Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Up The City!

Rooney (Merged)

So with Wayne Rooneys Derby coming to town next week, what sort of reaction will he get at the gate?

Personally I'd be tempted to give him a little clap pre match for his England achievements but after that he gets 90 mins of abuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Unicorn 1
  • Rovers 3

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So with Wayne Rooneys Derby coming to town next week, what sort of reaction will he get at the gate?

Personally I'd be tempted to give him a little clap pre match for his England achievements but after that he gets 90 mins of abuse.

I doubt he'll get much of a reception really, no history with our club. Probably get slightly louder jeers if he makes a mistake given his profile but that's about it.

I think he was a brilliant player, seemed to peak far too early though. 

I'd be totally disinterested in Rooney or any Derby player. Wells, on the other hand...

• Like 1

If we're winning and he's subbed off, can imagine he'll get applauded off the pitch like Crouch got. 

Only been subbed once for them though, in a game they won 4-0. So doubt he'll get any reaction at all. 

50 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

If you want to give him the clap pre game, you carry on, anything that limits his performance on the pitch....

• Haha 8

ugly, granny poking, thieving has-been. 

Further, played in the generation when international football totally lost its magic. Never cared for him, care for him even less now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Snake 1

58 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Are you the sort of person that stands with a sign saying ROONEY CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

All the old Dorises will be throwing their drawers on the pitch.

By the sounds of it one young City supporting lad too !!

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I doubt he'll get much of a reception really, no history with our club. Probably get slightly louder jeers if he makes a mistake given his profile but that's about it.

I think he was a brilliant player, seemed to peak far too early though. 

He peeked to early because he started so young.

Reasonable applause for his achievements for England at the start then put Massengo on him and make him go dizzy with his energy and bite. He won't cope. 

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The same as any other opposition player with no connection to us, complete indifference.

Booing him would look a bit tinpot mind.

It maybe so that he has no direct connection to Bristol City, but as England's leading all time leading goal scorer he does have a connection to us England supporters. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

It would be classless and tinpot, not to give the guy an appreciative round of applause, for his England career. 
During the 90 mins, he’s just an opposition player. But either side of that, I’ll acknowledge his achievements with a clap and hope it reflects well on our club amongst other high profile players. 

• Like 4

He is already getting a reaction. He is the only reason some will be attending. The company I work part share a executive twelve seat box there is a waiting list from all who use it since Rooney joined Derby!!

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It maybe so that he has no direct connection to Bristol City, but as England's leading all time leading goal scorer he does have a connection to us England supporters. 

Having been sat in the stands for his performances v Algeria in Cape Town 2010, and v Iceland in Nice 2016, he gets no free pass, or special dispensation from me.

And in any event, Bristol City > England all day, every day.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Personally, I shall applaud him onto the pitch for his services to hair transplants and for giving hope to baldies. 

And cock to grannies.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Personally, I shall applaud him onto the pitch for his services to hair transplants and for giving hope to baldies. 

and Grannies

• Haha 1

I don’t think his England stuff is relevant to me in a City match v Derby.  Will be applauding City players, and if Derby player, Rooney or not, does something brilliant I’ll acknowledge it.

I do hate “Wayne Rooney’s Derby County”. When it was Lampard, although it annoyed me, he was the manager, so it made sense.

Wouldn't mind Rooney getting a 32Red!!!!

• Like 1

I was talking to my 8 year old about Rooney this morning as he said that he hoped he’d get injured/sent off Saturday and not be able to play.

The point I made to him is that although we go to see City, hope City win and frankly hope Rooney has a stinker, the fact is he’d still be seeing England’s all time top scorer on our pitch. I remember seeing Gullit play at AG, Suarez etc and those are moments of “I saw them”. We all have them with Gazza, Charlton, Matthews or whoever you rate - the names that transcend football. 

Fact is, Rooney didn’t fulfil his potential and his off pitch antics are questionable. But he’s in the conversation as the best English player in the last 20 years, and is the all time top scorer for the country’s biggest club and the national team.

Reception? Will I applaud him - nah, it’s not a farewell tour. Do I want him to have a mare - yes, I’m City. But will I be glad to say I’ve seen him - yep.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

So with Wayne Rooneys Derby coming to town next week, what sort of reaction will he get at the Honey Pot

Wayne Rooney can get in the sea quite frankly after his performance at the World Cup in SA in 2010. He was never that good anyway.  

