Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Silvio Dante

Return of The Pat....

Recommended Posts

Per Evening Post, Jamie Paterson’s loan to Derby will be cut short in January. Was anticipated as Rooney eligible from then creating a logjam for places.

Won’t be able to reloan/sell in January as he played vs Leeds so Jamie fully back in the fray.

Likely will lead to loan out for Szmodics IMO.

Also, gives another decent creative spark when on form. Not displeased by this overall.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he better than any of our current first teamers in his position ?

 He could be useful if we have several more injuries otherwise he’s in for a quiet second half to the season unless he ups his end product and performances.

 I like the lad but we have moved on and he needs to as well.

 

  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is he better than any of our current first teamers in his position ?

 He could be useful if we have several more injuries otherwise he’s in for a quiet second half to the season unless he ups his end product and performances.

 I like the lad but we have moved on and he needs to as well.

 

There’s evidence to suggest we haven’t moved on. Paterson is probably our second best footballer after Nagy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Rovers 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jack on off ski said:

Crucial part of the season to have Pato return, hopefully refreshed

Quite likely - There seem to be plenty of opportunities for taking on "refreshments" during the evenings at Derby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, great. I can rest easy now. 

Another one of Lee’s ‘busy bees’ returning to the hive.

Fast, aggressive, powerful, dynamic, incisive football will be returning back to The Gate.

 

Wonderful news. Promotion guaranteed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting to see what sort of player we get back.

Hopefully one who realises that his opportunities here were limited by himself, and the chances of walking in to another Championship side were not automatic.

So unless he wants to drop down a division, hopefully we will see the desire, hunger and drive to make a real go of here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Same as O'Dowda, has got to do more than 1 great game followed by 6 invisible ones.

Maybe watch the games properly if you think he's invisible! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pato in, Szmodics out on loan is my guess. Plus Pato can play out wide to provide balance for Eliasson and a runner/replacement for Palmer. Also he's one of the few players who tries to run past people.

I think this is a good move if LJ wants to use him.

I get annoyed by Pato, but he gets in positions that make me annoyed, which is better than doing nothing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Maybe watch the games properly if you think he's invisible! 

As you seem confused, he's obviously not invisible as he's a human being.

However the reactions to my comment and numerous others on this thread seem to agree that while he shows some exciting promise occasionally he rarely has more than 1 good performance in a row. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paterson is a superbly talented player on the ball. And works very hard off it. He'd suit playing for a team like Brentford more than he suits us. He needs players that are like him around him, not the likes of a Fam. 

It's no coincidence he looked sensational when up top with Bobby, and didn't look so good when Fam can back into the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OneTeamInBristol said:

As you seem confused, he's obviously not invisible as he's a human being.

However the reactions to my comment and numerous others on this thread seem to agree that while he shows some exciting promise occasionally he rarely has more than 1 good performance in a row. 

Obviously I knew what you meant! I'm saying he isn't invisible as he actually does a lot for the team. I don't mean literally invisible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Obviously I knew what you meant! I'm saying he isn't invisible as he actually does a lot for the team. I don't mean literally invisible.

I doubt a player that does a lot for the team would have been allowed to go out on loan for the season to a Championship rival do you?

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson is a superbly talented player on the ball. And works very hard off it. He'd suit playing for a team like Brentford more than he suits us. He needs players that are like him around him, not the likes of a Fam. 

It's no coincidence he looked sensational when up top with Bobby, and didn't look so good when Fam can back into the team.

‘ sensational ‘ ? 

Pato is not consistent enough , constantly flatters to deceive .

He has the skill but is missing something from his make up that would make him a nailed on starter for most Championship clubs and, dare I say it , even at Prem level .

He will find himself going down the divisions to get regular game time .

I hope he has a good agent.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson is a superbly talented player on the ball. And works very hard off it. He'd suit playing for a team like Brentford more than he suits us. He needs players that are like him around him, not the likes of a Fam. 

It's no coincidence he looked sensational when up top with Bobby, and didn't look so good when Fam can back into the team.

Sensational is an exaggeration.

He shows up for about 8-10 games throughout the season. Hope he's back for no other reason than to be a sub player. 

Guess Szmodics must be leaving on loan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I doubt a player that does a lot for the team would have been allowed to go out on loan for the season to a Championship rival do you?

 

I was talking about O'Dowda.

Paterson, well in the right team like when Diedhiou was out and he played up top with Reid, he was consistently brilliant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I was talking about O'Dowda.

Paterson, well in the right team like when Diedhiou was out and he played up top with Reid, he was consistently brilliant.

