Jump to content

Music Bristol City have run out to


joeheadland1
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Seven Nation Army is a rousing enough tune, however the problem I have is that the loop they play of the bass intro has been edited by some amateur, the end of the fourth bar is cut short and the whole thing is therefore out of time.

Mentioned it once before on here I think, but can I seriously be the only one who has noticed this??!

It sounds like a child has done it on their phone (would be pretty much impossible to make such a bad edit if using professional software). I don't imagine such a shitshow could have taken place in the Tim Shires days.

So anyway, just me then?

Just a quick point on Seven Nation Army - the band didn’t have a bass player - that iconic intro is actually played on a semi-acoustic guitar with an octave effect - awesome sound! Although, to be fair, when my band plays that song the bass player plays the intro and that famous riff ...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Seven Nation Army is a rousing enough tune, however the problem I have is that the loop they play of the bass intro has been edited by some amateur, the end of the fourth bar is cut short and the whole thing is therefore out of time.

Mentioned it once before on here I think, but can I seriously be the only one who has noticed this??!

It sounds like a child has done it on their phone (would be pretty much impossible to make such a bad edit if using professional software). I don't imagine such a shitshow could have taken place in the Tim Shires days.

So anyway, just me then? 

White Riot at Swansea was just about as punk rock as it gets. 

Yep I noticed that too. Annoying isn't it. Just a horrible choice all round. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/02/2020 at 13:29, Malago said:

As mentioned above Red Red Robin by Al Jolson was the traditional tune played when the team ran out on to the pitch.  

 I can certainly remember it being played mid 60s and believe it was played  as far back as the 50s as well, although would need older fans to corroborate that. 

I don't believe that the Al Jolson version was the only version of Red Red Robin City used. I have a feeling that I heard the Dion and the Belmonts version (recorded in 1960) and there could have been others. The first British recording, same year as Al Jolson, was by Whistling Jack Smith. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can remember Pendulum - Slam... But that's about it aside from the current cover/mash up of 7 Nation Army (who's it by anyway?)

My personal favourite was for Bristol Rugby running out to Killing in the Name by RATM.

Would like to go back to this TBH. Currently it's The Greatest Show, which is better than 7 Nation Army.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/02/2020 at 20:43, City Rocker said:

I don't imagine such a shitshow could have taken place in the Tim Shires days.

 

One thing I always used to try was to play stuff that gave the game the best possible build up. Certain songs I played divided opinion so I always took feedback on board and tried to adjust things game by game. You will never please everyone, its impossible. But if you can't please someone, I at least tried to justify why a song was played (or not played in some cases - I used to get some very bizarre requests!)

My only aim was to try and get people in the mood for the match with the music selections. Big anthems from the world of football and throw in some curveballs too - dance classics used to go down very well! 

The game I am most proud of was the JPT game vs Rovers. About 10 mins before kick off I stopped the music, left it silent for a couple of minutes then dropped in the intro to Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes, followed by the intro to War of the Worlds then cranked up Drink up Thy Cider. The place was rocking! But the game was so good, all that got forgotten. But I dont care - because I was happy that I did my job. I dont lay any claim to the atmosphere that night.... but if I was able to make it just 1% better - then I see that as a job done! 

My god - typing this makes me realise how much I miss it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tim S said:

One thing I always used to try was to play stuff that gave the game the best possible build up. Certain songs I played divided opinion so I always took feedback on board and tried to adjust things game by game. You will never please everyone, its impossible. But if you can't please someone, I at least tried to justify why a song was played (or not played in some cases - I used to get some very bizarre requests!)

My only aim was to try and get people in the mood for the match with the music selections. Big anthems from the world of football and throw in some curveballs too - dance classics used to go down very well! 

The game I am most proud of was the JPT game vs Rovers. About 10 mins before kick off I stopped the music, left it silent for a couple of minutes then dropped in the intro to Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes, followed by the intro to War of the Worlds then cranked up Drink up Thy Cider. The place was rocking! But the game was so good, all that got forgotten. But I dont care - because I was happy that I did my job. I dont lay any claim to the atmosphere that night.... but if I was able to make it just 1% better - then I see that as a job done! 

