Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alan Dicks

Steve Lansdown

2 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Get this clueless idiot out of my beloved club starting first thing tomorrow morning.

Don’t waste your breathe mate , we’re 8th in the league , crowds are up / he ain’t going anywhere. The only thing for certain is he will be given money to spunk away this month 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Un. Sack. A. Ball. 

This is so very nearly a perfect anagram of 

Ball sack. Unan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

As much as I agree that Lee is primarily responsible, I don’t know what other coaches will be able to succeed under Lansdown and the ‘model’. Anyone with promise has to be sold and and players coming in can only be paid 20-25k. I understand why this is but it has ramifications.

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

As much as I agree that Lee is primarily responsible, I don’t know what other coaches will be able to succeed under Lansdown and the ‘model’. Anyone with promise has to be sold and and players coming in can only be paid 20-25k. I understand why this is but it has ramifications.

You think we sell big, Brentford sell massive!

Championship is a bit of a selling division. We've sold some key parts out of necessity but LJ should still be doing better than he is IMO. We have quite a good squad, some pretty good individuals. 

Unbalanced in places granted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fanjita said:

People,,,,,,,vote with your feet Saturday 

It will be toxic Saturday unless we put in a performance and get 3 points 

Sadly they have our season ticket money so won't give a damn if we're there or not 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Championship is a bit of a selling division. We've sold some key parts out of necessity but LJ should still be doing better than he is IMO. We have quite a good squad, some pretty good individuals. 

Just pointing out what the club works too.

We can’t all cheat like Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves, Cardiff etc.

5 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Absolutely, turn up and get involved!!!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Exactly. Brentford have a perfect model. And a fantastic ‘identity’ our esteemed head coach bangs on about. 
We have no identity! Our players dont seem to know who eachother are!

Perhaps he can actually start looking at performances without dark glasses on and understand we are playing terrible football. Backwards, sideways, hoofball. If thats an identity then we have a serious problem. 
Cheerio Lee. I think you have until the summer. Noplayoffs ad continuation of this dreadful ‘identity’ may eventually see you looking elsewhere for employment. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Just pointing out what the club works too.

We can’t all cheat like Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves, Cardiff etc.

Absolutely, turn up and get involved!!!

Did Sheffield United cheat? Huddersfield- Norwich? Unsure about Cardiff or Wolves but they'd be close to the limit. Debate for another day. 

Is the standard of play acceptable though, regardless of promotion? I'd say not IMO!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Sheffield United cheat? Huddersfield- Norwich? Unsure about Cardiff or Wolves but they'd be close to the limit. Debate for another day. 

Is the standard of play acceptable though, regardless of promotion? I'd say not IMO!

Don’t disagree.

I just really don’t see a viable alternative to Lee Johnson.

Does anyone seriously think Chris Hughton would be able to succeed within our parameters??

Estimates that tonight cost us £0.6-1.0m.  That’s £30k per week wages lost opportunity.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it has an impact on recruitment.  Could be one player difference.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sadly they have our season ticket money so won't give a damn if we're there or not 

Toxic? Barely a whimper more like. 

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Don’t disagree.

Does anyone seriously think Chris Hughton would be able to succeed within our parameters??

I think you need a certain type of manager- and these types are rare.

Hughton possibly isn't that one but then again neither is LJ. 

Will be honest and say I don't know the right type- but I think LJ is coming to the end. Feels like he's taken us as far as he can IMO.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

Let's hope we do but that's certainly no given. 

They're playing quite well in their own right or have been since late November. Probably won't cheer people up but from then to now:

1) Beat Hull 3-1

2) Beat QPR 5-3

3) Won 2-1 at Millwall 

4) Drew with- and markedly outplayed in the process WBA. 

5) Drew at Swansea

6) Beat Huddersfield

7) Drew with improving Reading. 

So it sounds like their results AND performance level have been quite good in recent times...has potential to be tricky. Most of these were at Oakwell though.

1 hour ago, daored said:

Don’t waste your breathe mate , we’re 8th in the league , crowds are up / he ain’t going anywhere. The only thing for certain is he will be given money to spunk away this month 

That's because people don't vote with their feet and are happy to keep watching the same old shite

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Don’t disagree.

More to the point, would Chris Hughton ever come here? Can't see it. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Estimates that tonight cost us £0.6-1.0m.  That’s £30k per week wages lost opportunity.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it has an impact on recruitment.  Could be one player difference.

Damn, that means we won't be able to afford another attacking midfielder from League Two

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Don’t disagree.

With the players available and a two week window....Definitely!

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

With the players available and a two week window....Definitely!

