IGNORED

Peter Cormack

Baldyman

So sad but read an article today about Peter Cormack . Now 73 he’s been diagnosed with dementia which the family believe to be football related.  He signed for us the first season I started watching City as a 10 year old so I have fond memories of seeing him in a City shirt . 

It is very sad for families going through this as my father also has dementia. There are various types and vascular dementia is the worse. Unfortunately with the severe strain there is a weekly deterioration.

Cormack had success with Liverpool in the early 1970s and played for City late 1970s in division1. Those that can remember the first season in division 1 was the last match against Coventry with the famous 2-2 draw. 

I hope some how he gets well.

Like a lot of people around my age, much of the live football I saw on tv was of Liverpool in the European cup, I probably knew their team as well as the City team of the day and I always loved Peter Cormack as a player.

When we signed him, it felt like we had become a proper first division club. He did have some injuries and only played 67 games for us over about 4 seasons, but still scored 15 goals for us.

I think his best game for us, certainly the one I remember was against Arsenal which I think we won 3-2, he was unplayable that day.

I wish him and his family well, it’s sad to hear these storied. I do wonder though, how many of the players involved would trade their careers for good health later in life.

Interesting, as PC was not a centre forward or defender who would have experienced a particularly high number of headers. It makes you wonder how many are actually affected. Of course it will be difficult for his family to prove that heading the ball was the cause of his condition.

It’s hard to reply to this but dementia is a high possibility in the family structure and mainly around the mothers genes. It’s a very sad illness  and it is devastating when a loved one is diagnosed. I do not thinking playing football is a contributing factor for this unfortunate disease  and I hope Peter has been diagnosed with the minor strain and I’m sure his family like other families rally around to support each over. I wish him all the best as Peter gave me great enjoyment watching him play for city.

I have just looked up our results V Arsenal and the game I must be thinking of was 2-0 to us. I think Cormack scored both goals and hit the bar with an overhead kick. By the way it’s 39 years since we last played Arsenal in any competition, when we played them on the opening day of the 76/77 season it was our first meeting in 56 years!

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Like a lot of people around my age, much of the live football I saw on tv was of Liverpool in the European cup, I probably knew their team as well as the City team of the day and I always loved Peter Cormack as a player.

When we signed him, it felt like we had become a proper first division club. He did have some injuries and only played 67 games for us over about 4 seasons, but still scored 15 goals for us.

I think his best game for us, certainly the one I remember was against Arsenal which I think we won 3-2, he was unplayable that day.

I wish him and his family well, it’s sad to hear these storied. I do wonder though, how many of the players involved would trade their careers for good health later in life.

It was 2-0 to city I believe. I was stood on the open end with my old man. An old bloke (probably about the age I am now!!) stood in front of us was so overcome by city beating arsenal That left half way through the 2nd half. 

Archived