Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

lenred

LJ - Post match comments

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Publicly calling out Wells/Henriksen/Benkovic As not being good enough after 3 games must be a record? Man management 101. Wells in particular must be delighted given all that service he gets....

Just what I was going to post. Remarkable, but not in any way surprising. It speaks volumes, and those that should be hearing this cannot go on much longer covering their ears and shouting "not listening!" Can they?

Lee lacks the personal qualities and the character that I would prioritise in selecting a manager/head coach. My first impression and awareness of a City manager was Terry Cooper, though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yeah that's all very well, but............we look great in training apparently?  Perhaps because in training, there is NO opposition?

Actually there is opposition. They are the 6 foot high coathangers that are then bent to look like an outline of a player. However, at the last training session with the first team, the coathangers equalised in the last minute.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Actually there is opposition. They are the 6 foot high coathangers that are then bent to look like an outline of a player. However, at the last training session with the first team, the coathangers equalised in the last minute.

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

...and the vibe is more apathy than anger. We all know that LJ is living a charmed life. We could boo all we liked and SL would put his arm around poor Lee and blame us ungrateful know-nothings.

It's pathetic, not enraging. 

This is definitely where I’m at that’s for sure.  Anger passed about two seasons ago.  Now I just find it slightly sad/ annoying/ amusing / bewildering at various points. I’m trying the ‘dont get angry about something you can’t change’ approach! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lenred said:

This is definitely where I’m at that’s for sure.  Anger passed about two seasons ago.  Now I just find it slightly sad/ annoying/ amusing / bewildering at various points. I’m trying the ‘dont get angry about something you can’t change’ approach! 

yep - me too!

Renewed our season tickets and will get what I can out of matches...and if all that is on Saturday is a couple of pints and an afternoon out with my London-based son, so be it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lenred said:

This is definitely where I’m at that’s for sure.  Anger passed about two seasons ago.  Now I just find it slightly sad/ annoying/ amusing / bewildering at various points. I’m trying the ‘dont get angry about something you can’t change’ approach! 

I’m definitely at bewildered/amused at the moment. 

Its so much better than angry. More people should try it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

yep - me too!

Renewed our season tickets and will get what I can out of matches...and if all that is on Saturday is a couple of pints and an afternoon out with my London-based son, so be it. 

Exactly this. I’d still go whoever the manager, whatever the league, however we play -  and thousands of us are of a similar mind. It’s a chance to get away from it all for a while, and have a few beers with good mates.  Would be very nice if things improved but it’ll never stop us going if it doesn’t. Club know that though as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I always appreciate your observations as you report from the front line of supporters who are there through thick and thin. But on the players. Many of them have achieved great things in their careers - Ashley Williams at the Euros - Palmer and Kalas have both been promoted from this division, we've just brought in three players with experience of the Prem....is it not likely that they simply see right through Lee Johnson? His faults are glaring. He tries to mask them with cockiness and a complex, opaque, language that baffles as many as it impresses, but we can all see them. How much more obvious must they be to experienced players?

I do totally agree with that. Maybe it is just something they are restricted in but why do so many seem not willing to show a bit of leadership or professional pride when out there. They played last night, and not for the first time, like they were total strangers. Our Captain was in goal, but there was no one taking charge and organising, encouraging or ordering. There is a hell of a lot of experience, but yet looked like we were playing with kids. It really was men against boys and Huddersfield weren’t the men that West Brom were. We should have done much better with what was on the pitch last night.

But yes, they probably allow all the Johnson grass measuring, buzz word spin to go over their heads. That said they must have known what they were coming into when they signed, as just about all of them are ‘his’ players now. I’m sure the players have their Agents suss us out before signing, and there must be industry gossip. Or is it purely all about the money we pay for some?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I reckon he'll be fired tomorrow

I don't agree it will be tomorrow but I do wonder, after that interview, if it closer than some expect.

I suspect that, up until now, LJ has largely stayed in his role because he has been able to convince the board he has a plan and a vision and that he knows how to put mistakes right and get us higher up the table. And, to be fair, he has largely succeeded in doing that. There have been bad runs but then he has always managed to pull a decent run out at the end of it - for example, lots of us were getting frustrated at Christmas and then we went on a very good run of results up until the Leeds game.

