Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..

So, Will We Do Our Usual Thing....?

Recommended Posts

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. It demonstrates the lack of ambition, who can ever forget the Dele Adebola debacle in 2007/08 where we were crying out for a young, nippy and clinical striker to make the difference but instead, ended up with the polar opposite on deadline day. Dele was an honest, hard working player but he was never going to set the world on fire whereas our direct competition for promotion at the time (Stoke) spent big which helped win them promotion and an 8 year stint in the Premier league. 

Hopefully we will have learned our lesson and, as we are close enough to the play-offs at the moment to make it worth taking the chance, let's show some ambition for a change and go and get the player(s) we want early rather than play the usual game of cat and mouse...

 

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 5
  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. It demonstrates the lack of ambition, who can ever forget the Dele Adebola debacle in 2007/08 where we were crying out for a young, nippy and clinical striker to make the difference but instead, ended up with the polar opposite on deadline day. Dele was an honest, hard working player but he was never going to set the world on fire whereas our direct competition for promotion at the time (Stoke) spent big which helped win them promotion and an 8 year stint in the Premier league. 

Hopefully we will have learned our lesson and, as we are close enough to the play-offs at the moment to make it worth taking the chance, let's show some ambition for a change and go and get the player(s) we want early rather than play the usual game of cat and mouse...

 

I am sure We  would like to land our targets early but for the moment we are not the most attractive club courting the level of player we’re looking to bring in .

 

Do you really believe that Nketiah is not wanted by bigger , sexier clubs than lil ol Bristol City ? 
 

We could bring in nobodies , who are not wanted elsewhere, immediately  because there is no competition for their signatures. 

Which do you prefer ? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am sure We  would like to land our targets early but for the moment we are not the most attractive club courting the level of player we’re looking to bring in .

 

Do you really believe that Nketiah is not wanted by bigger , sexier clubs than lil ol Bristol City ? 
 

We could bring in nobodies , who are not wanted elsewhere, immediately  because there is no competition for their signatures. 

Which do you prefer ? 
 

We have enough for the future and loans are a waste of time as it just puts off the need for another day; odds are on a loan though and "we go again another day" zzzz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with every word you've said, SDA, yes it would be fantastic if City could do their business early, but can't see it happening unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I agree with every word you've said, SDA, yes it would be fantastic if City could do their business early, but can't see it happening unfortunately.

What would you do if Nketiah signs in the next few days? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. It demonstrates the lack of ambition, who can ever forget the Dele Adebola debacle in 2007/08 where we were crying out for a young, nippy and clinical striker to make the difference but instead, ended up with the polar opposite on deadline day. Dele was an honest, hard working player but he was never going to set the world on fire whereas our direct competition for promotion at the time (Stoke) spent big which helped win them promotion and an 8 year stint in the Premier league. 

Hopefully we will have learned our lesson and, as we are close enough to the play-offs at the moment to make it worth taking the chance, let's show some ambition for a change and go and get the player(s) we want early rather than play the usual game of cat and mouse...

 

I feel and share your frustration, and quiet despair, and I, too, am tempted by, and drawn to, simplistic explanations and wishful thinking. There is some solace to be found there. Some. But we kid ourselves when we think we know what those running the show should or could or ought to be doing, instead of what they are or are not doing. 

It is easy to ignore what is currently going on compared to what went on before, that we are now doing "our usual thing." I know it will not help to point out here that "our usual thing" at this level of English football is not to slowly progress up the division; "our usual thing" amongst yer Forests, yer Derbys, yer Wednesdays and co is to very soon find the going a bit much, then sink like a stone back to L1.

This truth does not help when the play-offs are there for the taking, we can almost reach out and touch them. All we need to do is ..... it is frustrating to be so close, and yet, the way we have been playing recently, so close and yet so far. It is agonising, almost.

