IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

13 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The same goes with players, yes it’s not their responsibility, yes they have no obligation, yes they are employed by a different company blah blah blah, but they could choose to do something if they wanted to, it’s their money at the end of the day.

I suppose it's a bit like posters who spend a lot of time on here, but won't shell out a tenner to support the running costs of the forum.

They are under no obligation to do so, but they could choose to, it's their money at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Ingenuity from this German club.....

A German fourth-tier club have sold more than 100,000 tickets for a match against an "invisible opponent" - despite averaging crowds of 3,000.

Lokomotive Leipzig have been selling e-tickets for one euro (88p) each for the event, scheduled for 8 May. 

They are planning it to help cope with financial pressures resulting from the suspension of football in the country because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The club won the first German championship in 1903 as VfB Leipzig.

Lok's campaign started on 19 March and their target is 120,000, which they claim was the attendance for their 1987 Uefa Cup Winners' Cup semi-final home leg against Bordeaux.

Their highest gate this season at Bruno Plache Stadion was 4,498 against Energie Cottbus, and their average matchday revenue is 30,000 euros (£26,300).

A spokesperson for the club told BBC Sport that what was planned for 8 May remains a secret.

"There's going to be a live stream from the stadium, the floodlights will be switched on and our internet radio commentators will be working on the game," he said. "I can't tell you more at the moment."

He added: "The money will be used to keep Lok running - we have 300 youth players, we need to pay the staff and look after the facilities."

The 126-year-old club made regular appearances in European competition in the 1960s through to the 1980s.

The Cup Winners’ Cup run of 1987 was particularly memorable, ending in the final with a 1-0 defeat by Ajax, whose goalscorer was Dutch great Marco van Basten.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ingenuity from this German club.....

A German fourth-tier club have sold more than 100,000 tickets for a match against an "invisible opponent" - despite averaging crowds of 3,000.

Lokomotive Leipzig have been selling e-tickets for one euro (88p) each for the event, scheduled for 8 May. 

They are planning it to help cope with financial pressures resulting from the suspension of football in the country because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The club won the first German championship in 1903 as VfB Leipzig.

Lok's campaign started on 19 March and their target is 120,000, which they claim was the attendance for their 1987 Uefa Cup Winners' Cup semi-final home leg against Bordeaux.

Their highest gate this season at Bruno Plache Stadion was 4,498 against Energie Cottbus, and their average matchday revenue is 30,000 euros (£26,300).

A spokesperson for the club told BBC Sport that what was planned for 8 May remains a secret.

"There's going to be a live stream from the stadium, the floodlights will be switched on and our internet radio commentators will be working on the game," he said. "I can't tell you more at the moment."

He added: "The money will be used to keep Lok running - we have 300 youth players, we need to pay the staff and look after the facilities."

The 126-year-old club made regular appearances in European competition in the 1960s through to the 1980s.

The Cup Winners’ Cup run of 1987 was particularly memorable, ending in the final with a 1-0 defeat by Ajax, whose goalscorer was Dutch great Marco van Basten.

Random question from that article - didn`t Vilmos Seebok go to Energie Cottbus after he left us?

11 hours ago, phantom said:

20200407_073419.jpg

So does that mean players receive their weekly wage for a longer period than initially contracted? I guess some players whose future was uncertain will take that as a bonus (a stay of execution for some).

It means Afobe could be involved in all our remaining fixtures 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good PR. :thumbs up:

Oh it's not though. They are being charged by the hour to use the car park.

They only way they can avoid it is to but 2 decaf lattes, a bacon roll and a pecan slice from the coffee shop.

Those driving in for a test need to show their season ticket and then agree to spending money in the superstore. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thanks for posting the link mate as it has another link in it to the `on this day` feature.

3-0 over Swindon - what a night that was! The night we truly believed we were going up.

That Joe Bryan goal, wow, just wow!

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Thanks for posting the link mate as it has another link in it to the `on this day` feature.

3-0 over Swindon - what a night that was! The night we truly believed we were going up.

That Joe Bryan goal, wow, just wow!

It was a great night. Cotts' reaction when the third went in was magic!

I've been following the club since I was a nipper in the early 5O's and that season under Cott's was one of the best. It was only L1 but we were such a force. Felt like we were riding the crest of a wave.

Fantastic times, pity the 'Gate was being redeveloped at the time, otherwise the home crowds would have been 20k plus I reckon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Oh it's not though. They are being charged by the hour to use the car park.

They only way they can avoid it is to but 2 decaf lattes, a bacon roll and a pecan slice from the coffee shop.

Those driving in for a test need to show their season ticket and then agree to spending money in the superstore. 

But what about the guy who opens and closes the gate to the car park. Had he been furloughed and now has to come back into work? Is he employed by Bristol City, Ashton Gate Ltd or Bristol Sport? We need to know - there’s gotta be a story in there somewhere for someone to run with!!! ?

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

But what about the guy who opens and closes the gate to the car park. Had he been furloughed and now has to come back into work? Is he employed by Bristol City, Ashton Gate Ltd or Bristol Sport? We need to know - there’s gotta be a story in there somewhere for someone to run with!!! ?

In keeping with current regulations, he is now 80% pressure pad, and 20% a high-viz memory of a bygone age.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Shouldn't bite but utilising tax payers money from the very jurisdiction someone left owing to taxation- ain't a good look, and yes there is an element of newsworthiness there.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I suppose it's a bit like posters who spend a lot of time on here, but won't shell out a tenner to support the running costs of the forum.

They are under no obligation to do so, but they could choose to, it's their money at the end of the day.

As you’ve asked so nicely and have not been condescending or patronising I’ve subscribed

• Like 5

Nice of Spurs to 'remind players' of social distancing after video emerges of Mourinhio training a group of players in public - who clearly weren't adhering to the guidance the majority of us are trying to do. Was it essential to hold a training session? Hell no.

Football is a joke at some of the levels of this game and the hypocrecy and lack of giving a shit (so many example recently- Liverpool, Grelish, Walker etc, etc).  While I accept there are some doing great stuff at this time to help, there are too many that think they are above what we are all being asked to do.

IT REALLY ISN'T DIFFICULT! But here we see yet another example of basically two fingers up to the NHS and those who are vulnerable in the name if sport. It's a ******* joke and there are ZERO excuses why footballers/managers should be ignoring the advice.

Still it's nice that Spurs have 'reminded' them of their responsibilities, I'm sure that'll make a difference. 

Edit: as with all media reports, if this is fake news and is a video of an historic event made to look recent then I hold my hand up and apologise and take this post criticising Spurs back- given though that the club has responded would suggest it's genuine)

Edited by Loco Rojo

• Admin
12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside arguments over it, this could be really quite a big development if any truth.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html

Won't pass a judgement but who knows how things would pan out...

At least the sags wouldn't be able to tag us with '82, they'd have to update to '20 (or '21 in worst case....)

• Like 1

• Admin
23 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Cough cough @Bristol Rob

image.png

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A sign of things to come?

Yep and I have to be honest and say that this was always gonna come with or without the virus.

I have a feeling football will look very different in a few years time. 

55 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Yep and I have to be honest and say that this was always gonna come with or without the virus.

I have a feeling football will look very different in a few years time. 

Not just football,  but society, banking, employment, etc., - it's all due a reset.  And we're going to get it.  We will come out of this a different country/world.

• Like 2