Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

E.G.Red

Starting 11 for Fulham

Hopefully the back 4 is at least settled for Saturday now, as well as the 2 in the middle.  And we presumably have some stability if we go with a 4-2-3-1-ish shape again.  Diedhiou has to play up front as well surely.  After that the 3 spots behind him may well be up for grabs given how little they created on Saturday (ie absolutely nothing)

Bentley (I'd assume come back if it was just a minor knock)
Pereira, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva
Smith, Nagy
TBC, TBC, TBC
Diedhiou

Personally I'd rather have Wells, Palmer and Eliasson over Paterson, Weimann and O'Dowda.

28 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Not going to happen but something like this would be a nice change. 

Maenpaa

Pereira        Kalas        Baker       Dasilva

Smith     Henriksen   

Paterson                                         Eliasson

Palmer

Wells

Adam Nagy doesn’t get anywhere near my starting 11.

Like this team......Massengo in for Henriksen possibly but other than that, let's give this team a go. 👏😉

I genuinely believe that the only way we get the best out of Wells is to play Pato or KP behind him.......

• Like 1

I’m a bit torn on who should start but I certainly have ideas of things from yesterday I think we should build on and things that did not work so well.

First off, I think it vital that Bentley replaces Maenpaa as soon as he is fit. Maenpaa did not do too much wrong yesterday from a goalkeeping perspective but his distribution was slow and inaccurate and blunted us even more than we were otherwise blunted as an attacking force

I think Kalas and Baker did more than enough to keep their places and probably Pereira too. Dasilva was below par but is still a must on the team sheet.

Where we get exposed, in my view, is a combination of inviting pressure through a lack of control in midfield and teams finding space on the flanks when the full backs push forward. One thing that I thought worked really well first half yesterday was Nagy drifting to left back to cover Dasilva and I was think I want to see an anchor in midfield plus two midfielders who can cover the full backs or bustle forward themselves. If fit and on form, I that is Smith, Nagy and Henrikson.

That leaves three players and I am a bit torn. I think Weimann has to be left out at the moment due to his from but, beyond that, there are a range of options I am unsure on.

We could play Palmer or Paterson as a number ten plus Wells and Diedhiou up front with the full backs providing width. However it would need the number ten to play well and would not get the best out of Diedhiou.

We could play Diedhiou or Wells on their own with Eliasson and O’Dowda or Paterson either side of them. Or we could play an asymmetric front 3 with Eliasson as a wide player, one of Diedhiou or Wells as a centre forward and the other drifting in from the flank. 

All of these options have their strengths and weaknesses but it is not clear to me what work best. But I really do want to see 3 in midfield and the rest of the team built from there. 

55 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Not going to happen but something like this would be a nice change. 

Maenpaa

Pereira        Kalas        Baker       Dasilva

Smith     Henriksen   

Paterson                                         Eliasson

Palmer

Wells

Adam Nagy doesn’t get anywhere near my starting 11.

Henriksen against Huddersfield was as bad as anything I’ve seen in a city shirt.  

30 minutes ago, Roe said:

Hopefully the back 4 is at least settled for Saturday now, as well as the 2 in the middle.  And we presumably have some stability if we go with a 4-2-3-1-ish shape again.  Diedhiou has to play up front as well surely.  After that the 3 spots behind him may well be up for grabs given how little they created on Saturday (ie absolutely nothing)

Bentley (I'd assume come back if it was just a minor knock)
Pereira, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva
Smith, Nagy
TBC, TBC, TBC
Diedhiou

Personally I'd rather have Wells, Palmer and Eliasson over Paterson, Weimann and O'Dowda.

A lot to be said about deciding whether you’re going back 4 or back 5.

You’d hope with Saturday’s defensive performances that we have a solid base to continue it.  It then becomes:

Pereira or Hunt at RB

Dasilva (or Rowe as cover)

Kalas, Baker with Williams and Benkovic as CBs.

Kalas worried me v Huddersfield, but following Millwall, I’m gonna put it down to rustiness.

Once that 4 + Keeper are sorted, I think you then have a bit more flexibility.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Henriksen against Huddersfield was as bad as anything I’ve seen in a city shirt.  

You could honestly say that about everybody that played in red that night.

36 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Apart from Nagy I’d say. What don’t you like?

Apart from his debut, he has been below par and looks like he’s not up to the speed of the Championship. Physically weak and not very good with the ball, the latter being his strength, so we were told. 

After all the fuss and money we’ve spent in midfield, keeping Liam Walsh looked like a better idea.

9 hours ago, marmite said:

He will change it simply because it's different opposition who will pose a different threat, and he will pick a team to counter them rather than a team to make them think about us. So who will play? Even Lee wont have decided yet. But I bet not many of us get it right.

Spot on.

The exact problem nailed in a paragraph.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Wouldn’t mind the same 11 as yesterday, with 1 change of Eliasson starting for COD. He’s due an assist and we usually attack well against Fulham for some reason.

Agreed, we have to make more chances for Wells to shine & NE seems to be the best option consistently.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Apart from his debut, he has been below par and looks like he’s not up to the speed of the Championship. Physically weak and not very good with the ball, the latter being his strength, so we were told. 

After all the fuss and money we’ve spent in midfield, keeping Liam Walsh looked like a better idea.

Walsh certainly looks the part with more games under his belt, I also think we were too quick to send Moore out on loan.

Unchanged, no idea why anyone would want Palmer, who has not performed at all well this season. Might not have been great yesterday, but it was reasonably organised and had some basic defensive qualities. And why drop our best striker who adds defensive qualities at set pieces? Just makes no sense whatsoever.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair, injuries aside, it can only be this:

Maenpaa

Pereira | Kalas | Baker | Dasilva

Paterson | Smith | Nagy | O’Dowda

Weimann | Diedhiou

Its the side he picked after Tuesday’s horror show, so i don’t see how he can get any respect by picking something different.

I see what you’re saying. It makes sense and is logical. 

The problem is twofold:

1. You’ve not made use of the company tombola.  

2. You’ve just not over-thought things enough or built a team focused on Fulham’s strengths.  

.....aside from that I’m sure you’re spot-on!!!! 

• Flames 1

......Bentley(if fit)......

periera Kalas baker Dasilva 

..........smith....Rowe.........

elliason palmer COD

Wells 

would be my pick but going on previous weeks it could be anybody!! 

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fwiw

Think you forgot LJs explanation re Ayling 

As for having to recoup £££££ 

Maybe if he didn’t sign so many players that he doesn’t use might help

The if he didn’t sign so many players question!!

So he has been here over 4 years now, I would love to know other clubs in the championship player turnover during the same period, my guess would be it will be a similar number to what we have signed in the same period. 

or I may be wide of the mark, have no idea where to gather that information though!!