Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Never to the dark side

FA Cup 4th Round Draw: City or Shrewsbury v Liverpool (Live on BBC1)

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jimmy Mann 85 yarder past Shilton? 👀

I remember that well. I thought we lost 3-1 on the day, but it was 40 odd years ago so who knows. I do know my brothers mate was behind the schoolboys enclosure hunting down an errant 2p piece at the time, and missed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So all those moaning buggers who have been saying how crap the football has been at Ashton Gate will now be desperately scrabbling for tickets, assuming that we get past Shrewsbury!

To watch Liverpool......

Edited by Kibs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So all those moaning buggers who have been saying how crap the football has been at Ashton Gate will now be desperately scrabbling for tickets, assuming that we get past Shrewsbury!

I'm a moaning bugger and ST holder. I wont be going but happy to buy a ticket and sell at face value to a non plastic but I think Liverpool will be going to Shrewsbury next round and not BS3

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 77 punk said:

the f a cup draw puts a lot of pressure on johnson to win the shrewsbury replay

Thanks for that Albert Einstein

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Anyone who goes regularly to watch the crap football at Ashton gate won't have to scramble for a ticket.

But there are some who never go but still moan about the crap football!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Great believer in "chaos theory "  , had we won, we might not have drawn them..........butterfly beats it's wings in Africa, yadda, yadda .

Just had the same conversation here, we would have got something like Hull away had we won on Saturday.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understand the anger towards less regular fans who would want a ticket for such a match. Of course the best club side in the world are going to be a touch more exciting to go and see than Shrewsbury at home and so the demand for tickets will rise accordingly. It’s an occasion, a potentially a huge upset, tinged with history, a free hit and the atmosphere will be amazing. Why wouldn’t anyone with more than a passing interest not want to be there?

It’s like bemoaning that there’s oddly more demand to watch athletics at the Olympics than there is at Yate Outdoor Sports Complex. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a complete aside....

IF (and it's a massive IF) we were to beat Shrewsbury, and the IF we were to get a win against the next side faced in the FA Cup, would the chant...

And it's Bristol City;

Bristol City FC

They're by far, the greatest team, the world has even seen....

ACTUALLY be true?

Meanwhile, my Unicorn needs watering. As you were.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Unicorn 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I never understand the anger towards less regular fans who would want a ticket for such a match. Of course the best club side in the world are going to be a touch more exciting to go and see than Shrewsbury at home and so the demand for tickets will rise accordingly. It’s an occasion, a potentially a huge upset, tinged with history, a free hit and the atmosphere will be amazing. Why wouldn’t anyone with more than a passing interest not want to be there?

It’s like bemoaning that there’s oddly more demand to watch athletics at the Olympics than there is at Yate Outdoor Sports Complex. 

I don't think anyone has an issue with less regular fans trying to get tickets. We all know plenty of people who got to a handful of matches a season but can't commit to an ST. It's more the Bristol-living fans of Liverpool who'll suddenly be asking for tickets that wind people up.

Personally I'd give ST's priority, then anyone with a proof of purchase for Shrewsbury at home, then members, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Great believer in "chaos theory "  , had we won, we might not have drawn them..........butterfly beats it's wings in Africa, yadda, yadda .

 

6 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just had the same conversation here, we would have got something like Hull away had we won on Saturday.

Win or draw against Shrewsbury, we would always have been ball number 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I never understand the anger towards less regular fans who would want a ticket for such a match. Of course the best club side in the world are going to be a touch more exciting to go and see than Shrewsbury at home and so the demand for tickets will rise accordingly. It’s an occasion, a potentially a huge upset, tinged with history, a free hit and the atmosphere will be amazing. Why wouldn’t anyone with more than a passing interest not want to be there?

It’s like bemoaning that there’s oddly more demand to watch athletics at the Olympics than there is at Yate Outdoor Sports Complex. 

It’s the pretence that you’re a city fan that’s wrong. You won’t come and pay to watch city, but you’ll cut off your own testicles to purloin 2 tickets for you and 7 year old Hugo who loves Bath Rugby and Liverpool FC.*

*Hypothetical scenario obviously 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just as a complete aside....

IF (and it's a massive IF) we were to beat Shrewsbury, and the IF we were to get a win against the next side faced in the FA Cup, would the chant...

And it's Bristol City;

Bristol City FC

They're by far, the greatest team, the world has even seen....

ACTUALLY be true?

Meanwhile, my Unicorn needs watering. As you were.

That song has always made me cringe a little inside tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their kids were absolutely superb yesterday, I think people are forgetting that.

