Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Whites

Ian Wright

Apparently sticking to his word about visiting the Gate after the recent interview on 5 live with LJ, I've been told he's coming down on Wednesday.

Edited by Whites
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Whites said:

Apparently sticking to his word about visiting the Gate after the recent interview on 5 live with LJ., I've been told he's coming down on Wednesday.

So match day... interesting

Edited by AppyDAZE

Top bloke is Wrighty - I recently watched the BT Sport film about him and David Rocastle growing up together - what a lovely genuine guy Ian Wright is - hope he enjoys his trip to The Gate ... this sums up Wrighty perfectly:

• Like 8

An average pundit who assisted in ruining a massive loan deal (that was at medical ready stage) based on no knowledge of our club or our facilities and everybody wants to kiss his arse.  Weird.

Still I’m sure his wise words in his short visit will suddenly turn Fam into a world beater.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Aubergine 3

1 hour ago, Meh said:

An average pundit who assisted in ruining a massive loan deal (that was at medical ready stage) based on no knowledge of our club or our facilities and everybody wants to kiss his arse.  Weird.

Still I’m sure his wise words in his short visit will suddenly turn Fam into a world beater.

Or, a great striker in his time, who talks passionately about the game that he loves.

Yet you still use this thread to have a dig at a current City player, Weird.

Edited by Whites
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Whites said:

Or, a great striker in his time, who talks passionately about the game that he loves.

Yet you still use this thread to have a dig at a current City player, Weird.

Hardly a dig at Fam is it? He is a tryer but not a natural goal scorer.and has been coached by good quality coaches for years who have improved him but natural finishing ability is there or it is not surely?.

I don’t see how an hour talk from Ian Wright is going to make a massive difference is a valid point to make and to reference our main striker to make a point  is not having a dig.

I just don’t get the enthusiasm to have him here after what he did - make no mistake his “informed” advice he freely admits giving may be the reason we do not make the top 6 as a clinical striker feeding off Palmer is what we need (and saw bits of with Benik)

Ian Wright is nothing but a passionate fool who did us no favours yet we roll out the red carpet - madness.

Edited by Meh
  • Confused 2
  • Rovers 4

2 hours ago, Meh said:

Hardly a dig at Fam is it? He is a tryer but not a natural goal scorer.and has been coached by good quality coaches for years who have improved him but natural finishing ability is there or it is not surely?.

I don’t see how an hour talk from Ian Wright is going to make a massive difference is a valid point to make and to reference our main striker to make a point  is not having a dig.

I just don’t get the enthusiasm to have him here after what he did - make no mistake his “informed” advice he freely admits giving may be the reason we do not make the top 6 as a clinical striker feeding off Palmer is what we need (and saw bits of with Benik)

Ian Wright is nothing but a passionate fool who did us no favours yet we roll out the red carpet - madness.

Appropriate sobriquet ..............Meh

2 hours ago, Meh said:

How to change his opinion? Having him visit the rebuilt Gate and seeing what our club has become is surely the best way? We're a long way from the BCFC of a few years ago and seeing the change in person will, hopefully, change his opinion for the future.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Top bloke is Wrighty - I recently watched the BT Sport film about him and David Rocastle growing up together - what a lovely genuine guy Ian Wright is - hope he enjoys his trip to The Gate ... this sums up Wrighty perfectly:

Watched that too .

Pretty emotional..

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

How to change his opinion? Having him visit the rebuilt Gate and seeing what our club has become is surely the best way? We're a long way from the BCFC of a few years ago and seeing the change in person will, hopefully, change his opinion for the future.

Maybe.  But, just a shame he has given an uneducated opinion in the first place and ruined our chances.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Meh said:

Maybe.  But, just a shame he has given an uneducated opinion in the first place and ruined our chances.

Have you not considered the possibility of supplying Wright with an educated view could lead to positive conversations in the future (hell, perhaps even with Nketiah). 

Or should we just take the stubborn stance and never engage with influential players because they’ve not understood us in the past. 

One option is taking positive steps forward. The other is standing still. What would you prefer? 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Have you not considered the possibility of supplying Wright with an educated view could lead to positive conversations in the future (hell, perhaps even with Nketiah). 

Or should we just take the stubborn stance and never engage with influential players because they’ve not understood us in the past. 

One option is taking positive steps forward. The other is standing still. What would you prefer? 

So you have said basically the same as @Ska Junkie - I have replied starting with “maybe” in acceptance of the justified point and you have quoted my reply making the same point.

Ironic you mention standing still - beats going round and round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meh said:

So you have said basically the same as @Ska Junkie - I have replied starting with “maybe” in acceptance of the justified point and you have quoted my reply making the same point.

Ironic you mention standing still - beats going round and round.