At the moment, it really sounds like he does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. And if that is the case then, unless he works out the answers very quickly, he can only be on borrowed time. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't agree it will be tomorrow but I do wonder, after that interview, if it closer than some expect.

I suspect that, up until now, LJ has largely stayed in his role because he has been able to convince the board he has a plan and a vision and that he knows how to put mistakes right and get us higher up the table. And, to be fair, he has largely succeeded in doing that. There have been bad runs but then he has always managed to pull a decent run out at the end of it - for example, lots of us were getting frustrated at Christmas and then we went on a very good run of results up until the Leeds game.

At the moment, it really sounds like he does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. And if that is the case then, unless he works out the answers very quickly, he can only be on borrowed time. 

I’ve opposed a knee-jerk reaction to defeats consistently, but I agree that we have to be seen to keep moving forward for the present management to justify their continuing tenure.  What’s telling for me are the comments here about the impression of Lee giving a sense of desperation.  We’ve seen that before with Ward, Johnson Snr and O’Driscoll and it does usually signify that the end is nigh.  I think Lansdown has forgiven Lee (and possibly Ashton too) significant errors in the past, but there has to be a limit to that.  Whether there would be any point in dispensing with Lee with only a few games of the season left is arguable, but if we cannot be sure that he will take us forward this season, then the change has to be made at the end of the season.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

get a new nan in now it might give us an upturn in form. might just get us into the playoffs. If not he can see what he has going into next season. i just feel we have wasted a great opportunity this season.  apart from west brom this is not a strong league . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

If Watkins is back fit it will be Diedhiou and Watkins up top to try and match up physically. The more big name players we sign the less he can man manage them. Maybe because they know he talks rubbish, when they question him about tactics etc they're out of the team and players he say he can trust are back in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

get a new nan in now it might give us an upturn in form. might just get us into the playoffs. If not he can see what he has going into next season. i just feel we have wasted a great opportunity this season.  apart from west brom this is not a strong league . 

Good idea.  Anyone got a Nan who would fit the bill?  Sadly mine are no longer with us...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

If Watkins is back fit it will be Diedhiou and Watkins up top to try and match up physically. The more big name players we sign the less he can man manage them. Maybe because they know he talks rubbish, when they question him about tactics etc they're out of the team and players he say he can trust are back in 

What’s your evidence for this?  It’s not what I’ve heard...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

He has bought players he wanted and created his own squad. He has played each one in different positions with every shape possible in order to try and hit upon the one that works. Unfortunately for him everything he tries fails sonit is time for him to move on.

You simply cant have a manager who doesn't know his best players and shape and tinkers it every week in hope....that is clueless and shows a manager who lacks confidence and ability.

Not quite every shape possible.

Formations can be overdone but there is one shape he has not given any proper consideration to.

4-3-3. The ideal setup in this era or an ideal setup for passing and pressing- he has a total aversion to it for some reason, maybe we don't have the players...but I think we do, we have lots of options that could see us give this a proper go.

PS, when I say 4-3-3, Palmer as one of those three, or Paterson or even O'Dowda- any of them as part of the midfield 3 is NOT what I have in mind, from a balance and control POV. Maybe have any 3 of them as part of the front 3 or in Palmer's case a 4-3-1-2, he could be the '1' behind Weimann and Wells say but no LJ has not given any proper consideration to a genuine 4-3-3.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

get a new nan in now it might give us an upturn in form. might just get us into the playoffs. If not he can see what he has going into next season. i just feel we have wasted a great opportunity this season.  apart from west brom this is not a strong league . 

I’m a nan so I’m happy to give it a go. I’ll do it for half of whatever Johnson is on! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only positive thing going for this particular post-match interview was it was more honest than any others. Others have highlighted the many negatives that it also included. 

Think it is significant mainly cos LJ has failed to be so honest previously with his habit of unrealistically talking things up. So when he fails to do this - as was mainly the case here - it shouts out somewhat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Your second sentence. 

Do you think that the majority shareholder views us as an over achieving mid table outfit with the massive investment that has been put in by him around Bar Bs3 and the multi millions spent on players.