In this, one of the poorest Championships for many a year, just having a bounce from a caretaker manager for a few weeks could make all the difference. Saying that, McAllister is probably just as bad as Johnson

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

In this, one of the poorest Championships for many a year, just having a bounce from a caretaker manager for a few weeks could make all the difference. Saying that, McAllister is probably just as bad as Johnson

Not to mention Holden!?

• Like 1

TBH, I think LJ has until the end of this season.  That may be too late for many, but a lot will rest on what he can do with the players who come in during the next week or two.

Tonight, we had by far the best players on the pitch.  Where we were second best was tactics and motivation.  That can only be the managers responsibility.

• Like 1

If, at the start if the season you were told that Stoke, Huddersfield and Boro would all gladly swap league positions with City in mid Jan, would you have taken it?

53 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Exactly. Brentford have a perfect model. And a fantastic ‘identity’ our esteemed head coach bangs on about. 
We have no identity! Our players dont seem to know who eachother are!

Perhaps he can actually start looking at performances without dark glasses on and understand we are playing terrible football. Backwards, sideways, hoofball. If thats an identity then we have a serious problem. 
Cheerio Lee. I think you have until the summer. Noplayoffs ad continuation of this dreadful ‘identity’ may eventually see you looking elsewhere for employment. 

Agree, but you have to put it back at SL.

its all very well with, “we’re all aligned” 

“ singing from the same hymn sheet” blah blah blah .Everyone is grateful for the money he’s pumped in and he's obviously a brilliant businessman .

However , I do think that SL doesn’t understand football. He’s wasted millions . 
Where was the philosophy that was supposed to be put into place.

Bournemouth, Swansea , Brentford , all clubs of similar size have a way of playing from top to bottom. 
Players playing in the u23’s that understand how the first team  play and if good enough can slot in seamlessly .

buying players that fit that system and a scouting system that targets specific players to fit that philosophy .

What have we got ? Signing wingers when we didn’t play with wingers or number 10’s when we don’t play anyone in the hole. 
Rudderless , and that comes from the top .

He imo needs mark Ashton to do his ******* job which is negotiate contracts , nothing more, no input in transfers or managerial appointments and seek some advice from a very experienced football man on how to run the football side. Because if his dream is to get promoted before he pops his clogs , he’s got no chance as things stand. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree, but you have to put it back at SL.

its all very well with, “we’re all aligned” 

“ singing from the same hymn sheet” blah blah blah .Everyone is grateful for the money he’s pumped in and he's obviously a brilliant businessman .

However , I do think that SL doesn’t understand football. He’s wasted millions . 
Where was the philosophy that was supposed to be put into place.

Bournemouth, Swansea , Brentford , all clubs of similar size have a way of playing from top to bottom. 
Players playing in the u23’s that understand how the first team  play and if good enough can slot in seamlessly .

buying players that fit that system and a scouting system that targets specific players to fit that philosophy .

What have we got ? Signing wingers when we didn’t play with wingers or number 10’s when we don’t play anyone in the hole. 
Rudderless , and that comes from the top .

He imo needs mark Ashton to do his ******* job which is negotiate contracts , nothing more, no input in transfers or managerial appointments and seek some advice from a very experienced football man on how to run the football side. Because if his dream is to get promoted before he pops his clogs , he’s got no chance as things stand. 

Great post... absolutely this 👏

• Like 1

Time for Sir Steve to come out with the ‘Vote of Confidence’ statement.

At least give us some hope that the clock is ticking man ! 

True. 
But as per the rugby he has employed a top coach to oversee the playing side. 
I dont believe LJ is a cheap option but he has probably wasted a lot of ‘aimless’ money tinkering rather than perhaps a clearer approach from a potentially more experienced coach at this level. 
im very happy with championship stability dont get me wrong but cant help but feel weve already wasted a couple of ddcent chances the last two seasons to atleast break into the playoffs. 
Perhaps permitting a more ‘named’ coach to oversee the playing side and also have LJ’s budget, may have made a difference by now already. 
SL probably too nice to keep GJ/LJ as long as he did/has due to friendship. 
Either way its his toy to play with, could be worse, could be better!!

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Time for Sir Steve to come out with the ‘Vote of Confidence’ statement.

At least give us some hope that the clock is ticking man ! 

Why would it be ticking, come 17:00 on Saturday we will be back in the playoffs 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I just wonder if Johnson was out of the picture McAllister might impose a very positive impact if he was allowed free reign. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paulcityfan said:

I just wonder if Johnson was out of the picture McAllister might impose a very positive impact if he was allowed free reign. 

Please god no

Id rather give it to Jerry , the SLO

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Get this clueless idiot out of my beloved club starting first thing tomorrow morning.

Get this clueless poster out of my beloved forum starting first thing tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

So ..... 

who do you want out, Lansdown or Johnson?

