IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

• Admin

Losing 1-0 at half time at home to West Ham, attacking header was cleared off the line but stuck back of City player and went in off back of City player. 

City thought they'd equalised shortly after  with a great finish from a cross from a free kick.

City offer no threat up front sacrificing the second striker for a player to sit infront of the defence. 

Game has got very niggly in final ten minutes of the half, with a couple of City players needlessly lashing out at opponents.

I swear I have never witnessed so many foul throws not given before 

• Admin

Well that got progressively worse.

A long aimless clearance by West Ham was well kept in, an early cross was put into the box, with the City defender sleeping the West ham striker got across her and finished smartly. 

Oxtoby finally recognised that City needed a second striker bringing on Salmon to replace the ineffective Humphrey (Carla is an enigma, she runs around alot but rarely touches the ball for a centre midfielder)

The next attack Baggaley made a great save, but rather than putting the ball out and regrouping the defender oddly played the ball out wide, the West ham player whipped the ball straight back in giving a free header from a matter of yards out to make it 0-3.

Near the end another long ball caught City asleep, Baggaley made a save when West ham really should have scored, the ball was hacked away only for a West ham player to dribble unchallenged around the city midfield before setting up her team mate for a simple finish (0-4).

It was really odd how often City should put the ball out when in danger but they created numerous problems keeping the ball alive. 

One personally annoying thing from watching and playing football you learn about movement off the ball, watching City today their decision making on numerous occasions was very poor 

For me I'm not sure what happens now, the squad is clearly a long way of the other sides in their league, yes there are a handful of quality player's but too many aren't good enough. So removing Oxtoby maybe isn't the natural answer. But on the basis she's pregnant, I think she should step aside. 

Perhaps someone else can get something out of this squad as many simple things are done badly. 

Short of the unlikely chance City get promotion form they're going to finish rock bottom and well adrift of everyone else. 

Sounds like the heart has gone out of the side, as the results are certainly not the sort that will give any hope. After nine games: 5 goals for, 39 against, 2 points.

It feels like the season Dave Edmunson took over after half the players left; that was a relegation from the start.

Oddly the Conti Cup results are far better, but that won't be much of a consolation.

Sorry but I don’t think it’s just the coach. Other clubs have invested heavily in players and it’s becoming clear that SL doesn’t really want Bristol Sport to spend anything much on the women’s game. That just seems incredibly short sighted as it will be far harder to get back to this level than it would be to stay there.

• Like 2

It seems to me that women like playing football but not watching other women play it if the crowds in the women's game are anything to go by, plenty of them seem to be happy to watch our men's team and until that changes I just can't see the women's game really taking off ever as a  profitable spectator sport but it's great so many love playing the game though.

On 11/12/2020 at 22:35, phantom said:

I wonder if the guy that stepped in a few games back is being lined up?

Seemed odd at the time to bring someone in with no connection to the side.

VERY difficult morally for the club to sack her now 

Gary Probert.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/academy-staff/gary-probert/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-probert-93aba923

• Like 1

• Admin

Currently playing at table topping Manchester United. 

Much better performance so far and maybe a bit unlucky to be 2-0 at half time. 

First goal was a thunderbolt nobody is saving and the second on halftime was poor marking from a corner. 

A couple of players returning to the City starting line up definitely making an improvement. If they had played like this the past two home games we might have gotten something out of those games. 

I understand why we set up defensively but Salmon really needs support up front. 

One thing that really pisses me off about women's football is the need for them to wear makeup whilst playing, you'd think some of the United players are going straight on a night out

• Like 1

• Admin

Disappointing score line, but Uniteds squad is a world away from ours.

Can a new manager get any more from our squad? 

If so make the change now. 

I know I keep saying this, our players are from a lower level to most opponents now, we'll put in 100% every game but it's more than that.

Those in control need to question whether they really want to push the women's team or let them continue to fall behind more and more 

• Admin

I really hope that Bristol City seek clarification from the FAWSL following them sanctioning the postponement of Man City Vs West Ham game this weekend

For anyone wondering why I say this. Man City have four players who have tested positive for Corona Virus, these four have all just returned from a holiday in Dubai where they are reported to have caught the virus.

But the real issue, earlier in the season we had five players who were isolating following PHE advice, and the FAWSL decided that the game should go ahead

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I really hope that Bristol City seek clarification from the FAWSL following them sanctioning the postponement of Man City Vs West Ham game this weekend

For anyone wondering why I say this. Man City have four players who have tested positive for Corona Virus, these four have all just returned from a holiday in Dubai where they are reported to have caught the virus.

But the real issue, earlier in the season we had five players who were isolating following PHE advice, and the FAWSL decided that the game should go ahead

Agreed, similarly questions should be asked why a holiday to Dubai was authorised mid season.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Guardian have picked up on it and the reporter specifically mentions in a tweet about why arsenal/Man City can cancel after this but we had to play. Shame she’s on leave for a month and someone else is writing the story. 

• Like 1

• Admin

City vs Aston Villa in the quarter final of the continental Cup live on the FA Player now.

Better signal quality and chromecast available tonight, guess the site couldn't cope with numbers last Sunday 

Sophie Baggaley and Carla Humphrey miss out due to positive covid tests yesterday 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

2-1 on 85

Shame for City as they defended brilliantly.

Some of the blocks going in are as good as you will ever see.

One interesting thing is that Robert Massey-Willis is the referee. Husband of Sian

Pundit on Sky desperate not to give City any credit in her updates.