IGNORED

Nahki Wells - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Banjo Red

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The thought of wells playing for us isnt the problem, 4/5 million is a lot for us for any player,, and the chances are that we wont tealise any future profit for him.

thats like someone like brighton paying 40 million for vardy knowing he has no resale value,,, they would love him there but not at any cost

If prices are true it’s less than £4m for someone that could easily have 5 years left in them. He’s just about the only in form British based striker available & we could do with someone to maybe fire us to the play-offs or even promotion.

The last few seasons we’ve been crying out come January for a injection of fresh impetus & if this £4m helps to keep us where we are in the league or he can help close the 6 points gap on 2nd place, there’s no knowing how much he could help the club gain! Maybe in an ideal world if Nketiah had joined in the summer or even January we might not of needed to sign Wells or even if Afobe had managed to not have his injury, we could of been in a decent position but the truth is that we basically have one out & out striker in Diedhiou, who has been flogged for the last few months, it only takes one injury or suspension to him & we are down to Weimann & Semenyo as our on forwards!!

And then you can probably wave goodbye to any hope of the play-offs or promotion, for what looks like a maximum of a £4m outlay we are getting a Championship striker with the best stats in the league, someone who is in the prime of his career & who is scoring goals! I’m really not sure what there is to complain about? Or would prefer to sign Toney who has never performed at any form of standard in the Championship, who his club apparently want £10m + £2m in add-ons for & for him to be loaned back to Peterborough for the remainder of the season, how does that deal benefit anyone other than Peterborough?

I can only imagine the meltdown amongst City fans if we had got to 11:05pm tomorrow to find we hadn’t signed a striker at least but we are very close to arguably the best that is available for the standard we are at & it’s still not good enough for some! I really do wonder what some people expect from this club?!?

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

Personally I'd rather recall Taylor and send Semenyo out on loan, hes not ready for the Championship and could do with a loan to get some games and score some goals.

Taylor isn’t up to the championship ether,

better off giving a younger player a chance off the bench or start if for some unlucky reason fammy, wienman, Palmer and Watkins all get injured leaving us only wells

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Personally I'd rather recall Taylor and send Semenyo out on loan, hes not ready for the Championship and could do with a loan to get some games and score some goals.

Could be argued that Taylor isn’t ready for the Championship either!

6 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

If prices are true it’s less than £4m for someone that could easily have 5 years left in them. He’s just about the only in form British based striker available & we could do with someone to maybe fire us to the play-offs or even promotion.

The last few seasons we’ve been crying out come January for a injection of fresh impetus & if this £4m helps to keep us where we are in the league or he can help close the 6 points gap on 2nd place, there’s no knowing how much he could help the club gain! Maybe in an ideal world if Nketiah had joined in the summer or even January we might not of needed to sign Wells or even if Afobe had managed to not have his injury, we could of been in a decent position but the truth is that we basically have one out & out striker in Diedhiou, who has been flogged for the last few months, it only takes one injury or suspension to him & we are down to Weimann & Semenyo as our on forwards!!

And then you can probably wave goodbye to any hope of the play-offs or promotion, for what looks like a maximum of a £4m outlay we are getting a Championship striker with the best stats in the league, someone who is in the prime of his career & who is scoring goals! I’m really not sure what there is to complain about? Or would prefer to sign Toney who has never performed at any form of standard in the Championship, who his club apparently want £10m + £2m in add-ons for & for him to be loaned back to Peterborough for the remainder of the season, how does that deal benefit anyone other than Peterborough?

I can only imagine the meltdown amongst City fans if we had got to 11:05pm tomorrow to find we hadn’t signed a striker at least but we are very close to arguably the best that is available for the standard we are at & it’s still not good enough for some! I really do wonder what some people expect from this club?!?

Imagine him and Benik Afobe up front, quite a prospect if he comes back before the end of the season, wouldn't like to be Championship defenders.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Taylor isn’t up to the championship ether,

better off giving a younger player a chance off the bench or start if for some unlucky reason fammy, wienman, Palmer and Watkins all get injured leaving us only wells

As a starter no, but as an impact sub he is up to standard, he would make much more of an impact off of the bench than Semenyo. The stats between the two speak for themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

As a starter no, but as an impact sub he is up to standard, he would make much more of an impact off of the bench than Semenyo. The stats between the two speak for themselves. 

Stats suggest Taylor shouldn’t be anywhere near a championship team

id rather we develop our young players

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Stats suggest Taylor has made more of a impact off the bench than Semenyo.

Yep wish we never played Reid... he was a slightly late bloomer ... you never know! Taylor is good impact sub but if wells comes we have plenty of strikers!!

4 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Yep wish we never played Reid... he was a slightly late bloomer ... you never know! Taylor is good impact sub but if wells comes we have plenty of strikers!!

He was, but he boomed after a very good pre season where he was converted to a striker. Do I think Semenyo is suddenly going to boom over the rest of the season? No. 

If Taylor and Semenyo each made 10 sub appearances between now and the end of the season, I'd bet my house and all my savings that Taylor would get more goals, assists and win us points than Semenyo. 

He was, but he boomed after a very good pre season where he was converted to a striker. Do I think Semenyo is suddenly going to boom over the rest of the season? No. 

If Taylor and Semenyo each made 10 sub appearances between now and the end of the season, I'd bet my house and all my savings that Taylor would get more goals, assists and win us points than Semenyo. 

Taylor? Goals???? When?! 

Doesn’t matter Taylor isn’t coming back

Or thing that's interesting from this thread is that there isn't any real major dissapointment that josh is moving on, certainly not to the same extent that we saw with Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan and Aden Flint. 

Have we come to accept that this is what we do now, or are we really not super fussed that josh is moving on. For me it's the later. 

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Stats suggest Taylor shouldn’t be anywhere near a championship team

id rather we develop our young players

A goal or an assist for every 1.6 championship games played. 
Agreed, he need & should have scored more, but that record isn’t that bad overall. 

Certainly doesn’t show that “he shouldn’t be anywhere near a championship team”

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Or thing that's interesting from this thread is that there isn't any real major dissapointment that josh is moving on, certainly not to the same extent that we saw with Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan and Aden Flint. 

Have we come to accept that this is what we do now, or are we really not super fussed that josh is moving on. For me it's the later. 

Know what you mean, for me I think I feel we have good cover in midfield but sometimes you don't realise what you had until it's gone. Hopefully enough cover is in place. 

We miss some really good chances in games and hoping Wells sorts that. 

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's a good point and I think it's a bit of both. I was pretty gutted when Bryan and Flint left as they were mainstays in our team through our best period in recent history. It was worse when it was Bryan given he's Bristol born and is a good guy off the field. I was less disappointed when Bobby left as I thought we got a decent fee and was concerned that he was a one season wonder. 

I think we've all come to the point where we recognise that all players have a value and £10m is a decent fee. I think we can trust the board to reinvest the money to continue the cycle. 

To add to the discussion of his age, strikers tend to not hit their prime until after their mid 20s. It is why people still try and sign players like Giroud, Ibrahimovic and Dzeko. Wells is at the top of his game and proven in our division. No we won’t make any money in a future transfer but at the same time there probably won’t be a huge queue for him if he scores 12 goals for us the rest of the season. Signing young players is admirable but there are parts of the pitch where the best players tend to be in their late 20s. 

Archived