Being on here, all day, throughout January can only make us feel worse, as we wait, and wait, while Ashton in his ivory tower at that BristolSports twiddles his thumbs and trims his bloody beard and gazes at his Football Business Awards Beardy Suit **** of the Year on the cabinet behind his glass-top desk and idles the day away, when he could have Eddie and three more up at Failand already, the useless t***er.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry said:

There’s a club in the northwest called Manchester City. 
A powerhouse over the last decade. 
Currently going through a bit of a struggle, particularly with their centre backs. 
Their best one is injured. 
The rest are not rated much by the boss. 
So much so they have the best DM in world football playing CB instead. 
Everyone knows they need to buy a CB. 
They are the richest club in the world. 
They can pay whatever they want in fees and wages. 
They can easily attract the biggest names in the world. 
They have the best manager in the world. 
 

But......why haven’t they signed a new CB yet! 
They must be doing it on the cheap. 
Waiting all month so they can save a few quid. 
 

Get real buddy. 

Is this a poem?

Doesn't rhyme.

Doesnt scan.

But I believe neither are considered a requirement,

For a modern poet.

Love it. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. It demonstrates the lack of ambition, who can ever forget the Dele Adebola debacle in 2007/08 where we were crying out for a young, nippy and clinical striker to make the difference but instead, ended up with the polar opposite on deadline day. Dele was an honest, hard working player but he was never going to set the world on fire whereas our direct competition for promotion at the time (Stoke) spent big which helped win them promotion and an 8 year stint in the Premier league. 

Hopefully we will have learned our lesson and, as we are close enough to the play-offs at the moment to make it worth taking the chance, let's show some ambition for a change and go and get the player(s) we want early rather than play the usual game of cat and mouse...

 

Yea but in my football manager pc game I do all my business early so I can’t understand why it doesn’t happen 😂😂😂😂

Agents and players get better deals towards the end of the window when clubs get desperate,  clubs won’t agree to sell until they have brought , but that doesn’t happen early because of my for-mentioned comment  

it is so hard to do business in this window 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry said:

There’s a club in the northwest called Manchester City. 
A powerhouse over the last decade. 
Currently going through a bit of a struggle, particularly with their centre backs. 
Their best one is injured. 
The rest are not rated much by the boss. 
So much so they have the best DM in world football playing CB instead. 
Everyone knows they need to buy a CB. 
They are the richest club in the world. 
They can pay whatever they want in fees and wages. 
They can easily attract the biggest names in the world. 
They have the best manager in the world. 
 

But......why haven’t they signed a new CB yet! 
They must be doing it on the cheap. 
Waiting all month so they can save a few quid. 
 

Get real buddy. 

Harry, try as I might, your poem doesn't scan very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry said:

There’s a club in the northwest called Manchester City. 
A powerhouse over the last decade. 
Currently going through a bit of a struggle, particularly with their centre backs. 
Their best one is injured. 
The rest are not rated much by the boss. 
So much so they have the best DM in world football playing CB instead. 
Everyone knows they need to buy a CB. 
They are the richest club in the world. 
They can pay whatever they want in fees and wages. 
They can easily attract the biggest names in the world. 

They have the best manager in the world. 
 

But......why haven’t they signed a new CB yet! 
They must be doing it on the cheap. 
Waiting all month so they can save a few quid. 
 

Get real buddy. 

A club that should be excluded from the CL for financial reasons tbh!!

Given how much they spend, the heart bleeds haha...points docked (yeah, right) and CL ban I hope.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That aside, I see the point of the OP but we don't exist in a bubble- there's not a lot of business that's been done early at this level!

Leeds still haven't replaced Nketiah for one even with a loanee, despite being pretty well placed and a useful proposition.

Would be great to get it all done early but it doesn't work like that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every summer we get excited over players. Four months later we’ve been disappointed by 75% of them. We need to concentrate on making our lot better, not throwing the towel in and sp£nking more money up the wall. 
Pretty sure prayoffs are gone this season anyway so what’s the point of a loanee who will be gone in the summer?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Every summer we get excited over players. Four months later we’ve been disappointed by 75% of them. We need to concentrate on making our lot better, not throwing the towel in and sp£nking more money up the wall. 
Pretty sure prayoffs are gone this season anyway so what’s the point of a loanee who will be gone in the summer?

