IGNORED

Pace.......and our lack of it.

CityCiderEd

21 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Without Afobe we have no one with genuine pace to trouble teams with the way we play. Not once tonight did any of our players go past their marker and leave them yards behind. Without some decent pace in the side we will continue to find it hard to break sides down.

This plus physical strength. 
We have too many of our manager’s traits in our players - little powder puff players. 
We desperately need some big physical players to allow us to take a stranglehold on games like tonight. Too soft, too slow all round the pitch. 

16 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Without Afobe we have no one with genuine pace to trouble teams with the way we play. Not once tonight did any of our players go past their marker and leave them yards behind. Without some decent pace in the side we will continue to find it hard to break sides down.

Players with zip, dribbling skills and the ability to fizz in good crosses seem to be a dying breed.

It's all too slow-paced, tippy-tappy, sideways and backwards nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Players with zip, dribbling skills and the ability to fizz in good crosses seem to be a dying breed.

It's all too slow-paced, tippy-tappy, sideways and backwards nowadays.

Modern game isn't it- and I disagree with passing football necessarily being slow-paced, tippy-tappy, sideways etc- problem is for whatever reason, either due to our players and their execution of it, the gameplan set out by LJ to achieve it or both- well we're not so good at it!

We have pace in O'Dowda. But I guess no one likes him. People having a go at him all first half on here for barely doing a thing wrong whilst they attacked the other side of the pitch. 

What I believe is we had a very defensive formation, trying to play a passing expansive game.

The whole tactics were wrong. I don't get the over the top comments about nearly every player that played. Get the tactics right, and we might have drew or won that game. 

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We have pace in O'Dowda. But I guess no one likes him. People having a go at him all first half on here for barely doing a thing wrong whilst they attacked the other side of the pitch. 

What I believe is we had a very defensive formation, trying to play a passing expansive game.

The whole tactics were wrong. I don't get the over the top comments about nearly every player that played. Get the tactics right, and we might have drew or won that game. 

Back to agreeing with you. O'Dowda is one of, if not the fastest player at the club and his best position is LW or RW cutting in onto his left. I believe the way LJ sets up does no favours for either COD or Eliasson. I've said it before, stick em both on the flanks and let them play to their strengths 

32 minutes ago, Brooko said:

Back to agreeing with you. O'Dowda is one of, if not the fastest player at the club and his best position is LW or RW cutting in onto his left. I believe the way LJ sets up does no favours for either COD or Eliasson. I've said it before, stick em both on the flanks and let them play to their strengths 

Quite right, couldn't believe the slating of O'Dowda last night who was playing out of position yet again. 

He has been slated recently for his performances, yet when was the last time he actually played in his best position? Yes he has been pretty awful, but hasn't really been given a proper chance of it at all by not having played in his actual position since the start of the season. 

On 27/11/2019 at 23:09, CityCiderEd said:

Oh come on, LJ has only been in the job a few years. Give him time to find someone. 

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Is he though?

According to a couple of Newport County fans I was chatting to recently. They said that AS was the quickest player in their squad. They both wondered why he’s not getting starts for City.

I told them that in the few sub appearances he’s had he hasn’t exactly impressed........

We actually have a lot of players with pace in our team, however the problem is we have no one who can use it effectively. Bar Eliasson nobody runs at the defense and takes a player on. These are the types of players that get the crowd going and produce excitement which in turn leads to atmosphere. This current team and boring style of play probably has a big part to play in the lack of atmosphere at the gate this year #Library . Fans are happy to grind out games and play boring football when you're producing results but when the 3 points stop coming in the fan base turn quite quickly! 

Every week I see us play 10 or 12 sideways passes in our own half, then we eventually get closed down and somebody has to hit it long.

As we get towards the end of the 12 pass sequence our chances of losing the ball goes up as our movement off the ball is so bad and we move the ball so slowly.

Why can't we just a few times hit an early long ball when we are not under pressure and have our forwards running in behind their line. If the ball is well hit, 50% of the time we gain possession or get a throw in. 

At least this breaks up the opposition press. We are so predictable and without a player who can beat his man and upset the oppositions defensive line or intelligent players making runs into space we keep playing further and further down a blind alley.

So often in recent games we see teams break on us with real speed and intent.

When we get a decent break it is rare to have more than 3 of our players close enough to provide meaningful support.

I think LJ is too nervous to tell our team to be really positive particularly at home. This destroys confidence, frustrates the fans and means 1 mistake will lose us the game.

To some extent I can understand this because we are so weak up front.

I have the feeling that the fans would appreciate a real have a go approach against Huddersfield with the players being given the chance to really express themselves. So what if we lose 0.1 we have to break out of the negativity and provide some excitement to get the crowd going

21 hours ago, Brooko said:

With COD its about confidence, we see occasionally that when he opens up, taking back players on and hitting the by line to cut back or cross, that he has the ability. Just needs to lift his mindset.

Archived