LJ had one target set by the benefactor and that was improve our position...That did not mean 7th, that meant top six....I despair sometimes that people don’t hear what the bloke is saying. I have not lost sight of the fact SL expects improvement (top six finish) and I reckon he is pretty fed up after that! And he certainly does not see us as an over achieving mid table side....With an 8 million center back etc etc etc etc etc!

A very valid way of looking at it and no doubt you are right. 
I was talking from my expectations, rather than his. 
 

Last night was hugely disappointing. I had completely expected a reaction and a statement performance, that “ok, were not as good as the top 2 - but we are damn well good enough for top 6”

It didn’t happen and it wasn’t even close..! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In some ways I can understand LJ's frustration, you have players who are internationals, with prem experienced or atleast a lot of championship experience and paid 20-30K per week and they can't even do some of the simple things, like pass the ball with pace to a teammate, run into a space to receive the ball, close down or track the opposition or even make the required effort, some of those so called professionals performance last night was a disgrace. Whilst you can rightly question selection (many on here were very happy prior to the game) or tactics / style of play, these top level professional athletes should be able to do the basics well without instruction and a large amount of blame and questions should be put on their shoulders.

Having in some way defended LJ, I was always of the opinion to give to the end of the year and see if we make the playoffs, or when looks unlikely you bring in the new manager to assess the squad over the last few games and build in the summer. The danger is we make a quick knee jerk reaction, bringing in someone new who may get the dead cat bounce (where does that saying come from?) and you then give them the job based on a few games.

Ashton is a football man who has SL's ear (so an amount of self preservation going on) and will already no doubt be having the discussions about looking to the future as LJ's tenure has perhaps run its course, so hopefully we are scouting for future manager possibilities, but want this to be a good long term appointment not a knee jerk one..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

It wouldn’t be a surprise to me, if Lee Johnson looked on while Steve Lansdown got the playing staff together; and told them it’s not good enough, its all their fault, not Lee Johnson’s.

I could well see that scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

In some ways I can understand LJ's frustration, you have players who are internationals, with prem experienced or atleast a lot of championship experience and paid 20-30K per week and they can't even do some of the simple things, like pass the ball with pace to a teammate, run into a space to receive the ball, close down or track the opposition or even make the required effort, some of those so called professionals performance last night was a 

 

Understandable outcome.

An outcome that can be predicted by the lack of keystone behaviours put in place by the Manager.

Last night performance was not shocking. It was a logical % down on previous games. The opponents having more of the ball, looking better on it, and looking more cohesive in elements of their play was a norm. 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst you can rightly question selection (many on here were very happy prior to the game) or tactics / style of play, these top level professional athletes should be able to do the basics well without instruction and a large amount of blame and questions should be put on their shoulders.

 

Why do you think Mr Johnsons players lose the ability to do the basics? How about simple confidence and nerves

Look at the instruction e.g. Lee Johnsons players who do not have high abilities on the ball asked to build from the back.

The midfield. Changed again. The team shape change after change. Training cannot be consistent. This is an unusual (?) way to build confidence!

This environment creates basic errors and as players lose faith in their leaders instruction, the football, themselves error becomes cyclic.

Superhumans would be needed not to be affected by the amount of change Mr Johnson applies to his teams football. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

Quote

Did you see that as a tactical problem in the first half - or more the players at fault?

You tell me. What do you think?

In my analysis, they didn't seem to be able to get out of their half, could they? Would you agree with that?

Why was that? I'm having a genuine conversation with you here. I agree with you, by the way. So we're starting off at the point where we're agreeing with each other.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Ran of of likes.

As I said earlier, not the traits of a leader, and have been apparent for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Sorry i'm a bit slow today. What's the implied message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Wow just reading the full transcript now. I'm not one for hyperbole but based on this, things are bad. Amazed at some of those answers. He didn't even realise it was Diedhiou that scored?!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-lee-johnson-transcript-bristol-3888206

Edited by Phileas Fogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

It’s always been this way with him. He should be taking full responsibility to the outside media noise. That’s what good managers do - in football and in normal working life - shield their team from criticism on the outside and then deal with them as necessary behind closed doors. But he just can’t.  It’s proven time and time again. He’s the very opposite of a good man manager.  He’s completely gutless in his consistent lack of taking any responsibility whatsoever.  Not coming on the pitch after defeats is just another small but very obvious example of it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to him throwing players under the bus, it's a disgraceful way to  go about management.  Almost all successful managers in any field  that I know of gain respect, results and loyalty by backing their chosen people (and let's be honest all of these players are LJ's/MA's chosen people) they believe in them because they have recruited them, analyzed them, assessed their strengths and weaknesses and areas for improvement and actively  worked on them and instilled their ethos, integrity, decision-making etc.

