IGNORED

My Club: Terry Cooper

glynriley

24 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Spot on. Can the will of the fans make that happen? Maybe the SC&T could lobby for it. The Cooper Stand. 

Until then I always think of TC when I go past the Coopers Arms.

Perhaps they'd consider a new pub sign with TC on it like Fatty on the old Wedlocks?

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Until then I always think of TC when I go past the Coopers Arms.

Perhaps they'd consider a new pub sign with TC on it like Fatty on the old Wedlocks?

Nice idea, but isn't the Coopers a free house, so the cost of a sign would fall to the licensee. When the pub opposite the ground was renamed Wedlocks (from the Star as it was called when Billy ran it) it was owned by the large conglomerate Grand Metropolitan (owners of Watneys, Ushers etc) who were going to refurbish the pub anyway following its transfer from Courage as part of pub exchanges in and around Bristol forced by the Merger and Monopolies Commission.

Personally I always felt changing downstairs to one single bar was a mistake. When my uncle ran the Star for Courage in the 70s he was able to have City fans in the bar at the front, and away fans in the saloon bar at the back. 

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

That South stand could do with a proper name. Can't think of a more deserving individual to name it after.

TC put his heart and soul into our club, I recall a national newspaper running an article when we were in the fourth showing how TC was as he says, doing everything, director, manager, player, scout, and so on right down to sweeping the changing rooms.

The Cooper Stand would be a fitting tribute.

Class left back and a good manager for City. Those were the days watching us at the bottom of the old 4th Div. Cooper turned us around and put a smile back on our faces, he also signed some decent players. Will always remember him with fondness ?

14 minutes ago, swanker said:

Class left back and a good manager for City. Those were the days watching us at the bottom of the old 4th Div. Cooper turned us around and put a smile back on our faces, he also signed some decent players. Will always remember him with fondness ?

TC was a very intelligent player who used his experience to the full. I lost count of the number of times he'd knock the ball past the winger or opposing full back and then run into the back of him to gain a free kick. 

As a manager of course he was not only skilled but an absolute delight. Always willing to discuss football I remember talking to him for a good half hour or more at a players award night in the old supporters club before I felt guilty of monopolising him for so long and letting him circulate further. 

4 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Spot on. Can the will of the fans make that happen? Maybe the SC&T could lobby for it. The Cooper Stand. 

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

TC put his heart and soul into our club, I recall a national newspaper running an article when we were in the fourth showing how TC was as he says, doing everything, director, manager, player, scout, and so on right down to sweeping the changing rooms.

...only a small point, but personally I’d much prefer it to be called The Terry Cooper Stand - I never understood why we just plonked surnames into stand names - Williams, Atyeo, Wedlock, Dolman - just seems a bit lazy and impersonal ...especially when you are talking about relatively common surnames in the case of Williams and Cooper ....I know the Williams Stand has obviously morphed into The Lansdown but now would be a good time to expand the names of each stand and make it crystal clear after whom they are named and give them their full names as a gesture of respect ...

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

The 1nil down 2.1 up Terry Cooper stand 

My favourite manager ever, yes over Dicks. TC invested his own money, time and passion. Sold tickets and rebuilt the team from the ground up.
So glad the lads in the stand at Chester that day, didn't actually drop him ..... it looked close !

There are a few who deserve the tag of Legend at City, TC is the head of that list . 

His tenure was a little before my time, but when the club released the DVD commemorating the 20th anniversary of that FRT win I bought it. The interview of TC crying brought a lump to my throat.

Fast forwards five years and I attended the reunion dinner to celebrate the Silver anniversary and got to meet the man himself. I thanked him for picking the club up and rebuilding it from the ashes. He didn’t say anything and shook my hand.

As me and my mate were leaving he told us to keep supporting the club, and what a great club it is. For me, it’s imperative that younger fans, and fans of the future know exactly what Terry Cooper did for the club. Renaming the South Stand would be fantastic, alas I don’t think it’s likely, but, at the very least he should be recognised somewhere within the stadium.

TC is more than a legend. Those who put their money in to save the club in 1982, from £10 to many thousands, are those who, many would say, saved us from extinction.

But Terry Cooper, as the Club Manager, and a heap of other jobs done in addition, is the one who rebuilt our dignity.

In my lifetime, I have been proud to have seen John Atyeo's playing and behaviour standards which still live within the Club and supporters.

Terry Cooper played and managed in the same way. No clogging, no cheating, playing football on the floor and in the right spirit. One of my proudest moments watching City was that Sunday afternoon at Northampton. We lost 1-7 but still tried to play football when many clubs and managers would have resorted to the dark arts.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

It would be fitting. The club need to get on with it though. We need to see him there at the unveiling. 

Legend in my eyes, he turned our club around and made us all proud again. He did an amazing job on such a small budget.

When he was player manager, it was amazing how he would come on at left back with 30 minutes to go, then totally transform the game. Has any left back had such an impact on a football team ever!

A stand.....or anything named after him would be a great tribute, tbh it’s hard to believe this hasn’t happened already, take away what TC did, and potentially we wouldn’t have a club now. 

Have told this before on OTIB.

I used to help out at Broad Plain House Boys Club and TC was chief guest one year for our  annual dinner and prize givings. His talk of how when young he was destined to go down the pits but through sheer hard work and dedication he got to be a pro footballer. It was so inspirational to a bunch of Knowle West kids.

He then answered their questions and mixed with them before leaving at 11.00. pm on a Friday night with a home game to manage next day.

Brilliant down to earth bloke with a big heart.

I was a mascot in 1983, if I recall we lost 3-1. TC asked after the captains met would you like to go back in the stand or stay on the bench. I stayed on the bench. He was great at free transfers and nominal fees, to name a few Bobby hutch, Walshy, Riley, Waugh, etc I liked Crawford aswell as a kid. He was a great man for our club.

Archived