Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Akira

Match Fixing

Recommended Posts

Ex Man City player guilty of match fixing

Former Premier League player Dickson Etuhu has been found guilty of attempting to fix a match in Sweden's top division by an appeals court.

He played for other clubs such as Norwich, Sunderland, Blackburn and Fulham. 

Quite surprised this sorta thing doesn't happen more often. You'd like to think people play the sport out of love, but no doubt that someone offering you a large bung, to those not highly paid in football, might be tempting. I'm glad he's been caught, but no doubt there were others involved aswell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Happens in the lower leagues here.

 

How low we talking? How'd you know? Massive shame if that is the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The book on the bruce grobbelaar trial is excellent, even won sports book of the year

His ex friend stiched him up a treat,

Glad he got not guilty, when you read the facts its very intresting, the sun made out he took a envelope stuffed with cash, wasnt the case at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have discussed this subject in open conversations with a number of league and even international footballers over the years and every one of them has said that they have never been involved in a game where they had the slightest suspicion of fixing.

I think the nearest it gets is where two teams are playing each other when both perhaps just need one point to avoid relegation or get promoted. Remember the game at Highfield Road where nobody wanted to cross the halfway line for the last 10 minutes.

However there have been suspicions of foul play.  The World Cup Final between Brazil and France springs to mind - Ronaldo got food poisoning and the rest of the team looks like they had all been given sedatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at some of the top keepers in the last few years who have excelled in unexpected and perhaps dubious errors for club and country, I can think of one suspect is no longer in the national team but still playing in the premiership!

of course it goes on, it’s a short career and the rewards from syndicates can be huge! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The book on the bruce grobbelaar trial is excellent, even won sports book of the year

His ex friend stiched him up a treat,

Glad he got not guilty, when you read the facts its very intresting, the sun made out he took a envelope stuffed with cash, wasnt the case at all.

He did handle outside the area against us though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I have discussed this subject in open conversations with a number of league and even international footballers over the years and every one of them has said that they have never been involved in a game where they had the slightest suspicion of fixing.

I think the nearest it gets is where two teams are playing each other when both perhaps just need one point to avoid relegation or get promoted. Remember the game at Highfield Road where nobody wanted to cross the halfway line for the last 10 minutes.

However there have been suspicions of foul play.  The World Cup Final between Brazil and France springs to mind - Ronaldo got food poisoning and the rest of the team looks like they had all been given sedatives.

Wasn't their strong suspicions of something "iffy" back i the 78 world cup in Argentina. 

In the last group game Argentina needed to win and by 4/5 clear goals in order to progress and to do so at the expense of Brazil - their big rivals. They won far too easily 6-0!

I'm sure Ive read that a Peruvian official says that they were paid to throw the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Happens in the lower leagues here.

 

I just cannot see how it happens regularly, if at all. My reasons are you are match fixing to get lumpy bets on and make a lot of money. The bookies have everything in place to track any activity on any market, if it is an obscure market you just won't be able to get a decent amount on anyway, and if an influx of bets come in on a certain match (more so on lower leagues), then the alarm bells will be going off immediately - even just on the win market. Other avenues like Betfair just does not have the liquidity anymore like it did many years ago, so to get a decent sum on is nigh on impossible. As soon as a few bets gets struck online the markets get flagged up to the shops etc, and you will be lucky to bet in the shops in cash. It is just near impossible to get the money on without it being flagged up and reported to authorities imo.

Same with Horse Racing where there are very rarely "fixed" races which people think there are, but there will be plenty of non triers - and if you are in the know and lay them for bigger liabilities than your usual bets, then you will soon have your account suspended with the balance withheld, and a phonecall from Betfair and the BHA expecting you to be interviewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wasn't their strong suspicions of something "iffy" back i the 78 world cup in Argentina. 

In the last group game Argentina needed to win and by 4/5 clear goals in order to progress and to do so at the expense of Brazil - their big rivals. They won far too easily 6-0!

I'm sure Ive read that a Peruvian official says that they were paid to throw the game.

Yeah, I have a vague recollection of that too.  Far too long ago to remember very clearly though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wasn't their strong suspicions of something "iffy" back i the 78 world cup in Argentina. 

