Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lez

Massengo

Recommended Posts

Is not the answer when playing at home.

Holds on the ball far too long, neither effective defensively or going forward.

Honeymoon period is over, he was badly exposed today and offered very very little. I hope Henrickson gets up to speed quickly.

Massengo and Smith is not a CM partnership that will push us to promotion.....too negative, too lightweight, zero creativity, little physicality, zero goal threat.....teams crowd the midfield at the gate....that's what away teams do.....these 2 in a 2 is gena result on being dominated as was the case today.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lez said:

Weimann dire too. 

They both should have come off at half time. Surprised when they didn't and even more surprised when they didn't for the first subs. Bizarre from Johnson imo

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our superior central midfielder is out on loan for the season. Happy days. When Smith got the ball in midfield he is waving his arms for support. BUT standing still. You create passing alternatives by your own forward movement. Not calling back Morrell was a hughe mistake.   

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

They both should have come off at half time. Surprised when they didn't and even more surprised when they didn't for the first subs. Bizarre from Johnson imo

Amazed to know what LJ saw in that first half and thought it was working.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was very poor until he went to wing back which seemed to suit him more.

Really? Thought he stropped and refused to do what he needed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Total vanity project, most posters absolutely creaming their pants about this guy during the first few games. I remember getting about 10 aubergines for stating a 70% pass percentage wasnt great.

He could be great in future, is not currently a Championship level player despite some good games and the overreaction has probably been damaging to his development.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young player, undoubted potential but a lot to learn. When you have 3 seasoned international midfielders on the bench plus a £3m midfielder who cannot make the squad LJ has an embarrassment of ritches and needs to better many his choices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, James54De said:

Really? Thought he stropped and refused to do what he needed to. 

Not saying he was great there but he was far worse when on the wing imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

Thought he was useless at wing-back, but that is entirely not his fault...

Playing Weimann and Eliasson as wing backs says it all really.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I said early on in the season people were going way OTT about him. Not the answer at the moment.

I've not been impressed by him. Because he's 18 and has big hair he gets attention. I think Joe Morrell would do a better job for us in midfield in that position. Send him out on loan next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another that needs to be plugged into a ‘power point’. 

We can afford one, maximum two ‘lightweights’ in any team.

Basically, Dasilva plus one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lez said:

Is not the answer when playing at home.

Holds on the ball far too long, neither effective defensively or going forward.

Honeymoon period is over, he was badly exposed today and offered very very little. I hope Henrickson gets up to speed quickly.

Massengo and Smith is not a CM partnership that will push us to promotion.....too negative, too lightweight, zero creativity, little physicality, zero goal threat.....teams crowd the midfield at the gate....that's what away teams do.....these 2 in a 2 is gena result on being dominated as was the case today.

Not bad for and 18 year old though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lez said:

Is not the answer when playing at home.

Holds on the ball far too long, neither effective defensively or going forward.

Honeymoon period is over, he was badly exposed today and offered very very little. I hope Henrickson gets up to speed quickly.

Massengo and Smith is not a CM partnership that will push us to promotion.....too negative, too lightweight, zero creativity, little physicality, zero goal threat.....teams crowd the midfield at the gate....that's what away teams do.....these 2 in a 2 is gena result on being dominated as was the case today.

Imo he is totally overrated and  brings nothing to the side at all.

  • Rovers 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a very talented and promising midfielder.

But he is not ready now.

We should have got Joe Morrell back from loan. And possibly also Liam Walsh if we want to give one midfield spot to a promising young player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lez said:

Rather have Liam Walsh in there as another poster mentioned earlier.

I think Walsh is a fantastic talent but he would not fit into LJ tactics of slow build up, pass and supposedly move. Walsh like to attack and drive teams forward, no chance he would be able to do this in the current home tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid has talent no doubt, but playing him in that position so attacking despite being an defensive midfielder is absolutely crazy. He needs a loan come next season, one of the better league one teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he’s good, he’s good. When he plays like that, he looks far out of his depth it’s unbelievable.

He needs to be involved but that’s not a game to be starting him in.

Edited by David Brent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He was very poor until he went to wing back which seemed to suit him more.

I thought Weimann was OK as wing back, but that might be because Birmingham sat very deep in the latter stages of the match. I think the issue is why, after all this time, has LJ decided that he’s a wing back?  He was bought to play as a central striker, then shunted out to the wing, recently played who knows where, and now wing back. I’m sure this illustrates LJ’s confused thinking when it comes to deciding on consistent formation / tactics to employ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

The kid has talent no doubt, but playing him in that position so attacking despite being an defensive midfielder is absolutely crazy. He needs a loan come next season, one of the better league one teams.

Frankly that says it all about our current malaise

He is WAY better than league one, he should be learning and improving in our midfield...

Sadly, we don't have one...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what type of player he is, is he a ball winner, a ball player? Someone who carries the ball? His best early season form suggest he is similar to Korey in terms of has a lot of energy around the pitch, breaks up play and picks up a lot of fouls to get us out of difficult situations. But I haven't seen that in his game for a while.

Him and Smith are too similar in that sense and don't work in a partnership at home when you need to take the impetus, get your foot on the ball and actually making forward thinking passes. That doesn't seem to be their game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Massengo and Weimann shouldn’t be in the team at the moment. 

Massengo clearly a talent but needs to bulk up. 

Weimann can be great but last 2 months has offered almost nothing except running. Time for a rest. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s strong on the ball,  great ability,  just hasn’t got to grips with the Championship as of yet.  Players that arrive from different cultures and leagues don’t always hit the ground running.  Sometimes it takes time to settle in. 
He is one for the future and now, just not starting ever game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must agree with with paul fox said, id bring back morrel.

