Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alan Dicks

Steve Lansdown

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

SL is a realist too. He was not happy tonight, not at all happy. 

I’d imagine he probably was and has every right to be, a chance to play against what could be one of the best teams ever at AG in front of millions watching on tv. I’ve been saying it for god knows how long now that the only thing that is wrong with LJ is all the chopping and changing every week and the main reason behind (especially at AG) it is worrying about stopping whatever the opposition will be trying to do, for his sake he needs to bin that off right away, f0ck whatever they might do go at teams straight from the off and let them worry about us ffs. 

  • Like 3
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

SL is a realist too. He was not happy tonight, not at all happy. 

That'll be down to the loss of revenue....not because of the standard of football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t get me wrong I have a feeling SL will actually make a change if LJ fails to get us into the P/O’s this season, but those who would take Warnock now until the end of the season give your heads a wobble FFS you think you are fed with our current performances at home under LJ? Yes he does get results with the right players, that’ll usually be those over 6ft 4 and good in the air, he’s proved that he struggles with players who can actually play football so he’d be absolutely useless with our attacking players, I really don’t think some quite understand just how boring and shit his style is, may aswell throw Tiny Penis’s name into the mix aswell as he plays the same style. To suggest him coming here until the end of the season is quite frankly ridiculous, if you even for a split second think he’d come in and do a job or make us any better with what we currently have then I’m embarrassed for you, you really have no clue at all.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I’d imagine he probably was and has every right to be, a chance to play against what could be one of the best teams ever at AG in front of millions watching on tv. I’ve been saying it for god knows how long now that the only thing that is wrong with LJ is all the chopping and changing every week and the main reason behind (especially at AG) it is worrying about stopping whatever the opposition will be trying to do, for his sake he needs to bin that off right away, f0ck whatever they might do go at teams straight from the off and let them worry about us ffs. 

We are still generally unknown in the footballing world. Adam from Newcastle who's a Bristol City fan called Talksport to have a but of a rant and the presenters laughed him off the air and that attitude is typical because as Bristol City have never achieved anything of any note and the fact we never get the big games in the cup, outsiders consider us a laughing stock. 

The only way you change those perceptions is by getting exposure. The Liverpool game, at home, live on the BBC in millions of home would have given us that exposure. We got the Dunder sponsorship on the back of the previous big cup games, I suspect the recent news that Xledger are the new SS sponsors was partly due to the fact we could have played Liverpool and by signing up before it was confirmed they were able to get a cheaper rate. 

If I was SL I'd be absolutely fuming. Being live on the BBC and all over the world to such a large audience is marketing that you cant buy. 

Whilst were talking about Liverpool we may aswell use them as an example, yes I get they are probably the best team in the world right now, but that's only a recent thing. They have a clear system and they very rarely change that. They play their way and let the opposition worry about them.

I think LJ has got too caught up in what all his analysts suggest. The fact is we have started so many games this season set up wrong based on what the analysts suggest because they believe the opposition is going to set up a certain way and then come lick off they set up completely different to how we expect. Or game plan that we have worked on in training has then gone out of the window and then we have to wait for the analysts to analyse how they have instead set up before we then make changes, and then when we finally do make changes, they then make their own changes.

Our head coach needs to bin these ******* analysts off and get back to trusting his own eyes and managerial instincts.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Don’t get me wrong I have a feeling SL will actually make a change if LJ fails to get us into the P/O’s this season, but those who would take Warnock now until the end of the season give your heads a wobble FFS you think you are fed with our current performances at home under LJ? Yes he does get results with the right players, that’ll usually be those over 6ft 4 and good in the air, he’s proved that he struggles with players who can actually play football so he’d be absolutely useless with our attacking players, I really don’t think some quite understand just how boring and shit his style is, may aswell throw Tiny Penis’s name into the mix aswell as he plays the same style. To suggest him coming here until the end of the season is quite frankly ridiculous, if you even for a split second think he’d come in and do a job or make us any better with what we currently have then I’m embarrassed for you, you really have no clue at all.

Adel Taarabt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree, but you have to put it back at SL.

its all very well with, “we’re all aligned” 

“ singing from the same hymn sheet” blah blah blah .Everyone is grateful for the money he’s pumped in and he's obviously a brilliant businessman .

However , I do think that SL doesn’t understand football. He’s wasted millions . 
Where was the philosophy that was supposed to be put into place.

