IGNORED

On the bench...

Silvio Dante

Mildly interesting article on the BEP website of players who have been on the bench for us since 2000 but never played a game in the league.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-citys-nearly-men-players-4087664

21 prior players on the list, 13 goalkeepers (as expected). How many do you reckon you can get before clicking the link?

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I might be wrong but I’m sure I remember Darren Caskey getting some game time. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I thought the same

Nah, Caskey never performed for us, I remember him doing ok for Notts County in a game versus Bristol City at Meadow Lane - he got lots of stick that day, but he just smiled, cos he was a fine player 

9 hours ago, Offside said:

I might be wrong but I’m sure I remember Darren Caskey getting some game time. 

Reserve only I think. Definitely never made a first team appearance. One of those signings where you think what was the point. He was very clearly overweight, and for the short time he was going to be with us, was never going to be match fit.

4 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

Tyreeq Bakinson is on the list of the current players to have sat on the bench but not made an appearance.

Could have sworn he played in the league cup (either against Stoke or Palace) when he came off the bench.

Yep, he played versus Palace. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-discusses-young-talent-676530

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

Surprised to see Bakinson on this list. Thought he made a sub appearance at least

1 hour ago, Red Homer said:

Tyreeq Bakinson is on the list of the current players to have sat on the bench but not made an appearance.

Could have sworn he played in the league cup (either against Stoke or Palace) when he came off the bench.

He did

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mildly interesting article on the BEP website of players who have been on the bench for us since 2000 but never played a game in the league.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-citys-nearly-men-players-4087664

21 prior players on the list, 13 goalkeepers (as expected). How many do you reckon you can get before clicking the link?

Dave Richards won the “double” with us!!!

• Admin
14 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There`s one there that surprised me as I would have put money on him having playied a couple of games at least but evidently not.

I have to admit many of those keepers I have no memory of, @Lanterne Rouge I reckon we could be on about the same player (DC)?

I remember the season after we let him go he signed for Hornchurch

At the time they were the latest non league team to be splashing the cash and their first game of the season (after being promoted) was at Weston,

There were many City fans at the game, DC was giving it all the Billy big bollocks stuff in the warm up and then in the game, started reacting more and more to the banter from the crowd about him being a waste of money for us and his rotund physique

The game finished with a sending off and anyone that knows Westons ground will know the players walk off past the supporters and can remember a free for a all caused by DC giving it large across the dividing fence and ended with supporters pushing and shoving one side of the fence and the two squads kicking off the other side going into the changing rooms

I can still picture a group of their fans in the bar claiming to be West Ham's top boys, and some lad from Weston just walking over and putting this gobby lad flat on his arse. I have never seen a team coach and supporters coach leave the area so quickly.

But the best bit about all this as I know a few people at Weston we were already talking to their Manager and a few players and they were staying in a hotel in Weston that night, so we jumped on their team coach, got a lift to the sea front and spent the night on the piss with them, and yes DC was still giving it large and still getting stick from City fans all night until some Reading fans turned up and treated him like Wael getting carried down Gloucester Road

Personally always thought he was a poor mans Lee Tomlin

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought that as well but the distinction the BEP made was “league” games and I don’t think he’s played one of those

I can’t see a reference to league matches in the article*

*Its been a long day so I may have lost my reading ability

Archived