Throwing people under the bus is a coward's way of management and manifests a lack of faith and loyalty.

Let's be quite clear about this it's not a new trait by any means, he showed his hand very early when publicly slaughtering Magnuson after a game.

Also if you look at the evidence you will find that the people that speak most highly of him are the ones that have moved on and furthered their careers! no surprise there then.

It's as though the penny hasn't dropped that Steve L has been stubbornly loyal to LJ it's a shame that he couldn't do the same with his players

 

 

Edited by RaspberryRed
I forgot to throw Mark Ashton under the bus as well
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s always been this way with him. He should be taking full responsibility to the outside media noise. That’s what good managers do - in football and in normal working life - shield their team from criticism on the outside and then deal with them as necessary behind closed doors. But he just can’t.  It’s proven time and time again. He’s the very opposite of a good man manager.  He’s completely gutless in his consistent lack of taking any responsibility whatsoever.  Not coming on the pitch after defeats is just another small but very obvious example of it. 

Just realised we've pretty much just said the same thing but yours was more eloquent and concise

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Just realised we've pretty much just said the same thing but yours was more eloquent and concise

Not at all mate, your post is just as eloquent imho, but thank you for the kind words! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Johnson has never been as upset since he has been here. He should be used to it by now. The same pattern every year. Fall away and bottle it. Whenever a Johnson team gets to the business end of the season when there is a lot riding on each game and we need a result we simply don't turn up. Leaderless with no fight or resilience. How he can be paid to do this year after year. I can handle being out played but out fought no. We now truly have a team in Johnson's image. 

Ain't that the truth and been so since his infamous '3 windows' speech; how many windows has he had now? Of course, we have to consider all of those players that have been sold and I do absolutely get it takes time to bed new players in but as many others have said the blame game is not the right way to manage and then, last night, for the first time a 'I do not understand' comment comes into play. It is bewilderment by Johnson that he cannot get it right, he cannot play entertaining football after about 7 windows is it now? And we are all bewildered, beyond anger as others have said, with him still knocking around talking about identity. Sounds distinctly like a Mark Ashton spin not least because we are yet to be told what exactly that identity is. Is it some secret code between the powers that be and thrust into any microphone that appears for our mutual 'enjoyment'. That in itself is disingenuous because of course it is to our utter bewilderment. What i would like to know is did we ever have this 'identity'? I would like Johnson to tell us what exactly he is referring to and not keep us all in the dark like sheep to a trough. Perhaps he will, let's wait and see.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

Speechless with this.

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

Just speechless.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m definitely at bewildered/amused at the moment. 

Its so much better than angry. More people should try it. 

I am there, with youz. its bizarre!

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Hope he has a nice weekend then is all i can say.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, petehinton said:

Publicly calling out Wells/Henriksen/Benkovic As not being good enough after 3 games must be a record? Man management 101. Wells in particular must be delighted given all that service he gets....

He didn't call out Wells, quite the opposite:

image.png.eee511f9a2723eb7ec84f6a260d2958b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just what I was going to post. Remarkable, but not in any way surprising. It speaks volumes, and those that should be hearing this cannot go on much longer covering their ears and shouting "not listening!" Can they?

Lee lacks the personal qualities and the character that I would prioritise in selecting a manager/head coach. My first impression and awareness of a City manager was Terry Cooper, though. 