Yep- that was a great combination- really worked well.

Paterson's best and perhaps only ideal position is a 10...if not a 10, well you may as well not play him, certainly as a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

‘ sensational ‘ ? 

Pato is not consistent enough , constantly flatters to deceive .

He has the skill but is missing something from his make up that would make him a nailed on starter for most Championship clubs and, dare I say it , even at Prem level .

He will find himself going down the divisions to get regular game time .

I hope he has a good agent.

 

25 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Sensational is an exaggeration.

He shows up for about 8-10 games throughout the season. Hope he's back for no other reason than to be a sub player. 

Guess Szmodics must be leaving on loan. 

I said sensational when he was up top with Bobby. Not sure why you've both decided I meant he is always sensational! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson is a superbly talented player on the ball. And works very hard off it. He'd suit playing for a team like Brentford more than he suits us. He needs players that are like him around him, not the likes of a Fam. 

It's no coincidence he looked sensational when up top with Bobby, and didn't look so good when Fam can back into the team.

... and therein lies part of our problem. 

We have the likes of Bakes, Palmer and Fammy who are slow and ponderous. A few medium pacers like Kalas, Then a load of ‘busy bees’. 

So half the team are slow-mo, the other half frenetic. One part closes down, the other part provides opposition time and space. 

What is our ‘identity’? What are we trying to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

 

I said sensational when he was up top with Bobby. Not sure why you've both decided I meant he is always sensational! 😂

I fully understood you only meant alongside Bobby.

Was he really sensational though? Don't seem to remember him getting loads of goals and assists which I'd expect of someone being called sensational. I remember him having a few good games, not sensational for 3 months though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep- that was a great combination- really worked well.

Paterson's best and perhaps only ideal position is a 10...if not a 10, well you may as well not play him, certainly as a starter.

For me he can play 10, or a narrow wide player or even a bit deeper like he did plenty of times last season. 

The key thing wherever he plays is to have ballers in the side, players he can pass to, knowing he will get it back. Teams that have lots of possession and where he will get lots of touches. 

He doesn't suit the way we have played for the last couple of seasons. I feel sorry for players that are picked together that don't suit each other and play badly as a result.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was surely one of the players that LJ thought was 'coasting' hence his loan to Derby. He was unable to break into their team consistently so he's going to have to show LJ a lot to get into ours. He can be creative but can also be anonymous. Not convinced he will get much game time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

IMHO he's got more end product, effect on a game than COD.

Now if that ain't 'damned with feint praise' I don't know what is?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On his day, which isn’t that often he’s pretty good. On the other hand when he’s bad he’s a liability. His performance against Ipswich at home last season was one of the worst I’ve seen from a player wearing a city shirt. Unless he pulls his socks up he might as well stay at Derby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

For me he can play 10, or a narrow wide player or even a bit deeper like he did plenty of times last season. 

The key thing wherever he plays is to have ballers in the side, players he can pass to, knowing he will get it back. Teams that have lots of possession and where he will get lots of touches. 

He doesn't suit the way we have played for the last couple of seasons. I feel sorry for players that are picked together that don't suit each other and play badly as a result.

Not so sure about a bit deeper and the overall functioning of the team, but agree about narrow wide.

Agreed on that- in the same way that Palmer-Diedhiou doesn't work, nor did Paterson-Diedhiou really- it's just not a good fit and yet it's not their fault.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better than Odowda - he needs selling - Smodizc (sic) who knows if he's any good or not, likely not judging by his game time.

Who was that Hakeem chap we bought? What's he doing? The only thing I've seen of him is his poster in the sports bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Won’t be able to reloan/sell in January as he played vs Leeds so Jamie fully back in the fray.

As he played against Leeds, he cannot be sold in January? That’s a new one on me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I fully understood you only meant alongside Bobby.

Was he really sensational though? Don't seem to remember him getting loads of goals and assists which I'd expect of someone being called sensational. I remember him having a few good games, not sensational for 3 months though. 

Ahh fair enough. Well I thought he was very very good. I'm not really fussed who scores when we are winning and playing that kind of football.

I don't think we have ever managed to get the best out of Pato consistently over a season. And i don't really think he has ever lacked effort. I just think LJ likes many different types that don't all suit each other.

Also remember that high press. Pato absolutely worked his socks off up there with Bobby.

It's why Palmer looks awful when Diedhiou plays. I don't even blame Palmer for it.

Edited by JonDolman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I fully understood you only meant alongside Bobby.