Bournemouth, Swansea , Brentford , all clubs of similar size have a way of playing from top to bottom. 
Players playing in the u23’s that understand how the first team  play and if good enough can slot in seamlessly .

buying players that fit that system and a scouting system that targets specific players to fit that philosophy .

What have we got ? Signing wingers when we didn’t play with wingers or number 10’s when we don’t play anyone in the hole. 
Rudderless , and that comes from the top .

He imo needs mark Ashton to do his ******* job which is negotiate contracts , nothing more, no input in transfers or managerial appointments and seek some advice from a very experienced football man on how to run the football side. Because if his dream is to get promoted before he pops his clogs , he’s got no chance as things stand. 

Stevie....just reread the Harry Dolman book and see what he says in there about football owners...............and he was one !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

That's because people don't vote with their feet and are happy to keep watching the same old shite

Not entirely true. I've been to 2 home games in the last 7. Primarily because the footy is crap. Of the 2 games I've been, there was definitely an absence of some ST holders. 

And before I'm trolled with "you're a fair weather fan". I suppose I am insofar as my nipper struggles with the cold and wind so it's a convincing reason sometimes to give it a miss. Plus a footy day begins with leaving the house at 10am, returning at 7.15pm. LJ tries his hardest to convince us to stay at home and he's getting better at it. 

Edited by CotswoldRed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree, but you have to put it back at SL.

its all very well with, “we’re all aligned” 

“ singing from the same hymn sheet” blah blah blah .Everyone is grateful for the money he’s pumped in and he's obviously a brilliant businessman .

However , I do think that SL doesn’t understand football. He’s wasted millions . 
Where was the philosophy that was supposed to be put into place.

Bournemouth, Swansea , Brentford , all clubs of similar size have a way of playing from top to bottom. 
Players playing in the u23’s that understand how the first team  play and if good enough can slot in seamlessly .

buying players that fit that system and a scouting system that targets specific players to fit that philosophy .

What have we got ? Signing wingers when we didn’t play with wingers or number 10’s when we don’t play anyone in the hole. 
Rudderless , and that comes from the top .

He imo needs mark Ashton to do his ******* job which is negotiate contracts , nothing more, no input in transfers or managerial appointments and seek some advice from a very experienced football man on how to run the football side. Because if his dream is to get promoted before he pops his clogs , he’s got no chance as things stand. 

I’m not sure MA identifies transfers. Is he just a layer of protection for LJ built in by the Lansdowns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Why would it be ticking, come 17:00 on Saturday we will be back in the playoffs 

yea because ashton gate is such a fortress under johnson isn't it......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fanjita said:

People,,,,,,,vote with your feet Saturday 

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

I'll turn up and support as I always do, but I can tell one thing, if we go 1 down or its 0-0 at half time the little atmosphere there is at ashton gate will be toxic,

People are fed up of the shit football on show, setting up to play on the counter at home and changing to try and counter the opposition,

we should be force the opposition to change their game plan to suit us, we should be attacking not sitting back,

the football on show is worse then pulis and o'driscil combined and it can't be aloud to continue 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'll turn up and support as I always do, but I can tell one thing, if we go 1 down or its 0-0 at half time the little atmosphere there is at ashton gate will be toxic,

People are fed up of the shit football on show, setting up to play on the counter at home and changing to try and counter the opposition,

we should be force the opposition to change their game plan to suit us, we should be attacking not sitting back,

the football on show is worse then pulis and o'driscil combined and it can't be aloud to continue 

Clearing my throat already,WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH  WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH,WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH,its what we used to sing in years gone by,the old ones are the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There mite be a bit of atmosphere at AG on Saturday, albeit a toxic one.

Fans have had enough of Johnson. Can almost guarantee another pointless signing to try to deflect the negative publicity he is getting. Won’t work this time. We have had enough!

JOHNSON OUT!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 054123 said:

As much as I agree that Lee is primarily responsible, I don’t know what other coaches will be able to succeed under Lansdown and the ‘model’. Anyone with promise has to be sold and and players coming in can only be paid 20-25k. I understand why this is but it has ramifications.

A good coach will build a team, an identity and have a clear plan for the future .

Every club sells their best players and every club has a wage budget .

The ‘ model ‘ is a sound and reasonable one which many coaches succeed under . We are not unique in that way . Every club has a framework for working in.

As for LJ , he will not be going anywhere unless a) he quits or breaks down 

or b) this season of promise goes down the drain .