Out of interest, what would those personal qualities and character traits be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He didn't call out Wells, quite the opposite:

image.png.eee511f9a2723eb7ec84f6a260d2958b.png

That was after he said 'the new players need to look at themselves', wasnt it? I also find it really worrying that LJ's reaction to Wells' struggles is 'bless him' btw....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I can never make up my mind about LJ. The inconsistency is there for everyone to see and even the biggest LJ fans can see that our form just isn’t good enough. He over thinks thing pick a starting 11 and formation and stick with it. I personally feel end of season get rid of him and bring more experience in with a manager that gets the best from players and to buy a new midfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that while Benkovic was being substituted at Huddersfield...............Taylor Moore was awarded Man of the Match for Blackpool (Yeah I know it's a Lower standard)  But I happen to think the 22 year old is a class act, who would have made more of a contribution than some of the over rated rabble that represented Bristol City last night?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was after he said 'the new players need to look at themselves', wasnt it? I also find it really worrying that LJ's reaction to Wells' struggles is 'bless him' btw....

No, he said "a couple of the new players..." 

Fairly obvious he was referring to Benkovic and Henriksen who were withdrawn at HT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was after he said 'the new players need to look at themselves', wasnt it? I also find it really worrying that LJ's reaction to Wells' struggles is 'bless him' btw....

I think the interview is very telling and cause for concern.. but in his defence, 'bless him' is just something he says. I've heard him say that plenty of times before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

He needs to go back to worldclass basics. He’s stubborn, and he’s undone all his good work from previous seasons . Players out on loan should be playing for us instead he’s got named players from elsewhere who are good individually but not as a team. Maybe the fans have contributed to that by wanting these ‘stars’ but are they better than what we had? It will be interesting the team he puts out on Saturday. 

fixed that for you

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good idea.  Anyone got a Nan who would fit the bill?  Sadly mine are no longer with us...

Afraid I'm in the same boat.

You're welcome to my mother in law tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Out of interest, what would those personal qualities and character traits be?

Barnsley stuck by him when he went on a long losing run and their crowd were beginning to howl, then he cleared off to us mid season as they were recovering. So, the qualities of a bloke that returns that loyalty and sees the job through, at least until the end of the season. When we appointed him he had one full season - summer transfer window through to May - to his name.

The opposite of an opportunist, whatever that is. But in his defence, football is awash with shysters like this. 

Humility. Someone that, even when they have achieved something, are reluctant to talk themselves up. Think Bobby Robson.

Plain speaking. Not talking down, but not talking bullshit and jargon either. Think Shankly, a man in tune with his people (supporters). 

Broad shoulders. Publicly taking responsibility and not blaming others or absolving himself of culpability. Have a go at the players in the dressing room but not into a microphone. All this is much easier to do when you have tangible success to your name such as promotions, and can be sure of your methods and the likelihood of future work at the same level or higher even if the current job ends badly.

Grit. The sort of fellow you might not necessarily like but you are going to respect. Giggling is not for me (in a football manager).

 

I cannot get away from pre-Premier League era ideal of the West of Scotland mining community pit or shipyard worker to player to manager, Shankly/Busby/Stein/Ferguson. Or the decency of a Bobby Robson/John Lyall/Joe Royle/Terry Cooper. Not LJ's fault he's from Cambridge and is the equivalent of a modern politician who has never had another job and enjoyed a helping hand into his current lofty position. Lee is more Malcolm Allison (minus the success/medals) or some other London gobshite manager than a fellow that has emerged from adversity and knows in his bones what it takes to be a leader of men.

I don't know the bloke, but this is my perception, based on his public utterances (and one or two insiders insights). My guess is some players don't "fancy" Lee either. 

It's a gut thing. All these coaches have done the same badges, courses, visits to such and such. It's what sort of bloke you think he is as you shake his hand and look him in the eye, and that's where you listen to your gut (interview on a half-full stomach).

 

Still, we win Saturday, and it's all back on again! And full steam ahead to do or die v Preston at home. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Barnsley stuck by him when he went on a long losing run and their crowd were beginning to howl, then he cleared off to us mid season as they were recovering. So, the qualities of a bloke that returns that loyalty and sees the job through, at least until the end of the season. When we appointed him he had one full season - summer transfer window through to May - to his name.

The opposite of an opportunist, whatever that is. But in his defence, football is awash with shysters like this. 

Humility. Someone that, even when they have achieved something, are reluctant to talk themselves up. Think Bobby Robson.

Plain speaking. Not talking down, but not talking bullshit and jargon either. Think Shankly, a man in tune with his people (supporters). 

