IGNORED

Riddle Me This

ExiledAjax

I always thought when a red card is going to be issued play has to stop. So advantage shouldn’t have been played and therefore the handball never happens though speculation that he is sent off for dissent. Though that also does not happen if play stops. 

Perhaps that rule has changed and I am unaware. Or maybe it never was but I am quite sure that is how it is supposed to work

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I always thought when a red card is going to be issued play has to stop. So advantage shouldn’t have been played and therefore the handball never happens though speculation that he is sent off for dissent. Though that also does not happen if play stops. 

Perhaps that rule has changed and I am unaware. Or maybe it never was but I am quite sure that is how it is supposed to work

I haven’t seen the incident, but my understanding is the same as yours.  If the ref is going to issue a red card, the game must stop.  I’m sure a ref on here will clarify,

40 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I haven’t seen the incident, but my understanding is the same as yours.  If the ref is going to issue a red card, the game must stop.  I’m sure a ref on here will clarify,

VAR can issue retrospective red cards for serious incidents. They did so to Bertrand in the Southampton v Leicester game.

However, you're right that previously there was no circumstance in which this could happen. I don't think the rules have changed for the on field referee.

I don't believe VAR issued a retrospective red in this case though, my opinion is that the referee made an error.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think advantage was played as the ref didn't immediately think it was a red. Only when play stopped did he decide it was a red. But at that point you erase the play after the red...so they shouldn't have had the second guy sent off, and Chelsea shouldn't have had their penalty.

I am really not sure what the laws say on this but this feels the just way to operate.

Archived