Dunno if I agree- a good loanee can make the difference for a playoff charge.

IF you then win the playoffs, then it pays off- in spades (while keeping within FFP limits in January, ie we can't just sign Gayle for £15m on £60k per week!)

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Every summer we get excited over players. Four months later we’ve been disappointed by 75% of them. We need to concentrate on making our lot better, not throwing the towel in and sp£nking more money up the wall. 
Pretty sure prayoffs are gone this season anyway so what’s the point of a loanee who will be gone in the summer?

And the longer the rumour thread, the bigger the disappointment when the player arrives and doesn’t set the world on fire. Trundle didn’t. Nketiah wouldn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that is interesting, and sorry to bring up his name again, but if Arsenal are so keen to get Nketiah as much game time as possible you'd think they would want his loan sorted ASAP to get him into a team and playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phantom said:

The thing that is interesting, and sorry to bring up his name again, but if Arsenal are so keen to get Nketiah as much game time as possible you'd think they would want his loan sorted ASAP to get him into a team and playing

Arsenal do want his loan sorted asap.

Problem is, like most players, Nketiah has an agent. And a greedy one at that; who wants to squeeze every last penny out of the deal for himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Is this a poem?

Doesn't rhyme.

Doesnt scan.

But I believe neither are considered a requirement,

For a modern poet.

Love it. 

Just how I read it! 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Is this a poem?

Doesn't rhyme.

Doesnt scan.

But I believe neither are considered a requirement,

For a modern poet.

Love it. 

Perhaps he's a poet but doesn't know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same old January window  for City. Talk the talk but it amounts to just talk. Crying out for a striker but let's sit and watch them slowly and surely be signed by other clubs. It won't be long before we hear how tough it is to sign players at the moment and they must fit in and we will not sign anyone unless they are better than what we have. Now wouldn't I love to be proved wrong.

 

  • Like 2
  • Aubergine 1
  • Rovers 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. It demonstrates the lack of ambition, who can ever forget the Dele Adebola debacle in 2007/08 where we were crying out for a young, nippy and clinical striker to make the difference but instead, ended up with the polar opposite on deadline day. Dele was an honest, hard working player but he was never going to set the world on fire whereas our direct competition for promotion at the time (Stoke) spent big which helped win them promotion and an 8 year stint in the Premier league. 

Hopefully we will have learned our lesson and, as we are close enough to the play-offs at the moment to make it worth taking the chance, let's show some ambition for a change and go and get the player(s) we want early rather than play the usual game of cat and mouse...

 

Because of course you know the ins and outs of previous transfer windows don’t you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Same old January window  for City. Talk the talk but it amounts to just talk. Crying out for a striker but let's sit and watch them slowly and surely be signed by other clubs. It won't be long before we hear how tough it is to sign players at the moment and they must fit in and we will not sign anyone unless they are better than what we have. Now wouldn't I love to be proved wrong.

 

Actually, check out business being done- it clearly IS somewhat tough and clubs are clearly in part cautious due to financial regs or have been to date.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Think the mood on this forum will change a lot when Eddie signs 

I just hope that if he does sign that he is all that and doesn't turn into another Diony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I just hope that if he does sign that he is all that and doesn't turn into another Diony

Me too. This is a big claim but I think he'll be better for us than Afobe was. I think he'll also expose the quality of strikers we play now (Similar to what Afobe did to Famara) 

We just need a hungry quality striker and he's just that. 

Edited by Sturny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phantom said:

I just hope that if he does sign that he is all that and doesn't turn into another Diony

He has lots of talent and in my opinion could easily be one of the best forwards in the league.. however it's up to us to cater to his style and get the best out of him. Stylistically he's a bit like Brett Pitman, but far better and quicker - he's a true poacher. It's up to us to make the most of him. No point lumping high balls up and hoping one sticks, we need to utilise the likes of Palmer and Eliasson.