Broad shoulders. Publicly taking responsibility and not blaming others or absolving himself of culpability. Have a go at the players in the dressing room but not into a microphone. All this is much easier to do when you have tangible success to your name such as promotions, and can be sure of your methods and the likelihood of future work at the same level or higher even if the current job ends badly.

Grit. The sort of fellow you might not necessarily like but you are going to respect. Giggling is not for me (in a football manager).

 

I cannot get away from pre-Premier League era ideal of the West of Scotland mining community pit or shipyard worker to player to manager, Shankly/Busby/Stein/Ferguson. Or the decency of a Bobby Robson/John Lyall/Joe Royle/Terry Cooper. Not LJ's fault he's from Cambridge and is the equivalent of a modern politician who has never had another job and enjoyed a helping hand into his current lofty position. Lee is more Malcolm Allison (minus the success/medals) or some other London gobshite manager than a fellow that has emerged from adversity and knows in his bones what it takes to be a leader of men.

I don't know the bloke, but this is my perception, based on his public utterances (and one or two insiders insights). My guess is some players don't "fancy" Lee either. 

It's a gut thing. All these coaches have done the same badges, courses, visits to such and such. It's what sort of bloke you think he is as you shake his hand and look him in the eye, and that's where you listen to your gut (interview on a half-full stomach).

 

Still, we win Saturday, and it's all back on again! And full steam ahead to do or die v Preston at home. 

 

 

Personally think hes a classic narcissist.  Flatters to deceive initially then over time you can see right through the bluster and bs. 

The seasoned pros at the club must be able to notice that.  Think it was one of the 2 new lads benkovik or henricksen that said hes the most tactical manager hes worked with. Maybe far to many tactics and not enough answers to the failings in the group

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sorry i'm a bit slow today. What's the implied message?

'The players are to a man failing to execute my instructions. My instructions are all brilliant and no fault should ever be attached to them, it is all the players who are to blame, not me. Hint hint. Players not me. Hint hint.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olé said:

'The players are to a man failing to execute my instructions. My instructions are all brilliant and no fault should ever be attached to them, it is all the players who are to blame, not me. Hint hint. Players not me. Hint hint.'

Slightly harsh. 

Written down the conversation doesn’t look great.  Seems confrontational but might not be.  I’ve not heard it yet. Tone is very important and I think everyone should reserve judgment until they’ve heard it. 

If people have heard it and it’s still bad then fair enough. It will mean he is panicking internally. 

Edited by RedDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocked by Lee's post-match conference comments, very much felt like his "O'Driscoll moment" on Radio Bristol, and a finalising move during endgame. The clip also raised some additional thoughts:

1) Club PR - it's obvious, yet damning, that the club elected not to release this audio as usual. There must be real embarrassment of LJ's public self-destruction this week.

2) Dressing room dynamic - regardless of any player rumours, put yourself in MacGregor's shoes, or any player in this this conversation. It's a complete turn-off. How can anyone root for this man "manager", antagonistic, and arrogant going forward? It helps me understand the disregard and discontent we're currently seeing on the pitch.

3) Whistleblowing/Korey Smith - I look to the team, and struggle to thinking of a player with sufficient "credit" who could comfortably flag and convincingly sway the board to change course, only maybe Korey, who is in the awkward position of being LJ's favourite and being injected for a fast-track return against Millwall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Agree with this, it’s very odd. Also listening to the audio, he still can’t/won’t pronounce Nagy’s surname correctly. Imagine managing 30 odd people and not knowing how to pronounce a (very simple) surname. Given he’s already called Nagy out for having the temerity to want to play for his country, and given suggestions of struggles to settle into Bristol this just smacks of lazy man management.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Zeppelin said:

Shocked by Lee's post-match conference comments, very much felt like his "O'Driscoll moment" on Radio Bristol, and a finalising move during endgame. The clip also raised some additional thoughts:

1) Club PR - it's obvious, yet damning, that the club elected not to release this audio as usual. There must be real embarrassment of LJ's public self-destruction this week.

 

They tweeted, and then immediately deleted, something this afternoon saying something like ‘honesty from Lee Johnson after last night’s defeat.’ Presume that may have been the audio and they quickly thought better of it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...