IF we beat the Shrews (can't see it at the moment), their kids would still rip us to bits as they did a full strength Everton side.

Will I go? As I don't generally attend FA cup matches, it would be hypocritical to attend so I'll probably let my dad's old mate have my ticket IF we get through and watch it on the tele.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

What happened to success breeds success ? We need something to get our momentum back for a strong finish in the league and this might just be it to get both the team and the fans going.

Does anyone actually believe Klopp would do anything other than let his under 9s rip us a new one If we beat Shrewsbury? I think it might actually put pressure on our players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So all those moaning buggers who have been saying how crap the football has been at Ashton Gate will now be desperately scrabbling for tickets, assuming that we get past Shrewsbury!

If they are SC holders fair play to them as they have been watching said crap after having shelled out hundreds of pounds. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Super said:

From liverpool forum

They’ve lost a few of their better players since then. Saw them earlier in the season and they were shite. They do t really have much creativity or pace. They have a big lump of a centre forward and Ashley Williams at the back. Kasey Palmer once of Chelsea is their most creative player. They do have Andreas Weimann so we’ll have to score two to win though, that ****** always scored against us!

Yes, and last time we had a bloke who only had a left leg!!!!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Their kids were absolutely superb yesterday, I think people are forgetting that.

IF we beat the Shrews (can't see it at the moment), their kids would still rip us to bits as they did a full strength Everton side.

Will I go? As I don't generally attend FA cup matches, it would be hypocritical to attend so I'll probably let my dad's old mate have my ticket IF we get through and watch it on the tele.

Spot on, having watched them outplay a full strength Everton side if we still have LJ setting the tactics (sic) they will run riot against us.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

If they are SC holders fair play to them as they have been watching said crap after having shelled out hundreds of pounds. 

....and more and more of them each season!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sod's law we beat Shrewsbury and give Liverpool a good game on national TV and Johnson sticks around a lot longer than a lot of people would like 

  • Like 2
  • Rovers 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

the f a cup draw puts a lot of pressure on johnson to win the shrewsbury replay

You should come here more often...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think Liverpool will be going to Shrewsbury next round and not BS3

Yes that is the general consensus of this thread and the safest attitude to take. 

However, in the unlikely event we do get through, I'll be there and you wont! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Yes, and last time we had a bloke who only had a left leg!!!!

 

To be fair RT (and I was at all 3 matches in '94), what they've said there is probably correct. Barring a few exceptions, we haven't been very good this season. This isn't a 'beat up Johnson' post BTW, just my honest opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I'm a moaning bugger and ST holder. I wont be going but happy to buy a ticket and sell at face value to a non plastic but I think Liverpool will be going to Shrewsbury next round and not BS3

Unless you can't make it, I think you would be silly to miss the possibility of another "Leeds" or "Liverpool" shock, even if it is unlikely. (assuming we get past Shrewsbury)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Oops said:

It’s the pretence that you’re a city fan that’s wrong. You won’t come and pay to watch city, but you’ll cut off your own testicles to purloin 2 tickets for you and 7 year old Hugo who loves Bath Rugby and Liverpool FC.*

*Hypothetical scenario obviously 

Fair enough, I get that. I think the club do a decent job on the whole of prioritising tickets for non-regulars (myself included) with the membership and games attended taken into account. 
 

*Anyway, my son is called Quentin and we needn’t worry about the Bath tickets as the Nanny’s father has a corporate box 👀

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Does anyone actually believe Klopp would do anything other than let his under 9s rip us a new one If we beat Shrewsbury? I think it might actually put pressure on our players. 

He'll give the kids a rest, and send out Mabel the tea lady, Doris from the canteen and her 2 grandsons Keanu and Taylor, Eric and Trevor from the Kop turnstiles, Stan who used to carry out the metal numbers for the HT scores and still hangs around Anfield for some inexplicable reason, Derek who cleans the team coach, Sandra from the Megastore, Sue who still cleans the reserve team training kit at Melwood and Bob who used to walk up and down the Anfield Road in the 1970s on matchdays wearing a sandwich board reading "The End Is Nigh". The subs will be selected in a random draw from applications from the Asian Supporters club, packages from GBP999 including 2 nights at the Britannia Adelphi, stadium tour and 2-course meal pre-match in the Torben Piechnik suite.   

Edited by One Team In Keynsham
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

To be fair RT (and I was at all 3 matches in '94), what they've said there is probably correct. Barring a few exceptions, we haven't been very good this season. This isn't a 'beat up Johnson' post BTW, just my honest opinion. 