In the last group game Argentina needed to win and by 4/5 clear goals in order to progress and to do so at the expense of Brazil - their big rivals. They won far too easily 6-0!

I'm sure Ive read that a Peruvian official says that they were paid to throw the game.

1982 as well.

Before my time but I've read about it...Germany or West Germany as it was then I think needed to beat Austria 1-0 exactly and this was when the final round of group games were not played simultaneously- only 1-0 would do for them both to progress and 1-0 it was!

Euro 2004- Denmark v Sweden- one I remember unlike the above- those two needed a score draw of 2-2, or greater to deny Italy due to head to head rules- finished 2-2!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

He did handle outside the area against us though

He did something crazy outside the area in every game he ever played.

Clough was cheated out of europe, called the ref bent at the time, and years later it all come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R***** couldn’t even do that properly,can’t remember if it was one or 2 players involved,was one of them called Swan? ,anyway they messed it up and I believe they were bubbled by a team mate,although I might be wrong on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

R***** couldn’t even do that properly,can’t remember if it was one or 2 players involved,was one of them called Swan? ,anyway they messed it up and I believe they were bubbled by a team mate,although I might be wrong on that.

Bristol Rovers goalkeeper Esmond Million.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are cases in all sports at all levels really, its probably incredibly difficult to quantify.

Every human has their price whether money or threats against their family or blackmail. There was a young talented aussie tennis player who got caught for it not long ago.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-22/tennis-player-oliver-anderson-match-fixing-offence/10293928

Team sports are even harder to pick as other than goalkeeper there are very few positions that can really influence a result, but its more likely to be rife at the upper and lower ends of the scale where people have a lot to lose (the top) or nothing to lose (at the bottom).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wood_red said:

I just cannot see how it happens regularly, if at all. My reasons are you are match fixing to get lumpy bets on and make a lot of money. The bookies have everything in place to track any activity on any market, if it is an obscure market you just won't be able to get a decent amount on anyway, and if an influx of bets come in on a certain match (more so on lower leagues), then the alarm bells will be going off immediately - even just on the win market. Other avenues like Betfair just does not have the liquidity anymore like it did many years ago, so to get a decent sum on is nigh on impossible. As soon as a few bets gets struck online the markets get flagged up to the shops etc, and you will be lucky to bet in the shops in cash. It is just near impossible to get the money on without it being flagged up and reported to authorities imo.

Same with Horse Racing where there are very rarely "fixed" races which people think there are, but there will be plenty of non triers - and if you are in the know and lay them for bigger liabilities than your usual bets, then you will soon have your account suspended with the balance withheld, and a phonecall from Betfair and the BHA expecting you to be interviewed.

You’re right about the horse racing,I used to occasionally go into a cafe near a well known trainers stables,which was frequented by many of the stable lads,and whilst they couldn’t tip me any winners,they would tell me what horses not to back as they wouldn’t be trying,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

There are cases in all sports at all levels really, its probably incredibly difficult to quantify.

Every human has their price whether money or threats against their family or blackmail. There was a young talented aussie tennis player who got caught for it not long ago.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-22/tennis-player-oliver-anderson-match-fixing-offence/10293928

Team sports are even harder to pick as other than goalkeeper there are very few positions that can really influence a result, but its more likely to be rife at the upper and lower ends of the scale where people have a lot to lose (the top) or nothing to lose (at the bottom).

The one person that can influence a game is the ref, it would be hugely tempting for them considering their pay is no where near that of a footballer. 

Edited by Up The City!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2019 at 07:04, Carey 6 said:

Happens in the lower leagues here.

 

Used to happen (well spot fixing) every week at AG in the early nineties. 

First throw in.... 

Hoof. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Used to happen (well spot fixing) every week at AG in the early nineties. 

First throw in.... 

Hoof. 

 

I remember that. I had a mate who worked for one of the major bookmakers back then when spot betting became a thing and he told me they stopped offering a market on first throw in after only a short while as it was becoming obvious that players were just hoofing it into touch straight from the kick off (and presumably having a bet on same).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...