Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

HayBCFC

Our Vocal Support

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 7

Good job it's a football match and not a singing competition then.

On the TV our support came over better than you described above 

Safe journey home, respect for going 

• Like 4
  • Aubergine 2

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Good job it's a football match and not a singing competition then.

On the TV our support came over better than you described above 

Safe journey home, respect for going 

Not having that Phantom, you know better than most about “football fan culture” and I really don’t get turning up on a night like tonight and not giving your all to try and help the team onto victory.

Safe journey back also if you travelled.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone had a few too many. Heard it loud over the radio so must have been your section. It's like sitting in section 20 in the south stand and not hearing section 82 very well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Sounds like someone had a few too many. Heard it loud over the radio so must have been your section. It's like sitting in section 20 in the south stand and not hearing section 82 very well.

Not at all, I’m still typing fairly coherently no?

I stood over the right side of the away end in the first half, the left side of the second half.

It was a poor away end tonight, I am on a train back full of lively City and they are all saying the same.

One of them just said they hope there wasn’t an away fan cam as there wouldn’t be many highlights.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

I’ll stick my neck out on the line and say it, and I’m aware it won’t be the easiest post to read on a train back several pints down but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of Lee Johnson, anybody that knows me will tell you that, but one thing that I have always done is get behind the team during the 90 minutes. I will vent my anger after.

Tonight, despite an all standing away end which looked great was completely mute until we scored.

Johnson in or out, whether you like it or not (I don’t) the players are clearly in it for him, if you don’t believe that you only have to look at those 3/4 goal line clearances in that one attack at the end.

I’m not really sure how to articulate it in the best way but **** me we have become so small time in our support, tonight until we scored the loudest chants were along the lines of “is this a library” (whilst contributing nowt to the atmosphere) “your support is effin shit” (ours was well and truly shite).

I’ve read on here before about people that say they don’t turn up to vocally back the team etc, that’s up to you, but you only have to watch Johnson’s interviews or players interviews to realise how much the support helps the players so if you’re going to turn up why not do you part and do all you can to help the team you love?

I’m aware this post will get many “aubergine” reactions, we won, I know it will, but these thoughts were going through my head at half time so I thought I shall post it regardless.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we won, and it was a cracking night. Safe journey back everyone that travelled, but food for thought perhaps.

Ummm.

I was there and I’m not a singer.

But the singing was constant around me. Not just the “library” chant but everything else. 
Don’t know if you were near the bottom half but where I was in the top half the singing/noise was constant

And if you thought it wasn’t, and want to moan, did you start any?

(The Tannoy, however, was crap. I therefore know my hearing was fine and singing definitely happened!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ummm.

I was there and I’m not a singer.

But the singing was constant around me. Not just the “library” chant but everything else. 
Don’t know if you were near the bottom half but where I was in the top half the singing/noise was constant

And if you thought it wasn’t, and want to moan, did you start any?

(The Tannoy, however, was crap. I therefore know my hearing was fine and singing definitely happened!)

I started many mate, apart from mates around me most weren’t joined in with which is what my gripe was. Particularly first half.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, HayBCFC said:

I started many mate, apart from mates around me most weren’t joined in with which is what my gripe was. Particularly first half.

Maybe thats why you couldn't hear the very loud City support.

Came over loud and clear to me.

Didn't hear Reading at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

So what this really is about is the fact you couldn’t get a song going rather than the city support bring quiet........sounds like a classic “I’m taking my ball home” rant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m confused because you say how much of a difference it makes to the players etc & that we were quiet tonight yet we still won without making much noise, the same result as we got at home to Barnsley last time out but this time away & against arguably a better team. 
So the players don’t actually need that backing then?

And then I watch the post match interviews of Johnson, Bentley & Smith & they all state how good the support was & it was even mentioned by one of them or the guy doing the interviews about how it seemed more like a home game!

Your statement seems a little confusing & yes, I was there tonight.

• Like 1

It could have been better you're right, especially first half which was poor tbh. It definitely picked up second half though, and last 15 mins when we were defending it was pretty good. I think a few things contributed, the absolutely awful home support, literally no one there Wasn't a classic, was so boring for about an hour and the bloody piped in drum noise definitely didn't help either. 

Like I say though, it was much better at the end and an enjoyable night overall. Enjoy the win.

20 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I’m on that train in that carriage mate, speaking to the geezer now. 😂

24 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

So what this really is about is the fact you couldn’t get a song going rather than the city support bring quiet........sounds like a classic “I’m taking my ball home” rant

Not at all for crying out loud. I seriously couldn’t care if my chants catch on or not, it is what it is but our support tonight was poor vocally. I honestly think it’s suffering because of the divide over LJ, it’s been so much better in recent years.