Can't disagree, but this is the cup!

I'll never forget Leeds!!!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Spot on, having watched them outplay a full strength Everton side if we still have LJ setting the tactics (sic) they will run riot against us.

First half Everton should of been 2 or 3 up. Liverpool looked like a team who hadn’t played together.

2nd half they were a lot better and were better side 2nd half. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

 

Win or draw against Shrewsbury, we would always have been ball number 13.

Yes, but would it have been drawn just before Liverpool? Well never know. The only definate thing in this world is what HAS happened, is my point . (bit deep for a Monday night, I know, existential debate :shifty:)

edit, didn't you attend Miss Taylor's String Theory lectures ?

Edited by slartibartfast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping Johnson gets bounced before this game if we can get past the shrews first.

We'll become a worldwide embarrassment and laughing stock if the side trotts out the kind of display we have to put up with week in week out at home!! Then again, most people are asleep in front of the tv on a sunday afternoon, so hopefully won't notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

First half Everton should of been 2 or 3 up. Liverpool looked like a team who hadn’t played together.

Unfortunately lately that's exactly how we look!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The only definate thing in this world is what HAS happened,

Descartes might argue the toss.

As we know Slarti despite our elephantine memorys what we recall happening years back and what happened are often entirely different.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Sod's law we beat Shrewsbury and give Liverpool a good game on national TV and Johnson sticks around a lot longer than a lot of people would like 

Wouldn't beating Shrewsbury and then giving Liverpool a good game be a good thing ?

  • Like 5
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super said:

From liverpool forum

They’ve lost a few of their better players since then. Saw them earlier in the season and they were shite. They do t really have much creativity or pace. They have a big lump of a centre forward and Ashley Williams at the back. Kasey Palmer once of Chelsea is their most creative player. They do have Andreas Weimann so we’ll have to score two to win though, that ****** always scored against us!

Blimey if they thought were shite earlier in the season they're in for a surprise! 🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with less regular fans trying to get tickets. We all know plenty of people who got to a handful of matches a season but can't commit to an ST. It's more the Bristol-living fans of Liverpool who'll suddenly be asking for tickets that wind people up.

Personally I'd give ST's priority, then anyone with a proof of purchase for Shrewsbury at home, then members, etc.

Members like myself pay for priority ticketing so I don’t think the Shrewsbury game should get special treatment. Personally I thought the tiered system used for the United and City games, based on total number of games attended, was about as fair as these things can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Wouldn't beating Shrewsbury and then giving Liverpool a good game be a good thing ?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately some of our fans are helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Descartes might argue the toss.

As we know Slarti despite our elephantine memorys what we recall happening years back and what happened are often entirely different.....

You mean "Da Shit never took the Tote" syndrome ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Sod's law we beat Shrewsbury and give Liverpool a good game on national TV and Johnson sticks around a lot longer than a lot of people would like 

So you would rather us lose?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Members like myself pay for priority ticketing so I don’t think the Shrewsbury game should get special treatment. Personally I thought the tiered system used for the United and City games, based on total number of games attended, was about as fair as these things can be.

Fine, lump Shrewsbury buyer's in with the members then. I do think there should be some reward for people who turn up to an unglamorous tie before they know the potential reward in the next round. Plus, if you set some sort of precedent for that kind of reward, you might find a small increase in 3rd round attendance in the future.

Edited by ExiledAjax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 77 punk said:

the f a cup draw puts a lot of pressure on johnson to win the shrewsbury replay

The players should put pressure on themselves  They should feel it too. It’s not only Johnson under scrutiny. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fine, lump Shrewsbury buyer's in with the members then. I do think there should be some reward for people who turn up to an unglamorous tie before they know the potential reward in the next round. Plus, if you set some sort of precedent for that kind of reward, you might find a small increase in 3rd round attendance in the future.

Yes, fair enough. In fact it might be an idea for the future to say that tickets will give priority for the next round, for unglamorous games like Shrewsbury.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The banana skin has just got enormous for Lee. Lose away to Shrewsbury would be bad enough but to miss  out on a home tie to Liverpool catastrophic. Especially for SL and the chance to fill up the coffers a little bit. Also presume tthe cameras would be  down as it is Liverpool which would be more money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

So all those moaning buggers who have been saying how crap the football has been at Ashton Gate will now be desperately scrabbling for tickets, assuming that we get past Shrewsbury!

....and why shouldn’t they?! A glamorous game to provide a break from the shite ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...