As I have said before all the transfer plans are in place for this window it is too late and too dangerous to change the head coach now . He will be given the time to see how  his new signings affect the team. 
 

I hope the club succeed . 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the bigger picture, like a lot of you i am frustrated my the situation we are in.We have always had great prospects, but in resent times no one to complete the jigsaw.

At the moment Chris Houghton and Neil Warnock with a cv of getting clubs like ours to the Premiership. Forget about the style of play/ identities. In a few months time Mick McCarthy ditto the above.

Do i believe the Lansdowns  would interview, employ any of these or the same type of managers,  NO.

Do i believe the Lansdowns will sack Lee over the next few weeks,  NO.

In other words same as for the future.

Steve Lansdown has done a great job with the stadium and backing Lee, and we have moved forward. But to get to the Premership i do believe neither of them a capable of doing so.

I only way forward is for someone to buy the club and take us to the promised land.I understand that is a chancy thing to do.But some times in life you have to make big decisions to move forward.Other clubs have done it with success, yes and some have not. But this is the only way out of the constant under achieving this club has seen over many years. 

Anybody feel the same?

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Looking at the bigger picture, like a lot of you i am frustrated my the situation we are in.We have always had great prospects, but in resent times no one to complete the jigsaw.

At the moment Chris Houghton and Neil Warnock with a cv of getting clubs like ours to the Premiership. Forget about the style of play/ identities. In a few months time Mick McCarthy ditto the above.

Do i believe the Lansdowns  would interview, employ any of these or the same type of managers,  NO.

Do i believe the Lansdowns will sack Lee over the next few weeks,  NO.

In other words same as for the future.

Steve Lansdown has done a great job with the stadium and backing Lee, and we have moved forward. But to get to the Premership i do believe neither of them a capable of doing so.

I only way forward is for someone to buy the club and take us to the promised land.I understand that is a chancy thing to do.But some times in life you have to make big decisions to move forward.Other clubs have done it with success, yes and some have not. But this is the only way out of the constant under achieving this club has seen over many years. 

Anybody feel the same?

Absolutely not,

with lansdown at the helm the future of the club is safe,

the footballing side of things is the responsibility of Jon Ashton and Johnson,

and 2 of the 3 are doing their job well, we need to change 1 cog and the wheel starts turning again

that cog is johnson, it was the same with his dad who is a legend in my eyes. But like with his father, things have gone stale the enjoyment is gone and a change needs to be made

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I only way forward is for someone to buy the club and take us to the promised land.I understand that is a chancy thing to do.But some times in life you have to make big decisions to move forward.Other clubs have done it with success, yes and some have not. But this is the only way out of the constant under achieving this club has seen over many years. 

Anybody feel the same?

No. Next . . . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I'll turn up and support as I always do, but I can tell one thing, if we go 1 down or its 0-0 at half time the little atmosphere there is at ashton gate will be toxic,

People are fed up of the shit football on show, setting up to play on the counter at home and changing to try and counter the opposition,

we should be force the opposition to change their game plan to suit us, we should be attacking not sitting back,

the football on show is worse then pulis and o'driscil combined and it can't be aloud to continue 

Same here Monkeh,  will be there Saturday but like a lot am getting sick of shit football from blokes who earn 100-150 times my weekly pension for a 90 minute shift, we should be the team the opposition fear but sadly this is not the case, after 62 years of going to the gate it seems we have an owner who has done so much in terms of the stadium but lacks the skill to identify a coach who can do the business on the field. Re-reading book on Harry Dolman and he refers to owners who are good in business yet when it comes to running a football team are clueless ( for older fans remember a certain Sam Longson with a certain Brian Clough !)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie I'm loving this forum at the moment. It's getting seriously frothy. Very entertaining freakouts  

Edited by Sturny
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure MA identifies transfers. Is he just a layer of protection for LJ built in by the Lansdowns?

Not sure if I'm going to make sense here but I actually wonder if half of the issue with our transfers is a gap in perception between how LJ/MA think we play and how we play in practice. I know we use a lot of data for signings but data is only as good as the person who enters or interprets it. I wonder if the problem is we've got an idea of the players we think we need to fit the system we think we play but those players then join us and struggle because we don't play the way we think we do.