Yep. The reply of “maybe” seemed to suggest that you still weren’t convinced. So I thought I’d press the point. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately Ian Wright cost us a player. However Afobe was better it was just a shame the way it turned out. 

So yeah do I think Ian Wright is a ****, yep, not half as much as Eddie Wotsisname does though!

18 hours ago, Meh said:

We can all understand why you would think signing for Bristol City would be the same thing since sliced bread, but if you think an informed Wright, or anyone else, would recommend it over going to work with one of the worlds best football coaches that’s a bit more of a stretch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but working with Bielsa at a team who finished in the POs last season, or LJ (nothing against him) at a team that didn’t.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

We can all understand why you would think signing for Bristol City would be the same thing since sliced bread, but if you think an informed Wright, or anyone else, would recommend it over going to work with one of the worlds best football coaches that’s a bit more of a stretch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but working with Bielsa at a team who finished in the POs last season, or LJ (nothing against him) at a team that didn’t.

Leeds are evidently a bigger club ( at the moment) and , if we put our prejudices to one side , it is pretty obvious that most footballers would prefer to play for them. 

The work we are doing now is fantastic in changing the perception of our club in the world and I am happy to have the promise of potential glory instead of the weight of past glories hanging round our necks.

Nketiah is a rare talent, it’s a shame we missed out but on the other hand it shows that we can identify a player .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Leeds are evidently a bigger club ( at the moment) and , if we put our prejudices to one side , it is pretty obvious that most footballers would prefer to play for them. 

The work we are doing now is fantastic in changing the perception of our club in the world and I am happy to have the promise of potential glory instead of the weight of past glories hanging round our necks.

Nketiah is a rare talent, it’s a shame we missed out but on the other hand it shows that we can identify a player .

Well, it shows Arsenal can identify a player.

All we identified was a loan opportunity.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Gmac said:

Hopefully we give a good advert for championship football for him tonight

EC0D8ADF-D92E-4941-9457-838378807D44.jpeg

Superb reply from the club to this tweet too - asking Wrighty which variant of Thatcher’s he wanted! 

Wrighty must be kicking himself that he sent Eddie to play in that awful Leeds team when he could be playing with this lot and having 10 behind the ball every game at home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wrighty must be kicking himself that he sent Eddie to play in that awful Leeds team when he could be playing with this lot and having 10 behind the ball every game at home. 

"Soporific First half'... Hope Wrighty didn't nod off,  give him a nudge just incase, could be livening up this half.

If anything that game actually showed how good we could be if we had someone to bury chances at the moment, probably would have stuck away 3 or 4

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hodge said:

If anything that game actually showed how good we could be if we had someone to bury chances at the moment, probably would have stuck away 3 or 4

He would have also seen our willingness to play a 21 and 22 year old in the back 4, an 18 year old in midfield and a 19 year old striker, that must have registered with him.  Anyone seen any comments on social media?

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 16:26, ExiledAjax said:

Wrighty's at the Gate tonight!

I had a pepperoni pizza slice, apple danish and a tea from Greggs at Victoria Coach station before getting on the Megabus. Top nosh!

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Bumped into him after the game in the VIP area he was very complimentary about our team and performance 

Can you elaborate mate?

Think Semenyo would do well with a couple hours with Wrighty 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Can you elaborate mate?

Think Semenyo would do well with a couple hours with Wrighty 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Take it he didn't see the game then

He was talking about the fight and never say die attitude we had last night. 

For an ex pro he was one of the politest and down to earth ex sportsman I have ever met.

Happily posing for pictures etc

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

He was talking about the fight and never say die attitude we had last night. 

For an ex pro he was one of the politest and down to earth ex sportsman I have ever met.

Happily posing for pictures etc

sound to hear! 

Leeds Live have updated this story, below and https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/ian-wright-talks-up-bristol-17138404 which includes a hilarious comment from the occupant of a village that's missing an idiot.

Ian Wright talks up Bristol City amid Robins interest in Eddie Nketiah

The striker is yet to make his first league start for Leeds United after joining on loan in August

By Aidan McCartney 08:00, 25 OCT 2019

Arsenal legend Ian Wright admits he is impressed with the work Lee Johnson is doing at Bristol City amid speculation about Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah.

The 20-year-old is currently on a season-long loan at Leeds United after taking advice from Wright who recommended him to move to Elland Road over Ashton Gate.

Nketiah is yet to make his first league start for Leeds but has impressed off the bench, netting his five goal on the loan spell with a last-gasp equaliser against Preston North End on Tuesday night.

Bristol City are thought to be interested in signing the England under-21 international should the Gunners decide to exercise their recall option in January as they look for more regular game time.

