Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robin Wood

Woeful record

I'm sure many sides have a similar record, particularly of our stature.

• Rovers 1

3 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Since 2010 against Leeds won 1 drew 2 lost 13 we really do not turn up against them 

It's purely phycological, there have been times when we have been going well and Leeds struggling yet still we seem to lose against them, it's almost like we have lost before we have even kicked a ball has to be in the players heads. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I'm sure many sides have a similar record, particularly of our stature.

Wigan have won the last 2 times at Elland Road not that I would want to swap places with Wigan 

23 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Wigan have won the last 2 times at Elland Road not that I would want to swap places with Wigan 

I bet Leeds fans see Wigan as their bogey team just as PNE is ours. I really hate it when we play Preston...........:facepalm:

Elland Road is just one of those grounds where we lose, since we started playing them regularly again since 2010.  The only time we looked like we might win was 2 years ago in the game on Sky, where we were winning 2-0 early on (2 goals following long throws from Maggers IIRC) yet we still only drew 2-2, nearly lost it at the end!.  We also did not beat Forest hoe or away between 1974 and 2011, despite playing them a lot, once we beat them the hoodoo was over.  

The other major bad away record was Bramall Lane, where we had not beaten Sheff Utd since around 1958.  We won 2-1 in the first game of Cotts promotion season, and I am sure we won the 2 games we played up there since!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I bet Leeds fans see Wigan as their bogey team just as PNE is ours. I really hate it when we play Preston...........:facepalm:

Let’s just hope it doesn’t all go down to the final day 😳

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's purely phycological, there have been times when we have been going well and Leeds struggling yet still we seem to lose against them, it's almost like we have lost before we have even kicked a ball has to be in the players heads. 

Yep,

Similar scenario with bloody Wolves !

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Might have to beat Preston to get into the playoffs last game of the season

47 minutes ago, pillred said:

It can’t be though. How many of today’s team played last there last season? It was 4 of today’s starting eleven. If it’s psychological then it’s on LJ

19 minutes ago, forbespm said:

Might have to beat Preston to get into the playoffs last game of the season

Hopefully we’ll be in a safe pray off place by then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Since 2010 against Leeds won 1 drew 2 lost 13 we really do not turn up against them 

Like Lee said players hid...... WHY are we hiding???? FFS chuck um under bus again.... there your players playing for top 6 and every time there's an opportunity and we get done there's an excuse..... put your hands up and say we got done by a better team and learn from it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

Like Lee said players hid...... WHY are we hiding???? FFS chuck um under bus again.... there your players playing for top 6 and every time there's an opportunity and we get done there's an excuse..... put your hands up and say we got done by a better team and learn from it.....

Isn’t that exactly what he said?

”I wanted to win the football match. I haven’t got any excuses, I thought they were the better side.”

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

You could add a few more clubs, Birmingham City for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Elland Road is just one of those grounds where we lose, since we started playing them regularly again since 2010.  The only time we looked like we might win was 2 years ago in the game on Sky, where we were winning 2-0 early on (2 goals following long throws from Maggers IIRC) yet we still only drew 2-2, nearly lost it at the end!.  We also did not beat Forest hoe or away between 1974 and 2011, despite playing them a lot, once we beat them the hoodoo was over.  

The other major bad away record was Bramall Lane, where we had not beaten Sheff Utd since around 1958.  We won 2-1 in the first game of Cotts promotion season, and I am sure we won the 2 games we played up there since!

Add Wolves to the list.

Last away win centenary in 2031. And we haven't had many at home either.

• Like 2

Yes, forgot about our terrible record at Molineux.  As at Elland Road, even when we had a lead in a recent game, also 2017/18 Wolves nicked an equaliser at the death.  I remember we always seemed to do OK against them in the 70s, when they were one of the top 2 or 3 teams  in the country.  Just took a look at our head to heads in the 70s and was astonished to see that we played them 10 times (including THAT FA Cup tie) and only lost once, winning 3 times at Elland Road (see below).  On the flip side of this we have won our last 5 at Fulham, if you include the Carabou Cup tie.  It really is a weird one to explain when you consider the change in personnel of the team over a 2 or 3 year period, let alone nearly a century of going to Molineux!

