Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

18 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I still want to know when they think the tipping point is, when too many people have no work, when the government coffers are running dry and society starts to break down, because if we don't get back to some normality, that'll happen - how big a step from panic buying to looting and rioting?  At some point they might have to decide to return to work and accept the consequences.

Government will have to fill the void. Perhaps employment of those out of work in socially useful work, while normal economic activity suspended. 

Rationing if necessary. This is a global problem, all must make sacrifices until such a time as it is resolved. 

Ideally, until the worst has been passed, all debt, bills etc waived. Then maybe businesses can merely be mothballed as opposed to wholesale bankruptcies and economic collapse. 

Easier said than done obviously...

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes. 

Having been out and about all week it has to happen unfortunately as panic buying is going to get worse and also I have to say some of the older generation are ignoring the advice. The amount of 80+ year olds I've seen out and about is crazy. Ones that clearly have other health issues too and some even coughing and spluttering. 

Army will be involved too I reckon. Brace yourselves. 

I realise it’s an addiction, but the single maddest thing I’ve seen today was a bloke of around 70 having a fag outside a pub while spluttering. Insane.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes. 

Having been out and about all week it has to happen unfortunately as panic buying is going to get worse and also I have to say some of the older generation are ignoring the advice. The amount of 80+ year olds I've seen out and about is crazy. Ones that clearly have other health issues too and some even coughing and spluttering. 

Army will be involved too I reckon. Brace yourselves. 

Like this

FB_IMG_1584566504649.jpg

28 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Apparently this was one persons rations for a week in the war, I assume bread and veg were added, but how would many cope with that.....

ration.jpg

Ah, but they did have 150 toilet rolls in the outside lab!

24 minutes ago, Paul G said:

Like this

FB_IMG_1584566504649.jpg

Bullshit. Overtaking a hummer on left. That if true is in America not the m25 :laugh:.

The crap people scaremongering with.

I have no doubt the military's going to be involved at some point.. but not driving yank hummers on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

Edited by TRL
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, TRL said:

Bullshit. Overtaking a hummer on left. That if true is in America not the m25 :laugh:.

The crap people scaremongering with.

I have no doubt the military's going to be involved at some point.. but not driving yank hummers on the wrong side of the road :laugh:

Yes, being ex Army I know its bullcrap just thought it slightly amusing amongst all the sad news we are dealing with at the moment. My apologies. 

2 minutes ago, Paul G said:

Yes, being ex Army I know its bullcrap just thought it slightly amusing amongst all the sad news we are dealing with at the moment. My apologies. 

Sorry that wasn't aimed at you it was aimed at the picture and caption on it

35 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That can't happen in a sovereign country.

So where does the money come from, if there is no tax take (at least virtually nothing) and it’s being paid out hand over fist.... there must be a finite point and before that I’d expect society to break down, far too many selfish people about for it not to.

12 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So where does the money come from, if there is no tax take (at least virtually nothing) and it’s being paid out hand over fist.... there must be a finite point and before that I’d expect society to break down, far too many selfish people about for it not to.

Where does money always come from?

8 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Where does money always come from?

You can’t just print money, it becomes worthless, we’ve seen it in other countries where things cost just a ridiculous amount, because the financial system isn’t viable.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You can’t just print money, it becomes worthless, we’ve seen it in other countries where things cost just a ridiculous amount, because the financial system isn’t viable.  

The usual economic rules are out of the window right now, globally.

Like in a World War.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

If you're concerned about this and wish to take on board some interesting and practical economics I'lI suggest what I always suggest, and that is to follow Richard Murphy's blog. 

35 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You can’t just print money

Yes you can. If you have your own currency you can do this up to a point and the Bank of England have already said they will. Normally this would cause inflation but in the current climate who knows?

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This has all just got a bit too much for me. Following the info I posted above and my Nan being in hospital since that chest infection / pneumonia I sadly got a call this evening to say she’d passed away.

I don’t know if I had CV, I don’t know if I passed it to her and I don’t know if she had it, but anyone who isn’t taking this isolation and social distancing seriously (especially if it’s because you think you’ll be fine) please re think your decisions and who it could impact.

I was a bit dismissive of the panic at first and thought maybe some people were being over the top worrying but do what you’ve got to do people. I’ll be the last to compete about a lockdown now, and I certainly couldn’t care less what happens with football anymore.

please stay safe everyone x

Sorry for your loss :(

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This has all just got a bit too much for me. Following the info I posted above and my Nan being in hospital since that chest infection / pneumonia I sadly got a call this evening to say she’d passed away.

I don’t know if I had CV, I don’t know if I passed it to her and I don’t know if she had it, but anyone who isn’t taking this isolation and social distancing seriously (especially if it’s because you think you’ll be fine) please re think your decisions and who it could impact.

I was a bit dismissive of the panic at first and thought maybe some people were being over the top worrying but do what you’ve got to do people. I’ll be the last to compete about a lockdown now, and I certainly couldn’t care less what happens with football anymore.

I’m very sorry for your loss, sincere condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your nan. x

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes you can. If you have your own currency you can do this up to a point and the Bank of England have already said they will. Normally this would cause inflation but in the current climate who knows?

Quantitative easing. Governments just print more money. They did it during the Financial crisis of 2008. That’s going to look like small beer compared to this. And the usual rules of inflation don’t apply when you are attempting to stave off a depression.

I got taken to task a few days ago for saying that we needed universal income, where the government pays us all an amount to just keep going. Strangely enough a few days later even seasoned economists are saying the same thing. These are the most abnormal times many of us will ever go through. There has been nothing like it since the Second World War and some of the solutions to helping as many people survive as possible will have to be as radical and draconian as they were during wartime.

I was never very nostalgic for the supposed “blitz spirit” and I am even less so now. You only have to go to your local supermarket to already see some of the worst of human behaviour. Thankfully there are good people out there and the vast majority are acting appropriately but this definitely going to be a marathon not a sprint and we are all going to be personally tested in different ways.

As for the football, common sense says scrap next season and just somehow finish the fixtures from this one before summer 2021. However, vested interests, particular TV and betting, make me think that there will be a lot of pressure to start playing games again even if they all have to be behind closed doors.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, phantom said:

20200318_175945.jpg

All about how people interpret latest figures 

Damned if they do damned if they don

7 hours ago, Stortz said:

Strange how no other country in the world has made the same mistake, wouldn't you say?

Blimey, all you do is moan, moan, moan. Give it a break. You might enjoy it.

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Many countries are close to a vaccine breakthrough including the UK. But then you have to move on to clinical trials, production and roll out... That will take many months, years in normal times.

These aren't normal times though, I expect to see an unprecedented fast tracking of possible vaccines, the Australian use of HIV medicines sounds very promising they are already fairly tried and tested. 

Edited by pillred
Swap word
10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Why would you post a link to nothing more than a personal opinions left wing blog? We know your opinion and it's respected but tagging on someone else's who has the same thoughts is supposed to do what exactly?

• Curr Avon changed the title to Preston testing for Covid
  • phantom locked this topic
  • phantom unlocked this topic