As I say, not sure I'm making sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

You carry on and do that, the state of some of our ‘supporters’ is unbelievable, you’d think we’re struggling at the bottom of L2 the way some are going on.
I’ll continue to support BCFC through the good and the bad times, because that what supporters tend to do, yet those like you and there seems to be a fair few of you who think everything has to be great all of the time then after a few losses whinge until the cows come home about how bad things are at City at the moment, then want us to play a better standard of Football and most want us to bring in Warnock FFS! In reality apart from the poor home form and performances we are no doubt in the healthiest position we’ve ever been overall as a club. We’ve been through a hell of a lot worse than this, so those wanting LJ out what were your expectations this season?

Call me a Happy Clapper or whatever but I’m a realist who sees us as roundabout where we should be in this League ie pushing for the play offs, in what is imo one of if not the most competitive league there is, where it seems not 1 club is finding consistency, we are no different. We are up against clubs paying some players anything upto £80k p/w and yet some fully expect us to be challenging those sort of sides? Like it or not and I’m no LJ fanboy but we’ve improved our position for the past 5 years running and in with a good shout of improving again. Personally a change of manager (who’s even out there?) will only set us back even further from where people expect us to be during this season for sure. They’d want their own backroom staff, their own players, players having to adapt to different methods etc. 

You're absolutely right, as I've said on here before the club's currently in the best consistent position in the League it's been since we got relegated from Div 1 in 1980, and we've got a brand new stadium as well. Some supporters are never happy and wouldn't be able to cope if we actually got promoted to the Prem anyway, I'm not saying we'd go straight down but wins would be rare and we'd be in a relegation scrap again. SL's discovered that changing managers is a precarious move, LJ's one of the few recent successes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

He'd rather sack US than sack LJ. I wouldn't waste your time on this,.

This I suspect is closer to the truth than many realise.

Mr Lansdown is a very , very successful man, and will have a substantial ego, despite coming across as an all round good local geezer with his heart in the right place.

That ego will be unlikely to allow him to accept that he has gotten it wrong again, so I personally expect a similar public statement to the one a season or so back, giving total support to his man, his vision etc etc etc.

You can then take it or leave it. Fact is he didn't act when we were in danger of relegation so he isn't going to do anything when he believes we are in with a shout of promotion.

If you don't like it, then stay away from the ground but pack the local pubs because plenty of people in the area not walking through the turnstiles may cause a light to be switched on in the owners head that Bristol City fans aren't actually sheep, eternally grateful for having a nice stadium, and second division football, and realise that the spend isn't all largesse on his part.

If you accept that you must back him and the manager under any circumstances then continue attending and good for you.

Neither side is wrong, you pay your money you take your choice.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Alan Dicks You had just 5 games of the 80-81 season after taking us and keeping us up in the promised land for 4 seasons....5 games!!! Then they replaced you with Bob ‘Chris’ Houghton and we fell to pieces....but we did have Jan Moller and plenty of Champers. Ahhh, the memories. I think the remainder of the season will be shit or bust for LJ now. I think you will have to wait for the summer for this to happen though. I feel your pain though I really do!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not sure if I'm going to make sense here but I actually wonder if half of the issue with our transfers is a gap in perception between how LJ/MA think we play and how we play in practice. I know we use a lot of data for signings but data is only as good as the person who enters or interprets it. I wonder if the problem is we've got an idea of the players we think we need to fit the system we think we play but those players then join us and struggle because we don't play the way we think we do.

As I say, not sure I'm making sense...

It’s possible but unlikely, LJ would say to MA that they need a big number nine for example ( but we normally end up with several number twos ) , a big defensive midfielder and so on .

Then Ashton and his team of analysts would go out and recruit three wingers if they thought they could make money on them .

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s possible but unlikely, LJ would say to MA that they need a big number nine for example ( but we normally end up with several number twos ) , a big defensive midfielder and so on .

Then Ashton and his team of analysts would go out and recruit three wingers if they thought they could make money on them .

 

Interesting point that you have touched on there @Major Isewater

i wonder how many of out signings are simply for what we need in the side or someone that has been highlighted as having potential to sell on for a profit in the future?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing has changed in the past 10 years at the club. The only thing that has changed is 2 swanky new stands. There is no drive at the club to get to the top it seems. 

This 'long term' thing of buying and selling players does not guarantee success and is a gamble. You need experience in charge if that's how you want to run things at this level. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SL will only sack LJ if we haven't progressed from last season.

This suggests that he'll either wait until the end of the season, or if we get into a position where we've no chance of improving.

However, I think any decision of sacking will have to be qualified by things such as injuries. For example, should we have had the whole first team injured all season, then it would be, I would say, unfair to sack him for finishing one place lower than last season. Also, you have to consider the dismal football and whether things such as injuries effected it.

