Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol Rob

Jacki

Recommended Posts

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

  • Like 8
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Polish Lee Tomlin?

Timing is so vital with these players. A different era and not outstaying his welcome. A lack of expectation, a lack of quality, and a lack of entertainment options all help make the mavericks of that era stand out. 

If Tomlin never signed permanently I wonder if he'd be talked about in a similar sense. Is Kasey Palmer the next one? If you flash talent and aren't consistent you end up on the bench not in folklore in modern football.

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be friends with an ex director of the day, and this is  obviously before forums and stats, as such, and he pointed out to me that the win rate with Jacki in the team was something ridiculously low compared to when he didn't play. A gifted player for sure, especially in those dark days, but gifted players such as him, JET, Tomlin, Trundle etc have to be used according to the situation you find yourself in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Chances are, his natural talent would have been coached out of him in the modern game.

He would of been turned into a defensive midfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Prinny said:

The Polish Lee Tomlin

Wash your mouth out, Sir.

Polish George Best more like. The most naturally gifted player we've ever had. He could make the ball talk and did the most outrageous and entertaining things when given it (which wasn't enough.)

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton. We were awful and run ragged and he didn't hold back in letting all know of their lack of talent compared to him. Happened most places he went owing to his predilections but our man management of him was woeful.

You confuse his legacy with much of the dross he had to play alongside.

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

Football is supposed to be fun. If you can't enjoy stories like that, you are missing out.

I can honestly say that watching City at home lately is anything but fun😐

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wash your mouth out, Sir.

Hey twas a question not a statement! Important edit!

Thanks for the detailed story. It was just before my time, and yeah I just lump him in with the talented but lazy number 10 trope, so it's good to hear otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

That’s the whole point of a ‘cult’ hero, nobody said he was perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacki does get viewed through Rose tinted spectacles by many City supporters, but there's no denying he was a very skilful player who brought light through the gloom. Of the players I've seen in a City shirt he'd rank as the second most skilful (behind Jantzen Derrick). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

It would be like having admiration for Tomlin I suppose - except no on seems to have that admiration for Tomlin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

The world (of Ashton Gate) was a damp, depressing place back then and exciting players and technical football were hardly prevalent, so any beckon of excitement was celebrated.

Possibly more than it should have been, but the odd glimpse of quality was a treat at the time.

Reading this forum after home games makes it sound like little has changed. :shocking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Wash your mouth out, Sir.

Polish George Best more like. The most naturally gifted player we've ever had. He could make the ball talk and did the most outrageous and entertaining things when given it (which wasn't enough.)

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton. We were awful and run ragged and he didn't hold back in letting all know of their lack of talent compared to him. Happened most places he went owing to his predilections but our man management of him was woeful.

You confuse his legacy with much of the dross he had to play alongside.

I recall the Bountyhunter at the time publishing a bunch of Lonely Hearts ads, one of which was “Polish George Best seeks ball”.

The only thing I’d disagree with on the above is “The likes of Shelton”. I think Gary Shelton was a top notch player for us in the Joe Jordan days and some of Lumsden - undoubtedly on the way down in the Osman era but to dismiss him in that way is a bit out of order IMO

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

I suppose it's a bit like Albert Adomah, who is a good player, but when we were watching such a terrible team and he was our only good player he gets a bit of a cult status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Wash your mouth out, Sir.

Polish George Best more like. The most naturally gifted player we've ever had. He could make the ball talk and did the most outrageous and entertaining things when given it (which wasn't enough.)

Blimey, I knew he was a talented man but thats the first I've heard of ventriloquism.  

(come to think of it, he did sometimes make muppets out of opponents  though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He always has and forever will be for me one of the first players that comes to mind if i'm asked "who are your favourite City players?"

Certainly not the best player nor the greatest servant the clubs had but he was a bit special. I was 15-16 when he signed and I'd never seen such a skillful player turn out for us before.

I'll always remember him. Wouldn't make my Hall of Fame but absolutely worthy of a place in the Cult Heroes Lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Super said:

We could do with him and Cole now.

Andy Cole,yes please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Had many faults but like other players of his ilk lazy wasn't one of them. He's tarred with that brush as ( like Cole at the same time,) he wasn't afraid to let his teammates and fans know that he knew he was miles superior to the rest of them. They both were. He'd play balls, or look to play balls, only to discover his teammates were years behind in thinking and movement. And he'd let them know. 

You confuse his legacy with much of the dross he had to play alongside.

Very similar to a young Gerry Gow.

