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Seriously need to replace Afobe in January though.

I’m sure Rodri is a good player and could well prove to be a useful striker. But it’s hard to tell, during a match where the ball never reached him. Our over cautious approach is starting to strangle our performances. Eliasson can’t save us either if the ball is stuck between the back five and defensive midfielders.

Well done to Wigan though for smothering us.

• Like 1

Big crowd, lots of newbies, chance of an auto- promotion slot and played at an odd time on Sunday..... absolute guarantee of a sloppy City performance.

Has always been the way.

Never learn. We always deliver our most abject performances in such circumstance.

Time we got our analytics team to tell LJ it’s complete bollox this idea about ‘rest’.

Just keep the ‘footballers body age-old clock cycle’ of Tues/Wed then Saturday and stop trying to be clever.  

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Tammyjr said:

Truth hurts I know but let's face it if we can't beat wigan at home were SHIT I rest my case your honour ???

Wigan beat Man City in the cup last season, does that make them shit too?

No OP is bang on. LJ has said multiple times we need our identity back but who knows what that is? 

Only thing I see with us is we are hard to beat which is fair enough. Going forward I have no clue what we are outside of boring and predictable. I have been guilty of it but criticising our play isn’t the same as saying we are a poor side. We can as a fanbase not be happy with our style of play. We are generally devoid of any ideas on the ball. We chop and change 3-4 times a match not letting any momentum build. LJ is terrible at timing subs either going too early or too late. We have been relying on our defense and midfield to keep teams out. I am sick and tired of showing up at AG and being utterly bored with our attacking play amd nervous watching our defense and keeper snuff
out danger 98% of the time hoping it is enough.

Same questions remain about whether LJ can take us to the next level and I can’t see how anyone is more than unconvinced by him. If we had been dominate on Wed and at times today you wouldn’t hear anything from me but Charlton battered us at times and Wigan controlled large parts of today.

For me, at some point we have to show more improvement. We are still talking about do we finish top 6. Well there are 4-5 clubs that will be top 6 and thinking can we be top 2. I don’t see any reasons why we can’t be part of that conversation other than most of those sides have top managers. We have made giant strides under LJ in his almost 5 years but the first 2.5 were big leaps and the last 2.5 have been marginal. I am a couple pints in so possibly a bit over the top but when do we say LJ has got us as far as he will? Despite what the table says we aren’t better than we were from Boxing Day a couple years ago against wolves to feb last season to now. No better, marginal improvement and very similar and ordinary performances. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Tammyjr said:

Truth hurts I know but let's face it if we can't beat wigan at home were SHIT I rest my case your honour ???

Yep, let's judge on one game shall we.

How about a comeback win v Charlton who drew at table topping WBA- and could have won- yesterday.

How about the 2-0 v QPR, okay not the best but they are riding quite high too- Nagy getting injured has really affected how we can build in, and control the midfield.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Big crowd, lots of newbies, chance of an auto- promotion slot and played at an odd time on Sunday..... absolute guarantee of a sloppy City performance.

Has always been the way.

Never learn. We always deliver our most abject performances in such circumstance.

Time we got our analytics team to tell LJ it’s complete bollox this idea about ‘rest’.

Just keep the ‘footballers body age-old clock cycle’ of Tues/Wed then Saturday and stop trying to be clever.  

Well said..I'm inclined to agree about the extra days rest bollocks, don't think it's ever worked in our favour 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No OP is bang on. LJ has said multiple times we need our identity back but who knows what that is? 

Only thing I see with us is we are hard to beat which is fair enough. Going forward I have no clue what we are outside of boring and predictable. I have been guilty of it but criticising our play isn’t the same as saying we are a poor side. We can as a fanbase not be happy with our style of play. We are generally devoid of any ideas on the ball. We chop and change 3-4 times a match not letting any momentum build. LJ is terrible at timing subs either going too early or too late. We have been relying on our defense and midfield to keep teams out. I am sick and tired of showing up at AG and being utterly bored with our attacking play amd nervous watching our defense and keeper snuff
out danger 98% of the time hoping it is enough.

Same questions remain about whether LJ can take us to the next level and I can’t see how anyone is more than unconvinced by him. If we had been dominate on Wed and at times today you wouldn’t hear anything from me but Charlton battered us at times and Wigan controlled large parts of today.

For me, at some point we have to show more improvement. We are still talking about do we finish top 6. Well there are 4-5 clubs that will be top 6 and thinking can we be top 2. I don’t see any reasons why we can’t be part of that conversation other than most of those sides have top managers. We have made giant strides under LJ in his almost 5 years but the first 2.5 were big leaps and the last 2.5 have been marginal. I am a couple pints in so possibly a bit over the top but when do we say LJ has got us as far as he will? Despite what the table says we aren’t better than we were from Boxing Day a couple years ago against wolves to feb last season to now. No better, marginal improvement and very similar and ordinary performances. 

Battered WBA at times yesterday too, at the Hawthorns- the side top of the League.

No. Easy. Games.

Nonetheless, I have some nagging doubts about LJ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, let's judge on one game shall we.

How about a comeback win v Charlton who drew at table topping WBA- and could have won- yesterday.

How about the 2-0 v QPR, okay not the best but they are riding quite high too- Nagy getting injured has really affected how we can build in, and control the midfield.

And lose 3 nill at Luton wtf

4 pts from 2 home was about what I was deep down expecting.

Wouldn't say it was a disaster, but still 2 dropped today- but then I thought it might be beat Wigan, be held by Charlton.

6th with half a team out and still to return- and surely this run of injuries will turn soon, it's beyond ridiculous- is not a terrible place to be.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tammyjr said:

But it's a disaster this week? ?? We ain't got the bollocks

Tbh 4 points from two home games is far from a disaster is it?

You're acting like we have just lost two home games, chill out dude.