Was he really sensational though? Don't seem to remember him getting loads of goals and assists which I'd expect of someone being called sensational. I remember him having a few good games, not sensational for 3 months though. 

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell- was something like that anyway, over a certain period it was either a goal or an assist per game on average.

I still wonder if being taken off v Wolves when Fielding got the red didn't help- never quite the same player after that, though he got a bug/virus something too around that time?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Who was that Hakeem chap we bought? What's he doing? The only thing I've seen of him is his poster in the sports bar. 

Hakeeb Adelukan 

Playing for the under 23s as we speak 

Way too early to write off Szmodics. Look how long it took Moore to break into first team plans. 

Not every recruit is made with a view to immediate first team football. Sometimes you will sign a promising player knowing it could be a couple of years before they’re at the level they need to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

As he played against Leeds, he cannot be sold in January? That’s a new one on me!

Can't play for more than 2 clubs in the same season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell. 

I still wonder if being taken off v Wolves when Fielding got the red didn't help- never quite the same player after that, though he got a bug/virus something too around that time?

The moment that defined our season. I’m adamant that had we beaten wolves that night - as we could and should have done - the season would have panned out quite differently. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The moment that defined our season. I’m adamant that had we beaten wolves that night - as we could and should have done - the season would have panned out quite differently. 

Surely a playoff place tbh. Unsure about top 2 but definitely top 6.

Yep, was a defining moment indeed- may have been more than I thought, a win vs Wolves would have dragged them back into the pack as well and a new layer of pressure...not just from us but from those beneath who suddenly see them dropping 5 points post Christmas in a week and teams below gaining ground.

Teams then to play on Monday, Wolves not until Tuesday- results go against, quite a young team, new manager- lot of them foreign to UK football...yeah that can slide.

11 points though, having won at AG- such a tough game- in the last minute, stayed in it at 1-0 down to 10, and stepped it up at 10 v 10...the confidence boost is massive and that suddenly has you with one foot in the PL.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay he was sensational for a month- think he got 6 assists or goals in a 6 game spell. 

I still wonder if being taken off v Wolves when Fielding got the red didn't help- never quite the same player after that, though he got a bug/virus something too around that time?

Forgot about the virus. Was so good up till then and seemed to take a long time to come back from that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

He shows up for about 8-10 games throughout the season.

That many? I was hoping he'd do OK at Derby so that we could sell him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of competition for Palmer perhaps, but doesn't really seem like a priority overall.

However, he did IIRC have a reasonable 2nd half or 6 months of the season last year- could be a useful option to have.

Just checked. 4 goals and 4 assists from Ipswich away to the end...1 goal and no assists from the start of the season to Leeds away.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so sure about a bit deeper and the overall functioning of the team, but agree about narrow wide.

Agreed on that- in the same way that Palmer-Diedhiou doesn't work, nor did Paterson-Diedhiou really- it's just not a good fit and yet it's not their fault.

Pato did play a deeper role quite a lot last season. Still doesn't work though when you have Fam up top, and any general lack of movement ahead of him.

Really was superb in the QPR game where he chipped it over to Eliasson to score. Interestingly LJ had moved Pato alongside Brownhill in a midfield 2, taking Pack off. 

"We needed players who were natural playing forward, being brave in the spaces. I dropped Pato into centre midfield and was saw a great setup for the goal, a great bit of skill to flick the ball to Eliasson"

There was a fairly decent run of games after Xmas earlier this year where most on here were saying how great Pato was playing. I think LJ had even said that he'd only just really got over that virus. 

There is plenty of competition in those attacking areas, but very little in the striker positions. So I'm not really sure where Pato fits in if we decide to keep him.

I wonder about up top with Weimann. Pato at least has the work rate Palmer doesn't. Very lightweight pair though.

If we build a brilliant passing midfield and defence behind that forward line, especially with Dasilva coming back and offering so much on that left side, I wonder if a lack of physique up top can be less of a problem.

His return certainly doesn't make picking a side any easier and it's already hard enough!

Edited by JonDolman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the bench from Saturday....19 Niclas Eliasson, 7 Korey Smith, 42 Han-Noah Massengo, 31 Rodri, 33 Niki Mäenpää, 45 Kasey Palmer, 18 Antoine Semenyo. Who misses out?
Not sure we need someone to run in circles then disappear though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was strange loaning Pato out in the first place. We brought in Szmodics to play in that role, but he’s not played above the fourth tier. It hasn’t worked and doesn’t look working anytime soon from what I have seen of the lad. 
 

Bring Pato back and loan out Szmodics to play regularly would be the sensible option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...