I remember when young GG first broke in to the first team; he would play fantastic balls in to space, nobody would foresee his defence-splitting pass and the ball would run loose leading to derision from both crowd and teammates alike.

Fortunately for us all, GG persisted and, as the years went by, his teamates rose to his level of play, much to our combined enjoyment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very similar to a young Gerry Gow.

I remember when young GG first broke in to the first team; he would play fantastic balls in to space, nobody would foresee his defence-splitting pass and the ball would run loose leading to derision from both crowd and teammates alike.

Fortunately for us all, GG persisted and, as the years went by, his teamates rose to his level of play, much to our combined enjoyment. 

Gerry Gow he’s here he’s there he’s every f%-+&g where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow.  What a legend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

A Tricky but Lazy Player!!!?  Well done, you have managed to descend into cliche.  He was NOT lazy.  Have you no pheckin romance in your soul?  I was at Leicester, and I was in the Stand for the Wolves game, Jacki was a star, and one of the best footballers to ever play for City.  He had plenty of faults, but then all players of his ilk do, it just goes with the territory.  I will always hold him in the highest regard, he lit up Ashton Gate during a boring season, and remains a standout ex player who should be appreciated for his qualitys.........."Tricky but Lazy" Ha!  That says a lot more about you, than him!   John Motson's quote on MOTD says it all   "Just not from another country, but from another planet"  I am loathe to use the word genius, but he was certainly exceptional, and a class act. 😍

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Recall one evening standing with him on the terrace after he'd been dropped in favour of the likes of Shelton.

'the likes of Shelton', you take that back immediately!

As Rob said, Jacki was the brightest of shining lights at that time and worth every penny it cost to get in. As with all threads about Jacki the flick against Ipswich deserves a mention. One of the most outrageous pieces of skill I've seen at the Gate

The Wolves game, I lost my car keys in the East End that night, got let back in with my mates to have a search about 30 mins after the game finished. Remember just having a moment looking out on the pitch, once the keys had been located, and taking in what we'd just witnessed. A win against Wolves back then was rarer than it is today

Great memories

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will always remember the away FA Cup game at Leicester. Possibly the coldest I've ever been at a football game with snow and ice around but the excitement made up for it. Jackie and Junior tore them a new one and Osman was immense in defence 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get some people. Football is an entertainment business. A sport we all talk about.

Players such as Jacki, Lee Trundle, JET & to a lesser extent Lee Tomlin we were very lucky to have them play for us. They should be revered. Some of my best memories of watching Bristol City involved these players. Yes they may not have fitted in completely with everyone's idea of a team player but they had talent in abundance whether it is Trunds cutting inside and curling one in or JET's walking penalties or Tomlin flicking the ball over a defender before volleying in or Jacki's mesmeric skills with the ball.

In my opinion Trunds more than paid for his transfer fee with his goals in that 2008 season.

With Tomlin no one could argue with his talents on the pitch when he was on his game.

Watching clips of JET and you realise what an amazingly gifted and talented footballer he was. The way he would waltz past defenders and the lethal shot. His penalty taking took laid back to another level and I've seen someone on TV copying that style recently. I stand corrected but I think his time with us was his most successful.

Jacki was just too good for the rest of team around him with the exception of Andy Cole. My memory is a little hazy but I do believe Osman preferred a more workmanlike approach & saw to it that his time here was cut short. When you think of both players its fair to say that I know which of them is held in high regard.

Its players like these that put "bums on seats"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Swede said:

I don't get some people. Football is an entertainment business. A sport we all talk about.

Players such as Jacki, Lee Trundle, JET & to a lesser extent Lee Tomlin we were very lucky to have them play for us. They should be revered. Some of my best memories of watching Bristol City involved these players. Yes they may not have fitted in completely with everyone's idea of a team player but they had talent in abundance whether it is Trunds cutting inside and curling one in or JET's walking penalties or Tomlin flicking the ball over a defender before volleying in or Jacki's mesmeric skills with the ball.

In my opinion Trunds more than paid for his transfer fee with his goals in that 2008 season.

With Tomlin no one could argue with his talents on the pitch when he was on his game.

Watching clips of JET and you realise what an amazingly gifted and talented footballer he was. The way he would waltz past defenders and the lethal shot. His penalty taking took laid back to another level and I've seen someone on TV copying that style recently. I stand corrected but I think his time with us was his most successful.

Jacki was just too good for the rest of team around him with the exception of Andy Cole. My memory is a little hazy but I do believe Osman preferred a more workmanlike approach & saw to it that his time here was cut short. When you think of both players its fair to say that I know which of them is held in high regard.

