IGNORED

PATO RETURNS

FrozenRobin

He struggles to hold down a place at Championship clubs and I think there are reasons for that. Probably, inconsistency and lack of physicality would be two, and also he is another player (City love signing them) who doesn't have a natural position. Winger/10/centre mid? Not quite convincing in any role, despite his decent overall ability.

He's probably good enough for our 18 to be fair but my worry is that he's yet another "club in the bag", if you like, and will just add to the bloat of the squad.  Eliasson, Palmer, Watkins, O'Dowda, Patterson.  That's 5 players vying for the same places in the team.  One of them probably needs to go if LJ sticks to his word about trimming the squad down.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

He struggles to hold down a place at Championship clubs and I think there are reasons for that. Probably, inconsistency and lack of physicality would be two, and also he is another player (City love signing them) who doesn't have a natural position. Winger/10/centre mid? Not quite convincing in any role, despite his decent overall ability.

Last chance saloon imho.  Rejected by us earlier this season, now Derby.  Time to kick-start his career.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Last chance saloon imho.  Rejected by us earlier this season, now Derby.  Time to kick-start his career.

Definitely. Who would you say he's competing with? Watkins? Maybe Eliasson gets home games and Pato tougher away assignments?

I think his best chance was to attempt to emulate Bobby Reid as a workaholic but skilful forward, but I don't think he has the same drive that Reid and Weimann have.

I have against Paterson - although I am not convinced he is anywhere near consistent enough - but my major concern is his return makes the squad bigger when LJ keeps saying he needs it smaller.

We now have Eliasson, COD, Palmer, Paterson, Szmodics, Weimann, Semenyo and Watkins plus possibly someone I think I have forgotten competing for two or three spots in the team, and Brownhill can also fill in one of those slots when needed. Really we need to move two or even three players out for a sensible squad size. For me, I would be fine with Paterson moving on with Semenyo and Szmodics moving on loan but we really do need to trim the squad. I think Palmer and Paterson are, whilst different players, much of a muchness in that they are great on their day but their day comes around far too rarely.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Definitely. Who would you say he's competing with? Watkins? Maybe Eliasson gets home games and Pato tougher away assignments?

I think his best chance was to attempt to emulate Bobby Reid as a workaholic but skilful forward, but I don't think he has the same drive that Reid and Weimann have.

Good question.  He’s best as a no10, but....

....I’d like Lee to persevere with yesterday’s 442, and players be told (in the main) here’s your position, here’s who you’re in competition with, I’m not gonna pick you out of pisition just to play you....up to you to earn / win your spot.  I know it’s not as black and white as that, but that should be the principle.  Injuries might not always make that possible either.

As such, to answer your Q, he’s my LW in competition with Eliasson.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had a quick look on Twitter and Derby fans seemed disappointed it wasn't Dowell going first.

Wouldn't be in my side but if he starts, then it's as a 10 or not at all IMO. 

Dowell really hasn’t kicked on from his Forest loan....wasn’t great at Sheffield Utd imho.

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I have against Paterson - although I am not convinced he is anywhere near consistent enough - but my major concern is his return makes the squad bigger when LJ keeps saying he needs it smaller.

We now have Eliasson, COD, Palmer, Paterson, Szmodics, Weimann, Semenyo and Watkins plus possibly someone I think I have forgotten competing for two or three spots in the team, and Brownhill can also fill in one of those slots when needed. Really we need to move two or even three players out for a sensible squad size. 

Add in two more. 

Hakeeb Adelakun - 23 now. Is he injured? Out of contract Summer 2021 but just never mentioned. Must surely go on loan as what else is the point of him. 

Tyreeq Bakinson reportedly at Plymouth yesterday and about to sign on loan

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Good player, under rated/scapegoated by some on here. Should never have been let out on loan. 

Flatters to deceive imo. Runs into trouble too much and delivers a game changing performance 1game in 20 at a guess. Fills spaces defensively but doesn’t really do a defensive job. Another player that doesn’t fill the “physicality “ option that LJ  has been talking about , especially down the left with jay. Also couldn't get into a struggling derby side consistently . He likes a step over though so he must be mint. ? frustrating player. LJ will say the right things but personally think he’ll be gone in the summer. 

Pato is an honest player. Has a good game in every 10. Will be an excellent signing for progressive Div 1 team.
But he is not the answer if play offs are a serious attempt for us. Backward step trying to reintroduce him into 1st 11 in my opinion and as others have stated, could join the long list of players who will be gone at the end of the season.

A major clearout is fast approaching at City.

21 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Add in two more. 

Hakeeb Adelakun - 23 now. Is he injured? Out of contract Summer 2021 but just never mentioned. Must surely go on loan as what else is the point of him. 

Tyreeq Bakinson reportedly at Plymouth yesterday and about to sign on loan

And supposedly a French lad we're trying to sign (definitely doesn't appear to be a striker!)

It seems that absence really does make the heart grow fonder in some cases.

He was going through the motions in his recent time here and if his attitude has changed for the good he'll be a welcome addition. But if he's the same as he was before then its just another wage to pay.

Archived