My view is that purely based on current league position and the chance of play-offs still being very possible, that he won't and shouldn't be sacked now. He frustrates the hell out of me but that's not a reason on its own.

If LJ gets his striker and what with the injury situation getting better, let's assume he'll have "his" team for the 2nd half of the season. I think we can truly judge then and if we don't progress, bearing in mind our position now, then SL will have a difficult time explaining if he doesn't make a change.

The next 5 games will be very telling from my point of view I think, with regards obviously results, but playing style, formations, team selection etc. Probably the most crucial set of games for LJ since his arrival.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

This I suspect is closer to the truth than many realise.

Mr Lansdown is a very , very successful man, and will have a substantial ego, despite coming across as an all round good local geezer with his heart in the right place.

That ego will be unlikely to allow him to accept that he has gotten it wrong again, so I personally expect a similar public statement to the one a season or so back, giving total support to his man, his vision etc etc etc.

You can then take it or leave it. Fact is he didn't act when we were in danger of relegation so he isn't going to do anything when he believes we are in with a shout of promotion.

If you don't like it, then stay away from the ground but pack the local pubs because plenty of people in the area not walking through the turnstiles may cause a light to be switched on in the owners head that Bristol City fans aren't actually sheep, eternally grateful for having a nice stadium, and second division football, and realise that the spend isn't all largesse on his part.

If you accept that you must back him and the manager under any circumstances then continue attending and good for you.

Neither side is wrong, you pay your money you take your choice.

 

I don’t think it’s a case of Lansdown “getting it wrong” Johnson’s been here 4 years and has done ok in terms of league position and consolidation So you can say he got it right, But as with every manager apart from the the truly great ones, time runs out on them and sometimes it’s best to part ways, Gary Johnson did well for us but his time ran out and maybe it’s time for lee as we do seem to have gone backwards (style of play wise)in a similar fashion  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

Absolutely. See you there, Saturday 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

There mite be a bit of atmosphere at AG on Saturday, albeit a toxic one.

Fans have had enough of Johnson. Can almost guarantee another pointless signing to try to deflect the negative publicity he is getting. Won’t work this time. We have had enough!

JOHNSON OUT!

There won't be any atmosphere. There never is. 

It won't be toxic. A mumble of indifference and resignation. Possibly 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

There won't be any atmosphere. There never is. 

It won't be toxic. A mumble of indifference and resignation. Possibly 

We do get lots of boos at half / full time if the result is not good

If we get to an hour or so and passes start going astray the voices of discontent will start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The opposite of love is not hate, it is leaving the Dolman on 82 minutes.

ST holders that don't turn up at all, buying no food or drink, leaving an empty red seat, for a third of a season, will rattle Steve more than being mean, and horrible, and beastly to Lee. The power of passive aggression!

The indifference instead of hate thing is a bit too subtle/passive for many though, sadly....

I disagree, me, my family and friends did t renew after 15 consecutive years (8 of us in all)...

Not one of us has has such as a phone call to ask us why?

We’re totally vindicated in our decision though because **** all’s changed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, phantom said:

We do get lots of boos at half / full time if the result is not good

If we get to an hour or so and passes start going astray the voices of discontent will start

To be fair mate, Ashton Gate has always been like that.....even when we're winning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I disagree, me, my family and friends did t renew after 15 consecutive years (8 of us in all)...

Not one of us has has such as a phone call to ask us why?

We’re totally vindicated in our decision though because **** all’s changed!

If the total number of season ticket sales at the start of this season was higher than the season before your absence won't be noted. He's looking at numbers, not individuals - in fact, his attitude all along has been a disdain for individuals, certainly lifelong supporters, because his attitude is there will always be someone else to come if you don't, probably someone new to football, a modern supporter, who's far more likely to be happy clappy and uncritical.

If at the start of next season, total season ticket sales are down by a significant number, that's when he'll start to worry.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

There won't be any atmosphere. There never is. 

It won't be toxic. A mumble of indifference and resignation. Possibly 

Ship an early goal and I'd imagine there will be significant booing. We got lucky with Luton (h) the other week as we scored early doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

There won't be any atmosphere. There never is. 

It won't be toxic. A mumble of indifference and resignation. Possibly 

They'll probably still get clapped off after a poor poor performance. 