Its players like these that put "bums on seats"

And an instant smile on my face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

second most skilful (behind Jantzen Derrick).

Now he was one hell of a player and his hair - magnificent.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The only thing I’d disagree with on the above is “The likes of Shelton”. I think Gary Shelton was a top notch player for us 

I didn't mean to do Shelts down, as you say he did better than OK for us but what I meant was Shelts, like Tainton before and dozens after was a 'space filler'. He won it a bit, closed folks down but had little creativity. He was a Dacia to Jacki's Lexus which made it all the more frustrating when mansgers thought him superior.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

Thats a shame . I agree with what you posted . He was box office. Technically very gifted . Lived the life . Lit up Ashton gate . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My god, what I would do to see a bit of Jacki play in this team and light up the games at home because the last 2 years of home games have been dreary to say the least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

True, but his exploits off the pitch were legendary 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

True, but his exploits off the pitch were legendary 

Yep.....saw him at least twice falling out of the Ádám and Eve pub at the bottom of Hope Chapel Hill. Could barely walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I didn't mean to do Shelts down, as you say he did better than OK for us but what I meant was Shelts, like Tainton before and dozens after was a 'space filler'. He won it a bit, closed folks down but had little creativity. He was a Dacia to Jacki's Lexus which made it all the more frustrating when mansgers thought him superior.....

What id give for a modern Shelts running the midfield for us right now. Can’t think of many goal scoring central midfielders since him. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep.....saw him at least twice falling out of the Ádám and Eve pub at the bottom of Hope Chapel Hill. Could barely walk.

Having 'staggered' out of that boozer many a time in my youth who am I to comment?

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Having 'staggered' out of that boozer many a time in my youth who am I comment?

But I doubt you were a professional footballer........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Prinny said:

The Polish Lee Tomlin?

So, so, so much more that that ... against Ipswich he ran between two defenders, left the ball behind him then flicked it over his head and continued his run leaving both defenders dumbfounded and lost - after the game I bumped into a few Ipswich fans quaffing ales in King Street and they were waxing lyrical at that demonstration of pure skill ... they couldn’t believe Jacki had the temerity to attempt that, and carry it off, in the midst of a proper game ... he was special 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

Easy to dismiss the very few genius players who’ve represented our club - but they still get talked about decades after they leave in direct contrast to the solid, run of the mill, faceless, unrecognised workhorses, who are still valuable, but aren’t memorable in the way Jacki was - what a privilege to watch that guy play football in our shirt ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Easy to dismiss the very few genius players who’ve represented our club - but they still get talked about decades after they leave in direct contrast to the solid, run of the mill, faceless, unrecognised workhorses, who are still valuable, but aren’t memorable in the way Jacki was - what a privilege to watch that guy play football in our shirt ...

My memory of Jacki was that he was very gifted but certainly not a team player.  
Russel Osman summed him up after he’d left him out when he said  “a few tricks and a 30yd shot is not enough”

There are two players that I remember very fondly, Gerry Gow ( of course) and more recently Scot Murray particularly in his 20 goal season. Both terrific players who excited me and the crowd every time they had the ball. 

To me Jacki was a show pony and whilst I smiled seeing his tricks and flicks he never impressed me in the same was as GG had or SM did a few seasons later.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Robbored said:

A trip down memory lane but I’ve never understood the admiration some fans have for Jacki.

To me he was a tricky but lazy player who managed a whopping 7 goals during his time at City.

Omg what a complete arse you really are

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, redstu said:

Omg what a complete arse you really are

Because I have a different opinion to you?.............

This is a forum - it’s about opinions............:cool2:

I can see you’re a newbie so here’s a tip - try not to react in an abrasive or hostile manner when you read a comment that you don’t agree with. It’s not good for you.
 

 

Edited by Robbored

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Because I have a different opinion to you?.............

This is a forum - it’s about opinions............:cool2:

I can see you’re a newbie so here’s a tip - try not to react in an abrasive or hostile manner when you read a comment that you don’t agree with. It’s not good for you.
 

 

Newbie ! I have been on here as long as I can remember I just choose not to comment, however when I see such a brain dead comment about the most gifted and entertaining player ever to grace the gate then I have to say something, I do find some of your wind up comments quite amusing sometimes but am now of the opinion of most on here that you sir are a **** 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacki and Andy Cole were two of the most talented ever playing for City.

But the downside was work ethic was poor. I remember a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle when both did absolutely nothing and might as well have gone to the pub for the afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...