16 Feb 1974 Bristol City v Leeds United D 1-1 FA Cup
19 Feb 1974 Leeds United v Bristol City W 0-1 FA Cup
30 Apr 1977 Leeds United v Bristol City L 2-0 League Division One
10 May 1977 Bristol City v Leeds United W 1-0 League Division One
08 Oct 1977 Bristol City v Leeds United W 3-2 League Division One
04 Mar 1978 Leeds United v Bristol City W 0-2 League Division One
09 Dec 1978 Leeds United v Bristol City D 1-1 League Division One
28 Apr 1979 Bristol City v Leeds United D 0-0 League Division One
18 Aug 1979 Bristol City v Leeds United D 2-2 League Division One
03 Nov 1979 Leeds United v Bristol City W 1-3 League Division One

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

What stature would that be? 

A smaller club than Leeds.

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

It can’t be though. How many of today’s team played last there last season? It was 4 of today’s starting eleven. If it’s psychological then it’s on LJ

It's bizarre I grant you, can't think of any other reason why we so consistently seem to lose against them, doesn't seem to matter what kind of form they have been on invariably they beat us, personally I never ever feel confident when we play them and as you say it's usually a completely different city team, very strange. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

We always seem to play "Leeds United", rather than the 11 players on the pitch. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Who are WE a hoodoo team for? Fulham away, but not home. Think we have a fairly good record against Middlesbrough in recent years too?

Bolton maybe? Other than them...…………………...

Leeds are a ******* pain in the arse.

What ever happens I just hope we're in a different league to them next season as I'm sick to death of them, and that weird looking ****** Biesla.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Just don’t turn up against them unfortunately. For some reason we get to Elland road and just melt. We are too easily intimidated at Leeds. 

You can say the same about WBA, we are still paying for the Sweeney smash and grab in '75

7 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Just don’t turn up against them unfortunately. For some reason we get to Elland road and just melt. We are too easily intimidated at Leeds. 

At home hasn't exactly been a guaranteed 3 points either has it?

8 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Who are WE a hoodoo team for? Fulham away, but not home. Think we have a fairly good record against Middlesbrough in recent years too?

Palace at AG?

9 hours ago, Red white and red said:

At least we didn't melt us much as we did when they turned up at the Gate. That was truly horrible.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Palace at AG?

Barnsley are another one. They haven’t beaten us at home since 1993. And we’ve played each other a fair bit since then!

Edited by Lew-T

On 15/02/2020 at 20:57, allyolly said:

Isn’t that exactly what he said?

”I wanted to win the football match. I haven’t got any excuses, I thought they were the better side.”

Bottom line is we didn't compete again and he keeps saying players are hiding. You have to ask at this stage of the season why are players hiding / not performing?? All a bit repetitive season after season with new players so something isn't right... Leeds we're far better than us and all to prove against WBA.

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

Bottom line is we didn't compete again and he keeps saying players are hiding. You have to ask at this stage of the season why are players hiding / not performing?? All a bit repetitive season after season with new players so something isn't right... Leeds we're far better than us and all to prove against WBA.

I agree Leeds were far better than us, particularly in the first half. And it seems from the post match interviews so did LJ and there were no excuses made.  But I also think LJ was correct to say our flair players didn’t contribute enough which is why were completely on the back foot and hardly able to get the ball out of our half for the first 30mins.

Something clearly wasn’t right yesterday at Elland Rd. For me not having Fam available from the beginning due to illness and then losing Weimann early who would have harried and pressed didn’t help what was always going to be a difficult match. In the end it was a frustrating and disappointing afternoon, not made any easier by the £40 ticket price. 

But overall over the last 3 seasons I am happy to accept that more things are right than wrong even if we are not getting there as quickly or consistently as we would like. 

On 15/02/2020 at 21:02, cidered abroad said:

You could add a few more clubs, Birmingham City for example.

Yep - Fulham another.....