Edited by HayBCFC

1 hour ago, HayBCFC said:

Couldn't agree more mate! I was there and sober. I brought a couple of my mates along who had never been to a city game before and was embarrassed when we were totally out sung on the divide by a band of school kids. I must give it to them, they didn't stop singing and getting behind there boys with lots of different songs. I honestly believe building an atmosphere and getting behind the lads can make a huge difference. Every chant we had (all 2 of them tonight) fizzled out quickly and sounded awful. I'm pretty sure all this noise people were saying they heard on the radio and TV must have been the home fans! It was sad to get shown up off the pitch with such a good following tonight, but a fantastic slogged out win and ultimately that's what we all came for! COYR

29 minutes ago, Prinny said:
te bef

The man himself — barely knew who we were two hours ago, and now Saturday he’s in the away end at Loftus Road :)

3BB06B6E-8ECF-42E8-80A7-EA7BC4D26526.jpeg

Edited by HayBCFC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

As Bentley said, it was almost like we were at home.

Excellent, vocal support.

Came over loud and clear, unlike the home support (all 9,000 of them).

I have to agree with the OP. Given the numbers, it was pretty quiet for long periods. 
A few songs took hold, generally Ole Ole and Cmon you reds, but not much got the whole end going. 
I was at Shrews the other week too and again the vocals were quite poor in that game. 
It wasn’t completely poor tonight, but in the past we’ve been so much louder and consistent through the game than we were tonight. 

Edited by Harry

12 minutes ago, HayBCFC said:

The man himself — barely knew who we were two hours ago, and now Saturday he’s in the away end at Loftus Road :)

Thanks for doing something fun and cool for the guy! The power of football, and positivity!

• Like 4

Yeah it wasn’t great. The songs ‘Is this a library’ and ‘Reading’s a dive, I wanna go home’ should be binned. 

We’re just not very imaginative. 

Considering that there are 10 times as many of us at home as there are away, I wish that we could generate 10 times the vocal support at home as we do away. 

The singing starts in the South Stand, then the Dolman joins in.  But why is the West Stand so quiet?

44 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

it was even mentioned by one of them or the guy doing the interviews about how it seemed more like a home game

That’s a bit harsh. I thought the atmosphere in the away and was actually pretty decent.

• Like 1

Agree completely mate. Was very quiet until the goal and only really kicked off noise-wise when we were defending resolutely. 

Hardcore singers were a little split and the reading fans constant noise from their singing section made it hard to hear when we were starting chants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Agree completely mate. Was very quiet until the goal and only really kicked off noise-wise when we were defending resolutely. 

Hardcore singers were a little split and the reading fans constant noise from their singing section made it hard to hear when we were starting chants. 

And reading is normally such a quiet pasttime.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I was on half way and to be frank we were completely out sang by Reading until the goal. Its interesting that it sounded louder on bctv. But it was quiet. 

Rangers needs a really big effort as the acoustics and ground type there are great for visiting supporters

What is it with some fans? Why do they feel the need to find something to moan about when we win? They just always have to have a moan about something! Can they not just be happy that we won and put it quite a good performance? 

I have held a long term belief that there is a small, but vocal element of our fanbase that enjoy negativity more than they enjoy us winning, posts like this back that belief up.

• Aubergine 1

7 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well in fairness, you wouldnt. They are 62 sections apart after all.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

Totally agree with OP. Considering the numbers and the fact we won that's one of the worst away supports I've been a part of. Totally out sung by Reading, even after we scored. 

Strange as it's usually a decent atmosphere at Reading. 

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Totally agree with OP. Considering the numbers and the fact we won that's one of the worst away supports I've been a part of. Totally out sung by Reading, even after we scored. 

Strange as it's usually a decent atmosphere at Reading. 

Christ, we’ve gone from being a bit quiet to “nobody joined in with my song” to now reading out-sung us!!!

i wasn’t there but find that very hard to believe 

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

Christ, we’ve gone from being a bit quiet to “nobody joined in with my song” to now reading out-sung us!!!

i wasn’t there but find that very hard to believe 

The fact you weren't there means your opinion on this specific subject is completely irrelevant 

• Haha 1

I think what has to be considered is the team performance? And by that I mean the energy that the team play with.

For months now there has been very little to get ‘bums off seats’ if you get what I mean? Our free flowing attacking football seems to of deserted us & things like having a free kick with less than a minute of the half left & about 30 yards out is the prime opportunity to get our first shot on target of the game (if my memory is correct) but instead it is played wide to our right-back & it was like the ref had even decided that if we aren’t going to bother then why should bother to stand out there anymore & off went the whistle for halftime.

It felt like we were going for the game plan of not conceding & still being 0-0 at 79 minutes & then we might have a chance again until we scored early.

The team have to be held responsible as well by giving the fans a reason to get excited, despite fans being allowed to stand throughout the game, many around me were sitting down intermittently because they were bored with the football & no amount of singing is going to kick the players into action.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

The fact you weren't there means your opinion on this specific subject is completely irrelevant 

This thread is pretty interesting, those who went agree with me, those who didn’t seem to be offended by the suggestion that it was poor last night.