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 3

I’m looking forward to seeing him and watching him play. But I’m more concerned about us getting the 3 points and hopefully giving Derby a good thrashing as I thoroughly dislike them (anyone remember the last home game of last season ?). 

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was talking to my 8 year old about Rooney this morning as he said that he hoped he’d get injured/sent off Saturday and not be able to play.

The point I made to him is that although we go to see City, hope City win and frankly hope Rooney has a stinker, the fact is he’d still be seeing England’s all time top scorer on our pitch. I remember seeing Gullit play at AG, Suarez etc and those are moments of “I saw them”. We all have them with Gazza, Charlton, Matthews or whoever you rate - the names that transcend football. 

Fact is, Rooney didn’t fulfil his potential and his off pitch antics are questionable. But he’s in the conversation as the best English player in the last 20 years, and is the all time top scorer for the country’s biggest club and the national team.

Reception? Will I applaud him - nah, it’s not a farewell tour. Do I want him to have a mare - yes, I’m City. But will I be glad to say I’ve seen him - yep.

Captured my thoughts exactly. 

He's just an opponent like any other, so no need to single him out for any kind of reception.

But also a pleasure to witness an undoubted England Legend make his second appearance at the gate. 

I saw him play in 2001 in an u17 international against Spain if memory serves me

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

All the old Dorises will be throwing their drawers on the pitch.

No I won't !!

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

He is already getting a reaction. He is the only reason some will be attending. The company I work part share a executive twelve seat box there is a waiting list from all who use it since Rooney joined Derby!!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if he tweaked a muscle and couldn't play  

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Wayne Rooney can get in the sea quite frankly after his performance at the World Cup in SA in 2010. He was never that good anyway.  

Damn right. 
Lost any respect for him at the South Africa World Cup. 
As you say - get in the sea! 

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think his England stuff is relevant to me in a City match v Derby.  Will be applauding City players, and if Derby player, Rooney or not, does something brilliant I’ll acknowledge it.

I do hate “Wayne Rooney’s Derby County”. When it was Lampard, although it annoyed me, he was the manager, so it made sense.

Wouldn't mind Rooney getting a 32Red!!!!

Exactly my thoughts. Not relevant in a league game.

If anything clapping will make it look like our fans are in awe of Derby's talisman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

ugly, granny poking, thieving has-been. 

Further, played in the generation when international football totally lost its magic. Never cared for him, care for him even less now. 

Another player who loves to give dogs abuse to refs. 

No respect from me whatsoever. 

He’s had a fantastic career and I like and respect the roonster. But no acknowledgement for me on match day . The only opposition player I have clapped was Sergio Aguero . A couple of seasons ago 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I'm not so bothered about Rooney, perhaps because I've seen him play for England a few times, but I got that feeling when our league cup run saw the likes of Ibrahimovic, Aguero and De Bruyne at Ashton Gate, not to mention Pep and Jose. It was totally surreal. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

England’s all time record goal scorer “was never that good anyway”..?! 

Don’t you just hate those flash in the pan players who turn up for for 2 decades, smash international, domestic & European records and then disappear back into oblivion again...! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

put Massengo on him and make him go dizzy with his energy and bite. He won't cope. 

Rooney seems to play quite deep for them so Massengo would have to be pushed on a lot higher then he normally plays

39 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

England’s all time record goal scorer “was never that good anyway”..?! 

Don’t you just hate those flash in the pan players who turn up for for 2 decades, smash international, domestic & European records and then disappear back into oblivion again...! 

A solitary goal in a World Cup & 6 in the Euros. Loads in qualification games against vastly inferior teams and he also seemed to like playing Andorra. I'm not a fan. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

A solitary goal in a World Cup & 6 in the Euros. Loads in qualification games against vastly inferior teams and he also seemed to like playing Andorra. I'm not a fan. 

I don't mean this to sound cocky, but I always thought when I saw England play live Rooney's all round game was better to see.

The amount of work that he put in off the ball was immense and rarely ever came across that way on TV

• Like 2

I think now that the "all time records" have to be qualified by goals/runs wickets to matches played. Wayne scored 53 in 120 matches compared to Bobby Charlton 49 in 106 matches.

With cricket the records are meaningless when there used to be one tour in the winter and one in the summer compared to virtually all year around now.

Hoping we berate him when he trudges off after getting a red card (ideally early in the first half for foul and abusive language after we get our third goal).

We can but dream.