Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

miloemily

Massengo

I have just read an article on Massengo in the daily mail by the secret scout. Got me thinking as it is positive that someone might take a gamble and buy him in January and loan back to  is for the rest of the season. If this was the case what would be an acceptable transfer fee? 15m? More?

Any potential purchaser would be buying Massengo’s potential. He’s still very slight as many lads are at 18 but when beefs up he could develop into quite an asset for City.

Give him another 3 or 4 years of physical and mental growth and he’ll become quite some player. No reason why he can’t achieve that whilst at City.

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We bought him for around that

No we didn't.  (and neither did Chelsea before that one rears its head again....!)

Was about £2-3m plus add ons I think. 

But as others have said, anyone taking a punt wouldn't be buying the player he is, but the player he will be.  Worth remembering though that he came here to play games.  He's already left a big club for that reason....I can't see him going to another one so soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miloemily said:

I have just read an article on Massengo in the daily mail by the secret scout. Got me thinking as it is positive that someone might take a gamble and buy him in January and loan back to  is for the rest of the season. If this was the case what would be an acceptable transfer fee? 15m? More?

So you read an article about him and then you thought that someone might buy him in January and loan him back to his us.

Wow man, that’s some imagination, what type of shirt  you been smoking?

Hopefully stays with us for another season at least. Swear I read somewhere that his old man doesn’t wish for him to move just yet & instead wants him to stay with us for a bit longer so he continues to play. 

Next season he’d qualify as our club developed player in the 18 as well. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swanker said:

So you read an article about him and then you thought that someone might buy him in January and loan him back to his us.

Did he shag your Mrs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Any potential purchaser would be buying Massengo’s potential. He’s still very slight as many lads are at 18 but when beefs up he could develop into quite an asset for City.

Give him another 3 or 4 years of physical and mental growth and he’ll become quite some player. No reason why he can’t achieve that whilst at City.

Agree with all of that, although I can't see him staying with us. We always end up offloading our best talent

6 minutes ago, Brooko said:

Hate to disappoint you but he already part owned  by Chelsea!

Not according to LJ. 

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, swanker said:

Who sh*t in your cornflakes this morning?

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't think he's worth anything like that yet tbh. Maybe 8

Worth £8m?! Are you crazy?

Look how good he is at 18.  The potential is absolutely massive.  Clubs pay for potential.  He’s worth at least £15m but probably £20m+

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Ben Sherman...?!!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Last weeks performance against Blackburn  only 5 mill. He’s young and of light build but we all know he has skill. Potential for the future is a yes but not this season. City need to keep him but he’s not what we need to get promotion this season. 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Shirt ? 
What type of shit you smokin’ bro ?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Look how good he is at 18.  The potential is absolutely massive.  Clubs pay for potential.  He’s worth at least £15m but probably £20m+

Why am I reminded of the beard buying scene in LOB . 

inside the actors studio beard GIF

are there any women present ? 

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

No we didn't.  (and neither did Chelsea before that one rears its head again....!)

Was about £2-3m plus add ons I think. 

But as others have said, anyone taking a punt wouldn't be buying the player he is, but the player he will be.  Worth remembering though that he came here to play games.  He's already left a big club for that reason....I can't see him going to another one so soon.

Yeah you’re right but it’s rising to 8 mill so it would be pointless selling with not really any profit

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Clubs signing him aren't paying for his current ability, they're paying for maybe 15 years of potential. If we sold him it would be for a huge amount, assuming he doesn't have any transfer clauses in his account. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Beat me to it - people seem to think it's like Fifa where you buy players based on their current ability 'score' - really basic way of thinking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Clubs signing him aren't paying for his current ability, they're paying for maybe 15 years of potential. If we sold him it would be for a huge amount, assuming he doesn't have any transfer clauses in his account. 

Yea but you have to take into account loads of other things like current market value for that position, contract length and wages. Some mentioning 30m on here and that is just fantasy putting too much emphasis on potential. We aren’t going to get the fee Leicester got for Kante for Massengo.
He at the moment is a high energy win the ball back and play quick short pass midfielder. Possibly he can grow to more but the value for these types is not high. He is harder to value than anyone we have had before because of his pedigree but I am not sure we will be selling Massengo for more than 12-15m in the next two windows. If he stays and can dominate games for us through next season think his valuation can rise tremendously but at the moment most of his value is in potential and that will only take a fee so high. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea but you have to take into account loads of other things like current market value for that position, contract length and wages. Some mentioning 30m on here and that is just fantasy putting too much emphasis on potential. We aren’t going to get the fee Leicester got for Kante for Massengo.
He at the moment is a high energy win the ball back and play quick short pass midfielder. Possibly he can grow to more but the value for these types is not high. He is harder to value than anyone we have had before because of his pedigree but I am not sure we will be selling Massengo for more than 12-15m in the next two windows. If he stays and can dominate games for us through next season think his valuation can rise tremendously but at the moment most of his value is in potential and that will only take a fee so high. 