Wright's influence in persuading the youngster to join Leeds saw Johnson inviting the Match of the Day pundit to watch Bristol City in action while on national radio. He took up the offer as they defeated Charlton Athletic 2-1 on Wednesday night.

And it seems that the former striker believes that the Robins are on the right track, as reported by Bristol Live.

He said: "Lee came on the Monday Night Club and we were talking about Eddie Nketiah.

"Everyone’s talking about the fact I advised him to go to Leeds but what I said to him was that he’ll score goals at both of those clubs, it depends on the level of pressure you want to put on yourself in respect of having to score those goals.

"In the end he chose Leeds but at the same time, you know what happened with Tammy Abraham and how they create chances here.

"The main reason I came down was because of the atmosphere I’ve heard about, Lee said to me himself that I should come down and sample it, see what it’s about.

"I had to come down so I can now make my judgement off the experience I’ve had down here.

"It’s been really good, outside is really nice and the stadium’s fantastic, it really, really is."

Leeds fans will now be hoping to see much more of Nketiah with Marcelo Bielsa facing renewed calls to start the talent when the Whites face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.Share:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

It looks to me that Ian Wright has been bought by Johnson. To take Nketiah away from the biggest club in the Championship Leeds Utd would be the wrong move Ian Wright. Nketiah will learn more from Bielsa than he could ever learn from Johnson. Bielsa has forgotten more about the game than rookie Johnson will ever know. Has for the Bristol stadium.... Well that's laughable. Bristol play in front of 20,000 at best. Elland Road is a sell out every match 35,000. Something that Bristol cannot do, they just don't have the stadium or enough fans. ER is one of the best stadiums in England for atmosphere. If Arsenal do recall Nketiah can we have our £4 million loan fee back please.
Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Leeds Live have updated this story, below and https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/ian-wright-talks-up-bristol-17138404 which includes a hilarious comment from the occupant of a village that's missing an idiot.

The striker is yet to make his first league start for Leeds United after joining on loan in August

Arsenal legend Ian Wright admits he is impressed with the work Lee Johnson is doing at Bristol City amid speculation about Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah.

The 20-year-old is currently on a season-long loan at Leeds United after taking advice from Wright who recommended him to move to Elland Road over Ashton Gate.

Nketiah is yet to make his first league start for Leeds but has impressed off the bench, netting his five goal on the loan spell with a last-gasp equaliser against Preston North End on Tuesday night.

Bristol City are thought to be interested in signing the England under-21 international should the Gunners decide to exercise their recall option in January as they look for more regular game time.

Wright's influence in persuading the youngster to join Leeds saw Johnson inviting the Match of the Day pundit to watch Bristol City in action while on national radio. He took up the offer as they defeated Charlton Athletic 2-1 on Wednesday night.

And it seems that the former striker believes that the Robins are on the right track, as reported by Bristol Live.

He said: "Lee came on the Monday Night Club and we were talking about Eddie Nketiah.

"Everyone’s talking about the fact I advised him to go to Leeds but what I said to him was that he’ll score goals at both of those clubs, it depends on the level of pressure you want to put on yourself in respect of having to score those goals.

"In the end he chose Leeds but at the same time, you know what happened with Tammy Abraham and how they create chances here.

"The main reason I came down was because of the atmosphere I’ve heard about, Lee said to me himself that I should come down and sample it, see what it’s about.

"I had to come down so I can now make my judgement off the experience I’ve had down here.

"It’s been really good, outside is really nice and the stadium’s fantastic, it really, really is."

Leeds fans will now be hoping to see much more of Nketiah with Marcelo Bielsa facing renewed calls to start the talent when the Whites face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.Share:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

It looks to me that Ian Wright has been bought by Johnson. To take Nketiah away from the biggest club in the Championship Leeds Utd would be the wrong move Ian Wright. Nketiah will learn more from Bielsa than he could ever learn from Johnson. Bielsa has forgotten more about the game than rookie Johnson will ever know. Has for the Bristol stadium.... Well that's laughable. Bristol play in front of 20,000 at best. Elland Road is a sell out every match 35,000. Something that Bristol cannot do, they just don't have the stadium or enough fans. ER is one of the best stadiums in England for atmosphere. If Arsenal do recall Nketiah can we have our £4 million loan fee back please.

How arrogant is that Leeds fan? Get off your high horse pal!

3 minutes ago, Sturman 1 said:

How arrogant is that Leeds fan? Get off your high horse pal!

That's Leeds for you.

22 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

Ah, yes Johnson. Who coached Tammy Abraham... Who is now the joint premier league top goalscorer this year. Along side a certain Aguero... 

HE KNOWS NOTHING. 

Strange Leeds fans. Strange.

• Like 1