Football fans ay?

• Like 1

Caught 20 mins on the radio in the first half and you guys were coming through. Wouldn’t say consistently loud but not as bad as the OP suggested. I can’t comment on anything else from last night.

Always throughly on balance we do well for away support in terms of being vocal. Was at Brum and thought we were good there, few appearances on the tv I’ve seen and felt similar. 

Bit of a knee jerk this to me. Think a bit of context too, the poorer brand of football despite the results and lack of signings etc doesn’t exactly inspire feel good because we are all expecting us to falter again. Not exactly party atmosphere type stuff!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

"We have become so small time in our support"

In our vocal support, yes, we have, sadly. Not that we were ever "big time" for this - other than on the odd or big occasion - years ago, neither were we ever this bad. 

We have become so quiet and docile, so passive, vocally. So bland! So comfortable, in our comfortable seats, with our perfect, unobstructed view of the action and the wonderful, comforting amenities now easily available just a short walk away, on the concourse, from where you can watch the action. Or better still, stay at home, find the relevant stream, watch from as far as possible and never make a peep in support of your team.

Plump up the cushions....

• Like 2

I watched on Robins TV and all I could hear were the Reading fans in their singing section. I think some people watching or listening on the radio have mistaken

them for City songs. Was very surprised as Reading fans are normally so quiet, just shows what can happen when the singing section are next to the away fans....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deadratinmycider said:

I watched on Robins TV and all I could hear were the Reading fans in their singing section. I think some people watching or listening on the radio have mistaken

them for City songs. Was very surprised as Reading fans are normally so quiet, just shows what can happen when the singing section are next to the away fans....

Reading fans were far from loud mate, I can assure you.

Most embarrassing game I’ve been to as an away fan, for them to only turn up in those numbers at home was mind boggling to me & I have to wonder how they are able to comply with FFP & continue to sign players for the fee of what they supposedly paid for Lucas Joao.

So strange how the same evening and experience can be interpreted so differently.

I was near the corner and thought we were pretty good! Didn’t hear reading consistently at all like some people saying? So weird. We were good, thought the support for each player was there and present, well done all 

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Reading fans were far from loud mate, I can assure you.

Most embarrassing game I’ve been to as an away fan, for them to only turn up in those numbers at home was mind boggling to me & I have to wonder how they are able to comply with FFP & continue to sign players for the fee of what they supposedly paid for Lucas Joao.

That's strange. As I said, they were loud and clear on Robins TV, guess it can sometimes depends on where the microphones are placed.

• Like 1

I would agree with the OP that it was struggle last night but not dire.  A few factors such as Reading having the guile to put their 'noisy' (I use that word loosely) home support in the same end, along with a drum beat which seemed to sap any enthusiasm from the City contingent. I would also say we didn't have our range of songs we have had from years back. Certainly songs didn't travel to where we were standing front left. Genuine question but is it the same core who start songs or is it random for anybody who has the desire and a few mates to back them up? If it is down to a few ring leaders to get the songs going? Have they changed in personnel? Have our old guard retired and handed over to a younger element? 

Readings home support was pitiful in quantity and looked to be made up almost entirely of teenagers next to us but they did get behind their team consistently, even when they went 1-0 down.

21 minutes ago, deadratinmycider said:

That's strange. As I said, they were loud and clear on Robins TV, guess it can sometimes depends on where the microphones are placed.

I was going to say the same thing, microphone placement could play a huge part.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"We have become so small time in our support"

In our vocal support, yes, we have, sadly. Not that we were ever "big time" for this - other than on the odd or big occasion - years ago, neither were we ever this bad. 

We have become so quiet and docile, so passive, vocally. So bland! So comfortable, in our comfortable seats, with our perfect, unobstructed view of the action and the wonderful, comforting amenities now easily available just a short walk away, on the concourse, from where you can watch the action. Or better still, stay at home, find the relevant stream, watch from as far as possible and never make a peep in support of your team.

Plump up the cushions....

Light up . crack open a bottle of beer.  Laavley! Whats not to like ....maybe the football?

Btw op absolutely right also our football was not inspiring again.

9 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

He better ******* sing now !

I hear the argument about the uninspiring football, it's a point I have raised before and those that know me will know that I love a moan about football, but what's the point in standing there in silence? 

The way I see it is that you've spent the money to travel and for entertainment so if the football isn't doing it for you why not have fun in the stands which may have an impact on the pitch. If you don't believe atmosphere correlates to on the pitch matters I urge any of you to watch the "EFL Classic" Leeds 2-2 Bristol City which is often shown on Sky, I'd honestly not seen anything like it for a long time.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, daored said:

He better ******* sing now !

You needn't worry mate, we taught him the whole repertoire on the train home last night.

Piss. Less of it. Lot less lads than normal x alcohol. Short journey like this normally means hours of drinking. Not many on the train early and not many in vans either.