Its not at all clear, though others assume you mean LJ.

Edited by Leveller
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

Thing is, part of this is self inflicted. 

LJ's clubs in the bag approach means that we're increasing wage costs year on year, making any increase in Turnover pretty reduntant. 

Ala Adelakun, Watkins, Szmodics, Palmer, Taylor (who I doubt Oxford are paying the full wages for). 

Lets be kind and say wages are 5kpw, 8kpw, 6kpw, 15kpw, and half Taylors, so 4kpw. Maenpaa is also probably on around £8kpw.

That right there is £2.39m p/a wages before Tax, for players who, for us, have contributed what exactly? 

I count around 23 appearaces between those five players for City this season in so far. 

That's £104,000p/appearance between them. 

Id have honestly rather loaned Conor Gallagher and signed Karlan Grant to and saved a few hundred grand - while avoiding our fairly bloated squad. 

We have an academy for a reason, why loan them out when it could be useful to have the around i.e. Morrell and O'Leary and save money. 

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think you need a certain type of manager- and these types are rare.

Hughton possibly isn't that one but then again neither is LJ. 

Will be honest and say I don't know the right type- but I think LJ is coming to the end. Feels like he's taken us as far as he can IMO.

It's all starting to have a feel of the final days of Sod, Cotts and even GJ himself. 

His interview bothered me today, he snapped at the interviewer at one point, our own reporter and that's never a good sign.

4 hours ago, fanjita said:

You carry on and do that, the state of some of our ‘supporters’ is unbelievable, you’d think we’re struggling at the bottom of L2 the way some are going on.
I’ll continue to support BCFC through the good and the bad times, because that what supporters tend to do, yet those like you and there seems to be a fair few of you who think everything has to be great all of the time then after a few losses whinge until the cows come home about how bad things are at City at the moment, then want us to play a better standard of Football and most want us to bring in Warnock FFS! In reality apart from the poor home form and performances we are no doubt in the healthiest position we’ve ever been overall as a club. We’ve been through a hell of a lot worse than this, so those wanting LJ out what were your expectations this season?

Call me a Happy Clapper or whatever but I’m a realist who sees us as roundabout where we should be in this League ie pushing for the play offs, in what is imo one of if not the most competitive league there is, where it seems not 1 club is finding consistency, we are no different. We are up against clubs paying some players anything upto £80k p/w and yet some fully expect us to be challenging those sort of sides? Like it or not and I’m no LJ fanboy but we’ve improved our position for the past 5 years running and in with a good shout of improving again. Personally a change of manager (who’s even out there?) will only set us back even further from where people expect us to be during this season for sure. They’d want their own backroom staff, their own players, players having to adapt to different methods etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Hedgehog 1

28 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

You carry on and do that, the state of some of our ‘supporters’ is unbelievable, you’d think we’re struggling at the bottom of L2 the way some are going on.
I’ll continue to support BCFC through the good and the bad times, because that what supporters tend to do, yet those like you and there seems to be a fair few of you who think everything has to be great all of the time then after a few losses whinge until the cows come home about how bad things are at City at the moment, then want us to play a better standard of Football and most want us to bring in Warnock FFS! In reality apart from the poor home form and performances we are no doubt in the healthiest position we’ve ever been overall as a club. We’ve been through a hell of a lot worse than this, so those wanting LJ out what were your expectations this season?

Call me a Happy Clapper or whatever but I’m a realist who sees us as roundabout where we should be in this League ie pushing for the play offs, in what is imo one of if not the most competitive league there is, where it seems not 1 club is finding consistency, we are no different. We are up against clubs paying some players anything upto £80k p/w and yet some fully expect us to be challenging those sort of sides? Like it or not and I’m no LJ fanboy but we’ve improved our position for the past 5 years running and in with a good shout of improving again. Personally a change of manager (who’s even out there?) will only set us back even further from where people expect us to be during this season for sure. They’d want their own backroom staff, their own players, players having to adapt to different methods etc. 

SL is a realist too. He was not happy tonight, not at all happy. 

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Don’t disagree.

That's a very good point.

I imagine Hughton would want a certain type of player. They'd cost a bit of money, but worse than the wages or any transfer fee, they would not have any value in the market.

We'd then have less money to buy any quality in future windows.

The way we do things can be successful. And actually Johnson has done a fantastic job in bringing in quality that improve and we can sell on for a profit.

However people may disagree with that model, that is what we do. And really there is no other sensible way of doing things.

Having said this, there are some serious questions about LJs tactics, and I don't think any supporter can be entirely happy with everything at the moment.

But I don't see the harm in seeing how he does. Look at the situation again in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1