IGNORED

WW2 Discussions

sticks 1969

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We won the war, they've won everything since (pretty much). It's still a surprise that we managed to win the war (all on our own, let's not forget) when you think about it. 

I think the Americans might not agree with that 

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We won the war, they've won everything since (pretty much). It's still a surprise that we managed to win the war (all on our own, let's not forget) when you think about it. 

We stood alone for a while ie between the fall of France, parts of the Battle of Britain and the invasion of the Soviet Union by Germany, absolutely.

All by ourselves overall? Interesting reading of history...think the other Western Allies PLUS the Soviets (not an entity anymore granted) may have a thing or two to say about that!

51 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Deaths in WW2....UK 383,700, USSR (as was) 8,668,000....now tell me we were on our Jack Jones

Need to check the numbers there. Soviet deaths at least 10 X the UK & US.

In the order of 25 million, if not more.

Battle of Stalingrad alone accounted for more Soviet deaths than all the UK& US deaths in WW2.

75% to 80% of WW2 was fought on the eastern front.

I recommend Russia's War by the renown expert Richard Overy, to dispel the "we won the war" nonsense.

Americans - Machinery

Soviets - Bodies

United Kingdom - Time

One of the best (and simplistic, I’ll grant you) descriptions of the allied contributions to the war effort.

Never underestimate how important holding out and resisting for that first 18 months was.

If there’s no stubborn little island holding out and and causing problems in Northern Europe and North Africa, the frighteningly efficient and advanced German war machine goes very, very far, very quick. The US is in no position to defend the east coast.

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Battle of Stalingrad alone accounted for more Soviet deaths than all the UK& US deaths in WW2.

I recommend Russia's War by the renown expert Richard Overy, to dispel the "we won the war" nonsense.

Some interesting facts and shocking numbers of dead 

5 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Don’t be so needlessly apologetic. 

The Allied forces won the war of which we were a huge, huge part of.

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

I think the Americans might not agree with that 

You’d think the Americans had done it all on the their own going by war movies. 

If it wasn’t for pearl harbour, who knows what would have happened. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You’d think the Americans had done it all on the their own going by war movies. 

If it wasn’t for pearl harbour, who knows what would have happened. 

Forget Pearl harbour, if we would have fallen in early 1940, the US east coast becomes extremely vulnerable to an unchecked war machine that at the time made the us effort look second rate.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We stood alone for a while ie between the fall of France, parts of the Battle of Britain and the invasion of the Soviet Union by Germany, absolutely.

All by ourselves overall? Interesting reading of history...think the other Western Allies PLUS the Soviets (not an entity anymore granted) may have a thing or two to say about that!

We stood alone for all of 1 day during ww2 , 1 day after we declare war Australia and New Zealand came to our side, 3 days later south Africa and 4 days after Canada, so really we where never on our own and didn't win anything on our own, a good example is the British 8th army where only 25% of the men in it came from Britain

3 minutes ago, winsaw said:

We stood alone for all of 1 day during ww2 , 1 day after we declare war Australia and New Zealand came to our side, 3 days later south Africa and 4 days after Canada, so really we where never on our own and didn't win anything on our own, a good example is the British 8th army where only 25% of the men in it came from Britain

My fathers side of the family are Canadian and they are so proud of their British heritage and that arm of the family’s contribution to the war effort. 

It certainly was very important to have so many parts of the world to help us hold out against the Axis countries.

54 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Don’t be so needlessly apologetic. 

The Allied forces won the war of which we were a huge, huge part of.

You believe what you want, it fits the post war MSM narrative.

I'm quite happy with the research and reading that I've done and the opinion I've reached ?

When Uli Hoeness, Chief Something or Other at Bayern said that season tickets were cheap because of other revenues and therefore they didn’t need to take advantage of the fans, you got a sense that German football has its head screwed on.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

WE NEVER STOOD ALONE, many people from other countries joined with us as soon as they could and gave their lives for Britain et al . a lot of the BOB pilots were not british born from the start. 

7 minutes ago, reddoh said:

WE NEVER STOOD ALONE, many people from other countries joined with us as soon as they could and gave their lives for Britain et al . a lot of the BOB pilots were not british born from the start. 

As I am sure many of the contributors to this thread with Polish heritage will testify.

9 hours ago, reddoh said:

Indeed, a good few were Polish

A lot of sentiment remained after the First World War, helping to rally our Commonwealth compatriots to our aid when another conflict broke out. We stood together, although there is little doubt that the entry by the USA was a significant addition to the fight. If they had clung on to their policy not to get involved in another European war it would have been a different story altogether. That said, the Americans on their own would not have been anywhere near as successful.

Archived