My god - typing this makes me realise how much I miss it. 

Tim, now you mention it - I remember the music from that JPT game. I remember thinking at the time what a fantastic selection it was. Would never happen now. 

What do you think of ‘7 nation army’ being our intro song?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Tim, now you mention it - I remember the music from that JPT game. I remember thinking at the time what a fantastic selection it was. Would never happen now. 

What do you think of ‘7 nation army’ being our intro song?

Terrible. I can't see how its still being played - kills the atmosphere and its not like the team have been playing well at home to justify it being played.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/02/2020 at 01:23, Tim S said:

One thing I always used to try was to play stuff that gave the game the best possible build up. Certain songs I played divided opinion so I always took feedback on board and tried to adjust things game by game. You will never please everyone, its impossible. But if you can't please someone, I at least tried to justify why a song was played (or not played in some cases - I used to get some very bizarre requests!)

My only aim was to try and get people in the mood for the match with the music selections. Big anthems from the world of football and throw in some curveballs too - dance classics used to go down very well! 

The game I am most proud of was the JPT game vs Rovers. About 10 mins before kick off I stopped the music, left it silent for a couple of minutes then dropped in the intro to Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes, followed by the intro to War of the Worlds then cranked up Drink up Thy Cider. The place was rocking! But the game was so good, all that got forgotten. But I dont care - because I was happy that I did my job. I dont lay any claim to the atmosphere that night.... but if I was able to make it just 1% better - then I see that as a job done! 

My god - typing this makes me realise how much I miss it. 

My god, I remember that, wow what a build up. There were some cracking tunes in those days!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My god, I remember that, wow what a build up. There were some cracking tunes in those days!

I always loved dropping some classics and curve balls as well as the usual stuff.Plus I tried to make a few things unique to City - the song I used to play when the teams came out for the second half always had people asking what it was. A song from Kick Ass.... 

I know for a fact it was only ever played at Ashton Gate... but I know a couple of other clubs copied it and started to use it after a while. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tim S said:

I always loved dropping some classics and curve balls as well as the usual stuff.Plus I tried to make a few things unique to City - the song I used to play when the teams came out for the second half always had people asking what it was. A song from Kick Ass.... 

I know for a fact it was only ever played at Ashton Gate... but I know a couple of other clubs copied it and started to use it after a while. 

 

Yes, I remember that…

Those were the days…:city:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A big thank you to everyone for commenting and sharing your memories, its invaluable to the project. 

There's some great tunes in there, and in terms of identity, as an outsider looking in you perhaps have more than other clubs we've looked at. This is the current 'timeline' we've got for Bristol City. Anything you agree/disagree with, give us a shout. 

If anyone else has any songs to share please let me know. If you remember roughly what season a song was played in that's very helpful too!

Cheers

(and my apologies for bumping the thread up - sorry!)

 

Russ Conway When the red red robin 1960     Mid 60s 80s
Al Johnson  When the red red robin                                1926     50s? At least 70s
Dion and the Belmots When the red red robin                1960        
Whistling Jack Smith When the red red robin           
Tomoyasu Hotei Battle Without Honour 2000     ?? ??
The Wurzels One for the Bristol City  1977     at least 04 but probably earlier 2019
Strange piano music in the 80s?            
Queen  One Vision  1985     ?? ??
Harry J All Stars The Liquidator 1968     90s / 2011/12 ??
Republica Ready to Go 1996     97/98 97/98
Robbie Williams Let me Entertain You 1997     ?? ??
Van Halen Jump 1983     2004ish 2004ish
Thin Lizzy The Boys are Back In Town  1977     2004 2005
Rossini William Tell Overture (horn section only 1828     2006 2009
The Wurzels One for the bristol city 2006     2006 Mid 00s
White Stripes Seven Nation Army  2003     ?? 2020

 

 

 

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...