Kante left Leicester a few years ago. The market keeps going up. Kante is no better now than then but would be worth double nowadays. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Kante left Leicester a few years ago. The market keeps going up. Kante is no better now than then but would be worth double nowadays. 

There are still values recently that suggest the price for these type of midfielders is not massive. Fabinho 45m Rodri 65m but that was release clause with a well of club. Llorente an established pro 35m this summer to Atletico from Real. So the 30m to me is still well OTT.

Massengo would be bought almost exclusively with potential in mind. It is like the difference bewteen Webster and Kelly. Webster much more established player while Kelly has high potential. Similar positions but 5-7m difference in valuations. Massengo hasn’t played enough to be a 20m player imo. Which is good for us because it means he will stay longer. 

5 hours ago, Brooko said:

Hate to disappoint you but he already part owned  by Chelsea!

Well that seems to break all the rules around player ownership, so you had better be able produce some decent proof of this before spouting it on a public forum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that seems to break all the rules around player ownership, so you had better be able produce some decent proof of this before spouting it on a public forum.

Though, I'm not fully up to speed on these rules.

I don't go in for the Massengo story, but I know that in Serie A and in some other notable cases- Samuel Eto'o in the [past in La Liga, this seems to happen- is it outlawed in English football?

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Though, I'm not fully up to speed on these rules.

I don't go in for the Massengo story, but I know that in Serie A and in some other notable cases- Samuel Eto'o in the [past in La Liga, this seems to happen- is it outlawed in English football?

I was under the impression that a player could not have 3rd party owners due to modern slavery laws, is this not the case?

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I was under the impression that a player could not have 3rd party owners due to modern slavery laws, is this not the case?

Ah 3rd party, maybe I'm out of touch with it tbh. Just know that there's dual ownership or has been in Serie A, but maybe it's different here. Maybe my view is outdated!

I think it's where Club A owns 50% of a players rights and Club B 50%.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah 3rd party, maybe I'm out of touch with it tbh. Just know that there's dual ownership or has been in Serie A, but maybe it's different here. Maybe my view is outdated!

I think it's where Club A owns 50% of a players rights and Club B 50%.

Apparently no longer allowed in Italy, it’s not 3rd party though, it’s co ownership.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-ownership_(association_football)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Apparently no longer allowed in Italy, it’s not 3rd party though, it’s co ownership.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-ownership_(association_football)

Thanks- that clears that up.

Never say never, but I think it's therefore- ie confirming it- fair to say that Massengo quite likely isn't partially owned by Chelsea!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Source please?........or have you been chatting to him down the pub?

"The conspiracy theories being circulated on social media regarding City being a holding destination for another English club have been dismissed as "ridiculous" by sources in France.

Firstly, it would be highly illegal with City a club who, sometimes to their detriment, are straight shooters in the transfer market and, secondly, Massengo's talents have been known for at least two years so the concept of a club deliberately buying him for in excess of £10m one or two years down the line simply doesn't make financial sense"

From Bristol Post.

Not a quote from LJ here. Though I'm pretty sure he has also dismissed it as the nonsense it so obviously is.

The fact it's against the rules here to have co-ownership of a player should be the first hint.

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Claims he isn't but I'm pretty sure Brooko is O'Dowdas dad. Look through posting history!

Either he's on the wind up based on the rumours in the summer, or he genuinely knows something we dont!

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Claims he isn't but I'm pretty sure Brooko is O'Dowdas dad. Look through posting history!

Either he's on the wind up based on the rumours in the summer, or he genuinely knows something we dont!

We’ll see, as I have shown in my subsequent posts, it would appear that co ownership is illegal in Europe, would we seriously flout the rules that way? 

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

Current value would be about 4M but any club wanting him would have to pay upwards of 25M

Call me old fashoined but I always thought value and the price paid for things were a bit more closely linked than that. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We’ll see, as I have shown in my subsequent posts, it would appear that co ownership is illegal in Europe, would we seriously flout the rules that way? 

No we wouldnt.

However an option to buy/first refusal is entirely legal.