IGNORED

Nagy lucky / Shocker

AppyDAZE

Adam is indeed lucky.  I said to my son at the time a clear red.  He thought yellow.  I said "out of control" on seeing the video, he said "red card and a half".  Adam Nagy was lucky he didn't end up with a broken leg.  Horrible two footed tackle and deserves a 3 game ban.

Daft thing though is that it was so unnecessary.

Their keeper was lucky not to go as well after continuing his antics even when he had been carded.

Just seen it on the Quest re-run. A two-footed lunge with both feet off the floor with studs showing. As clear a red as you will ever see (I must admit I thought yellow at best at the time) but the slo-mo looking from the half way line shows just what an awful tackle it was. Adam is very lucky to still be walking this morning.

Was an awful tackle- straight red definitely.

On a side note, I am a bit surprised there are not lawsuits between clubs given players fees and wages now, multi-million pound assets quite often and that doesn't even include the wages- plus of course the increasing influence of agents. This could set a worrying precedent. I've said this for a while now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50479168

EKFujDXW4AkFdcg.jpg:large

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was an awful tackle- straight red definitely.

On a side note, I am a bit surprised there are not lawsuits between clubs given players fees and wages now, multi-million pound assets quite often and that doesn't even include the wages- plus of course the increasing influence of agents. This could set a worrying precedent. I've said this for a while now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50479168

I've not read the court report from this case as I can't find it anywhere but this case almost certainly won't set a precedent. For a start there is a general principle under the law of negligence that footballers owe each other a duty of care on the pitch and that reckless tackles using excessive force breach that duty of care if damage is caused. There have been numerous cases decided on this point at both amateur and professional levels. At professional or semi-professional levels as the club is acting as an employer they become vicariously liable for the damage caused. The precedents are already there.

There are pictures of the tackle in question and it looks like the tackler jumps off the ground into the standing leg of the injured player. He stated that he "admittedly [...] went in with a tough challenge" and the referee gave evidence that the tackle was reckless and with excessive force. Tackles like that have no place in football and there is rightfully a claim there if serious injury results. Similar arguments about floodgates being opened were probably made after McCord v Swansea or Watson v Gray, but it's been 20 years since then and cases are still few and far between.

The 2 scandalous elements of the case involve the league and its clubs having insurance which doesn't cover legal costs, and then a club running up legal bills of over £110,000 fighting a claim worth less than £20,000 and then starting a GoFundMe page expecting the general public to bail them out.

Archived