Massengo clearly isnt ready for this leauge,.

Gets muscled off the ball way too easy.

I really cantsee what he brings to the midfield.

Edited by Oh Louie louie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a very long time our midfield was built on the Pack/Brownhill axis. Losing one of them weakened us - hence LJ’s remarks of a couple of months ago about needing some height and physicality in there - but losing the other half of the partnership now leaves a huge vacuum. Korey will work his socks off to try to compensate, as well as providing some seniority and leadership, but he can’t do it on his own and needs someone in there with him, which is presumably why Henriksen has been signed. We must hope he gets up to speed pretty quickly, having hardly played so far this season, because neither Nagy nor Massengo currently have the presence or authority to fill the boots of the pair we’ve sold. And that’s why people have been pointing out on other recent threads the inherent difficulty in the philosophy by which the club is run, which requires that we sell at regular intervals and leaves LJ doing the job, to repeat a much-quoted phrase, “with one hand tied behind his back “.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder who the couple of players LJ mentioned in his post match interview, as making him 'really angry' were? I can think of a couple or so myself...............Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

He rarely had any options in front of him.

That was the crux of the problem with the whole team. There was absolutely zero movement for anyone in possession. Zero options ahead means you dwell on the ball too long or have to go backwards. HNM did look a bit out of his depth last night but he was never helped by team mates lack of movement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I do wonder who the couple of players LJ mentioned in his post match interview, as making him 'really angry' were? I can think of a couple or so myself...............Any thoughts?

Probably 2 of the 3 he took off. No sense saying that and leaving them on. Could have been one or two of the substitutes though. 
IMO Weinman, Massengo were abysmally poor with Nagy, Wells and Benkovic not much (if any) better when they came on so perhaps he was angry with them for not following his instructions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

I think he is indeed a very decent player and will go on to much bigger and better things...

Right now, we have simply dragged him down to our standard...

He looks over-coached to me. Early on he was playing with a lot more freedom and look better for it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lez said:

Is not the answer when playing at home.

Holds on the ball far too long, neither effective defensively or going forward.

Honeymoon period is over, he was badly exposed today and offered very very little. I hope Henrickson gets up to speed quickly.

Massengo and Smith is not a CM partnership that will push us to promotion.....too negative, too lightweight, zero creativity, little physicality, zero goal threat.....teams crowd the midfield at the gate....that's what away teams do.....these 2 in a 2 is gena result on being dominated as was the case today.

Thought HNM was one of the few positives last night.  Massively let down by others around him last night.  He is a player who likes to pop short passes around.  What’s he meant to do when everyone runs away from him.  Eliasson stood out on the left wing   next to his RB marker, giving no option for a pass.  He never dragged his marker short to leave space in the gap for Diedhiou to run into.  He never dragged his marker deep to give room for Dasilva.  He just stood there, easily marked.  Paterson rarely came back into the midfield for give and goes.  22 touches all game, 18 only v QPR....against a more fluid 33 in 77 minutes v Reading where he came short, and helped out midfield play.  I hope the last couple of games aren’t a revert to type where we see inconsistency.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

That was the crux of the problem with the whole team. There was absolutely zero movement for anyone in possession. Zero options ahead means you dwell on the ball too long or have to go backwards. HNM did look a bit out of his depth last night but he was never helped by team mates lack of movement.

 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought HNM was one of the few positives last night.  Massively let down by others around him last night.  He is a player who likes to pop short passes around.  What’s he meant to do when everyone runs away from him.  Eliasson stood out on the left wing   next to his RB marker, giving no option for a pass.  He never dragged his marker short to leave space in the gap for Diedhiou to run into.  He never dragged his marker deep to give room for Dasilva.  He just stood there, easily marked.  Paterson rarely came back into the midfield for give and goes.  22 touches all game, 18 only v QPR....against a more fluid 33 in 77 minutes v Reading where he came short, and helped out midfield play.  I hope the last couple of games aren’t a revert to type where we see inconsistency.

I didn`t think he did too badly under the circumstances - he seemed to be able to hold his opponent off a few times and didn`t get bullied as much as some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Could Tommy Rowe do a job in midfield? Gets stuck in and pretty sure he did OK going forward at Doncaster in midfield albeit at a lower level 

Definitely an option, probably a player better suited to away games or closing out a lead though.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HNM's position is the same as Korey Smith so with Korey playing regularly he's been pushed further forward, He's doing his best but as others have said there's no movement from our forwards at home games so there's nobody to pass to, I still think he's remarkable for his age and will be a star in the future for sure. If we get Afobe back it will make his job easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I don't know what type of player he is, is he a ball winner, a ball player? Someone who carries the ball? His best early season form suggest he is similar to Korey in terms of has a lot of energy around the pitch, breaks up play and picks up a lot of fouls to get us out of difficult situations. But I haven't seen that in his game for a while.

Him and Smith are too similar in that sense and don't work in a partnership at home when you need to take the impetus, get your foot on the ball and actually making forward thinking passes. That doesn't seem to be their game.

 

 

There was a lack of movement in front. To many players standing by their markers. Forward players all in a line. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's no use doubting the ability of Nagy and Massengo because we've already seen evidence of their talents. 

There has been a decline in their performance levels though, and that's more difficult to put a finger on. Nagy likely related to his injury issue. Massengo is young and learning, perhaps facing new pressures etc.

But they're quality players at this level at their best. Morrell, Walsh and Bakinson have the potential to be that too.

LJ has the challenge of getting the best out of them.

Edited by mozo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...