He's exactly the sort of player who'll bring the best out of Palmer so that's another positive. Really promising signing if it happens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do poachers necessarily work at this level? I just have nagging doubts...

Higher you go, the more a striker might need etc.

I always thought Tammy was essentially a poacher. For us, anyway. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I always thought Tammy was essentially a poacher. For us, anyway. 

Think he had a bit more looking back...Nketiah didn't fit Bielsa's system clearly, though it could also be argued he didn't get a proper crack.

There's definitely been a decline of the poacher in the last 10-20 years though! 

Following this argument though and on balance I would like to see us sign Nketiah, could it be to the detriment of other areas of the team, balance etc in order to give him the chances that he'd need?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Arsenal do want his loan sorted asap.

Problem is, like most players, Nketiah has an agent. And a greedy one at that; who wants to squeeze every last penny out of the deal for himself. 

In these cases you would think that the club’s  representatives would point to the elephant in the room and tell him to wind his neck in . 

The agent is the least important person in the deal. 

He should be looking out for his client above all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In these cases you would think that the club’s  representatives would point to the elephant in the room and tell him to wind his neck in . 

The agent is the least important person in the deal. 

He should be looking out for his client above all.

 

Increasingly influential...just part of the modern game isn't it?

Someone I work with who used to work at a PL football club in London in the mid 2000s, not one of the top ones but one of the midrankiong ones told me that Directors had cars to a certain level, players to another one...but the best and flashest cars? Agents.

Did Ronaldo not buy Mendes an island off Greece? Did Raiola not make multiple tens of millions from Pogba sale?

Just have to 'play the game' unfortunately. Somewhere between £20-40m for Raiola in that deal I believe.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pros & Cons. Wait until near the month's end and the best players will have been signed by other clubs. On the other hand, selling clubs may be desperate for cash and take a reduced offer for players they need to off load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do poachers necessarily work at this level? I just have nagging doubts...

Higher you go, the more a striker might need etc.

Dwight Gayle and Nakhi Wells have both worked well at this level, both good poachers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Dwight Gayle and Nakhi Wells have both worked well at this level, both good poachers. 

Think they've got a bit more...

Can unbalance a side too in other areas too, servicing a poacher. Balancing act- he certainly didn't see to fit Leeds ideal setup, Nketiah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. 

2017 we brought in Hegeler, Djuric & Wright in the first week of January with Taylor following at the end. 
Which was the exception to our usual business certainly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Actually, check out business being done- it clearly IS somewhat tough and clubs are clearly in part cautious due to financial regs or have been to date.

It is more than somewhat tough for us Recently it has been an impossibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He has lots of talent and in my opinion could easily be one of the best forwards in the league.. however it's up to us to cater to his style and get the best out of him. Stylistically he's a bit like Brett Pitman, but far better and quicker - he's a true poacher. It's up to us to make the most of him. No point lumping high balls up and hoping one sticks, we need to utilise the likes of Palmer and Eliasson.

He's exactly the sort of player who'll bring the best out of Palmer so that's another positive. Really promising signing if it happens. 

If he's even half the finisher Pitman was then we'll be in for a treat.

He won't score the variety of goals that Pitman was capable of, but may well go on to have a better overall career granted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A club that should be excluded from the CL for financial reasons tbh!!

Given how much they spend, the heart bleeds haha...points docked (yeah, right) and CL ban I hope.

Think you might’ve missed the somewhat sarcastic message of my post-cum-poem Pops. 

3 hours ago, pillred said:

Perhaps he's a poet but doesn't know it.

Don’t know about that. 
But I know that he who smelt it dealt it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Getting the quality of striker we have needed in January.

Difficult.

Sometimes it's financial

Sometimes we're beaten by other clubs.

This January though we SHOULD be in a good position. No guarantees though, never are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Difficult.

Sometimes it's financial

Sometimes we're beaten by other clubs.

You're not one of the Johnson family are you?

I can hear Lee's voice saying the above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...