Edited by Sturny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Absolutely not,

with lansdown at the helm the future of the club is safe,

the footballing side of things is the responsibility of Jon Ashton and Johnson,

and 2 of the 3 are doing their job well, we need to change 1 cog and the wheel starts turning again

that cog is johnson, it was the same with his dad who is a legend in my eyes. But like with his father, things have gone stale the enjoyment is gone and a change needs to be made

Don't agree with you about LJ's future, but I respect the fact you layout an actual logical argument and pop up and post in threads like this pointing out the more ridiculous things that are lever led against him and the club. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old parkender said:

I don’t think it’s a case of Lansdown “getting it wrong” Johnson’s been here 4 years and has done ok in terms of league position and consolidation So you can say he got it right, But as with every manager apart from the the truly great ones, time runs out on them and sometimes it’s best to part ways, Gary Johnson did well for us but his time ran out and maybe it’s time for lee as we do seem to have gone backwards (style of play wise)in a similar fashion  

I'm not sure doing "OK" is privately what he expected, and i'm pretty sure the rollercoaster form we have experienced for a few years under the head coach, and the associated disharmony it causes amongst the fanbase is anything like he anticipated.

I think he saw LJ leading us to the premier league, and unless we go seriously backwards, I would be astonished if he didn't stand by his appointment for the reasons I cited earlier.

I agree with you entirely that very few managers walk before they get pushed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That's a very good point.

I imagine Hughton would want a certain type of player. They'd cost a bit of money, but worse than the wages or any transfer fee, they would not have any value in the market.

We'd then have less money to buy any quality in future windows.

The way we do things can be successful. And actually Johnson has done a fantastic job in bringing in quality that improve and we can sell on for a profit.

However people may disagree with that model, that is what we do. And really there is no other sensible way of doing things.

Having said this, there are some serious questions about LJs tactics, and I don't think any supporter can be entirely happy with everything at the moment.

But I don't see the harm in seeing how he does. Look at the situation again in the summer.

Agree totally. Was saying to a friend the other day that Hughton would be my choice if lee left. Agree with peoples point about his tactics, but on the flip side I’ve witnessed the best football City has played during my 25 years as a fan. I can understand peoples reasons for wanting a change but personally I’d like to see him have till end of season to turn it around. 
 

the fact we are a streaky team is irrelevant in my eyes. We are in 8th place and 1 point off playoffs after losing our best striker to injury and having his best players sold for the last 2 seasons. If you want to be pedantic you could blame the board for not holding on to best players and splashing cash to keep them. 
 

johnson probably feels hard done by 😳😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Clearing my throat already,WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH  WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH,WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH,its what we used to sing in years gone by,the old ones are the best.

We're shit and we know we are!

More to the point and more tuneful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, he'll pay attention to money and none to internet forums or radio phone-ins. So the way to get his attention is, like you say, acres of empty red seats between now and the end of the season and then, just as importantly, non-renewal of season tickets. It's the only thing that will give him pause for thought.   

Yet despite all the moaning on here the last few years average attendances continue to rise and are now probably near an all-time high (21,763 so far this season)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Yet despite all the moaning on here the last few years average attendances continue to rise and are now probably near an all-time high (21,763 so far this season)

At least half of them are plastics nowadays. The old AG with 10K in the ground had more atmosphere than your 20oddK who just sit there looking at there phones all game. Makes my piss boil!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Yet despite all the moaning on here the last few years average attendances continue to rise and are now probably near an all-time high (21,763 so far this season)

That will definitely drop by the end of the season and next seasons tickets holders will reduce if we finish as we are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

That will definitely drop by the end of the season and next seasons tickets holders will reduce if we finish as we are.

 

People on here were saying last season that season ticket numbers would plummet this year but they didn't, the facts don't back up your argument

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

People on here were saying last season that season ticket numbers would plummet this year but they didn't, the facts don't back up your argument

No they don't but two different seasons so far and I feel we are headed for a bottom half finish. The mood is a lot worse currently compared to last season, but granted it hasn't ended yet so we will have to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

That will definitely drop by the end of the season and next seasons tickets holders will reduce if we finish as we are.

 

I don’t think so. What we will see (I’m pretty sure) is a different type of fan (aka customer) buying ST’s for the first time. It won’t be people who have grown up supporting their local club, many will be non-Bristolians who have moved onto the area and see going to Ashton Gate as ‘something to do’ at weekends. It won’t be your workmate upgrading at long last and buying a Clark’s pie on the way in.....it will be well paid home owners who will pay any price for food, drink and merchandise inside the stadium at every visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...